Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NO NFL Network analyst picked us to return to Super Bowl
Out of the 25 NFL network analyst surveyed, no one picked us to even return to the Super Bowl this year

AFC PICKS

Bills: 15 picked to get there and 12 to win it.

Chargers: 5 picked to get there and win it

Chiefs/Ravens: 2 picked to each get there and one each picked to win it

Colts: 1 picked to get there and win

Broncos: 1 picked them to get to Super Bowl.

The AFC was the dominate Conference to take home the Lombardi Trophy with 20 of 25 picking an AFC team.

https://www.nfl.com/news/super-bowl-lvii-predictions-bills-vs-buccaneers-in-arizona
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I need to get Vegas on the line before people come to their senses.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
It has to be them thinking Cincy overachieved and will have a letdown. I don't get that narrative since you could also see them as the young team that now has the experience and a leg up on others. All they did was get better and I can't say the same for the division as a whole. It really does look like a bias, but that's their loss. We're getting back this year.
Reply/Quote
That's fine. The Bengals will either prove them wrong or they won't. We know what we have.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 03:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Out of the 25 NFL network analyst surveyed, no one picked  us to even return to the Super Bowl this year

AFC PICKS

Bills:  15 picked to get there and 12 to win it.

Broncos:  1 picked them to get to Super Bowl.

The AFC was the dominate Conference to take home the Lombardi Trophy with 20 of 25 picking an AFC team.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/super-bowl-lvii-predictions-bills-vs-buccaneers-in-arizona

Very surprised. i checked sports betting sites, and most have the Bengals 9th in line in terms of winning the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 03:48 PM)Nepa Wrote: Very surprised. i checked sports betting sites, and most have the Bengals 9th in line in terms of winning the Super Bowl.

I may be mistaken, but in the Super Bowl era, only a couple of teams have lost a Super Bowl and then went to the next Super Bowl and won it. There are only a handful of teams that lost a Super Bowl and got back to it the following year let alone won it. There is a lot of history of the team that loses the Super Bowl having a letdown the following season. I certainly hope the Bengals can make it back and win it. But that history may be the biggest reason why the Bengals are not being picked by many to return to the Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 04:11 PM)bwh Wrote: I may be mistaken, but in the Super Bowl era, only a couple of teams have lost a Super Bowl and then went to the next Super Bowl and won it. There are only a handful of teams that lost a Super Bowl and got back to it the following year let alone won it. There is a lot of history of the team that loses the Super Bowl having a letdown the following season. I certainly hope the Bengals can make it back and win it. But that history may be the biggest reason why the Bengals are not being picked by many to return to the Super Bowl.

This the dumbest take in all of sports. So sick of seeing it. None of those other teams that lost are the Bengals. What the **** is the point? Saying they have a smaller chance than a team like the Chargers who didn't even make the playoffs is ridiculous..
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 04:23 PM)Tony Wrote: This the dumbest take in all of sports. So sick of seeing it. None of those other teams that lost are the Bengals. What the **** is the point? Saying they have a smaller chance than a team like the Chargers who didn't even make the playoffs is ridiculous..

No need to get mad about it because he’s right and it’s not a dumb take just because you disagree. Odds are against them and the guys who do this for a living know that. It doesn’t mean they can’t do it he’s just telling you history is not on their side. I honestly don’t think they are going back to the SB this year but I really hope I am wrong.

We all hope they can be an outlier to this but recent history is the reason their odds are lower. For whatever reasons it’s really hard to go win it after you lose it. That is a fact regardless of the team. They look like they should be a really strong contender but every team needs talent and some luck to win it. Look at the history since 2000 of SB losers…

2000 New York Giants: Lost Super Bowl XXXV, finished 7-9 (missed playoffs) in following season

2001 St. Louis Rams: Lost Super Bowl XXXVI, finished 7-9 (missed playoffs) in following season

2002 Oakland Raiders: Lost Super Bowl XXXVII, finished 4-12 (missed playoffs) in following season

2003 Carolina Panthers: Lost Super Bowl XXXVIII, finished 7-9 (missed playoffs) in following season

2004 Philadelphia Eagles: Lost Super Bowl XXXIX, finished 6-10 (missed playoffs) in following season

2005 Seattle Seahawks: Lost Super Bowl XL, finished 9-7 (made playoffs) in following season

2006 Chicago Bears: Lost Super Bowl XLI, finished 7-9 (missed playoffs) in following season

2007 New England Patriots: Lost Super Bowl XLII, finished 11-5 (missed playoffs) in following season

2008 Arizona Cardinals: Lost Super Bowl XLIII, finished 10-6 (made playoffs) in following season

2009 Indianapolis Colts: Lost Super Bowl XLIV, finished 10-6 (made playoffs) in following season

2010 Pittsburgh Steelers: Lost Super Bowl XLV, finished 12-4 (made playoffs) in following season

2011 New England Patriots: Lost Super Bowl XLVI, finished 12-4 (made playoffs) in following season

2012 San Francisco 49ers: Lost Super Bowl XLVII, finished 12-4 (made playoffs) in following season

2013 Denver Broncos: Lost Super Bowl XLVIII, finished 12-4 (made playoffs) in following season

2014 Seattle Seahawks: Lost Super Bowl XLIX, finished 10-6 (made playoffs) in following season

2015 Carolina Panthers: Lost Super Bowl 50, finished 6-10 (missed playoffs) in following season

2016 Atlanta Falcons: Lost Super Bowl LI, finished 10-6 (made playoffs) in following season

2017 New England Patriots: Lost Super Bowl LII, finished 11-5 (won Super Bowl LIII) in following season

2018 Los Angeles Rams: Lost Super Bowl LIII, finished 9-7 (missed playoffs) in following season

2019 San Francisco 49ers: Lost Super Bowl LIV, finished 6-10 (missed playoffs) in following season

2020 Kansas City Chiefs: Lost Super Bowl LV, finished 12-5 (made playoffs) in following season
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 03:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Out of the 25 NFL network analyst surveyed, no one picked  us to even return to the Super Bowl this year

AFC PICKS

Bills:  15 picked to get there and 12 to win it.

Broncos:  1 picked them to get to Super Bowl.

Yep. It's pretty much par for the course. Look for the new, exciting stories (Bills and Chargers) to run with, starting the season. 

If the Bengals duplicate, even somewhat, what they did last year, they will start to get the consistent support and respect that winning teams get. 

No need for anyone to get too upset with preseason speculation. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
What these analysts don't grasp is the Bengals unlike most SB teams the year
After, retained most of their and coaching staff.
Continuity can't be stressed enough.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 04:11 PM)bwh Wrote: I may be mistaken, but in the Super Bowl era, only a couple of teams have lost a Super Bowl and then went to the next Super Bowl and won it. There are only a handful of teams that lost a Super Bowl and got back to it the following year let alone won it. There is a lot of history of the team that loses the Super Bowl having a letdown the following season. I certainly hope the Bengals can make it back and win it. But that history may be the biggest reason why the Bengals are not being picked by many to return to the Super Bowl.

(09-05-2022, 04:23 PM)Tony Wrote: This the dumbest take in all of sports. So sick of seeing it. None of those other teams that lost are the Bengals. What the **** is the point? Saying they have a smaller chance than a team like the Chargers who didn't even make the playoffs is ridiculous..

Tony, numbers don't lie. Not to say it can't happen, but odds are against it. 

I posted this a while back. 

(08-22-2022, 10:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The only thing Vegas and the NM cares about is trends. Trend says that only once in the last 27 years has a team lost a SB and returned the next year and that was the GOAT. Before that, it had been 46 years since a team lost a SB and won it the following year. 

In the entirety of the SB era (56 years) only 8 teams have returned to the SB the year after losing it. Three of those times were one team (Bills). Only 3 teams in the SB era have won the SB after losing the previous year. 

Vegas and the NM don't care about continuity and improvements. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Cause it's hard to do...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
1.  Surprised that not a single analyst chose the Bengals.  If for no other reason than there is usually one who picks a long shot just to be different from everyone else.

2.  Surprised that the Broncos did not get more love.  I don't think they are going to the Super Bowl but I think a lot of people are overlooking a team with the league's #3 defense adding a Hall-of-Fame QB still in his prime.

3.  Last year the Bengals had the #7 offense and the #17 defense.  They only won 10 games despite playing the easiest schedule in the entire league.  Their final 4 victories were all decided on the last play of the game.  It is not an anti-Bengal bias. If any other long-time losing team had a season like that it would take more consistent winning over a longer period before they were considered a legitimate Super Bowl team.  How many of you picked the '11 Patriots to repeat as Super Bowl Champions in '12?

4.  Good thing is that preseason opinions don't mean shit.  Where did these "experts" pick us to finish last year?

Who DeyWho DeyWho Dey
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 03:42 PM)phil413 Wrote: It has to be them thinking Cincy overachieved and will have a letdown.  I don't get that narrative since you could also see them as the young team that now has the experience and a leg up on others.  All they did was get better and I can't say the same for the division as a whole.  It really does look like a bias, but that's their loss. We're getting back this year.

Feel the same Phil. We have only gained great experience with our youngsters while bringing back our own that got us 
there in BJ Hill and completely upgraded our one weakness in the OL with 3 proven veterans in their prime. Also we have
no overhaul as we only lost 1 coach Al Golden who we replaced with Betcher.

We are also even younger, Reiff was older than Collins and we drafted some more youth in Dax Hill, CTB, Carter, Tycen 
and Gunter. All the while being the youngest team to ever reach the SuperBowl.

Sure, I need to see us beat the Bills and we get a chance this season at least once but I don't even have them over us. 

We were the team that put the brakes on Mahomes and the Chiefs, they sure as hell didn't.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 04:37 PM)impactplaya Wrote: What these analysts don't grasp is the Bengals unlike most SB teams the year
After, retained most of their and coaching staff.
Continuity can't be stressed enough.

Continuity doesn't really have much to do with it. 

Preparation and execution is always the #1 factor in winning and losing. If they've put last year behind them and are focused 100% on this year, prepare and execute as well to better than they did last year, then they will be successful...assuming they avoid the injury bug. 

Reply/Quote
No surprise at all. No one here picked them to make it this time last season. Historically it’s not the Bengals ‘thing’, people will need to convinced otherwise.
We’ve got a talented roster so there are good times ahead but back to back SB’s are difficult.
Reply/Quote
Analysts can think what they want. With Burrow at the helm they have a chance to win against any opponent currently in the league.

Just get us to the playoffs Joe!
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 04:36 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep. It's pretty much par for the course. Look for the new, exciting stories (Bills and Chargers) to run with, starting the season. 

If the Bengals duplicate, even somewhat, what they did last year, they will start to get the consistent support and respect that winning teams get. 

No need for anyone to get too upset with preseason speculation. 

Right

ZT had what 6 wins in the previous two seasons. Then add in Three decades of being Sick awful with a sprinkling of being one and doners. We have a loonggg history of never getting over the hump.

It's going to take more than one season of success to get past that.
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 03:42 PM)phil413 Wrote: It has to be them thinking Cincy overachieved and will have a letdown.  I don't get that narrative since you could also see them as the young team that now has the experience and a leg up on others.  All they did was get better and I can't say the same for the division as a whole.  It really does look like a bias, but that's their loss. We're getting back this year.

Well I did expect maybe 2 to 3 (figure Chargers and us would get 2-3 picks each) but I feel Bills are the class of the AFC (and so did the analyst)  and will dominate their division plus  with playing NFC Central , plus Browns -Watson they will grab home field advantage and tough to overcome 

As for a late down, it is so hard to get there, if we make it to AFC title game and lose that is not a letdown season to me.  The Ram won it last year and not one picked them to win this year again...
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2022, 03:48 PM)Nepa Wrote: Very surprised. i checked sports betting sites, and most have the Bengals 9th in line in terms of winning the Super Bowl.

Weill if 9th that about how many teams they picked to win the SB if you count them up.. i expected us on 2 to 3 to at least make it  back
Reply/Quote