Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Murray update
(03-01-2019, 07:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Does it matter?

I'm sure he'll know the receivers on whatever team he plays for.

As to Murray: I listened to him being interviewed on Sirius today. The best thing I can tell you is he's not overly respectful. 

Most all of these kids say "Yes Sir", "No Sir" ect.. when interviewed. Murray was nothing but yeahs and uh hu. PK was also providing him a scenario that started with you only played year..and before PK could finish he butted in and asserted I played more than 1 year. PK and JM did all they could to have the kid come off as a good interview. But I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the "I could tell by the interviews...." that PK brings up in the future.

Given none of that makes/breaks a professional QB, but Murray was less than professional in the interview. Must be an OU thing.

Read today that he didn't do very well in his combine interviews either, and had trouble diagnosing coverages....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 12:36 PM)Au165 Wrote: I saw people say that was a good thing. Interesting how perspectives are different on these things.

You are a QB.  You throw the ball.  It's what you do.  I don't like a single thing about him.  I guess that's what it comes down to.  He couldn't carry Luck's cleats.  I believe we'll see the real Murray when he's running for his life in AZ.  He's got way more Antonio Brown in him than Andrew Luck.  He will not be the guy to steer the ship through two or three years of the coming hurricane.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 03:57 PM)McC Wrote: You are a QB.  You throw the ball.  It's what you do.  I don't like a single thing about him.  I guess that's what it comes down to.  He couldn't carry Luck's cleats.  I believe we'll see the real Murray when he's running for his life in AZ.  He's got way more Antonio Brown in him than Andrew Luck.  He will not be the guy to steer the ship through two or three years of the coming hurricane.

Luck didn't throw the ball though, and that is what he does too though right? I mean you acted as if throwing at the combine was a big deal and he didn't, which is why I bring it up. Is it or is it not important?
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:02 PM)Au165 Wrote: Luck didn't throw the ball though, and that is what he does too though right? I mean you acted as if throwing at the combine was a big deal and he didn't, which is why I bring it up. Is it or is it not important?

If you're Andrew Luck, probably not.  But if you're a small one year starter in the Big 12 land of no defense who turns people off with his personality...
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:05 PM)McC Wrote: If you're Andrew Luck, probably not.  But if you're a small one year starter in the Big 12 land of no defense who turns people off with his personality...

Andrew Luck doesn't need to compete? He was coming out against the Heisman winner in RG3 who also didn't throw. Wasn't that his chance to prove he is a competitor and wants to compete?

The personality thing sure seems to bother you more than NFL teams who have talked to him. 
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Andrew Luck doesn't need to compete? He was coming out against the Heisman winner in RG3 who also didn't throw. Wasn't that his chance to prove he is a competitor and wants to compete?

The personality thing sure seems to bother you more than NFL teams who have talked to him. 

You are not really comparing the little dude to Luck, are you?  Luck was a no brainer and has proven it over time.  The Colts tanked a whole season just to get him and rightfully so.

Murray has proven nothing.  We shall see if he can handle the horrible franchise and the beating and the losing and the no defense and no weapons.  Maybe he is equipped to handle it.  I predict he'll be a lot like RGIII, who had an awesome one year career.

If you're a new HC desperate to win(the previous guy got one whole year to prove himself), working for a FO with, let's just say, questionable judgment, and you have a QB who can run like Murray can, you will be having him run.  And good luck with that.

If a team has the number one pick in the draft, if they aren't going to take the hands down best player, you at least have to take the best QB.  And there is far from a consensus he is even the best QB and nobody is saying he's the best player.

Is Murray built to handle the sucking?  That is what I'm really asking.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:28 PM)McC Wrote: You are not really comparing the little dude to Luck, are you?  Luck was a no brainer and has proven it over time.  The Colts tanked a whole season just to get him and rightfully so.

Murray has proven nothing.  We shall see if he can handle the horrible franchise and the beating and the losing and the no defense and no weapons.  Maybe he is equipped to handle it.  I predict he'll be a lot like RGIII, who had an awesome one year career.

If you're a new HC desperate to win(the previous guy got one whole year to prove himself), working for a FO with, let's just say, questionable judgment, and you have a QB who can run like Murray can, you will be having him run.  And good luck with that.

If a team has the number one pick in the draft, if they aren't going to take the hands down best player, you at least have to take the best QB.  And there is far from a consensus he is even the best QB and nobody is saying he's the best player.

Is Murray built to handle the sucking?  That is what I'm really asking.

This is a straw man. You brought up how important combine throwing was as some sort of knock against Murray, it isn't by the way, so I asked if you applied this logic when Luck didn't throw.

You said...

"As far as not doing anything at the combine, where's the competitor in you?  Where's that side of you that says hell yes, I'll throw, I'll out throw all these other QB's?  When I leave here, there will be no doubt who's the best.  Give me the guy without fear.  If you're the first overall pick, you will obviously be going to the worst team in the league.  How you gonna handle that if you're afraid to do combine drills?"

So does it or does it not matter to throw? Did you apply these same standards when Luck chose not to throw? Where was the competitor in Luck? Why didn't he throw against other QB's to prove he was the best (there was debate RG3 could be better as weird as it seems now). If he was going to the worst team in the league how could he handle that if he was scared of combine drills?
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: This is a straw man. You brought up how important combine throwing was as some sort of knock against Murray, it isn't by the way, so I asked if you applied this logic when Luck didn't throw.

You said...

"As far as not doing anything at the combine, where's the competitor in you?  Where's that side of you that says hell yes, I'll throw, I'll out throw all these other QB's?  When I leave here, there will be no doubt who's the best.  Give me the guy without fear.  If you're the first overall pick, you will obviously be going to the worst team in the league.  How you gonna handle that if you're afraid to do combine drills?"

So does it or does it not matter to throw? Did you apply these same standards when Luck chose not to throw? Where was the competitor in Luck? Why didn't he throw against other QB's to prove he was the best (there was debate RG3 could be better as weird as it seems now). If he was going to the worst team in the league how could he handle that if he was scared of combine drills?

Come on.  Nobody thought RGIII was in a class with Luck.  The Colts torpedoed a season to get him and RGIII was never even in the conversation.  Luck is/was just a different animal. 

Now, if you had said Sam Darnold didn't throw, that's different.  I would've asked what he was afraid of.

Murray is not even the consensus best QB prospect.  And no matter what people say in the press, there have to be doubts about him.  He has to have a specific offense.  He has never had to read a defense. Why is he acting like he has nothing to prove?   Why wouldn't he be anxious to throw?  Do actions have a way of speaking louder than words?  And among the guys I hear talking, no more than half of them have him ahead of Haskins, who went out and threw and killed it, saying of course I'm gonna throw.  I'm a QB, it's what I do.

So the Cardinals might be taking him.  What does that prove?  They screwed the pooch just a year ago.  

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:51 PM)McC Wrote: Come on.  Nobody thought RGIII was in a class with Luck.  The Colts torpedoed a season to get him and RGIII was never even in the conversation.  Luck is/was just a different animal. 

Now, if you had said Sam Darnold didn't throw, that's different.  I would've asked what he was afraid of.

Murray is not even the consensus best QB prospect.  And no matter what people say in the press, there have to be doubts about him.  He has to have a specific offense.  He has never had to read a defense. Why is he acting like he has nothing to prove?   Why wouldn't he be anxious to throw?  Do actions have a way of speaking louder than words?  And among the guys I hear talking, no more than half of them have him ahead of Haskins, who went out and threw and killed it, saying of course I'm gonna throw.  I'm a QB, it's what I do.

So the Cardinals might be taking him.  What does that prove?  They screwed the pooch just a year ago.  

You've completely moved off our original position now so this is moot. You never qualified your statement until I brought up Luck, it was spoken in generalities but now your trying to qualify things.

We get it you don't like Murray.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 04:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: You've completely moved off our original position now so this is moot. You never qualified your statement until I brought up Luck, it was spoken in generalities but now your trying to qualify things.
We get it you don't like Murray.
Yes.  Luck should have thrown. 

I'm just saying Luck was an anomaly and if a guy is that good, he can get away with it.  Of course, my preference would be for everyone to throw, including Luck.  That is a negative to me.  But his column was so filled with positives, it changes nothing about him.  One negative and a hundred positives.  

But Darnold, Murray, guys like that, way different.  They do have something to prove.  They have definite doubts about their game.  Being QB's, people respond to them differently.  Hope is a huge part of drafting a QB.  You see the negatives, but you hope he can overcome them.  They don't get rated like other players.  Teams lose their sanity over QB prospects.

Hell, Darnold basically sukked and Jets fans are still drooling over him because he had flashes of good mixed in with the awful.  That's just how it works.

And you're right.  I don't like him.  Seems like a good enough player.  No slam dunk by any means.  It's the dude that rubs me the wrong way. We'll see how he handles the bad times coming his way.  As long as he ain't a Bengal.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 02:53 PM)Wyche Wrote: Read today that he didn't do very well in his combine interviews either, and had trouble diagnosing coverages....

If I don't have the first pick and I want to draft him, that's what I'd say.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:16 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If I don't have the first pick and I want to draft him, that's what I'd say.

It's okay, though.  The Cardinals are gonna eat that grenade.

Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 05:21 PM)McC Wrote: It's okay, though.  The Cardinals are gonna eat that grenade.

I doubt he's a grenade.

He will do well.

And Murray has been a QB his whole life, it's why he wanted to play 1 year for OU. He could've already been happy in Baseball, but he wanted a chance to show his stuff and see if he could get drafted to play Football in the NFL.
So what if he rubs you the wrong way, you're lucky that its highly unlikely that he will become a Bengal, but if the opportunity is there, you better hold your breath til Bengals announce pick.
Reply/Quote
Damn.... Murray got lit up in his interviews.... paraphrasing but worst comments I’ve ever heard on a top rated qb, leadership not good, study habits not good, board work below not good, etc etc
Reply/Quote
Here's an article on his interviews:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/05/kyler-murrays-combine-interviews-draw-some-negative-reviews/

"Former NFL General Manager Charley Casserly said on NFL Network Tuesday that he’s heard from teams that Arizona is shopping Rosen and added that’s a good thing for Murray because of the feedback he’s heard about Murray’s Combine interviews.

'He better hope Kingsbury takes him No. 1 because this was not good. These were worst comments I ever got on a high-rated quarterback and I’ve been doing this a long time. … Leadership — not good. Study habits — not good. The board work — below not good. Not good at all in any of those areas, raising major concerns about what this guy is going to do.' "

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 07:04 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Here's an article on his interviews:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/05/kyler-murrays-combine-interviews-draw-some-negative-reviews/

"Former NFL General Manager Charley Casserly said on NFL Network Tuesday that he’s heard from teams that Arizona is shopping Rosen and added that’s a good thing for Murray because of the feedback he’s heard about Murray’s Combine interviews.

'He better hope Kingsbury takes him No. 1 because this was not good. These were worst comments I ever got on a high-rated quarterback and I’ve been doing this a long time. … Leadership — not good. Study habits — not good. The board work — below not good. Not good at all in any of those areas, raising major concerns about what this guy is going to do.'  "

Here's a bit longer one on nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021202/article/casserly-murray-struggled-in-indy-rosen-available

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
"Anyway, leadership -- not good. Study habits -- not good. The board work -- below not good. Not good at all in any of those areas and raising major concerns about what this guy is going to do. Now, people say, we're going to compare him to [Patrick] Mahomes, we're going to run an offense like Mahomes, we're going to run an offense like Baker Mayfield. Well, you can't. ... Those guys are much different. Those guys, you never question about their ability on the board, you never question about their leadership ability, their work habits, they were outstanding in those areas. This guy is not outstanding in those areas. It showed up in the interview."

After his wish-washy attitude at the Superbowl and general attitude it really makes you question would you take a chance.

Ultimately is his real NFL comparable Bo Callahan ?!?!

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't know whether Murray did or didn't bomb at the combine, but I'm taking everything that Casserly says with a grain of salt.

To quote Bill Belichick, "Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist."
Reply/Quote
That report contradicts logic if you read it. Murray is lucky the Cardinals who met with him want to take him because he was so bad with his interviews people don’t want him. Apparently all his interviews weren’t that bad then were they?
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2019, 07:33 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I don't know whether Murray did or didn't bomb at the combine, but I'm taking everything that Casserly says with a grain of salt.

To quote Bill Belichick, "Who's been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? His percentage is like a meteorologist."
Danny kannell came out with a similar report just now on when he interviewed him at the super bowl.
Reply/Quote