Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nearly $70 million under the Cap has produced this underwhelming free agency period?
I’ve been very vocal about this since Monday. Anyone saying FA just started, just wait….do some research please. We have 2 major holes and there were options available. They are now all gone. Yes we can find someone to play DT. He won’t be any good. We sucked last year with Hill and Reader. And reader is damn good at stopping the run. We still sucked.

The free agents left won’t make are team better than last year. We have all this damn cap space and it should have been used to sign some really good players. There are still good players left, but not at the positions we need. Are we going to sign another S? The best player we signed was Stone, who was ranked by the nfl as #66 free agent. I’m only staying that for reference. The best players available are a couple CB, DE, and 1 RT who is 33. All the FA are older or positions we don’t need for starters.

If you think “we still have time”, please tell me who exactly we should sign that actually makes us better than the guy he replaced from last year. Unless we want to sign one of the edge rushers, for rotational, or CB fuller, I don’t see anyone who is going to make us better. Reader doesn’t make us better. Arguable he could make us worse because he’s a year older and injured.

Don’t worry, we’ll draft a rookie rt at 18 and hope and a prayer we don’t reach for a DT at 49.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:02 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I’ve been very vocal about this since Monday. Anyone saying FA just started, just wait….do some research please. We have 2 major holes and there were options available. They are now all gone. Yes we can find someone to play DT. He won’t be any good. We sucked last year with Hill and Reader. And reader is damn good at stopping the run. We still sucked.

The free agents left won’t make are team better than last year. We have all this damn cap space and it should have been used to sign some really good players. There are still good players left, but not at the positions we need. Are we going to sign another S? The best player we signed was Stone, who was ranked by the nfl as #66 free agent. I’m only staying that for reference. The best players available are a couple CB, DE, and 1 RT who is 33. All the FA are older or positions we don’t need for starters.

If you think “we still have time”, please tell me who exactly we should sign that actually makes us better than the guy he replaced from last year. Unless we want to sign one of the edge rushers, for rotational, or CB fuller, I don’t see anyone who is going to make us better. Reader doesn’t make us better. Arguable he could make us worse because he’s a year older and injured.

Don’t worry, we’ll draft a rookie rt at 18 and hope and a prayer we don’t reach for a DT at 49.

I'm sure that as time goes by, we'll read about all of the players that the team was in talks with, but were not quite able to close the deal.  It's not like they sat and did nothing, they just were not willing to overpay for players whose organizations that originally chose them declined to re-sign.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:28 PM)Jugular Joe Wrote: I'm confused by what's going on in the front office.

Ridley still sitting out there.    You can safely move on from Higgins with a much cheaper option and pretty similar production.

The Mixon for Moss move is simply ridiculous.   For that little savings?   Good luck having Moss stay healthy.     I'm assuming Chase Brown is going to get a healthy bulk of the work.  Mixon was a workhorse, one of the emotional leaders of this team and very dependable and consistent.

Ridley was just signed by the Titans for a crazy amount and overpaid, he isn't even as good as Tee and is like 4 years older.

Moss fits our team better than Mixon, way better out of the Shotgun running the ball, much better in pass protection, tons better in yards after
contact, is younger and cheaper with way less wear and tear. I do agree that as of right now I am disappointed, haven't even signed a guy today.

What the heck is going on?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ridley was just signed by the Titans for a crazy amount and overpaid, he isn't even as good as Tee and is like 4 years older.

Moss fits our team better than Mixon, way better out of the Shotgun running the ball, much better in pass protection, tons better in yards after
contact, is younger and cheaper with way less wear and tear. I do agree that as of right now I am disappointed, haven't even signed a guy today.

What the heck is going on?

I dunno but they def need to do something.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:32 PM)pulses Wrote: I dunno but they def need to do something.

If by FA's end we have Arik Armstead and Trent Brown in the fold I will be happy but I cannot blame the negative nancy's today.

They are right to negative. We will see if they stay right.

Cannot imagine the FO leaves 2 giant holes at DT and RT going into the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If by FA's end we have Arik Armstead and Trent Brown in the fold I will be happy but I cannot blame the negative nancy's today.

Do you fault the Debbie Downers?

Just having some fun. I'll show myself out now.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If by FA's end we have Arik Armstead and Trent Brown in the fold I will be happy but I cannot blame the negative nancy's today.

Bet they sign Josh Jones for RT he's 26 and a reclamation project lol.   pff last year of 49 and 75.6 the year before. 5 penalties and 1 sack given up in 227 snaps last year.
Reply/Quote
This has been a. Good free agency? Moss is a much better running back at this point, a MUCH MUCH better pass blocker, and much cheaper for a team that dosent utilize running game
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:37 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Do you fault the Debbie Downers?

Just having some fun. I'll show myself out now.

Nope. Not today... LOL

(03-13-2024, 07:38 PM)pulses Wrote: Bet they sign Josh Jones for RT he's 26 and a reclamation project lol.   pff last year of 49 and 75.6 the year before. 5 penalties and 1 sack given up in 227 snaps last year.

Ugh, maybe Cody Ford is our plan at RT.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nope. Not today... LOL

Ugh, maybe Cody Ford is our plan at RT.  Mellow

Ford is even worse than Jones.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ugh, maybe Cody Ford is our plan at RT.  Mellow

Jackson Carman says hi.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:42 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Jackson Carman says hi.

He'll be cut too....he's about useless.
Reply/Quote
Is this thread a cut and paste from last year?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:42 PM)pulses Wrote: Ford is even worse than Jones.

Woof, 49 PFF score is pretty bad itself. What did Ford rate at last season in his little time again?

(03-13-2024, 07:42 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Jackson Carman says hi.

I used to be the biggest Carman backer on this board, but I only think he can play LT and that is Orlando's spot.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Woof, 49 PFF score is pretty bad itself. What did Ford rate at last season in his little time again?

I used to be the biggest Carman backer on this board, but I only think he can play LT and that is Orlando's spot.

In al seriousness, Jonah is still out there. Perhaps he returns.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Woof, 49 PFF score is pretty bad itself. What did Ford rate at last season in his little time again?

Ford was a 53 and a 41 the year before.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:46 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: In al seriousness, Jonah is still out there. Perhaps he returns.
1 year deal tops if so.
Reply/Quote

maybe they move OBJ to RT for one year and sign Tyron Smith for a 1 yr deal
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: We signed Higgins, that ate up almost 22 million in 2024. 

Mixon cut and Moss addition netted us additional cap money.

We had no TE on the roster, we signed Sample and Gesicki for team friendly deals. 

We signed back our back up RB Williams and ST star Davis - Gaither

We upgraded Geno Stone from Scott

What would you have done differently on day 1 of FA?

I would not have spent $8 mil on Sample ($4.9) and ADG ($3) on day 1. Those guys are draft/replaceable or cheaper in my view. Or guys you wait on. How is $5 mil for Sample team friendly? 

I'd have signed Tommy Townsend for $3 mil instead. Like the Texans did. 

I'd have locked Reader up. More years. More guaranteed $$. Whatever it took. 

If I was gonna overpay a backup, it would be at RT. Say, La'el Collins. 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:28 PM)Jugular Joe Wrote: I'm confused by what's going on in the front office.

Ridley still sitting out there.    You can safely move on from Higgins with a much cheaper option and pretty similar production.

The Mixon for Moss move is simply ridiculous.   For that little savings?   Good luck having Moss stay healthy.     I'm assuming Chase Brown is going to get a healthy bulk of the work.  Mixon was a workhorse, one of the emotional leaders of this team and very dependable and consistent.

What you're missing is the obvious part, the Bengals are doing away with the traditional "featured back" in the offense.  This is a signal that they are definitely going to go with the RBBC approach and use each back on drives scripted to get the most of their abilities.  Mixon was a volume guy, and now he's pretty much worn out, after just 7 years.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote