Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Eifert concern?
(06-12-2018, 08:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Did anyone really think that Eifert was going to just come back, all healed and strong like he'd never been injured?  C'mon, did you really think that?  I've said this before, but I'll say it again.  Once you've had spinal issues, you're never "the same" again.  - From a guy that had to stop playing adult football, due to a back injury.

We should have moved on.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 07:18 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: We should have moved on.  

I think many of us feel the same. Now we just got to play it out.

Reply/Quote
From Bengals.com today.

Eifert may not be ready by the start of training camp in 43 days.
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 10:06 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yeah, barring any unseen immediate needs, I think a good TE should be on the radar fairly high next year.

IMO, a 1st or 2nd round pick on a TE is starting to look pretty wasteful. It's not like Eifert is alone.

Dennis Pitta - Career ended by injuries
Jordan Cameron - Career ended by injuries
Rob Gronkowski - Has missed 20.3% of his career games
Jordan Reed - Has missed 35.0% of his career games
Julius Thomas - Has missed 36.6% of his career games
Travis Kelce - Has straightened himself out, but missed his entire rookie season
Kyle Rudolph - Missed 15 games between 2013 and 2014
Zach Miller - Has missed 54.2% of his career games
Dwayne Allen - Has missed 23.0% of his career games
Owen Daniels - Missed 22.3% of his career games
Ladarius Green - Missed 33.8% of his games in 5 years, now out of the league due to nagging injuries

This isn't even the half of it. Sure you may find an iron man like Greg Olsen (who just had his first serious injury), but it's like the odds of finding a Golden State fan that was around before 2014. Most of these guys seem to get dinged up all the time. Maybe not quite to the level of Eifert, Pitta, Cameron or Lararius Green, but finding a stud TE who also doesn't miss games is pretty rare.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 04:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: IMO, a 1st or 2nd round pick on a TE is starting to look pretty wasteful. It's not like Eifert is alone.

Dennis Pitta - Career ended by injuries
Jordan Cameron - Career ended by injuries
Rob Gronkowski - Has missed 20.3% of his career games
Jordan Reed - Has missed 35.0% of his career games
Julius Thomas - Has missed 36.6% of his career games
Travis Kelce - Has straightened himself out, but missed his entire rookie season
Kyle Rudolph - Missed 15 games between 2013 and 2014
Zach Miller - Has missed 54.2% of his career games
Dwayne Allen - Has missed 23.0% of his career games
Owen Daniels - Missed 22.3% of his career games
Ladarius Green - Missed 33.8% of his games in 5 years, now out of the league due to nagging injuries

This isn't even the half of it. Sure you may find an iron man like Greg Olsen (who just had his first serious injury), but it's like the odds of finding a Golden State fan that was around before 2014. Most of these guys seem to get dinged up all the time. Maybe not quite to the level of Eifert, Pitta, Cameron or Lararius Green, but finding a stud TE who also doesn't miss games is pretty rare.
Thanks for posting. TE is a pretty brutal position to play specially in the NFL.

He still sucks though!

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 04:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From Bengals.com today.

[Image: 17iek1.jpg]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 04:11 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Thanks for posting. TE is a pretty brutal position to play specially in the NFL.

He still sucks though!

Wasn't defending Eifert so much as questioning ever spending a 1st on a TE again.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 04:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wasn't defending Eifert so much as questioning ever spending a 1st on a TE again.

Yeah, I know. I'm in a good mood and felt it would make me feel even better taking a shot at Eifert. However, after reconsidering, I don't want to shatter his ego. That could end his career. I mean, he spends a lot of time on his ass nursing an injury. Where else would he be trolling but on the BB.

Reply/Quote
Alas, gone are those halcyon days where we were winning 10+ games per year and predicting Hill and Eifert were going to be key pieces in multiple championship runs. Welp, life goes on. Here's hoping we aren't tossing Mixon and Ross out in the trash in 2020.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 04:17 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yeah, I know. I'm in a good mood and felt it would make me feel even better taking a shot at Eifert. However, after reconsidering, I don't want to shatter his ego. That could end his career. I mean, he spends a lot of time on his ass nursing an injury. Where else would he be trolling but on the BB.

BREAKING NEWS: Bengals Tight End Tyler Eifert is suffering from cramped feelings after a message board blow from HarleyDog sent him reeling. He's now expected to miss 4-6 years.

Seriously though, I looked at the 1st round TE's over the last 10 drafts:

OJ Howard - Bucs
Evan Engram - Giants
David Njoku - Browns
Eric Ebron - Lions
Tyler Eifert - Bengals
Jermaine Gresham - Bengals
Brandon Pettigrew - Lions
Dustin Keller - Jets

Pretty ugly little list. Is it coincidence that the Lions and Bengals have taken 2 each and they're sitting on the 2 longest playoff droughts? Hmm...
Reply/Quote
If he doesn't end up playing this season his career might be toast.

I just don't get the severity of the injury if they are saying he may not be ready 45 days from now......wtf is wrong with him?
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 04:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: IMO, a 1st or 2nd round pick on a TE is starting to look pretty wasteful. It's not like Eifert is alone.

I wasn't speaking along the lines of 1st or 2nd.  Maybe 3rd, 4th, or FA.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 04:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: From Bengals.com today.

[Image: 799975.jpg]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 05:01 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: If he doesn't end up playing this season his career might be toast.  

I just don't get the severity of the injury if they are saying he may not be ready 45 days from now......wtf is wrong with him?

If you've never dealt with a disc issue, it's really tough to understand just how limited a person is when it's aggravated.  I have a pair of damaged discs.  When I'm healthy, I feel fine and can do most things.  Run, weight train, do physical work, etc.  In the first year, after the injury, I got back in shape and tried to play football again.  1st time I laid into making a tackle, I had to miss 3 days of work.  No more football for me.  Other things I never do again, basketball or anything involving  hard landings, waterskiing, holding a bent over position for any real length of time.  You getting the picture?

I seriously think for his own best interest, and being able to continue a normal life and play with his kids, Tyler should consider retirement.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 05:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you've never dealt with a disc issue, it's really tough to understand just how limited a person is when it's aggravated.  I have a pair of damaged discs.  When I'm healthy, I feel fine and can do most things.  Run, weight train, do physical work, etc.  In the first year, after the injury, I got back in shape and tried to play football again.  1st time I laid into making a tackle, I had to miss 3 days of work.  No more football for me.  Other things I never do again, basketball or anything involving  hard landings, waterskiing, holding a bent over position for any real length of time.  You getting the picture?

I seriously think for his own best interest, and being able to continue a normal life and play with his kids, Tyler should consider retirement.

Good description Sunset.  As much as I ache to think what a healthy Eifert would mean to us I agree with your assessment.  If it's as bad as it sounds he should retire and have a shot at an active life with his kids and older years without chronic pain.
Reply/Quote
Can someone with connections with Bengals.com or the Cincy media suggest they do an in-depth article on Kroft, I'd like to know more about him and help put Eiffert in the history books.
Reply/Quote
(06-15-2018, 05:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If you've never dealt with a disc issue, it's really tough to understand just how limited a person is when it's aggravated.  I have a pair of damaged discs.  When I'm healthy, I feel fine and can do most things.  Run, weight train, do physical work, etc.  In the first year, after the injury, I got back in shape and tried to play football again.  1st time I laid into making a tackle, I had to miss 3 days of work.  No more football for me.  Other things I never do again, basketball or anything involving  hard landings, waterskiing, holding a bent over position for any real length of time.  You getting the picture?

Is it a disc issue with him?  I can't even recall with the myriad of injuries.  If it is....I agree with you. It only gets worse from here.  I also suffered compression fractures in the lower three lumbars in a car wreck at 17. Ol man Arthur Itis is starting to set in down there as well. I've given up sports of any kind. That sucks. I'd love to still be playing softball.  I can't even bowl more than two games anymore. I'm much too young to feel this damn old....lol.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2018, 06:13 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Is it a disc issue with him?  I can't even recall with the myriad of injuries.  If it is....I agree with you. It only gets worse from here.  I also suffered compression fractures in the lower three lumbars in a car wreck at 17. Ol man Arthur Itis is starting to set in down there as well. I've given up sports of any kind. That sucks. I'd love to still be playing softball.  I can't even bowl more than two games anymore. I'm much too young to feel this damn old....lol.

With as many issues as you have described this will probably seem like a silly question. Have you thought about buying an inversion table?

Reply/Quote
(06-16-2018, 09:04 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: With as many issues as you have described this will probably seem like a silly question. Have you thought about buying an inversion table?

I have a Teeter Hang-Up, inversion table.  I really wish I could tell you that it works wonders, but the results generally last for less than one minute.  As soon as I take a few steps, gravity pushes everything back where it wants to go..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2018, 02:32 PM)3wt Wrote: He wasn't wrong.  Gresh had his strengths, but was dumb as a rock and has been meh with the Cardinals.  

I don't think Lap should have called him out - just isn't good journalism, and pretty classless.  But they knew Gresh was a fail the first OTAs.   Certainly by training camp the word was that he was a slow study.  He had consistent problems with routes and assignments and couldn't control his emotions on the field or in the locker room.

I will say he was a vicious blocker and strong as an ox.   I remember him tearing up DEs and he destroyed Kansas City's top tier safety.

I don't know if I remember correctly but Lap called him out for failing to play with a minor injury.  The problem with Eifert is that he has never resolving major injuries.

Someone said he would not be surprised if he retired in a couple of years.   I think there's a very real possibility he retires this year.  Back injuries almost never resolve to the degree you can play a violent game like NFL football.

But I don't think Lap was wrong about Gresh failing to play with a minor injury.   Just not his job to call him out on it.

Especially as a tight end. How many times do we see a tight end go for a jump ball across the middle and get tackled from behind mid air. When that happens you often see their backs bow in a super unnatural way.
Reply/Quote