Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Overrated Bengals
(01-29-2016, 11:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Green averaged 2.7 ypc one year. Seems hard to fathom a run game that bad.

In '08 Chris Perry started 6 games for us and finished with a 2.6 avg.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 11:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fast forward 2 years to the 2010 draft and just 4 picks after Dezmon Briscoe, the Steelers picked Antonio Brown. So SOMEONE who gets paid for a living to do it, knew they wanted a WR in the 6th round, looked at the available players, and said "Hmm, Dezmon Briscoe or Antonio Brown? Lets get this Dezmon Briscoe kid, he's 6'2", perfect size! Brown is only 5'10."

Again look at the entire draft.  If Antonio Brown's skills were so obvious then he would not have been the 23rd WR taken in that draft.  When you look that far down in the draft it is all about luck.  

The Bengal are not the only team in the league that likes tall WRs.  Only 6 of the 21 WR taken before Briscoe were under 6 feet tall, and three of them (Dexter McCluster, Jacoby Ford, Armanti Edwards) were busts.  However in the second round of that draft the Bengals took one of the shorter WRs in 6-0 Jordan Shipley who finished 2nd among rookie WRs with 52 receptions.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 01:17 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: It's actually REALLY easy to compare the two. Hilton is a #1 WR, and Sanu is a borderline-#3-4 WR... and both were taken in the same round. That right there tells you how easy it is to compare. One is good enough to help carry an offense, the other is barely good enough to ride AJ Green's coattails. One is a two time Pro Bowler, the other is a one time NFL Drop Leader.

Once again, Hilton and Sanu have both been around for four years. Why do you persist on saying Sanu has only been in the league for 3? Same draft, same round. That's WHY they were both brought up.

You're actually wrong about Wallace and Brown. You forgot Emmanuel Sanders, who has 4,569 yards.

So.. not back at me at all, really. You just keep spouting off 100% wrong "facts" as your argument. Do a bit of research before trying to make a point, man.

so you were wrong when you put Hilton stats to Sanu... 3 years to 4 year comparison.. also Sanu has never been #4.. he has been 2/3 and if Hilton was on Bengals he would have been a 2/3 not a 1.. So get your facts right next time.  And the point of the thread was over rated.. I still don;t think Sanu is over rated... has nothing to do with Hilton.. you are comparing apples to oranges.. I am not
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 11:40 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Again look at the entire draft.  If Antonio Brown's skills were so obvious then he would not have been the 23rd WR taken in that draft.  When you look that far down ion the draft it is all about luck.  The Bengal are no the only team in the league that likes tall WRs.  Only 6 of the 21 WR taken before Briscoe were under 6 feet tall, and three of them (Dexter McCluster, Jacoby Ford, Armanti Edwards) were busts.  However in the aecond round of that draft the Bengals took one of the shorter WRs in 6-0 Jordan Shipley who finished 2nd among rookie WRs with 52 receptions.

Shipley.. injuries hurt him bad.. too bad.. he was a possible star in the making.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 11:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fast forward 2 years to the 2012 draft, and they were looking in the third round at wide receivers and once again made the exact same decision, taking 6'2" Mohamed Sanu only 9 picks ahead of 5'9" TY Hilton.

More Cherry picking.

Sanu and Hilton were the 12th and 13th WRs taken in the 2102 draft.  Of the 11 taken before sanu only 3 were under 6'0", and 2 of them (T.J. Grahma, Robert Broyles) were busts.

BTW whenever you use Sanu as an example of the Bengals making a bad pick I think you should point out to everyone that of the 11 WR taken before him in the draft only 4 have more receptions.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 10:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Fans (including myself) fell in love with Benson when he was pretty much the only bright spot from the '08 team.  We signed him off the street 5 weeks into one of the worst seasons in Bengal history.  We started that seaons 1-11-1.  But over the last three weeks Benson went crazy (463 yards from scrimmage), and we went 3-0.  He was our only glimmer of hope over that long off season.  His 3.5 avg for that year did not look very impressive until you know that our second leading running back that year, Chris Perry, who started 6 games for us that year, averaged 2.6.

He was a workhorse, but nothing special.  Showed some burst on a few long runs early in his career here, but for the most part was nothing but a grinder.

Still has a place in my heart for one of the greatest individual playoff performances by any Bengal ever.  His numbers were impressive (21 carries, 169 yds), but you had to see the way he gained them.  He was busting tackles and flat out trucking defenders.

Yep.....I was there for his debut against the Jags.  I went fully expecting a loss.....Benson turned it into a win.  Grinder is a good adjective, and I was also present for his playoff performance.  WE should have won that game with a run game producing like that.  Too bad FGs and passing were terrible.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 11:45 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: so you were wrong when you put Hilton stats to Sanu... 3 years to 4 year comparison.. also Sanu has never been #4.. he has been 2/3 and if Hilton was on Bengals he would have been a 2/3 not a 1.. So get your facts right next time.  And the point of the thread was over rated.. I still don;t think Sanu is over rated... has nothing to do with Hilton.. you are comparing apples to oranges.. I am not

Bro....they were drafted in the same round of the same draft.....

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/draft.htm

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 10:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Fans (including myself) fell in love with Benson when he was pretty much the only bright spot from the '08 team.  We signed him off the street 5 weeks into one of the worst seasons in Bengal history.  We started that seaons 1-11-1.  But over the last three weeks Benson went crazy (463 yards from scrimmage), and we went 3-0.  He was our only glimmer of hope over that long off season.  His 3.5 avg for that year did not look very impressive until you know that our second leading running back that year, Chris Perry, who started 6 games for us that year, averaged 2.6.

He was a workhorse, but nothing special.  Showed some burst on a few long runs early in his career here, but for the most part was nothing but a grinder.

Still has a place in my heart for one of the greatest individual playoff performances by any Bengal ever.  His numbers were impressive (21 carries, 169 yds), but you had to see the way he gained them.  He was busting tackles and flat out trucking defenders.

Benson was similar to Jeff Blake in a way. Nothing truly special, but they were competent starters who took over for historically bad players. So they both looked much better by default.

(02-01-2016, 11:21 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In '08 Chris Perry started 6 games for us and finished with a 2.6 avg.

True, but Perry only started 6 games with 104 total carries. Green had 15 starts and 215 carries when he averaged 2.7 ypc. At least Marvin was smart enough to pull the plug on Perry.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I remember when Anderson (RB coach) said the reason he wanted Chris Perry over Stephen Jackson (beast) was because he knows what he is doing and he "believes his eyes man". I realize the draft is alot of educated guessing but that one hurt. I guess in the long run it all evens out. Thats what I tell my self anyway.
Reply/Quote
Jason Shirley
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Odell Thurman is pretty overrated.  He had some turnovers, but he was out of position a lot, and opposing teams ran all over that defense with him at MLB.

Odell only had one season. 106 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 5 INT and 4 FF in his rookie year.  Yeah he was out of position here and there but wouldn't you consider this a learning year since it was his only year?  I think if he hadn't got into trouble, he wouldn't be on your overrated list. 

He ended up playing in the UFL and was pretty dominant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Scv_VIwfg
Reply/Quote
Peter Warrick

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 02:57 PM)Football Bender Wrote: Odell only had one season. 5 INT and 4 FF in his rookie year.  Yeah he was out of position here and there but wouldn't you consider this a learning year since it was his only year?  I think if he hadn't got into trouble, he wouldn't be on your overrated list. 

Yes, I agree.  I was very excited to see what Thurman could do once he got a better handle on the mental part of the game.  He had those incredible natural insticts that you can't teach.  I think he would have been a great NFL player.

But I also predicted he would never get his head together.  I am usually one of the guys preaching about how we can't hold a little trouble in college against a potential draft pick.  But Odell was out of control.  he messed up so many times at Georgia that he was kicked off the team for an entire year, and when they finally did let him back he got kicked off again.  he was one of those that just couldn't get it.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 01:49 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Jason Shirley

One pancake against a 3rd string DT in the preseason and people were dying for him to start.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Jason Shirley liked him some pancakes.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2016, 11:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 6'2" WR are like catnip to the Bengals. Height > Football Skills almost every time when it comes to that position. The only time they draft under 6' WR is when they're specifically targeting a ST return guy.

Rep
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 02:57 PM)Football Bender Wrote: Odell only had one season. 106 tackles, 1.5 sacks, 5 INT and 4 FF in his rookie year.  Yeah he was out of position here and there but wouldn't you consider this a learning year since it was his only year?  I think if he hadn't got into trouble, he wouldn't be on your overrated list. 

He ended up playing in the UFL and was pretty dominant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Scv_VIwfg

not only that but Odell was runner up for rookie of the year. and he was runner up to a charger drug addict! freds hatered for Odell is totally BUNK!!!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes, I agree.  I was very excited to see what Thurman could do once he got a better handle on the mental part of the game.  He had those incredible natural insticts that you can't teach.  I think he would have been a great NFL player.

But I also predicted he would never get his head together.  I am usually one of the guys preaching about how we can't hold a little trouble in college against a potential draft pick.  But Odell was out of control.  he messed up so many times at Georgia that he was kicked off the team for an entire year, and when they finally did let him back he got kicked off again.  he was one of those that just couldn't get it.

BS freddie boy, you have NEVER given credit to Odell for anything! EVER!!! The Hatred is swelling in you now!

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2016, 05:39 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: One pancake against a 3rd string DT in the preseason and people were dying for him to start.

"Fun" (depressing) fact. Despite flopping between OT and DT and appearing in just 7 games in the NFL, Jason Shirley still has both more sacks and forced fumbles than Margus Hunt and Will Carke combined.   Cry

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:09 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: "Fun" (depressing) fact. Despite flopping between OT and DT and appearing in just 7 games in the NFL, Jason Shirley still has both more sacks and forced fumbles than Margus Hunt and Will Carke combined.   Cry

I was planning to bring up Margus Hunt.  In my opinion, complete waste of a second round pick.  Has contributed basically nothing, yet some board members still rave about his potentional.
Reply/Quote