Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most underrated backup QB we've had
(06-30-2021, 03:51 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But just to be clear.  Even if AJ had not completed a single pass or rushed for a single yard you would have said the exact same thing.

Uhhh ya he clearly handed the ball off VERY well.

The closest thing I can think of to this is some type of Tim Tebow performance. I’m a Tebow fan, I thought he often pulled out gritty wins without being a good quarterback lol. He often did just enough to win. Not sure that answers your question or not.
Reply/Quote
As a Bengal only I'm going with Virgil Carter as the best Backup to be effective as a starter, Fitz was only here two years with one year with any real stats
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2021, 06:41 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Andy Dalton was and still is clearly better than McCarron.

The point is, underrated backup. Went 2-1 in his games that he started at the end of 2015 and, although he played very poorly as was written in detail a few posts earlier, had us in position to win our first playoff game in decades. He came up clutch in the 4th quarter to give us a chance to win, and really all that matters is how you finish.

I remember McCarron taking the eventual Super Bowl Champs (Broncos) to overtime (or at least last second loss) that season as well.  Don't remember his stats, but played pretty well that game against a very tough team on the road.  I think that game was Prime time as well?
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2021, 01:26 PM)PDub80 Wrote: 1A Fitzpatrick (look at his career trajectory after leaving CIncinnati)

1B Kitna

1C Jeff Blake

I see them all equally and, yet, equally flawed. Just, in different ways.

I went with Blake, as he did more with less talent around him and I don't think that will be debated by anyone.  Plus, if the word is "underrated", Fitz has gotten so many opportunities to play, he should be able to be a fairly solid player.  How many QBs got this many starting gigs?  He has underrated athleticism and he is a smart guy, but for underrated I think it is lost on people what this team was with Klingler and then after the 2nd string QB goes down, Blake makes the team interesting.  He was the starter of the Pro Bowl for an irrelevant Bengals team.  He put a first round pick on the bench.  

I like Fitz, but I wouldn't call him underrated.  
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2021, 08:23 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Honestly, what Bengals QB in recent memory (15 years), starter or other wise, has given the Bengals a more interesting, compelling, or shocking win than that guy?

Interesting answer. You said it all in a pic. I may change my answer now.

Not to get too far off topic, but I don't think I will ever forget that night.  I laughed hysterically at Ryan Finley running untouched for a TD and he looked like he was laughing.  Ditto this iconic photo.  

JJSS getting blown up by Vonn Bell and turning in to a tik-tok sensation for having danced on the logo is equally entertaining. 

I have no idea where that defense came from.  Meaningless game that had us all rolling on the ground laughing so hard we were gasping for air.  

Great, great memory.  
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 09:24 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: To put just how terrible Playoff Raggedy Andy was into context, A.J.’s performance against the Steelers, as putrid as it was, still resulted in a higher passer rating than any of Andy’s playoff performances.  Andy played like dogshit in all of his Playoff appearances.  Dogshit.  Andy was the Mendoza line of NFL starters for a reason.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McCaA.00.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaltAn00.htm

One thing that seems to get lost on a lot of the "Dalton in the playoffs" hate is that it is a team game.  Piggy had a QB rating of 21 in his first Super Bowl.  They still won.  He won a LOT of games because of an outstanding defense and rushing attack.  

In Dalton's first playoff game (in his rookie season that was shortened in terms of no offseason OTAs), his OC had the wonderful idea to make AJ Green a decoy and go to Jermaine Gresham as his primary weapon.  Maybe it would have worked, but Gresh (who was stupidly only credited with like two drops when he had more like 5) couldn't catch anything that day.

The playoff game against the Chargers, the defense couldn't stop SD's rushing attack.  Dalton played fairly well, but the defense was a major letdown.

The game against the Colts, the Bengals were fielding a MASH unit and his top weapons on offense were Tate (the bad one) and Rex Burkhead.  

I know these are all excuses, but it is a team game and it wasn't just Dalton stinking up the joint.  I can't think of any other QB that gets less credit, and more grief that won 50 games in his first 5 years.  
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 10:33 AM)EatonFan Wrote: How about Sanu?

Check out this stat line for him

7 out of 8 passing
233 Yards
4 TDs
0 Ints

I LOVED the Sanu pass plays.  I understand both Boyd and Mixon have really good arms.  Would love to see a gadget play again featuring a bomb from one of those two.  

Sanu would be in the HOF if he ever got a shot to be a starter.  Racist bastards.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2021, 11:56 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This is getting ridiculouse.

He did not play well at all. He had a passer rating in the 60's and fumbled 3 times. How many QBs win games when they suck that bad?

Piggy won a Super Bowl with a QB rating of 21.  It is the ultimate team sport.  
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 09:37 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: As a Bengal only I'm going with Virgil Carter as the best Backup to be effective as a starter, Fitz was only here two years with one year with any real stats

If I am not mistaken, isn't Virgil the QB that was playing over the injured Greg Cook and due to his different skill set (not the arm of Cook), the Bengals created the Ohio River Offense, that the league erroneously refers to as the West Coast Offense?  
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I am not mistaken, isn't Virgil the QB that was playing over the injured Greg Cook and due to his different skill set (not the arm of Cook), the Bengals created the Ohio River Offense, that the league erroneously refers to as the West Coast Offense?  

Yep.

In an year when the league average completion percentage was 50.9 and 55.0 would be top five Carter led the NFL with 62.2% in 1971 under Walsh.

Many fans think that passing numbers have just consistently increased over the years, but they actually bottomed out in the early/mid 70's.  The league passing numbers from the 50's and 60's are actually better than that era.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Piggy won a Super Bowl with a QB rating of 21.  It is the ultimate team sport.  

An exception to a rule does not prove anything.

That is why despite to record of Tom Brady NFL teams don't wait until the 4th round if they need to draft a QB
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 11:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I am not mistaken, isn't Virgil the QB that was playing over the injured Greg Cook and due to his different skill set (not the arm of Cook), the Bengals created the Ohio River Offense, that the league erroneously refers to as the West Coast Offense?  

Yes, those couple years were fun watching Carter set the stage for Anderson 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 02:24 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Yes, those couple years were fun watching Carter set the stage for Anderson 

He was considered an egghead just because he had a degree in some field of math instead phys ed or general studies.
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 01:37 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, every once in a while, average to good players have that one magical year, and 2015 was that year for Andy. I also think he would've gotten over the hump finally that night. Ah well, broken thumb, and all....

I go with Blake.

Yeah, sucks Dalton got hurt, thought that was our year.

Blake was my second thought behind Fitzy. Just like Fitzy's career after he left. Pretty impressive for a backup QB...
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: An exception to a rule does not prove anything.

That is why despite to record of Tom Brady NFL teams don't wait until the 4th round if they need to draft a QB

I wouldn't call it a rule.  The three fumbles are bad, and they aren't factored in to the passer rating unlike PFF stats, but there are lots of games where QBs aren't good but their team wins with defense and/or a ground attack.  

I still remember being floored that Russell Wilson didn't get drafted until the third round.  Every 6' QB should give him a % of their paycheck.  He opened eyes for a lot of guys like Mayfield, Murray, etc.  
Reply/Quote
The most underrated backup quarterback in Cincinnati history? Andy Dalton for three games in 2019.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2021, 02:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: An exception to a rule does not prove anything.

Or the 6th
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 12:58 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The closest thing I can think of to this is some type of Tim Tebow performance.

Tebow absolutely shit all over the Steelers in the playoffs with his arm (and legs) and it was glorious. #1 Scoring Defense in the NFL, and Tebow drops 300+ yards, 2 TD/0 INT, 125.6 QB Rating (with another 50 rushing yards/1 Rushing TD). That was the game that ended Hines Ward's career.

The Steelers #1 defense getting destroyed by a <50% completion QB who isn't good at throwing the ball? Put that WAY up there on the list of "things you love to see".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Fun thread with interesting arguments. I'll have to go with Blake.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2021, 12:14 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Why do folks try to break down AJ's playoff game by quarters?

The dude had the best QB playoff rating of any Bengal since Boomer Easian in 1988.

We can all agree that AJ is a better playoff QB than Andy Dalton..

Ok this is just high/drunk talk.

I love your posts but this one is tough
-Housh
Reply/Quote