Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most underrated backup QB we've had
I don’t think people understand the question. If everyone is praising your skills the you aren’t underrated. Fits doesn’t qualify for this conversation
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 10:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Didn't scroll through them all, but Jeff Blake was a THIRD STRING QB, and I absolutely loved watching that guy play.  Still, to this day, the most beautiful deep ball I have ever seen.

Oh yes. My first after moving back home from from Texas was his first start. The crowd mad an audible gasp when he launched that first deep ball. I think it was to Darnay Scott. They beat the Oilers who I hated even more than the Stealers at the time. 

The only comparable memory to that was being at PBS for the game against the Vikings in 2005. 2nd play of the game Palmer threw a perfect deep ball that hit Chad in stride for the first of 6 or 7 touchdowns the Bengals score that day. They also had a long Chris Perry pitch/run for like 80 yards called back for a bs holding call. I knew we were going back to the playoffs that year.      
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 02:16 AM)Housh Wrote: Ok this is just high/drunk talk.

I love your posts but this one is tough

Yeah, Bfine be a little bit too fine on that post lol
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 02:17 AM)Housh Wrote: I don’t think people understand the question. If everyone is praising your skills the you aren’t underrated. Fits doesn’t qualify for this conversation

Blake started though so he cannot be underrated either...

Gradkowski then if this is the case.
Reply/Quote
(07-04-2021, 05:25 PM)Cicero Wrote: Oh yes. My first after moving back home from from Texas was his first start. The crowd mad an audible gasp when he launched that first deep ball. I think it was to Darnay Scott. They beat the Oilers who I hated even more than the Stealers at the time. 

The only comparable memory to that was being at PBS for the game against the Vikings in 2005. 2nd play of the game Palmer threw a perfect deep ball that hit Chad in stride for the first of 6 or 7 touchdowns the Bengals score that day. They also had a long Chris Perry pitch/run for like 80 yards called back for a bs holding call. I knew we were going back to the playoffs that year.      

That 2005 year, the Bengals defense had a whopping 5 INTs against EACH of the NFC North opponents.  Yep, 20 INTs in all.  Even Green Bay.  You could likely win some bar bets with that one.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 10:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That 2005 year, the Bengals defense had a whopping 5 INTs against EACH of the NFC North opponents.  Yep, 20 INTs in all.  Even Green Bay.  You could likely win some bar bets with that one.  

That secondary was something that season. They were actually fun to watch. That whole team was fun to watch. I still think we had a shot at something special that year if it weren't for Kimo.  
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 11:12 AM)Cicero Wrote: That secondary was something that season. They were actually fun to watch. That whole team was fun to watch. I still think we had a shot at something special that year if it weren't for Kimo.  

Yep, and while it wasn't intentional in 2015, I think that team had an even better chance of going all the way only to be derailed by an injury against the same team.  
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 11:14 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, and while it wasn't intentional in 2015, I think that team had an even better chance of going all the way only to be derailed by an injury against the same team.  

Yeah that team was probably the best of the Marvin era. He could just never get over that Stealer hump. It was like a mental thing for his teams. The last playoff game almost broke me as an NFL fan.    
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 11:26 AM)Cicero Wrote: Yeah that team was probably the best of the Marvin era. He could just never get over that Stealer hump. It was like a mental thing for his teams. The last playoff game almost broke me as an NFL fan.    

Worst game experience I have ever, well, experienced.  Such adulation.  Such celebration.  FINALLY BEAT THOSE PIECES OF SHYT!!!  And then I said:  "Hill just fumbled".  Ugh.  

I will put up with all i have endured (what choice do I have?   Hilarious) to see Mr. Joe Burrow lead this team to a Super Bowl victory.  
Reply/Quote
(07-05-2021, 11:26 AM)Cicero Wrote: Yeah that team was probably the best of the Marvin era. He could just never get over that Stealer hump. 

Here is the most shocking stat from the Marvin Lewis era.

During Marvin Lewis tenure as head coach only four other teams in the league had more wins against teams than finished with a winning record.  BUT.  .  .  

Bengals had 38 wins against winning teams other than Steelers.
Steelers had 38 wins against winning teams other than Bengals.

Bengals had 4 wins against Steelers when they finished with a winning record.
Steelers had 19 wins against Bengals when they finished with a winning record.

So over a 16 year stretch ONE-THIRD of all Stealer victories against winning teams came against just one team.  That is mind-boggling.  We were one of the better teams in the league and the Stealers completely dominated us like one of the worst.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the most shocking stat from the Marvin Lewis era.

During Marvin Lewis tenure as head coach only four other teams in the league had more wins against teams than finished with a winning record.  BUT.  .  .  

So over a 16 year stretch ONE-THIRD of all Stealer victories against winning teams came against just one team.  That is mind-boggling.  We were one of the better teams in the league and the Stealers completely dominated us like one of the worst.

That almost defies explanation. John Cooper vs Michigan is the only thing I can think of that comes close. 
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2021, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the most shocking stat from the Marvin Lewis era.

We were better against the Steelers in the 90s...despite being abysmal in general.

I came to the conclusion that something about how Marv teams were constructed just made us a bad matchup against them. I know we all talk about mental toughness, but I don't think it all comes down to just choking. I think. We see them twice a year, so you'd think we'd figure out how to stop choking against them. So again, I wonder if we were just a bad matchup under Merv.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote