Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Take Aways from the Superbowl
1.  Doug Pederson is for real.

2.  Bill B., despite losing, is still the best HC in the NFL and the Pats still have the best organization in football, with or without Tom Brady.  

3.  I think the stupidest rule in football is the receiver catching the ball, having control, then falling to the ground, and allowing the ground to cancel the reception, when the ground cannot cause a runner to fumble, and I believe it will be overturned this offseason from what I've read from owners AND the commissioner.  

4.  The only weakness I see with Tom Brady is, he does not do well when forced out of the pocket.  The Patriots know this, and make sure, year after year after year, that they give him a great offensive line with great offensive line coaching.

FINALLY, I DID NOT SEE ANYONE KNEELING DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM.  WAS THERE ANYONE KNEELING, AND IF NOT, WHY NOT?

For me, that just cements the fact that this kneeling and sitting BS is just that BS.  If this is such a valid protest, it should make absolutely no difference what the game venue is.  Another opportunity to play the race card.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 01:08 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 1.  Doug Pederson is for real.

He has guts. And he wasn't afraid. Good job calling that game!

(02-05-2018, 01:08 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 2.  Bill B., despite losing, is still the best HC in the NFL and the Pats still have the best organization in football, with or without Tom Brady.  

But he will be asked all off-season about sitting Butler. It may or may not bother him, but he made the wrong call there I think.

(02-05-2018, 01:08 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 3.  I think the stupidest rule in football is the receiver catching the ball, having control, then falling to the ground, and allowing the ground to cancel the reception, when the ground cannot cause a runner to fumble, and I believe it will be overturned this offseason from what I've read from owners AND the commissioner.  

And the results will be more fumbles called. It's a tough line. I'm in the control, two feet down is a catch camp.

(02-05-2018, 01:08 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: 4.  The only weakness I see with Tom Brady is, he does not do well when forced out of the pocket.  The Patriots know this, and make sure, year after year after year, that they give him a great offensive line with great offensive line coaching.

Also having zero offensive holding calls called against them in a playoff game since 2006 helps. Smirk

(02-05-2018, 01:08 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: FINALLY, I DID NOT SEE ANYONE KNEELING DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM.  WAS THERE ANYONE KNEELING, AND IF NOT, WHY NOT?

For me, that just cements the fact that this kneeling and sitting BS is just that BS.  If this is such a valid protest, it should make absolutely no difference what the game venue is.  Another opportunity to play the race card.

Welp that went south quickly.

No Eagles kneeled all year from what I heard yesterday. I didn't watch the opening (or much of the game at all) so I don't know if they even showed the sidelines.

Nonetheless, without this getting super political, not kneeling in one game doesn't dampen the reasons that players did kneel in the past.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
Believe the NFL told them to stop kneeling when playoffs started.

Kudos to Philly if like the Bengals no player knelt all year. Karma was served to the whiners.

Unlike steelers who hid in the tunnel and then chastised the only real man who went out and stood for his first team the military.

Then was forced to apologize like he had committed a crime for not being a team player.

Find another way to protest if you really believe in your cause. Not one just to get a camera pointed at you.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 01:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: No Eagles kneeled all year from what I heard yesterday.  I didn't watch the opening (or much of the game at all) so I don't know if they even showed the sidelines.

Nonetheless, without this getting super political, not kneeling in one game doesn't dampen the reasons that players did kneel in the past.

I'm guessing not a veteran Dino??

Regardless, opinions are like a-holes everybody has one!  Cool
Reply/Quote
The whole kneeling thing has already run it's course. By next season no one will remember it even happened. Move on already.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:07 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I'm guessing not a veteran Dino??

Regardless, opinions are like a-holes everybody has one!  Cool

Nope.  But plenty of family members who are.

Also willing to read and listen to the reasons given not the ones created just to twist what was happening.   Smirk
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:39 PM)BMK Wrote: The whole kneeling thing has already run it's course. By next season no one will remember it even happened. Move on already.

You think? I think some cultural black snuggly bears, which I do not represent, just because I'm black, will keep it alive on marching orders unless the NFL bans it.

(You see not all of us black folk are like robots and need someone to tell us how to live and think in lock step!)
Reply/Quote
Reminder: Kneeling discussion are to be kept in the Politics and Religion sub-forum.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:50 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: You think?
Yes, I absolutely do.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 01:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: And the results will be more fumbles called.  It's a tough line.  I'm in the control, two feet down is a catch camp.

Yes, I was a little confused by the amount of review time they spent on that one.  Clearly, he caught the ball and took three steps, with possession.  To my understanding, he's a runner at that point, and as soon as the ball breaks the plane, it's a score.

Now, I'm sure that there will be Pats fans saying "Yeah, but...", and referencing previous plays where the rules may have been interpreted differently.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 06:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, I was a little confused by the amount of review time they spent on that one.  Clearly, he caught the ball and took three steps, with possession.  To my understanding, he's a runner at that point, and as soon as the ball breaks the plane, it's a score.

Now, I'm sure that there will be Pats fans saying "Yeah, but...", and referencing previous plays where the rules may have been interpreted differently.

Oh yeah.  

And my FB f has the usual Pats fans claiming those two calls PROVE the NFL isn't skewed toward helping the Patriots.

btw: Pats extended their record streak of ZERO offensive holding calls in a playoff game which started in 2006.  And they had two penalties called on them all game (one declined).
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 05:49 PM)Tama Wrote: Yes, I absolutely do.

Don't bet on it!  Wink
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 03:49 PM)GMDino Wrote: Nope.  But plenty of family members who are.

Also willing to read and listen to the reasons given not the ones created just to twist what was happening.   Smirk

Huge difference between serving and knowing people that have! Pretty simple logic actually.

I know several who have lost children for different reasons but, by the grace of God, I have no knowledge of what that experience is like!

Bottom line: It has nothing to do with the reason why, they are using the wrong venue.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 07:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: Oh yeah.  

And my FB f has the usual Pats fans claiming those two calls PROVE the NFL isn't skewed toward helping the Patriots.

btw: Pats extended their record streak of ZERO offensive holding calls in a playoff game which started in 2006.  And they had two penalties called on them all game (one declined).

By and large, the refs were letting them play.  I like that in a Championship game, let the players determine who is better.  Who wants to see the tone of the Championship dictated by overzealous officiating?  

Now, I will add that I was really surprised by the no-call, on the play that Cooks got KO'd, along with the amount of time spent on confirming that TD that we've all been discussing.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 07:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: By and large, the refs were letting them play.  I like that in a Championship game, let the players determine who is better.  Who wants to see the tone of the Championship dictated by overzealous officiating?  

Now, I will add that I was really surprised by the no-call, on the play that Cooks got KO'd, along with the amount of time spent on confirming that TD that we've all been discussing.

I get the "let 'em play" but sometimes that equates to "let 'em cheat" like when no holding calls, no DPI on one team but two defensive holdings on the other.

The Cooks play is legal under the rules.  He was established as a runner and the defender didn't lead with the crown of his helmet.  

Shows how the league REALLY cares about player safety!  LOL!
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 06:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yes, I was a little confused by the amount of review time they spent on that one.  Clearly, he caught the ball and took three steps, with possession.  To my understanding, he's a runner at that point, and as soon as the ball breaks the plane, it's a score.

That was what I was thinking while watching the replay. He clearly had the ball 3 steps and established himself as a runner. Also had control when stretching for the goaline. No way they overturn that and Chris Collinsworth was acting like a D-Bag for the way he whined during that replay.

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 08:15 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: That was what I was thinking while watching the replay. He clearly had the ball 3 steps and established himself as a runner. Also had control when stretching for the goaline. No way they overturn that and Chris Collinsworth was acting like a D-Bag for the way he whined during that replay.

Al Michaels should have shut him up, by bringing up Collinsworth' meager Superbowl stat line of 3 receptions for 40 yds.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 09:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Al Michaels should have shut him up, by bringing up Collinsworth' meager Superbowl stat line of 3 receptions for 40 yds.

You know it's bad when even SI comments that the Michaels and Collinsworth had a bad game.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 07:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: I get the "let 'em play" but sometimes that equates to "let 'em cheat" like when no holding calls, no DPI on one team but two defensive holdings on the other.

The Cooks play is legal under the rules.  He was established as a runner and the defender didn't lead with the crown of his helmet.  

Shows how the league REALLY cares about player safety!  LOL!

He hit him in the head with the crown of his helmet... so how did he not lead with the crown of his helmet?

Imo, the dude should have been ejected
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:28 AM)TheUberHuber Wrote: He hit him in the head with the crown of his helmet... so how did he not lead with the crown of his helmet?

Imo, the dude should have been ejected

Because he didn't lead with the crown of the helmet ala Shazier.

WR had established as a runner.

I know that it seems counterintuitive given the "player safety" issues the NFL "cares" about.  But that the rule.
Reply/Quote