Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More "largely peaceful" Portland protests
(10-28-2020, 12:13 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Ya, the mental health thing is very sad.  As I mentioned before, I watched our in/out patient adult and child psych units (the only ones in the area) close due to cost issues. 

The Reagan era closing of mental hospitals coupled with the extreme difficulty of having someone committed in many states is a perfect recipe for both what happened in Philadelphia and for creating large numbers of homeless people.  I'm consistently puzzled as to why no major party candidate has taken this up as a campaign issue, because fixing it properly would be a major boon in both areas.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 12:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The Reagan era closing of mental hospitals coupled with the extreme difficulty of having someone committed in many states is a perfect recipe for both what happened in Philadelphia and for creating large numbers of homeless people.  I'm consistently puzzled as to why no major party candidate has taken this up as a campaign issue, because fixing it properly would be a major boon in both areas.

The old adage of not really fixing a problem so there's always a job, maybe?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 12:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The old adage of not really fixing a problem so there's always a job, maybe?

Quite honestly, no jobs are created in the current scenario, although I understand your point.  Law enforcement would love to not have to deal with as many 5150's I can tell you that.  
Reply/Quote
I see a Jewish family was pepper sprayed and rocks thrown at cars during a Jews for Trump rally in NY.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 01:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I see a Jewish family was pepper sprayed and rocks thrown at cars during a Jews for Trump rally in NY.

Must have been those far right groups again.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 01:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I see a Jewish family was pepper sprayed and rocks thrown at cars during a Jews for Trump rally in NY.

The rocks and pepper spray were not real, they were only an "idea".
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 01:47 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Must have been those far right groups again.   Ninja

The ones chanting "Jews will not replace us" in Charlottesville?
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 05:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you really asking why Police wouldn't use non-lethal measure on someone coming at them with a lethal weapon?

First, he was not "coming at them" for a long time.

Second, yes, there have been many times police used tasers on people just armed with knives or clubs.

But I have read that these officers did not even have tasers.  So maybe they would have used them if they had them.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The ones chanting "Jews will not replace us" in Charlottesville?

We are talking about Philly. Stay on track.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First, he was not "coming at them" for a long time.

Second, yes, there have been many times police used tasers on people just armed with knives or clubs.

But I have read that these officers did not even have tasers.  So maybe they would have used them if they had them.

Or maybe you just don't threaten police with a knife?
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2020, 06:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Last I looked LEO's don't file charges, argue in court, convict or sentence anyone.

No, but police have been convicted in courts for racial profiling.

(10-27-2020, 06:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That say what?

that say that minorities are victims of racial profiling.

(10-27-2020, 06:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: These are two different things.  You've presented not factual basis for stating either.

I have posted a long list of evidence that minorities are treated differently by law enforcement.  Do you want me to show everyone the link where we had this discussion before.

And I have also linked the Laquqn McDonald video that proves police lie to cover up murders by other officers.  Want to deny it exists?

(10-27-2020, 06:14 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If they were provable then I assume you would have actually, you know, proven them. 

I have proven them with videos, statistics, court convictions, official policies, and even admissions by law enforcement officers.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The ones chanting "Jews will not replace us" in Charlottesville?

(10-28-2020, 06:43 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: We are talking about Philly. Stay on track.

Indeed.  This type of attempt to change the topic is curious.  Why not call out unacceptable behavior regardless of who engages in it?
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 06:43 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: We are talking about Philly. Stay on track.

No.  You were talking about NY.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 06:44 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Or maybe you just don't threaten police with a knife?

He had mental issues.

Police are not supposed to kill people if it can be avoided.  
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 06:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He had mental issues.

Kinda hard to avoid it when you have your gun drawn and someone starts charging at you with a knife. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 06:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No, but police have been convicted in courts for racial profiling.

Convicted?  In civil court?

Quote:that say that minorities are victims of racial profiling.

I don't know that anyone here has stated this has never occurred.

Quote:I have posted a long list of evidence that minorities are treated differently by law enforcement.  Do you want me to show everyone the link where we had this discussion before.

Feel free.  Your information is incomplete and self serving, but I'm all for people being exposed to information.

Quote:And I have also linked the Laquqn McDonald video that proves police lie to cover up murders by other officers.  Want to deny it exists?

Interesting that one incident proves that every LEO lies for other LEOs in your opinion.  Somehow I doubt such a broad brush would be acceptable to you in almost any other circumstance.

Quote:I have proven them with videos, statistics, court convictions, official policies, and even admissions by law enforcement officers.

That is occurs?  Sure.  That it is endemic?  Absolutely not.
Reply/Quote

I saw the video.  Didn't look avoidable.  Easy to armchair qb these situations.  

See what I did there with the football reference?   Tongue
Reply/Quote

If there is a person with a deadly weapon, the safety of the officer(s) and the general public comes before the safety of the suspect with the weapon. Full stop. The force continuum makes the use of deadly force in that situation absolutely acceptable.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 08:01 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If there is a person with a deadly weapon, the safety of the officer(s) and the general public comes before the safety of the suspect with the weapon. Full stop. The force continuum makes the use of deadly force in that situation absolutely acceptable.

But why didn't they shoot the knife out of his hand instead of aiming center mass?
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2020, 06:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: First, he was not "coming at them" for a long time.

WTF, does not coming at them "for a long time" mean? I saw the video and I assume others did as well. The Leos were surrendering ground while the knife wielder continued to advance. 

Only an idiot would pull a taser on someone coming at them with a lethal weapon, when he/she had the option of a lethal weapon. Especially when that person has refused numerous requests to stop.

If you find fault in this shooting, then........never mind 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote