Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Viewing is down 7.5%. Do you watch the Bengals as Much? Causes of this?
I couldn't care less about the protests. Sometimes i'm actually happy when I can't see the Bengals. I'm tired of being mad. I'm not going to be able to watch the Steelers this Sunday and I'm thrilled. If we win, great. If we lose, I didn't have to watch it.

As for the rest of the NFL, I'll usually watch the 4:30 game, and parts of the Sunday Night game. Monday and Thursday are a crap shoot. No offense to their teams, but Titans-Colts? No thanks. The game is not as good anymore. A million bubble screens, flags everywhere, constant commercials, more and more rules. Ugh.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
This just in. 7.5% of people watching games are now doing so on alternative streaming sites.
:andy:
Games have become too long and boring, with way too many stoppages for this-n-that. And too many of my favorite players are either not playing or out of football. But for me, it's mostly timing. Church starts much earlier than it used to (a whole other problem I can rant about), and now there's too much time between end of church and start of game. It was much better when I could leave church and head straight to the bar where I watch games. Sometimes it's easier to not bother. I think I've only watched two complete games, and bits of pieces of a couple others.
(10-18-2017, 11:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think you're underestimating the KaeperDICK effect. Of the 5 guys in my office who are huge football fans, 3 have completely quit watching and are trying to become soccer fans so they have something to watch.....

(10-18-2017, 11:51 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Most of the faux patriots that I have regular contact with (I'm in construction, so it's a very large percentage of my coworkers) are all talk.  On Friday, they talk about how they'll be boycotting the NFL, and on Monday, they talk about what pissed them off in various NFL games.

I know my small sample size is not indicative of the whole, but I have a hard time believing that there is a massive difference in the whole populace.

People are grandstanding....it's nothing but social media posturing to show your friends what side you're on.

JD Power conducted a poll of about 9,200 fans. Among those who said they now view less, 74% were for reasons other than the protest issue...like too many commercials, poor officiating and the NFL's off-field image, among other things.

Even when the protest things dies down and fades away, the NFL has a lot of other areas that are contributing to their declining numbers.
(10-18-2017, 10:32 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: MNF, SNF, CBS and Fox all saw their NFL ratings decline last year, and the trend has continued through this year.                            
When you combine the number of people abandoning cable and satellite (projected to be 22 million this year alone) with the steady rise in people watching games via streaming sites, it's easy to see why the NFL's numbers are taking a hit.

Then of course, there's the fact that many feel the game is becoming harder to watch, in general, for a number of different reasons - and they're simply tuning out more often.

Even after the whole protest thing has passed, the NFL will still has some very real challenges when it comes to retaining viewers going forward, especially considering the ever-evolving (and nontraditional) media trends and options.

To me, this is the biggest reason right here.....as well as with other sports.  Sure, there are other factors, but I feel that streaming is the crux of the issue.

For me, the biggest reason I don't watch as much anymore is due to all of the bullshit calls they STILL get wrong, even with replay.  There is no excuse for that.  Also, the hypocrisy and inconsistency in some of their disciplinary rulings.

"Better send those refunds..."

(10-18-2017, 12:43 PM)Wyche Wrote: To me, this is the biggest reason right here.....as well as with other sports.  Sure, there are other factors, but I feel that streaming is the crux of the issue.

For me, the biggest reason I don't watch as much anymore is due to all of the bullshit calls they STILL get wrong, even with replay.  There is no excuse for that.  Also, the hypocrisy and inconsistency in some of their disciplinary rulings.

NY, LA, Chicago and Houston are the teams left in the MLB playoffs. 

That's literally 1,2,3 and 4 in terms of US population.
It wouldn't shock me at all if there was a dip because of those teams being the last ones in MLB.

I struggle to watch non-Bengal games...and really even some Bengals games because of the penalties. There's just too many being called. It's not all on the refs. The product is just bad. Players aren't practicing enough because of new rules and it's showing with some sloppier play.
The OL especially is struggling because of this across the league. 
They aren't coming in as prepared and they aren't given enough time in practices to get it right. 
(10-18-2017, 12:48 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: NY, LA, Chicago and Houston are the teams left in the MLB playoffs. 

It wouldn't shock me at all if there was a dip because of those teams being the last ones in MLB.

I struggle to watch non-Bengal games...and really even some Bengals games because of the penalties. There's just too many being called. It's not all on the refs. The product is just bad. Players aren't practicing enough because of new rules and it's showing with some sloppier play.
They aren't coming in as prepared and they aren't given enough time in practices to get it right. 

I agree, that's a lot of it too.

As for MLB, I'm just not that interested anymore.  If Houston goes to the Series, I'll probably watch because of the novelty, and considering just how far they've came in such a short period....but that's about it.  I can't even tell you who plays for what teams these days, and I used to memorize stats of individual players, and not just Reds or Tigers.

(10-18-2017, 12:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: I agree, that's a lot of it too.

As for MLB, I'm just not that interested anymore.  If Houston goes to the Series, I'll probably watch because of the novelty, and considering just how far they've came in such a short period....but that's about it.  I can't even tell you who plays for what teams these days, and I used to memorize stats of individual players, and not just Reds or Tigers.

Baseball was something I watched because it was something my grandpa and I could both equally enjoy. He wasn't big into football, so we bonded over baseball. When he passed, my interest slowly faded over time. 

But you know how big of front runners Yankees, Cubs and Dodger fans can be. 
Bears suck.
LA doesn't care about football. 
Giants suck.
Jets are meh. 
Texans are exciting to watch but now no JJ....

Like a perfect storm for your biggest markets. No wonder the NFL made sure NE and Pitt are protected.....
(10-18-2017, 11:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think you're underestimating the KaeperDICK effect. Of the 5 guys in my office who are huge football fans, 3 have completely quit watching and are trying to become soccer fans so they have something to watch.....

I side with you on this Sled.

I know a number of people that have stopped watching or now watch only a fraction of what they would have normally watched over the Anthem issue. They are not Bluffing.

There is a Sacred element to the National Anthem where people are to stand silently, hand over heart if you choose to and have respect for the Nation, Military men & women that have died and as an extension Police, First responders, Fire Departments etc.

Breaking in on this historically Sacred moment with a bent knee to promote a cause by anyone, especially well paid athletes, strikes a Nerve with many.

Then some people inferring that anyone that does not condone the protests does not understand the protestor's cause, does not care about that cause, opposes Free speech or may actually be racist themselves. That further strikes a nerve.

Co opting Sacred moments like National Anthems on a continual basis to promote a cause has just proven to Backfire.

The cause gets attention, however, there is an Outcry for the Sacredness to be returned to the Anthems. Choosing not to return that Sacredness will come at a cost of lost customers, lost money and loss of respect for those that chose to promote a cause at the expense of what those lost customers hold sacred.

It remains to be seen how it all unfolds. The Owners are boxed in here as a sizeable percentage of their customer base does not support Anthem protests. Others do, including many players that likely won't take no for an answer so they can continue the cause.

The Owners are in a no win situation here.

Taking heat from both sides and in the pocket book also.

Many offended customers that they may choose to keep offending unless they choose to honk off the other side & many players.

A two edged Sword.

(10-18-2017, 12:56 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Baseball was something I watched because it was something my grandpa and I could both equally enjoy. He wasn't big into football, so we bonded over baseball. When he passed, my interest slowly faded over time. 

But you know how big of front runners Yankees, Cubs and Dodger fans can be. 
Bears suck.
LA doesn't care about football. 
Giants suck.
Jets are meh. 
Texans are exciting to watch but now no JJ....

Like a perfect storm for your biggest markets. No wonder the NFL made sure NE and Pitt are protected.....

That's a good point.  You're most likely right.

I can't put my finger on why my interest in baseball has waned, could be the lackluster Reds and Tigers as of late.  I guess I could at least watch Verlander pitch, much like watching Cueto pitch for the Royals..... Mellow

(10-18-2017, 12:48 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: NY, LA, Chicago and Houston are the teams left in the MLB playoffs. 

Very good points. With the salaries these players make now days and the rules of practicing basically 2 or 3 times a week, maybe mainstreet America thinks that isn't right. Just a thought... Yeah the product isn't as good as it once was. Look at tackling and line play and you can see the drop off.
(10-18-2017, 01:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's a good point.  You're most likely right.

I can't put my finger on why my interest in baseball has waned, could be the lackluster Reds and Tigers as of late.  I guess I could at least watch Verlander pitch, much like watching Cueto pitch for the Royals..... Mellow

It's just to slow anymore. You could basically watch the 1st inning, go mow the lawn and then go to the movies and make it home to watch to watch the last 2 innings. Maybe a little to much but you get my point!  
My dad always said about the NBA, "Give the teams 100 points and play the last 5 minutes".....
(10-18-2017, 01:27 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It's just to slow anymore. You could basically watch the 1st inning, go mow the lawn and then go to the movies and make it home to watch to watch the last 2 innings. Maybe a little to much but you get my point!  
My dad always said about the NBA, "Give the teams 100 points and play the last 5 minutes".....

I'm a big Dodgers fan and have been watching the playoff games...but the games start at 9 and go 3-4 hours. That's impossible for me to stay up for and be at work at 8am the next day.
Great thread. It's a good question, and I think the answer has multiple layers. And I do believe that, above all, the idea of streaming on sites for free is the biggest contributor.

But I also think that the sport is facing some massive hurdles. Between the current issues regarding NFL players off the field, the anthem protests, and concussions leading to long-term health issues.. these are all problems that many people have big issues with. It's interesting, because I used to only watch the Bengals (besides playoff games and SB).. now, I watch nearly every game each week. I love that this isn't necessarily the Patriots league, and the games are balanced.

It's funny, because the NBA seems to be on a huge rise, even though that league is worse right now IMO. I'm a big fan of both, but the forming of superteams have made things extremely unbalanced and nearly unwatchable. The NFL does a great job of balance overall, and it makes it really fun to watch for me.
Honestly a lot of the players are unlikeable and as a league...it's lucky to go a week without a guy getting arrested too.
(10-18-2017, 01:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'm a big Dodgers fan and have been watching the playoff games...but the games start at 9 and go 3-4 hours. That's impossible for me to stay up for and be at work at 8am the next day.

So glad I live on the west coast! I hate it when I visit family back east and have to wait till 1PM to watch the games!! Makes me wonder what I did all that time as a kid?
I know what you mean though, I myself can't stay up past 10 PM anymore and I am retired and have nowhere to be the next day till after 1PM.
(10-18-2017, 01:31 PM)thillan Wrote: Great thread. It's a good question, and I think the answer has multiple layers. And I do believe that, above all, the idea of streaming on sites for free is the biggest contributor.

But I also think that the sport is facing some massive hurdles. Between the current issues regarding NFL players off the field, the anthem protests, and concussions leading to long-term health issues.. these are all problems that many people have big issues with. It's interesting, because I used to only watch the Bengals (besides playoff games and SB).. now, I watch nearly every game each week. I love that this isn't necessarily the Patriots league, and the games are balanced.

It's funny, because the NBA seems to be on a huge rise, even though that league is worse right now IMO. I'm a big fan of both, but the forming of superteams have made things extremely unbalanced and nearly unwatchable. The NFL does a great job of balance overall, and it makes it really fun to watch for me.

There is no 1 answer. It's multiple and becoming 1 huge mess.
I haven't watched a non-Bengals game in 2 years at least, and I've been missing more Bengals games than ever.

Among the reasons:

1. The protests and demonizing of police
2. Constant promotion of political agendas, not just from players but especially sports media, which has swung heavily to the left recently
3. Constant rule changes
4. Double standards with certain teams
5. Roger Goodell fully embracing the Vince McMahon role
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(10-18-2017, 01:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly a lot of the players are unlikeable and as a league...it's lucky to go a week without a guy getting arrested too.

Yep, this is a HUGE reason why I love the NBA (I like the NFL a bit more).

Example: JJ Watt is just adored in this league. People love him. And I agree, he is a great guy. But man, it seems like he is such a small percentage of the NFL, and so many seem to be trouble makers. 

Meanwhile, in the NBA, there is a huge focus on family. When Hayward went down with a nasty injury last night, EVERYONE was praying and talking to him. The NBA "family" campaign they have going on is really working for them, and I like it. 

Again, I do like the NFL more, just because I find it extremely exciting, and the blowouts aren't nearly as common. 
(10-18-2017, 01:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly a lot of the players are unlikeable and as a league...it's lucky to go a week without a guy getting arrested too.

Another good point.