Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Overrated Band/Musician
Post the most overrated band or musician who you think gets too much love.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The Cars. Any amount of playtime is too much love. I don't have the slightest idea why anyone likes them even a little.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Nirvana
Reply/Quote
Bon Jovi Sick
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Boston, Foreigner, Journey, all thinly disguised bubble gum. Note to whoever wrote those Foreigner songs--repeating four lines a hundred times is not song lyrics.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 10:26 AM)McC Wrote: Boston, Foreigner, Journey, all thinly disguised bubble gum.  Note to whoever wrote those Foreigner songs--repeating four lines a hundred times is not song lyrics.

I like Journey.  Not so much Boston, and Foreigner I can live with.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 10:26 AM)McC Wrote: Boston, Foreigner, Journey, all thinly disguised bubble gum.  Note to whoever wrote those Foreigner songs--repeating four lines a hundred times is not song lyrics.

That's just crazy talk man.

Especially the Gregg Rolie era stuff.

Neal Schon is a great guitarist and songwriter.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 10:08 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The Cars.  Any amount of playtime is too much love.  I don't have the slightest idea why anyone likes them even a little.

Elliot Easton's guitar solos.  That's the only redeeming qualities IMO.
Reply/Quote
In regards to my previous post.

I think Schon is miles better than Carlos Santana who he was in a band with when he was freakin' 15 years old.

Santana is overrated in my opinion.

I'm not saying he's bad. His style is like Yngwie Malmsteen...   very specific and no real suprises.
Reply/Quote
Sometimes it's hard to distinguish overrated with don't like. For instance, The Doors just do nothing for me, but I would never call them overrated. Just not my cup of tea. Same with The Police.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:24 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's just crazy talk man.

Especially the Gregg Rolie era stuff.

Neal Schon is a great guitarist and songwriter.

I'm sure he's a great guitarist.  But if he wrote those Foreigner songs, we'll just have to disagree on the song writing part.  I stand by what i said, that a few lines endlessly repeated does not constitute song lyrics.   It's all subjective, of course.  This is just my opinion.  "Cold as Ice" just makes my skin crawl.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:44 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Sometimes it's hard to distinguish overrated with don't like.  For instance, The Doors just do nothing for me, but I would never call them overrated.  Just not my cup of tea.  Same with The Police.

No doubt. Music is like food. People are gonna have different tastes.

There are some groups and musicians that get way too much cred for what they've actually done though.

Santana is treated like a guitar god and like he's doing something.

He got smart and latched onto other musicians who had names for themselves to resurrect his career.

The guy has less than a handful of decent songs.

Black Magic Woman being his crown jewel of "classic".

The rest were pop songs he noodled around on.
Reply/Quote
I'm going big and controversial...

Van Halen - Yeah, I said it. I totally get why some people will scoff at this. I get that Eddie is a great, great guitar player. And I also get that people from that era may be biased the same way next is about their band (Nirvana, RHCP, etc.). Van Halen defined an era. But for me they're song writing kind of sucks. As good as Eddie is (at soloing) his chord progressions are kind of meh. I don't think they write great melodies. They're lyrics suck. And I liken anything with David Lee Roth to "cartoon rock". All those oohs and squeals and all that stuff he fills every bar with annoy the crap out of me.

Janis Joplin - Everytime I hear that Lord buy me a Mercedes Benz song I want to shoot myself. Terrible. Don't like any of her stuff. Sooo overrated...

The Doors - Yup, not very good musicians. The lyrics aren't as deep as everyone thinks. The singer was gigantic asshole, who is way overrated simply because died. They have 2-3 decent songs. That's it. The keyboard player is the only real musician of the bunch. Robbie Krieger (Sp?) on his best day his average. Just not all that great. Didn't write great hooks, don't have a huge catalog. Like Joplin, they're more famous for being part of an era and death than the music itself.

Grateful Dead - I feel asleep just typing this. When I wake up I'll write another about Phish before taking another nap.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:53 AM)McC Wrote: I'm sure he's a great guitarist.  But if he wrote those Foreigner songs, we'll just have to disagree on the song writing part.  I stand by what i said, that a few lines endlessly repeated does not constitute song lyrics.   It's all subjective, of course.  This is just my opinion.  "Cold as Ice" just makes my skin crawl.

Schon is in Journey. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:58 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm going big and controversial...

Van Halen - Yeah, I said it.  I totally get why some people will scoff at this.  I get that Eddie is a great, great guitar player.  And I also get that people from that era may be biased the same way next is about their band (Nirvana, RHCP, etc.).  Van Halen defined an era.  But for me they're song writing kind of sucks.  As good as Eddie is (at soloing) his chord progressions are kind of meh.  I don't think they write great melodies.  They're lyrics suck.  And I liken anything with David Lee Roth to "cartoon rock".  All those oohs and squeals and all that stuff he fills every bar with annoy the crap out of me.

Janis Joplin - Everytime I hear that Lord buy me a Mercedes Benz song I want to shoot myself.  Terrible.  Don't like any of her stuff.  Sooo overrated...

The Doors - Yup, not very good musicians.  The lyrics aren't as deep as everyone thinks.  The singer was gigantic asshole, who is way overrated simply because died.  They have 2-3 decent songs.  That's it.  The keyboard player is the only real musician of the bunch.  Robbie Krieger (Sp?) on his best day his average.  Just not all that great.  Didn't write great hooks, don't have a huge catalog.  Like Joplin, they're more famous for being part of an era and death than the music itself.

Grateful Dead - I feel asleep just typing this.  When I wake up I'll write another about Phish before taking another nap.

I disagree about VH.

Eddie is a better rythm writer than most people give him credit for.

In fact I'm not in the majority. His solos kind of bore me now. Can you only imagine hearing that in a club back in mid to late 1970s though? You would have shit yourself!

I like the little things he does that connects chords much more.

He's not overrated.  Yeah VH has some dumb lyrics LMAO. You got that one right.

The rest you listed I agree with.

Man I knew this was going to open some can of worms.
Reply/Quote
KISS has got to be the most overrated of all time.

They are a circus act and clown show rolled up in one.
Reply/Quote
Nirvana....heroin is a helluva drug I guess....

Pearl Jam...ugh. One album with a couple a good songs, the rest is awful. I'd rather listen to mold grow. A.I.C. and Soundgarden kicked BOTH of these band's sorry asses. They're horrible.

Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac.....gawd that voice is so annoying.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 12:17 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: KISS has got to be the most overrated of all time.

They are a circus act and clown show rolled up in one.

True.  But, to me, with them, it' a matter of perspective.  They weren't trying to break any new ground.  They just found a helluva gimmick and rode it pretty damn far.  They're just a pop band with makeup.  But they sure had staying power.  And they sure made for a lot of Halloween costumes.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:58 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Schon is in Journey. 
Okay.  I put Journey above Foreigner.  They definitely had good songs.  If he wrote their songs, then he is a good songwriter.  It just comes back to my preference in vocal styles.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2016, 11:56 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: No doubt. Music is like food. People are gonna have different tastes.

There are some groups and musicians that get way too much cred for what they've actually done though.

Santana is treated like a guitar god and like he's doing something.

He got smart and latched onto other musicians who had names for themselves to resurrect his career.

The guy has less than a handful of decent songs.

Black Magic Woman being his crown jewel of "classic".

The rest were pop songs he noodled around on.

See I can't judge overrated on their actual ability as I have no idea how easy or complex something is.  I can only go on what I think of the end product as a whole.

It's funny, but I always wonder if some guitar solos I really like are even difficult.  Is a great guitar solo in the playing or in the ability to create it?  Can most experienced guitar players replicate most guitar pieces?    I love the opening of "For Those About to Rock", but I'm guessing that it's not all that complicated to play.  But I'm going to rate it high because I just love how it sounds.  On Houses of the Holy, there's  prevalent guitar sound (don't know what to call it) that is repeated throughout the song that I think is cool sounding.  For some reason it seems like it's played backward and I can't even explain what I mean by that.

Reply/Quote