Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL ageda
Does anyone else get the feeling the NFL wanted to keep the game close so as not to lose viewers? Very questionable PI on two end zone passes at the end of the first half. Seems like they could possibly make one bad call like that , but two in one half?
Reply/Quote
Both calls were bad and the ref in the booth agreed both times as well that they were questionable calls. What makes ya wonder is that both were in the endzone which 99% of the time is going to equal points scored. We were able to overcome at least and get a big W against a division rival.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 01:43 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Both calls were bad and the ref in the booth agreed both times as well that they were questionable calls. What makes ya wonder is that both were in the endzone which 99% of the time is going to equal points scored. We were able to overcome at least and get a big W against a division rival.

I will go you one better. I thing the NFL, ORGANIZATION(?), go out of their way to SLIGHT the small market teams.

I.E. Today's NFLCOM site has ZIP as a headline about the BENGALS WINNING LAST NIGHT.

I saw some REALLY questionable calls. Ref's, AND Play calling that left me wondering... ANYWAY.

Yeah, I don't know why their is such an anti small market attitude. 

We can see it, but can't fix it. KICK ASS is the only thing that will make a difference.

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 01:52 PM)jwayne Wrote: I will go you one better. I thing the NFL, ORGANIZATION(?), go out of their way to SLIGHT the small market teams.

I.E. Today's NFLCOM site has ZIP as a headline about the BENGALS WINNING LAST NIGHT.

I saw some REALLY questionable calls. Ref's, AND Play calling that left me wondering... ANYWAY.

Yeah, I don't know why their is such an anti small market attitude. 

We can see it, but can't fix it. KICK ASS is the only thing that will make a difference.

GO BENGALS!
The NFL is a business and they cater to the markets that have the most fans. Until we get more fans we will always be one of the little sisters. the only way we will get respect is to KICK DOWN THE DOOR AND MAKE THEM RESPECT US.
Reply/Quote
How often do we get the big calls that help decide key games?
How often do these types of calls go against us?

We all know the answer to those questions. I've watched the Lions and they go through the same deal.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
There’s no conspiracy. We played like crap in second half. The NFL didn’t make the Bengals throw it 3x at the end of the half.
Reply/Quote
Idk, we got some weak calls that went out way as well. The Bengals had way more to do with the Ravens getting back in it then the refs.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 02:08 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: There’s no conspiracy.  We played like crap in second half.  The NFL didn’t make the Bengals throw it 3x at the end of the half.

How many times have I heard why didn't they step on their throats when they had them down. Well that's what they tried to do. Although I'm not happy with how it turned out I'm glad they didn't play like the SAME OLD BENGALS. Like they say hindsight is 20/20
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 02:18 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: How many times have I heard why didn't they step on their throats when they had them down. Well that's what they tried to do. Although I'm not happy with how it turned out I'm glad they didn't play like the SAME OLD BENGALS. Like they say hindsight is 20/20

Agreed
Reply/Quote
No. This is what NFL officiating looks like today. The NFL lost a bunch of officials this off season and also added a bunch of convoluted rules. You can watch any NFL game (where you have no stake) and objectively say the officiating is bad in general. The issue people have is everyone wants to play the victim when they are on the side of a bad call.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 02:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: No. This is what NFL officiating looks like today. The NFL lost a bunch of officials this off season and also added a bunch of convoluted rules. You can watch any NFL game (where you have no stake) and objectively say the officiating is bad in general. The issue people have is everyone wants to play the victim when they are on the side of a bad call.

Pretty much spot on. 

Can we ban conspiracy theory ref/NFL threads after every freaking game? 
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 03:44 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Pretty much spot on. 

Can we ban conspiracy theory ref/NFL threads after every freaking game? 
I have to agree with the comments about the last 3 min of the half.
EAT THE CLOCK. RUN THE BALL.
UP BY 21.. KILL THE CLOCK. RUN THE  BALL.

GO BENGALS!
Reply/Quote
IDK.. I enjoy reading Brian Touhy's version of events, but apparently this season he's not doing it. Thefixisin.net He told me that he really doesn't think Pianoman would have a detrimental effect on the cowpokers offensive line.. Now THAT'S a conspiracy theorist for ya! 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 02:18 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: How many times have I heard why didn't they step on their throats when they had them down. Well that's what they tried to do. Although I'm not happy with how it turned out I'm glad they didn't play like the SAME OLD BENGALS. Like they say hindsight is 20/20

Fans, self included, complain about 3 runs and a punt, but only when there's a lot of time on the clock and a small lead. Last night was a huge lead with 2 minutes left. In that case, you run the f--n ball, force the other team to use their time outs and hopefully are able to run for a 1st down and close out the half.

In cases where there's 9 minutes left and we have a small lead and we run twice, throw a bad pass and punt is when I get ticked about letting the other team back in the game and not attacking. Completely different situation.

Reply/Quote
Media loves to spin things against the Bengals for sure. I got a laugh out of this article, "Questionable holding call helped Bengals nail down victory." No mention of the suspect PI call that kept the Ravens alive and helped them score a TD. Instead, a questionable holding call gave the Bengals the game spin.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/09/14/questionable-holding-call-helped-bengals-nail-down-victory/

But like I have stated before, a lot of Internet sports "journalism" is more about generating clicks than quality and fair reporting.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
You know..I'm not a full fledged conspiracy theorist about the league, but they have argued in court that their business is entertainment which is true so the idea of it being a conspiracy is wrong headed when as an entertainment entity they're perfectly within their rights to script games as they see fit just as much as a movie maker is free to write scripts to entertain people. 
For some of the conspiracies to hold water you really have to prove intent to defraud people and cause harm. 
You might buy a ticket to a game, but the only thing that ticket entities you to is to have a seat from which to watch the game. Nothing is written on your ticket to imply that every aspect of the game or match is completely up to chance and only up to the abilities and skills of the participants.  Watching on TV you're entitled to even less than that seat and even less if listening on the radio and even less than that just reading about it in the newspaper..
What you cannot prove is that by going to the game(s) in person you've suffered any kind of financial hardship other than the price of the tickets themselves and that's done of your own free will with absolutely no guarantee that either side will win. 
And even if the game is completely scripted and the outcome known before hand you've still not suffered any significant loss other than pride which you can't litigate. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 05:33 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Fans, self included, complain about 3 runs and a punt, but only when there's a lot of time on the clock and a small lead. Last night was a huge lead with 2 minutes left. In that case, you run the f--n ball, force the other team to use their time outs and hopefully are able to run for a 1st down and close out the half.

In cases where there's 9 minutes left and we have a small lead and we run twice, throw a bad pass and punt is when I get ticked about letting the other team back in the game and not attacking. Completely different situation.

Tiger I can agree with most of your assessment. 

However, I need to point out that without those 2 complete bullshit PI calls (both in the end zone no less) handed the Ratbirds 14 points they wouldn't have had. A field goal, maybe 2, doesn't get them back in the game...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2018, 05:55 PM)JSR18 Wrote: Tiger I can agree with most of your assessment. 

However, I need to point out that without those 2 complete bullshit PI calls (both in the end zone no less) handed the Ratbirds 14 points they wouldn't have had. A field goal, maybe 2, doesn't get them back in the game...

Yeah, but PIs happen and Dre gets called for it a lot. He can't pull on a jersey cause the refs call that every time even if it doesn't impede the receiver. The other one was just weak.

But the team can't count on the refs to do a good job. Better off just not giving the other team the time.

Reply/Quote
Bad reffing is calling the play dead when AJ Green fumbles the ball early in the game ThumbsUp

It goes both ways, but pair that with our bad luck and it feels pretty crummy.
Reply/Quote
The refs didn’t call 3 pass plays to end the half or commit numerous 3 and outs it the second half.

And if I recall we got penalties more than once on third downs that gave us first downs.

I thought it was relatively well called game. There was some tricky tack but it went both ways.
Reply/Quote