Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"National Walk-Out Day"
Participation was not as great as organizers might have hoped, in some areas.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/at-a-school-in-north-carolina-he-was-the-only-one-of-700-students-who-walked-out/ar-BBKdC96?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

Quote:At 10 a.m. Wednesday, Justin Blackman got up from his desk and calmly walked out of Mr. Mendez's Spanish class. When he got outside, he discovered he was the only one.
Of the approximately 700 students at Wilson Preparatory Academy in Wilson, North Carolina, 16-year-old Justin was in a company of one during the national school walkout.
For 17 minutes, he said he stood by himself. He said he was disappointed no one joined him.

Earlier in the morning, the teen spoke with classmates about the walkout, but they didn't seem to know about it, he said.
Undeterred, when the time came, he stepped out by himself.
"I'm walking out for the national walk out," he said he told his teacher. "And he just let me go."
Shortly after, the teen uploaded a video on Twitter.
"Umm... hello Twitter, there's going to be like six people watching this hopefully," he says in the video.
"It's National Walkout Day, I'm the only one from my school out here."
Back inside
When the 17 minutes were up, Justin went back inside, hoping he wouldn't get in trouble.
He didn't -- and said someone from the school even congratulated him.
"Now, I truly know that one person is all it takes," he says, reflecting on the experience. "No matter the age, skin color, gender—it doesn't matter."
Justin's mother, Megan, said she was shocked no one else joined in, but she wasn't surprised her son participated.
"Justin is very opinionated," she told CNN. "He's not a follower. Strong minded."
Contacted by school, the school wouldn't comment on the walkout.
"We teach our students to be independent thinkers," Janet Conner-Knox, who handles public relations for Wilson Preparatory Academy, told CNN. "[Blackman] is an independent thinker."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Yeah, there was supposed to be one on campus here and the quad was empty.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-14-2018, 07:51 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, there was supposed to be one on campus here and the quad was empty.

I see that in one of two ways.

A.  The students didn't want to be political participants.

B.  Gathering like that would have made them "fish in a barrel" for any potential shooters.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-14-2018, 07:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I see that in one of two ways.

A.  The students didn't want to be political participants.

B.  Gathering like that would have made them "fish in a barrel" for any potential shooters.

The students at my son's school made it VERY clear that this was not a political statement.  They did a memorial for the students killed in Florida.  And administration worked with a few school groups to organize it.

At another local school they did have more of an anti-gun/anti-violence tinge to it.  And even there the admin worked with the students.

I wanted to go support the kids at our school but I also didn't think the police/guards wanted a whole bunch of strangers there either.

I'm glad they did it.  I hope they keep working toward ending violence where they can.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
My son attends MCHS (two killed a couple months ago). I asked him yesterday if he was participating, he didn't know anything about it. I asked today if anyone walked out, he said he didn't think so.

But he also said teachers/faculty weren't talking about it.

On the other hand, four or five neighboring districts (that handn't recently had shootings) had walk outs.
This whole thing is manufactured by radical groups. Manipulating chikdren
(03-14-2018, 11:10 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This whole thing is manufactured by radical groups.    Manipulating chikdren

I can say, with a doubt in my mind, you are wrong.

But then I have a child who is a student who participated in one and a nephew that participated in another and I am not simple knee jerk posting due to political and personal bias but rather from being informed on the event.

Rock On
(03-14-2018, 11:10 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: This whole thing is manufactured by radical groups.    Manipulating chikdren

Much like the social media declaring "I support the millions of kids not walking out and supporting the 2nd Amendment"?

In my experience, several local students traveled a few hundred miles to observe a peaceful 'sit in' that they organized at our state capitol . Nothing whatsoever with "radical groups." Not mischaracterizing that would be great.

I do not know whether you are right or not, but if any adult manipulated a child to do their bidding then I have a special place of loathe for them. 

I have read comments all day (not here, on objective forums) about the pros and cons on this movement. Whatever happened, it was influenced by an adult. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Question: Do people actually hunt with a AR 15 assault rifle? If yes, what are you hunting and trying to kill, 20 deer at a time? I'm not a hunter.
(03-15-2018, 07:10 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Question: Do people actually hunt with a AR 15 assault rifle? If yes, what are you hunting and trying to kill, 20 deer at a time? I'm not a hunter.

The thing is, I don't think it really mattered that he used an AR.  I don't think he was picking people off from 100 yds.  I probably could have done as much or more injury with a .45.  I'd have to switch magazines more often, but that's a few seconds.  I'm not some over the top gun guy, but I think focusing on the weapon used is a mistake.  

I'm not sure of the 20 deer at a time thing.  They don't fire any faster than any other rifle.  Here in Ohio you are not allowed to use a rifle, but I believe that has more to do with the flatness of the land.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I don't think anyone at my son's school walked out. I don't know that my son even knew about it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-15-2018, 12:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I do not know whether you are right or not, but if any adult manipulated a child to do their bidding then I have a special place of loathe for them. 

I have read comments all day (not here, on objective forums) about the pros and cons on this movement. Whatever happened, it was influenced by an adult. 

That's a rank over-generalization.

I can guarantee, 100%, that the local ones were not "influenced by an adult" except to work WITH the student organizations to reinforce that nothing political be done.

The walkouts were widely supported locally minus the "adults" who think kids just wanted to skip class (because that's what they would have done) and the "adults" who think if we just pray in school again everything will be A-OK.

That support comes from knowing the students and knowing what was behind the walkout...not casting doubt from hundreds of miles away.
(03-15-2018, 09:09 AM)michaelsean Wrote: The thing is, I don't think it really mattered that he used an AR.  I don't think he was picking people off from 100 yds.  I probably could have done as much or more injury with a .45.  I'd have to switch magazines more often, but that's a few seconds.  I'm not some over the top gun guy, but I think focusing on the weapon used is a mistake.  

I'm not sure of the 20 deer at a time thing.  They don't fire any faster than any other rifle.  Here in Ohio you are not allowed to use a rifle, but I believe that has more to do with the flatness of the land.

Having been an Ohioan into my early 30s, I had always been used to deer hunting with .12 ga. slugs.  It takes some skill and focus to take a deer, as you have to get much closer than if you're hunting with a rifle.  I was always jealous of the neighboring States like PA and WV, as their hunters use rifles.  So, as a resident of NC, I live in a rifle hunting State.  I was so excited to do my first hunting with a rifle, but the moment was short lived.  I had my deer in about 45 minutes.  In my mind, it was too easy, felt like "cheating'.

Now, if I'm heading to the Mountains to hunt, definitely need a rifle as the game just doesn't get that close.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-15-2018, 07:10 AM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Question: Do people actually hunt with a AR 15 assault rifle? If yes, what are you hunting and trying to kill, 20 deer at a time? I'm not a hunter.

Yes people hunt with AR15's, but not for deer. They are excellent for coyote and ground hog though. 
I think the biggest obstacle to any discussion has been the "adults".

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/leslie-gibson-gop-maine-parkland-survivor-twitter-attack_us_5aa8c26be4b001c8bf151517

Quote:GOP Candidate Apologizes For Calling Parkland Massacre Survivor A ‘Skinhead Lesbian’
The unopposed candidate for a Maine state House seat called another Parkland teen “a moron” and “bald-faced liar.”

A Republican candidate for the Maine legislature apologized after attacking two students who survived the Parkland high school massacre, calling one a “skinhead lesbian” and another a “bald-faced liar.”

Leslie Gibson, who’s running unopposed in this year’s election for the Maine House 57th District, deleted tweets bashing the students and wrote a letter to 18-year-old Emma Gonzalez, who he had called a “skinhead lesbian.” Gonzalez identifies as bisexual.

“I would like to extend to you my most sincere apology for how I addressed you. It was wrong and unacceptable,” Gibson said in a tweet.
“You are doing work that is important to you. I would like to extend my hand in friendship and understanding to you.”

Gibson didn’t apologize for calling 17-year-old David Hogg a “bald-faced liar.”

Gonzalez and Hogg have been among the most vocal student advocates for stricter gun control since the Feb. 14 mass shooting at
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida. Hogg appeared on CNN this week to urge President Donald Trump to prove he isn’t “owned” by the National Rifle Association. Gonzalez was honored by LGBTQ rights group Equality Florida for her activism.

Gibson, a lifetime NRA member, took to Twitter to attack Gonzalez after seeing an article in The Hill about the teen surpassing the NRA in Twitter followers.

“There is nothing about this skinhead lesbian that impresses me and there is nothing that she has to say unless you’re a frothing at the mouth moonbat,” he wrote.

View image on Twitter

[Image: DYFxnBMVQAAqmnE?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:[/url]

[Image: ZtUNnb8c_normal.jpg]Darth Mueller@TrumanChapman27
Replying to @SkowheganGOP

You said it was @gibson_house that said that?

Like, LESLIE GIBSON, the Tresurer of @AndroGOP? The guy running for District 57 State House seat? He called @Emma4Change what???

A "skin head lesbian"? #ParklandShooting#mepolitics
9:08 AM - Mar 12, 2018

In another tweet, Gibson claimed Gonzalez should not be called a “survivor” because she was “in a completely different part of the school” during the shooting. Gibson also called Hogg a “moron” and accused him of lying after the student said NRA spokeswoman Dana Loesch “owns” members of Congress.

“Hogg doesn’t get a pass when he blatantly lies,” Gibson tweeted.

The candidate’s insults were met with outrage. State Sen. Amy Volk ® called for Gibson to withdraw from the state House race, as did Phil Barlett, chairman of the Maine Democratic Party, who blasted Gibson’s comments as “disgusting and not representative of Maine values,” reported the Sun Journal.

As criticism mounted, Gibson scrubbed the tweets from his Twitter account and apologized to Gonzalez. He later made his personal and campaign Twitter accounts private.

He told a Sun Journal reporter that while “it was not appropriate to single out the Parkland students ... I stand firm in my defense of our constitutional rights.”

“I am very passionate about protecting our constitutional rights from those who seek their elimination,” Gibson said. 

View image on Twitter

[Image: DYNiIsKU0AABmN4?format=jpg&name=small]

Quote:[url=https://twitter.com/MLaderaFranco][Image: Rb_rcpcD_normal.jpeg]Martin Ladera@MLaderaFranco

GOP Candidate for Maine's 57th Congressional District, Leslie Gibson, tweeted this message in regards to Parkland's @Emma4Change

"There is nothing about this skinhead lesbian that impresses me."

Les Gibson, you’re a coward for deactivating your account.
Keep fighting Emma!

Gibson is the only declared candidate for a state House district where the Republican incumbent has already served the maximum number of terms allowed by law. Democrats have until Thursday to come up with a candidate. The filing deadline for independent candidates is June 1. 

See?  *HE* is just "passionate" about his rights.  The students are "lying" and "morons".

These are the alleged "adults"...and this one will be in office, unopposed.
(03-15-2018, 12:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Whatever happened, it was influenced by an adult. 

Not sure exactly what you mean by this (anticipating the usual "I never said that" defense)But I have two daughters age 12 and 14 and their desire to be heard was not influenced by an adult.  They are highly intelligent young ladies able of forming their own opinions.  They are insulted by all the claims that they are just ignorant puppets.
(03-15-2018, 12:34 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I have read comments all day (not here, on objective forums) about the pros and cons on this movement. Whatever happened, it was influenced by an adult. 

I agree. It was influenced by adults failing to do their jobs regarding the shooter. It was influenced by the adult shooter. It was influenced by adults continuing to not do a damn thing about the issue of school shootings or gun violence in general other than "more guns." It was influenced by the adults in the NRA.

I know this wasn't what you were implying, but these movements are being led by the teenagers (and sometimes younger). They may get organizing tips and help from adults, but they are leading their own movement. This isn't the first time this has happened in this country, which is unfortunate, because it means that the adults are failing the children when they have to do this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I wonder why students don't get energetic to stage walkouts to bring an end to texting & driving, when statistically there are far more teen deaths caused by it.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(03-15-2018, 11:10 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I wonder why students don't get energetic to stage walkouts to bring an end to texting & driving, when statistically there are far more teen deaths caused by it.

Why can't they care about both?

But I'll take a stab and say because they can't do that after every death.  And because laws have been passed and driving courses restructured to combat that.  Nothing will stop everything.

THIS walkout is within one month of the Florida shooting.  And the wants to bring more awareness to it.  

I'll add we can do research on texting and driving deaths...something the federal government is not allowed to do with shootings...so keeping the issue in the public eye is all they can do.