Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Overrated Band/Musician
(02-05-2016, 12:17 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: KISS has got to be the most overrated of all time.

They are a circus act and clown show rolled up in one.

Amen
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:56 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The rest were pop songs he noodled around on.

Yeah, right.  That stuff he did with John McLaughlin and the Mahavishu Orchestra was just noodling around on pop tunes.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This thread is funny.  A bunch of garage band nobodies and amateur musicians ripping on great bands.

Hey!  we resemble that comment Fred.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to reply to a few different ones here.

Journey - I'm with anyone who agrees that this band is severely over rated.

KISS - These guys aren't necessarily over rated, per say. No one ever says that they are an amazing band or are one of the best of all times. People just casually like them and I have to imagine they put on quite the live show.

Foreigner - You are right. They are slightly over rated, but again, not many people would say that Foreigner is one of the best of all time or an amazing band. They have a handful of songs that people like and they are admittedly very catchy.

Nirvana - Maybe it is because I wasn't alive when they were making music, but there is absolutely nothing by Nirvana that I actually like.

If I had to inject an over rated band into this it would be The Rolling Stones. Their music just does absolutely nothing for me. But again, its just my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This thread is funny.  A bunch of garage band nobodies and amateur musicians ripping on great bands.

No.  Just a bunch of people expressing their tastes in music.  Is that not allowed, high and mighty?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 10:26 AM)McC Wrote: Boston, Foreigner, Journey, all thinly disguised bubble gum.  Note to whoever wrote those Foreigner songs--repeating four lines a hundred times is not song lyrics.

I disagree with Boston.  Just difference in taste I guess.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Is this a joke?  Do you apply this criteria (you need to be great at something to have an opinion on it) to everything?

Do I need to be Gordon Ramsey to be able to share my opinion on the cuisine at a new, hip restaurant, with a table full of friends? 

Do you do this in real life to people? 

Buddy -  "I didn't really love the food, I don't get all the fuss about this place.  It was just ok." 

Fred to buddy - "Hilarious.  This asshole only makes burgers and steaks at home and he's going to comment on a 3 star Italian cuisine."

Do I need to be a professional actor to be able share my opinion on this years Oscar nominees?  Do I need to be a mechanic to remark that my car is still running like shit after a recent visit?  Do I need to be a published writer to have the opinion that James Patterson writes crap.

I better not see you in any threads giving an opinion on movies, music, TV, politics, etc.  Regardless of whether the opinion is positive or negative, it means absolutely nothing.  I mean, how dare someone give an opinion on something without being an expert!

"I like the Milk Stout more than the Porter."  "You're an idiot.  You don't even own your own brewery!!!"
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:34 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I disagree with Boston.  Just difference in taste I guess.

Absolutely.  There's no right or wrong.   Everybody has their own individual tastes.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:08 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I disagree about VH.

Eddie is a better rythm writer than most people give him credit for.

In fact I'm not in the majority. His solos kind of bore me now. Can you only imagine hearing that in a club back in mid to late 1970s though? You would have shit yourself!

I like the little things he does that connects chords much more.

He's not overrated
.  Yeah VH has some dumb lyrics LMAO. You got that one right.

I meant the band is overrated.  I don't think he is. (I'm not his biggest fan, but he's definitely earned his spot among the greats)

I just absolutely hate David Lee Roth.  Yankee Rose is maybe the worst song of all time.  Pretty Woman and Hot for Teacher sound like songs that should be sung by Bugs Bunny or something.

As great as Eddie is, the rest of the band is pretty bland.  They're decent musicians but there's not a lot going on.  A lot of the progressions just seems kind of meh to me.  Just an avenue for Eddie to shred over and that **** face Roth to do whatever he does over.  (Whoo!!!  Ahhh...  Eeee!) I'm definitely taking Van Hagar over Van Halen. 

But to be fair the early Van Halen was before my time.  And I get a lot of people griping about a band I like in the Chili Peppers in the same way.  Anthony Keidis can't sing his way out of a paper bag, and Fruciante's best work was BSSM, 25 years ago.  It can be one of those "you had to there" bands.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:22 PM)Wyche Wrote: Nirvana....heroin is a helluva drug I guess....

Pearl Jam...ugh. One album with a couple a good songs, the rest is awful.  I'd rather listen to mold grow.  A.I.C. and Soundgarden kicked BOTH of these band's sorry asses.  They're horrible.

Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac.....gawd that voice is so annoying.

Ouch.  To each their own I guess.  Can't argue with Nirvana though.  I agree, Kurt Cobain was not good.  The only good thing about Nirvana was Dave Grohl. 

Anything pop country.  Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Taylor Swift, country tractor rap crap like F/G Line.......ya throw that whole genre in the trash. 
Bro Country is what I call it.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:25 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: Hey!  we resemble that comment Fred.

(02-05-2016, 01:29 PM)McC Wrote: No.  Just a bunch of people expressing their tastes in music.  Is that not allowed, high and mighty?

(02-05-2016, 01:42 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Is this a joke?  Do you apply this criteria (you need to be great at something to have an opinion on it) to everything?

Do I need to be Gordon Ramsey to be able to share my opinion on the cuisine at a new, hip restaurant, with a table full of friends? 

Buddy -  "I didn't really love the food, I don't get all the fuss about this place.  It was just ok." 

Fred to buddy - "Hilarious.  This asshole only makes burgers and steaks at home and he's going to comment on a 3 star Italian cuisine."

Do I need to be a professional actor to be able share my opinion on this years Oscar nominees?  Do I need to be a mechanic to remark that my car is still running like shit after a recent visit?  Do I need to be a published writer to have the opinion that James Patterson writes crap.

I better not see you in any threads giving an opinion on movies, music, TV, politics, etc.  Regardless of whether the opinion is positive or negative, it means absolutely nothing.  I mean, how dare someone give an opinion on something without being an expert!

"I like the Milk Stout more than the Porter."  "You're an idiot.  You don't even own your own brewery!!!"

I guess if the thread title was "bands you don't like" I could understand all these comments, calling them "overrated" seems to imply that your opinion is more important than everyone else's.

But I also guess that I am just nit-picking over semantics, so i will drop it.

Post deleted.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:42 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Is this a joke?  Do you apply this criteria (you need to be great at something to have an opinion on it) to everything?

Wait.  They're using milk in beer?

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 02:23 PM)McC Wrote: Wait.  They're using milk in beer?

what is this beer stuff you speak of?
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 02:12 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Ouch.  To each their own I guess.  Can't argue with Nirvana though.  I agree, Kurt Cobain was not good.  The only good thing about Nirvana was Dave Grohl. 

Anything pop country.  Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Taylor Swift, country tractor rap crap like F/G Line.......ya throw that whole genre in the trash. 
Bro Country is what I call it.

"They committed murder, down on music row"........to borrow a line, if I may.

All of that is utter garbage......underrated in the country genre?  David Allen Coe, good songwriter.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 02:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: "They committed murder, down on music row"........to borrow a line, if I may.

All of that is utter garbage......underrated in the country genre?  David Allen Coe, good songwriter.

Absolutely.  He probably would have gone a lot farther if he hadn't been so completely out of his mind.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 02:59 PM)Wyche Wrote: "They committed murder, down on music row"........to borrow a line, if I may.

a friend of mine who moved to Houston a while back, burned a CD of his for me called 18 X rated hits. 

I can't believe it made it through customs.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:27 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: I'm going to reply to a few different ones here.

Journey - I'm with anyone who agrees that this band is severely over rated.

KISS - These guys aren't necessarily over rated, per say. No one ever says that they are an amazing band or are one of the best of all times. People just casually like them and I have to imagine they put on quite the live show.

Foreigner - You are right. They are slightly over rated, but again, not many people would say that Foreigner is one of the best of all time or an amazing band. They have a handful of songs that people like and they are admittedly very catchy.

Nirvana - Maybe it is because I wasn't alive when they were making music, but there is absolutely nothing by Nirvana that I actually like.

If I had to inject an over rated band into this it would be The Rolling Stones. Their music just does absolutely nothing for me. But again, its just my opinion.

If I ever become moderator, even ten years from now, I will ban you within 5 seconds of taking over. There is a right and wrong answer to the Stones.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 03:04 PM)McC Wrote: Absolutely.  He probably would have gone a lot farther if he hadn't been so completely out of his mind.

Yeah, and still is.  He wrote some classics, and a lot of the stuff he did on his own is pure country gold.....The Ride, I'm Gonna Hurt Her on the Radio, She Used to Love Me a Lot, Longhaired Redneck, Tennessee Whisky, Get a Little Dirt on Your Hands, Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile, Please Come to Boston, If This is Just a Game, West Virginia Man, Ruby, Fuzzy Was an Outlaw, (Tell Me Baby) Why You Been Gone So Long, If That Ain't Country, You Never Even Called Me By My Name, Jack Daniels If You Please, and of course the song he wrote for Tanya Tucker's debut....Would You Lay With Me In a Field of Stone.

(02-05-2016, 03:10 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: a friend of mine who moved to Houston a while back, burned a CD of his for me called 18 X rated hits. 

I can't believe it made it through customs.

Yeah, he had a couple of underground albums that he sold at shows.  If memory serves, he was encouraged by his producer to do them as a joke.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 03:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: If I ever become moderator, even ten years from now, I will ban you within 5 seconds of taking over.  There is a right and wrong answer to the Stones.

He needs to listen to Sister Morphine...now.....the whole Sticker Fingers album is amazing. Dead Flowers another great track from that album. IMHO I prefer it to Exile On Main Street.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, right.  That stuff he did with John McLaughlin and the Mahavishu Orchestra was just noodling around on pop tunes.

When I mean noodling around... I mean playing the same riffs he does in any song.

No matter what the conext.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote