Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Last Thoughts About Mixon.
This is the last that I will comment on Mixon as a Person. First I want to say what happen between Mixon and Miss. Molitor Is something I would never condone, defend, or really even understand. I will never have the facts to what led up to the situation nor will most if not all of us on here. So im not getting into the he said, she said. I do know the way Mixon handled himself and reacted in that split second situation is disturbing and worrisome. Im not trying to change anyones mind or justify his/her actions. DV is a serious issue that should not be taken lightly.

With that said, I have had enough of the hypocritical media, fans, Team Owners etc. For those who want to stone the Bengals for selecting Mixon you better have alot of stones. I hate to break this to some but every team has a Mixon. Odds are if you cheered for a team to win the SB, you cheered for a Mixon. Odds are if you bet on a team to win, you bet on a Mixon. So...Where was the outrage? Every sport has a Mixon. Where is the outrage? Alot of people who say they will no longer support this franchise, When Chad Johnson was charged with DV. Where was the outrage? Where was the media boycott? With all the other players drafted this year alone with a history a DV. Where is the outrage? There was none because it was heard and not seen. It shouldnt take video evidence to finally spark outrage. This kid is going to be under a microscope more than any player, including players who have actually done worse (believe it or not) because he was on video. Meanwhile here is an example list of Grown Men, not kids but Grown Men who im sure some of us idolized, while the media made millions promoting and endorsing.

Famous athletes in all sports to be convicted of Domestic Violence.

Floyd Mayweather, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Dennis Rodman, The Great Jim Brown, Manny Rimirez, Tito Ortiz, O.J.Simpson, Jose Canseco, Warren Sapp, Tonya Harding, Dez Bryant, Rasheed Wallace, Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Bobby Cox, Ray Rice, Kevin Williams, Jason Kidd, Santonio Holmes, Brandon Marshall, Bernard King, Lawrence Phillips, Randy Starks, Cary Williams, Al Unser Jr., Frostee Rucker, Ray Mcdonald, Erik Walden, Tony Mcdaniel, Jovan Belcher, Chris Cook, Daryl Washington, AJ Jefferson, Greg Hardy, Stone Cold Steve Austin,

Players convicted of Sexual Assault.

Darren Sharper, Mike Tyson, Thomas Henderson, "Fast" Eddie Johnson, Mel Hall, Mark Ragowski, Tom Payne, Ruben Patterson, Marlon King, Trevis Smith, Phil Taylor, Tony Ayala, Trevor Berbick, Josh McNary

If both Mr. Mixon and Miss Molitor have met in person and moved on, why cant we. Why cant the media. Who are we to condemn this kid for eternity while we praised so many who have came before, while more are sure to come. Who are we to condemn this kid more because he was on video while giving others a pass. But like Marvin says, some people see better than they hear.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion and I respect that. And if Mixon was the last straw i completely understand. For this kid to be denied a chance to be a better person and try to move on from this horrible act he did while a teenager is wrong.

When I watched the video I hated this kid. But the relentless hatred and attacks on this kid for something he regrets and has no control of anymore is not going to help things. The more the media crucifies this kid the more I want him to succeed. Like it or not he is on our team now and needs our support. I want this kid to have the chance to be a better person, learn from his mistakes, prove that he's no longer that kid in the video and someday hopefully a higher power can show him how to be a MAN.
Reply/Quote
It's the exact same reason that Ray Rice was only suspended for a few games until the video came out.

People's natural instinct is to side with the person they think they know. You think you know Chad Johnson, you're sure the headbutt wasn't so bad. Or was exaggerated. Or was incidental. Or was framed for money. Or whatever. You give the athlete the benefit of the doubt because you don't want to feel guilty for liking the way they play a game you enjoy watching.

But once you see a video, it's hard to justify or excuse in your head. Especially when it was as vicious as Mixon's hit was on Molitor.

My wife remains adamant that every single football player cheats on their significant other (because they're on the road so much and the access to sex is unprecedented), so for her, she said it's surprising that people were so outraged that they could also hit women. I.E. they aren't good people, so why are you expecting them to do good things?

I think it is the fact that people inevitably look up to these players that they're so heart broken when they turn out to be flawed or bad in some way.

I am on the "may as well root for him" train, but then again, I've never been under the delusion that just because a person plays a sport for a team I like they must be some great person.

There does exist a group of people who are generally good but have done bad things before. I remember, when I was a teenager, about 14, I beat the hell out of a kid who was smaller than me. He was throwing snowballs at me and my friends and I warned him 4 times to stop. He didn't, so I walked up to him to intimidate him. He did the same and then punched me. I distinctly remember it not hurting, but I was angry. At the time, I thought "how dare this little shit try to act all tough with me. He isn't tough. I'll show him tough."

I slammed his face into the ground so hard he was bleeding from his mouth and his nose. He ran home crying. I may have broken his nose, I never saw him again, so I don't know.

As I am today, I would hope that, if that event were recorded, that I would not still have to answer it 13 years later.

Now, that isn't to say that I don't condemn what Mixon did. I condemn what I did too. Violence doesn't solve anything but, for young men who don't yet understand the consequences of their actions, it definitely feels like it can solve any problem.

I think Mixon has shown that he has learned his lesson and I hope he has no issues going forward. The good news, however, is if he does cause problems, he can easily be cut. Hell, they'll probably right some language into his contract stating that. As far as draft picks go, you can't argue with the high reward that Mixon offers. The Bengals decided, based on how he's behaved the last 3 years, that the risk was small enough to justify the reward, so they took him.

Worst case scenario, he relapses with his anger issues and we cut him. The equivalent of Margus Hunt never becoming a good player, as far as draft picks go. A 2nd round bust. They happen all the time.

I say give him a chance. I wasn't happy that we drafted him because I was tired of the Bengals being "that team" but now that he's here, let's at least reap the benefits of it. Because we're already suffering the PR nightmare everyone knew would come with Mixon where ever he went.
Reply/Quote
I hope he makes every team that took the high road deeply regret that decision.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I wonder when and where in the draft he would have gone if the Bengals hadn't taken him. Think I read somewhere he visited 20 teams.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 02:43 AM)McC Wrote: I wonder when and where in the draft he would have gone if the Bengals hadn't taken him.  Think I read somewhere he visited 20 teams.

28 teams took him off their draft board.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 08:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: 28 teams took him off their draft board.

There comes a point where the juice is worth the squeeze for everyone... Whether drafted or UDFA I'm sure all teams would have taken him at some point (minus maybe the Ravens)

And if 28 teams took him off, that left 4 teams interested and it only takes 1 to pull the trigger.  He wasn't likely making it past the packers in round 2 (second pick)

Right after bengals 2nd pick you had, redskins, Broncos, Browns, lions as all needing RB. Maybe 1 of them were 1/4 teams? Can't twll
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 08:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: 28 teams took him off their draft board.

There is no way this is true.

Teams are just making this claim after the fact because they think it makes them look morally superior.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 09:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There is no way this is true.

Teams are just making this claim after the fact because they think it makes them look morally superior.

Adam schefter contacted all 32 teams prior to the draft . 28 teams told him mixon off their board. I doubt he would report a made up lie on Espn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

Thought the same thing Fredtoast when I read that response.  The NFL is full of hypocrites.  Let's not forget this is a business and success in the business is winning.

The "We wouldn't have taken him" response is garbage.  They do all the time!
Reply/Quote
I hate the fact that the vilification he is facing is higher because the other person was a woman. If that had been a man, the incident would have been labeled as a fight, not an attack on an "innocent" woman. Both parties involved in the confrontation handled their decision at the time poorly. Her assault on him was wrong, his assault on her was wrong. He faced and served a punishment for his wrong. She suffered physically for her wrong. The matter has been settled by the courts. The matter has been settled between the individuals involved. He has done nothing since to indicate he will repeat that poor decision making behavior. Bottom line...he is not the most evil person on Earth. Stop acting like he randomly attacked some poor girl who was cowering in fear. Condemn the decision from both parties involved and move on.
Reply/Quote
As stated by the OP, if the woman who was struck has made peace with Mixon, that is good enough for me. While I wouldn't necessarily say that's a 'clean slate', it goes a long way toward it. It will really depend upon his actions going forward as to how long or short of a leash he has. BTW Pacman needs to go. He's shown he has not learned to stay out of trouble. I'm hoping Mixon will not follow suit.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote

New England "took Joe Mixon off their board" because they couldn't make early picks due to DeflateGate. It sure made Bob Kraft look sanctimonious though.

Miami "took Joe Mixon off the board" because of their previous issues with Richie Incognito. They didn't want to revisit that episode and the media would have crammed it down their throat.
Reply/Quote
We only want non-violent pillars of the community who have never been in any kind of trouble in their entire lives said no football team ever.. 
Mixon's job going forward will be to run violently into and around guys whose jobs will be to run into and violently bring him to the ground.. 
Well, it's certainly refreshing to know that nobody playing professional football has any violent tendencies.. 
I'm guessing there's a pretty good reason that the NFL doesn't have a lot of mouthy women playing the game too.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 09:36 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Adam schefter contacted all 32 teams prior to the draft .  28 teams told him mixon off their board.  I doubt he would report a made up lie on Espn.

Yep....keyword....PRIOR....homers.....smh....lol.  That Schefter....what a liar ! Ninja

Reply/Quote

The only thing that is not true is your last claim.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 12:44 AM)TKUHL Wrote: This is the last that I will comment on Mixon as a Person. First I want to say what happen between Mixon and Miss. Molitor Is something I would never condone, defend, or really even understand. I will never have the facts to what led up to the situation nor will most if not all of us on here. So im not getting into the he said, she said.  I do know the way Mixon handled himself and reacted in that split second situation is disturbing and worrisome. Im not trying to change anyones mind or justify his/her  actions. DV is a serious issue that should not be taken lightly.

With that said, I have had enough of the hypocritical media, fans, Team Owners etc. For those who want to stone the Bengals for selecting Mixon you better have alot of stones. I hate to break this to some but every team has a Mixon. Odds are if you cheered for a team to win the SB, you cheered for a Mixon. Odds are if you bet on a team to win, you bet on a Mixon. So...Where was the outrage? Every sport has a Mixon. Where is the outrage? Alot of people who say they will no longer support this franchise, When Chad Johnson was charged with DV. Where was the outrage? Where was the media boycott? With all the other players drafted this year alone with a history a DV. Where is the outrage? There was none because it was heard and not seen. It shouldnt take video evidence to finally spark outrage. This kid is going to be under a microscope more than any player, including players who have actually done worse (believe it or not) because he was on video. Meanwhile here is an example list of Grown Men, not kids but Grown Men who im sure some of us idolized, while the media made millions promoting and endorsing.

Famous athletes in all sports to be convicted of Domestic Violence.

Floyd Mayweather, Chad Johnson, Randy Moss, Dennis Rodman, The Great Jim Brown, Manny Rimirez, Tito Ortiz, O.J.Simpson, Jose Canseco, Warren Sapp, Tonya Harding, Dez Bryant, Rasheed Wallace, Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Bobby Cox, Ray Rice, Kevin Williams, Jason Kidd, Santonio Holmes, Brandon Marshall, Bernard King, Lawrence Phillips, Randy Starks, Cary Williams, Al Unser Jr., Frostee Rucker, Ray Mcdonald, Erik Walden, Tony Mcdaniel, Jovan Belcher, Chris Cook, Daryl Washington, AJ Jefferson, Greg Hardy, Stone Cold Steve Austin,

Players convicted of Sexual Assault.

Darren Sharper, Mike Tyson, Thomas Henderson, "Fast" Eddie Johnson, Mel Hall, Mark Ragowski, Tom Payne, Ruben Patterson, Marlon King, Trevis Smith, Phil Taylor, Tony Ayala, Trevor Berbick, Josh McNary

If both Mr. Mixon and Miss Molitor have met in person and moved on, why cant we. Why cant the media. Who are we to condemn this kid for eternity while we praised so many who have came before, while more are sure to come. Who are we to condemn this kid more because he was on video while giving others a pass. But like Marvin says, some people see better than they hear.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion and I respect that. And if Mixon was the last straw i completely understand. For this kid to be denied a chance to be a better person and try to move on from this horrible act he did while a teenager is wrong.

When I watched the video I hated this kid. But the relentless hatred and attacks on this kid for something he regrets and has no control of anymore is not going to help things. The more the media crucifies this kid the more I want him to succeed. Like it or not he is on our team now and needs our support. I want this kid to have the chance to be a better person, learn from his mistakes, prove that he's no longer that kid in the video and someday hopefully a higher power can show him how to be a MAN.

Nice post TKUHL....and I agree with the premise of it all. Only one thing I disagree with.....Chad Johnson had his issues AFTER playing in Cincy.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 08:43 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: There comes a point where the juice is worth the squeeze for everyone... Whether drafted or UDFA I'm sure all teams would have taken him at some point (minus maybe the Ravens)

And if 28 teams took him off, that left 4 teams interested and it only takes 1 to pull the trigger.  He wasn't likely making it past the packers in round 2 (second pick)

Right after bengals 2nd pick you had, redskins, Broncos, Browns, lions as all needing RB.  Maybe 1 of them were 1/4 teams?  Can't twll

All true.  We were obviously one of the 4.  I hope this doesn't blow up in our face. Right now....all signs point to it being a good risk. That said...I don't really know what lengths the Sooners went to in order to ensure that.  They may have had him on lockdown for all we know.  I've made peace with the pick....might as well.  I believe in second chances...and in a moment of disgust and weakness.....I made a big error of judging the young man. That's not my place or style.  I still wish he got his chance elsewhere.......probably wouldn't feel as strongly about that if Smackman had been sent packing....but it is what it is.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 09:36 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Adam schefter contacted all 32 teams prior to the draft .  28 teams told him mixon off their board.  I doubt he would report a made up lie on Espn.

Schefter didn't tweet that 28 teams had taken him off their board until after the pick was made, iirc.

There are also conflicting reports from other sources on the issue.  Ian Rappaport reported that Mixon was off the draft boards of about half of the NFL teams.  The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported that of executives contacted of 11 different teams, 6 had Mixon off their boards.

Point being, with widely varying reports, it's pretty obvious that there was a lot of misinformation being spread by teams, likely in an attempt to get him to fall so they could grab him later.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2017, 02:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: Schefter didn't tweet that 28 teams had taken him off their board until after the pick was made, iirc.

There are also conflicting reports from other sources on the issue.  Ian Rappaport reported that Mixon was off the draft boards of about half of the NFL teams.  The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported that of executives contacted of 11 different teams, 6 had Mixon off their boards.

Point being, with widely varying reports, it's pretty obvious that there was a lot of misinformation being spread by teams, likely in an attempt to get him to fall so they could grab him later.

Yes.  And haven't we all been led to believe no one tells the truth about anything leading up to the draft for years now?  Bottom line, take it all with a grain of salt.  And ig there were only four teams who had him on their boards, how did he make 20 visits?

Reply/Quote

He had visits with over half the teams in the league...So there there's some people that are full of it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote