Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native American Removal/Andrew Jackson
Since I'm sure the topic of Andrew Jackson and his removal from the 20 dollar note will come up, I'd like to enlighten those who may not be familiar with some of his history.
It is a somewhat long read, but worth it to understand the plight of the Cherokee (and other tribes) and why many Native Americans refuse to use a $20 bill to this day.
This the most neutral source available and I still believe it to be rather kind to Jackson.

http://www.historynet.com/indian-removal-act

Due to his actions, I have no problem with his removal from the note and would have been against using it in the first place.
I have no problem with removing Jackson from $20.    I have some relatives in the Eastern Band of Cherokee in NC .  They are descendants of the Cherokee who escaped the removal.   Wouldn't it be fitting to replace him with a Cherokee Indian chief, though, after everything he did to the Cherokee?  At the same time, I have no problem with Tubman.  I'd just like to see a Cherokee replace Jackson.  I would put Tubman on a new denomination, such as the $25.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-23-2016, 11:15 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I have no problem with removing Jackson from $20.    I have some relatives in the Eastern Band of Cherokee in NC .  They are descendants of the Cherokee who escaped the removal.   Wouldn't it be fitting to replace him with a Cherokee Indian chief, though, after everything he did to the Cherokee?  At the same time, I have no problem with Tubman.  I'd just like to see a Cherokee replace Jackson.  I would put Tubman on a new denomination, such as the $25.

Yeah, that would poetic justice (to a mild extent).

I have no problem with Tubman on any currency.
However, I think it would be nicer on the reverse of a note.
That way it would be easier to portray a scene that illustrates her contributions/sacrifices.

I always wanted one of these.....

[Image: 03-05-15-running-antelope-2.jpg]
That is a nice looking silver certificate. Wouldn't mind having one of those. To bad the the privately owned company of the Federal Reserve has anything to do with it. Bunch of crooks.
If the Cherokee would have done a better job defending their land in the first place we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
(04-23-2016, 12:13 PM)Beaker Wrote: If the Cherokee would have done a better job defending their land in the first place we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

I think I heard that somewhere before.
Big Grin
(04-23-2016, 12:13 PM)Beaker Wrote: If the Cherokee would have done a better job defending their land in the first place we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

If we applied that to every aspect of life, the world would be a pretty shitty place.
(04-23-2016, 12:51 PM)Benton Wrote: If we applied that to every aspect of life, the world would be a pretty shitty place.

It already is hahaha
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
(04-23-2016, 08:51 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Since I'm sure the topic of Andrew Jackson and his removal from the 20 dollar note will come up, I'd like to enlighten those who may not be familiar with some of his history.
It is a somewhat long read, but worth it to understand the plight of the Cherokee  (and other tribes) and why many Native Americans refuse to use a $20 bill to this day.
This the most neutral source available and I still believe it to be rather kind to Jackson.

http://www.historynet.com/indian-removal-act

Due to his actions, I have no problem with his removal from the note and would have been against using it in the first place.

Personally, I think they should have kept Jackson on the twenty... and added a pictures of Harriet Tubman and Pocahantas wearing strap-ons and 'pegging' his tired old racist buttt.  ThumbsUp
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
[Image: steve-judd-andrew-jackson.jpg]

[Image: d3d043409d6737ac88b93cf0e963ab18.jpg]
(04-23-2016, 12:51 PM)Benton Wrote: If we applied that to every aspect of life, the world would be a pretty shitty place.

Already is.
I like this depiction of Tubman.

[Image: HarrietTubman20-1.png]

I'll add this here, as well.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/434360/harriet-tubman-20-bill-change-honors-american-hero?TkypPPZlWmswlkOZ.01
I am one that actually advocates for some radical changes to our currency. Size differences for notes based on denomination, get rid of the $1 bill and go with coins al a Canada and Europe. They last longer in circulation and save production costs. I'm also for changing up what is on the currency. Important people and events in our history depicted on the bills.

But that's just my opinion on it...
People still use cash?
(04-24-2016, 04:55 AM)Nately120 Wrote: People still use cash?

All the time.

Yes.....because I can't get my debit card to register, when I swipe it down a stripper's crack.

I went back to mostly all cash. Its easier to stick to a budget when you have x amount of cash per week and that's all you spend.
(04-24-2016, 07:50 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Yes.....because I can't get my debit card to register, when I swipe it down a stripper's crack.

That's when those coins Matt wants us to use are really frowned upon.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-24-2016, 10:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: That's when those coins Matt wants us to use are really frowned upon.

Mellow

Strippers love it when you flip those coins and say "heads you keep it, tails I get a free lap dance."
(04-24-2016, 07:50 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: Yes.....because I can't get my debit card to register, when I swipe it down a stripper's crack.

Given inflation I'm afraid to ask what denomination is commonly stuffed into stripper thongs these days.

And spare me the obvious joke of suggesting I go ask my momma, or something.