Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nearly $70 million under the Cap has produced this underwhelming free agency period?
(03-13-2024, 07:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nope. Not today... LOL

Ugh, maybe Cody Ford is our plan at RT.  Mellow

I am actually OK with drafting RT at #18. Fuaga or Latham are plug & play. Mims/Guyton are less experienced, but IDK if I go raw. Raw guys get beat a lot & make mistakes. They didn't do much of that. 3 sacks between them. 

Of course,,T. Smith for a year or two works as well. But I'd rather pay Reader.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:46 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: In al seriousness, Jonah is still out there. Perhaps he returns.

Perhaps and I would be a lot better with that than no pickup in FA for sure.

(03-13-2024, 07:47 PM)pulses Wrote: Ford was a 53 and a 41 the year before.

Thanks, still pretty shitty. At least Josh Jones had a decent year the year before.

(03-13-2024, 07:49 PM)pulses Wrote: maybe they move OBJ to RT for one year and sign Tyron Smith for a 1 yr deal

Maybe, I don't know if OBJ would like that though and Tyron Smith is always injured.

(03-13-2024, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What you're missing is the obvious part, the Bengals are doing away with the traditional "featured back" in the offense.  This is a signal that they are definitely going to go with the RBBC approach and use each back on drives scripted to get the most of their abilities.  Mixon was a volume guy, and now he's pretty much worn out, after just 7 years.

Very true, I bet the running game is a lot better this year, couldn't get any worse than last year. At least Moss seems consistent when 
he runs, hits holes the same way all the time, has better balance and stays more upright and the other things mentioned he is better at
than Mixon.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What you're missing is the obvious part, the Bengals are doing away with the traditional "featured back" in the offense.  This is a signal that they are definitely going to go with the RBBC approach and use each back on drives scripted to get the most of their abilities.  Mixon was a volume guy, and now he's pretty much worn out, after just 7 years.

Right. Same thing at TE. 

We'll be even MORE predictable. Huzzah! 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:54 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I am actually OK with drafting RT at #18. Fuaga or Latham are plug & play. Mims/Guyton are less experienced, but IDK if I go raw. Raw guys get beat a lot & make mistakes. They didn't do much of that. 3 sacks between them. 

Of course,,T. Smith for a year or two works as well. But I'd rather pay Reader.

Oh yeah, would love Fuaga or Latham at 18. Fuaga has been my guy at RT from the get go, explosive hands, physical, nice jump off the snap...

And even though Bama OL have been disappointments lately, I think Latham could be the exception, I like his physicality as well and he is big. Mellow

With Reader, I cannot help but think the Bengals Doctors and the FO knows more than anyone and that is why they didn't already extend him.

If he can never play again, he certainly doesn't help us. That treadmill vid was encouraging though, but we saw some of the same things with 
La'el Collins acting like he was ready to go ahead of schedule and we ended up cutting the guy.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:33 PM)Jugular Joe Wrote: If you can get that for Higgins at this point,  that would be a minor miracle. 

After seeing what ridley just got at 30yrs old man we should sure be able to get a 2nd for Tee.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 05:28 PM)Jugular Joe Wrote: The Mixon for Moss move is simply ridiculous.   For that little savings?   

With the easy access to all the advanced stats that are available, it is embarrassing that comments like this are even being made.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:01 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: After seeing what ridley just got at 30yrs old man we should sure be able to get a 2nd for Tee.

Easily or even the Lions 29th pick like Orlovsky was saying.

(03-13-2024, 08:02 PM)casear2727 Wrote: With the easy access to all the advanced stats that are available, it is embarrassing that comments like this are even being made.

I know, weird how we were the worst running team in the NFL last year and so many want that back.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 06:22 PM)CottonHill Wrote: Personally, I would be looking for a trade for Tee. That’s a lot of money for someone who doesn’t want to be here and there are plenty of routes to replacing him.

Is it though?  21M for a very good WR is not a lot anymore.  I've not declared one way or the other as to the trade Tee argument but the cap hit is not that burdensome.  We could tag him again next year and still be around avg market value assuming he has a solid year.

That said:

Stone misses a lot of tackles, but Scott never had the season Stone just had, albeit on an elite defense which is a good point.

Gesicki is a better signing than Irv, even though I graded it a C.  He will catch balls and make some plays, but we are not fooling anyone with him in the game, he is not a blocker.

Moss was a good, not great, pickup.

We could use a vet CB4 at the least, IMO.  

LBs need to play better but we are not replacing either.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Easily or even the Lions 29th pick like Orlovsky was saying.

I know, weird how we were the worst running team in the NFL last year and so many want that back.

The Lions just paid St. Brown i'm pretty sure they can't afford Higggins too but I see your point. Realistically to Arizona for either 27 or 35 plus a 5th
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:10 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Is it though?  21M for a very good WR is not a lot anymore.  I've not declared one way or the other as to the trade Tee argument but the cap hit is not that burdensome.  We could tag him again next year and still be around avg market value assuming he has a solid year.

That said:

Stone misses a lot of tackles, but Scott never had the season Stone just had, albeit on an elite defense which is a good point.

Gesicki is a better signing than Irv, even though I graded it a C.  He will catch balls and make some plays, but we are not fooling anyone with him in the game, he is not a blocker.

Moss was a good, not great, pickup.

We could use a vet CB4 at the least, IMO.  

LBs need to play better but we are not replacing either.

Maybe Kendall Fuller is still in play, just strange not hearing anything today when it is actually allowed.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:46 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: In al seriousness, Jonah is still out there. Perhaps he returns.

If the Bengals have to go to Jonah, they have screwed up.   The could have signed Jermaine Eluemunor at 2 years, 7 million dollars per year.  Eluemunor would be cheaper than Jonah and if you look at his PFF grade, he actually did much better than Jonah.   The Bengals would be paying more for a RT that wasnt as good as the guy they could have signed from the beginning.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm sure that as time goes by, we'll read about all of the players that the team was in talks with, but were not quite able to close the deal.  It's not like they sat and did nothing, they just were not willing to overpay for players whose organizations that originally chose them declined to re-sign.

Exactly 
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:12 PM)pulses Wrote: The Lions just paid St. Brown i'm pretty sure they can't afford Higgins too but I see your point. Realistically to Arizona for either 27 or 35 plus a 5th

Someone mentioned that a while back but I don't think the Lions have paid St. Brown yet. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Maybe Kendall Fuller is still in play, just strange not hearing anything today when it actually allowed.

Fuller wants 13M per year.  Are they sitting DJ or would they rather find a CB4?  I'd be happy if they signed Fuller, just not sure they are going in that deep at CB.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:20 PM)Synric Wrote: Someone mentioned that a while back but I don't think the Lions have paid St. Brown yet. 

It's coming tho.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10111753-nfl-rumors-amon-ra-st-brown-lions-close-on-new-contract-worth-26-28m-per-season
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 07:50 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I would not have spent $8 mil on Sample ($4.9) and ADG ($3) on day 1. Those guys are draft/replaceable or cheaper in my view. Or guys you wait on. How is $5 mil for Sample team friendly? 

I'd have signed Tommy Townsend for $3 mil instead. Like the Texans did. 

I'd have locked Reader up. More years. More guaranteed $$. Whatever it took. 

If I was gonna overpay a backup, it would be at RT. Say, La'el Collins. 

Sample was a team friendly deal. It’s probably closer to 3 years for 6 million with incentives. Ash may seem like a overpay but he’s the :rd linebacker AND a very good special teamer. Sample is an elite blocking te. Reader is coming off a major injury and on the wrong side of 30.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:22 PM)pulses Wrote: It's coming tho.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10111753-nfl-rumors-amon-ra-st-brown-lions-close-on-new-contract-worth-26-28m-per-season

I expect it is I just remember someone saying he had signed for 25m apy right before the salary cap went up. I can see him getting 27 or 28m apy. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I have a funny feeling Gesicki will be lining up in slot a lot and Sample at TE. In other words Gesicki may be more of a Boyd replacement than a TE1.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:27 PM)Joelist Wrote: I have a funny feeling Gesicki will be lining up in slot a lot and Sample at TE. In other words Gesicki may be more of a Boyd replacement than a TE1.

This is exactly correct. 

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2024, 08:24 PM)Synric Wrote: I expect it is I just remember someone saying he had signed for 25m apy right before the salary cap went up. I can see him getting 27 or 28m apy. 
Me too he's just a great football player.
Reply/Quote