Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More BULLSH*T from Fox Sports on Burrow
(04-14-2020, 12:11 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Burrow's comments are realistic, I suppose, but also disappointing to some extent.  I don't need him chanting "Who Dey!" but I'd rather hear him say, "It's a privilege to be in the NFL and potentially be the #1 pick.  I'll take on the challenge of helping the team that drafts me."  Instead, he's offering criticism for the concept of how drafts work, with his engineering comment about such professionals picking where they want to work, and the persevere comment reeks of, "I'll have to deal with being a Bengal."

As a Bengals fan, it just sucks this is the narrative: the potential #1 pick is weary of getting drafted by the Bengals.

After he's drafted and is on the Bengals, it will be interesting to see how he responds in interviews.  Does he continue the ambiguous comments or focus on football and winning?

That's the double edged sword of wanting a franchise face who is cocky and confident enough to speak his mind.  We are now sick to death of Dalton putting his niceguy varnish on everything and if we are going to embrace a confident fellow who isn't afraid to rattle some cages this is what we are going to get.

We want Burrow to call people out when they blow it and well, the Bengals have been blowing it for years so here we are and let's see how we respond.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:24 AM)Synric Wrote: All this is really the Bengals own fault they havent been relevant since the 80s. It's so bad that most of these guys don't actually know anything about the team... until the Bengals start winning post-season games it's going to be like this.

That's not entirely true though.  Do you remember any of this talk when Cleveland had the number one pick and an owner that is even worse than Mike Brown when it comes to running an organization?
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 11:32 AM)Synric Wrote:

It amazes me that someone can pretty much tell it like it is when it comes to the current state of the NFL and the Bengals and it gets transferred to "he just isn't thrilled about playing here"

Guys, he's already said that he's going to play with whoever drafts him and his dad has already said that "they" would be thrilled if he ended up in Cincy.  Let's face it, the number one team is NEVER the perfect landing spot.  They usually stink, but the cupboard isn't bare here - by far.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 12:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: That's not entirely true though.  Do you remember any of this talk when Cleveland had the number one pick and an owner that is even worse than Mike Brown when it comes to running an organization?

It's hard to compare the situations because prior to the Baker 1st overall pick the Browns hired a new GM who was the guy who drafted Mahommes so I can see why that change at the guard gave critics the idea that Cleveland could be turning things around.

The media likes motion and action more than results unless you are like winning the SB every 2 years.  For example, no one cared about Tampa Bay for over a decade but they get Tom Brady, a man who may very well instantly turn to dust in 2020 but they are big news because they got him.  Big moves make for a happy media, but that doesn't mean it always pays off ala the Browns in 2019.

We've done a lot this FA period and it got the media talking and got us some positive hype, so it's not like the media refuses to acknowledge us when we do show a pulse. The idea that the media absolutely hates the idea of us being interesting seems like some victim complex, or something. The media gushes over Green Bay and Pittsburgh and other small market teams because they win and/or do stuff. You people act like we could win the SB and the media would be like "Well the Bengals are hoisting the Lombardi now, but we're going to cut away to a live video of Jerry Jones dozing off in a recliner at home."
Reply/Quote
Joe Burrow, when asked on @1045espn on being the No. 1 pick and potentially going to Cincinnati: "Whatever team I go to, it's going to be a challenge to begin in. I'm going to have to persevere through it, just like I've done in the past."

By running away to another team when things get tough?  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Joe Burrow, when asked on @1045espn on being the No. 1 pick and potentially going to Cincinnati: "Whatever team I go to, it's going to be a challenge to begin in. I'm going to have to persevere through it, just like I've done in the past."

Josh Bynes.
Zac Tatlor.
AJ Green.
Joe Burrow.

Am I leaving anybody out?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think Burrow's attitude has been exactly right. More power to the kid for showing some rightful skepticism.

He telling Mike Brown he wont stay for second contract unless the Bengals get serious about winning.

Didn't the Bengals show they are serious about winning in free agency this year.

Is it all that hard to connect the lines between Burrow saying he wants to be with a serious team and the Bengals blowing it out on free agency?
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 12:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Joe Burrow, when asked on @1045espn on being the No. 1 pick and potentially going to Cincinnati: "Whatever team I go to, it's going to be a challenge to begin in. I'm going to have to persevere through it, just like I've done in the past."

Considering there is a finite time to play college football, I can't blame any QB for transferring instead of staying on as a backup.

And, yes, he did persevere through it.  He didn't transfer after 1 year on the bench, he transferred after it was pretty clear that he wasn't going to play AND he graduated.  
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 12:56 PM)bengals67 Wrote: I think Burrow's attitude has been exactly right. More power to the kid for showing some rightful skepticism.

He telling Mike Brown he wont stay for second contract unless the Bengals get serious about winning.

Didn't the Bengals show they are serious about winning in free agency this year.

Is it all that hard to connect the lines between Burrow saying he wants to be with a serious team and the Bengals blowing it out on free agency?

I agree with most of this, but who knows on this last part.  Mike Brown has shown before that he doesn't let players call the shots, so I assume he'd be less likely to let the words of someone who isn't even on the team yet dictate what he does.

I hope we take Burrow, but there is always going to be that doubt in the back of my mind that Mike Brown is more interested in getting a player who "wants to be here."  It just fits his "I am the decider" mentality.  Then again, taking a QB like Burrow and #1 overall and then declaring himself a good GM because of it fits his MO, too.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 12:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: That's the double edged sword of wanting a franchise face who is cocky and confident enough to speak his mind.  We are now sick to death of Dalton putting his niceguy varnish on everything and if we are going to embrace a confident fellow who isn't afraid to rattle some cages this is what we are going to get.

We want Burrow to call people out when they blow it and well, the Bengals have been blowing it for years so here we are and let's see how we respond.

Good point.  Maybe Burrow will have the continued confidence to try and influence the coaches, front office, and ownership. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I agree with most of this, but who knows on this last part.  Mike Brown has shown before that he doesn't let players call the shots, so I assume he'd be less likely to let the words of someone who isn't even on the team yet dictate what he does.

I hope we take Burrow, but there is always going to be that doubt in the back of my mind that Mike Brown is more interested in getting a player who "wants to be here."  It just fits his "I am the decider" mentality.  Then again, taking a QB like Burrow and #1 overall and then declaring himself a good GM because of it fits his MO, too.

Very true.  The spending and cutting players is pretty new for him.  I'm guessing the empty stands and the "they better not screw this up" stance from the fans had more to do with it.

He has shown in the past that when they draft a franchise type QB, the team usually puts pieces around him. 
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:07 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Very true.  The spending and cutting players is pretty new for him.  I'm guessing the empty stands and the "they better not screw this up" stance from the fans had more to do with it.

He has shown in the past that when they draft a franchise type QB, the team usually puts pieces around him. 

With Palmer and Dalton it seems like Mike Brown has a tendency to go all-in (well...relatively speaking) in the early years and then it gets to a point where things get stale and he stops putting as much money and effort into things.  It was easy enough to blame Palmer for taking such a huge contract, but Dalton followed-up by taking a team-friendly deal and MB still let him twist in the proverbial wind.

There is a definite honeymoon period with MB and his franchise QBs and if someone as stupid as me can see that, Burrow and his advisors are taking note, as well.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: With Palmer and Dalton it seems like Mike Brown has a tendency to go all-in (well...relatively speaking) in the early years and then it gets to a point where things get stale and he stops putting as much money and effort into things.  It was easy enough to blame Palmer for taking such a huge contract, but Dalton followed-up by taking a team-friendly deal and MB still let him twist in the proverbial wind.

There is a definite honeymoon period with MB and his franchise QBs and if someone as stupid as me can see that, Burrow and his advisors are taking note, as well.

I think this time it's a little different.  The fans sent a message the last couple years that they were done blindly supporting the team.  I think this year they finally jumped into the modern NFL when it comes to roster management.  It will definitely be interesting to see how things are in year 3-4 with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
Here's the full quotes in context:

--- Now his sights are set on the NFL as next week's draft rapidly approaches with the Cincinnati Bengals on the clock. It has been reported that the Bengals have "maxed out" their allotted three, one hour calls with Burrow every week, leaving little doubt in people's minds where Burrow will end up.

--- Burrow said that regardless of the situation he goes to, he knows he'll have to work extremely hard to build a winning culture within the organization. The pre draft process has been nothing like Burrow expected because of the COVID-19 outbreak, but he's making the best of the circumstances as he's home with his parents currently in Athens, Ohio.

"It's been super weird because you have zoom meetings and then it's like high school again, I'm stuck at home with my parents and the only time I get out of the house is to workout," Burrow said. "Let's just say it's not been how I envisioned my pre draft process going. 

"Whatever team I go to is going to be a challenge at the beginning and I'm going to have to persevere through it. Without OTA's this year, you're going to have less time with your team so there's going to be ups and downs but you've gotta battle through it."

--- Burrow noted how the draft process used by the NFL and other sports leagues differs from those in other professions.

"Engineers don't get drafted to certain companies," Burrow said. "That's kind of peculiar in the capitalistic ways of the United States. But that's how it is. And the teams that have the worst year pick at that the top and that's why they're there."

--- The projected top pick said complications caused by the global pandemic creates more uncertainty in joining a team such as the Bengals.

"You might have a really good first year," Burrow said. "You might have a really bad first year. You don't really know, especially without OTAs this year. You're going to have less time with your team. So there's going to be ups and downs, for sure. You're just going to have to battle through it."
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: "You might have a really good first year," Burrow said. "You might have a really bad first year. You don't really know, especially without OTAs this year. You're going to have less time with your team. So there's going to be ups and downs, for sure. You're just going to have to battle through it."

This seems pretty logical and rational.  I know it might not sit well with the "Burrow only thinks of winning and is 10000000% confident he's gonna be the best ever" crowd, but I'm a lot more hopeful now that I see Burrow has an actual function mind.  Also, I"m exaggerating a bit, but ehh...you get it.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This seems pretty logical and rational.  I know it might not sit well with the "Burrow only thinks of winning and is 10000000% confident he's gonna be the best ever" crowd, but I'm a lot more hopeful now that I see Burrow has an actual function mind.  Also, I"m exaggerating a bit, but ehh...you get it.

Yeah, it shows he has a good grasp on the situation...not only being the #1 pick and what that entails, but also the challenges of being a rookie QB in this current situation with the Covid-19 issues.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, it shows he has a good grasp on the situation...not only being the #1 pick and what that entails, but also the challenges of being a rookie QB in this current situation with the Covid-19 issues.

Though I'll admit it would be interesting to see him strut into the stadium on day one wearing a BIG DICK JOE hat and telling everyone that he is #1 and the super awesomest thing ever.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Though I'll admit it would be interesting to see him strut into the stadium on day one wearing a BIG DICK JOE hat and telling everyone that he is #1 and the super awesomest thing ever.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:34 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hilarious

[Image: 150423_2861312_Discriminating_Gentlemen.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2020, 01:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Though I'll admit it would be interesting to see him strut into the stadium on day one wearing a BIG DICK JOE hat and telling everyone that he is #1 and the super awesomest thing ever.

You had me at BIG DICK JOE...
Reply/Quote