Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with an old Briggs and Stratton
So I have a Murray push mower that I believe dates from sometime between '85-'95. It was collecting dust on a shelf in the back of the shed for about 14 years. The misses set up a garden area that doesn't allow use of the rider, so I pulled it out to maintain that area. I turned the blade by hand to break any seizure in the cylinder, added some fresh gas, and pulled the cord. Started right up, but runs pretty darn rough, so it is need of a tune up. The plug will be easy enough to replace, as it will have identifying marks that can be used to match up to a modern equivalent. My problem lies in the foam air filter. It is super dirty, but also kind of dry rotted, so I can't just wash, dry, and oil it. It needs to be replaced, and I can't seem to find any part number on the housing. The engine says Briggs and Stratton Magnetron, around the pull cord vents, and there is nothing else I can find to identify the model of the engine. The Google machine hasn't been much help, nor has the B&S website. There was one filter I found on B&S that stated it was for model years around that time, but the item pictured is not the same shape. Does anyone have any knowledge on how I can find one?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2021, 04:08 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So I have a Murray push mower that I believe dates from sometime between '85-'95.  It was collecting dust on a shelf in the back of the shed for about 14 years.  The misses set up a garden area that doesn't allow use of the rider, so I pulled it out to maintain that area.  I turned the blade by hand to break any seizure in the cylinder, added some fresh gas, and pulled the cord.  Started right up, but runs pretty darn rough, so it is need of a tune up.  The plug will be easy enough to replace, as it will have identifying marks that can be used to match up to a modern equivalent.  My problem lies in the foam air filter.  It is super dirty, but also kind of dry rotted, so I can't just wash, dry, and oil it.  It needs to be replaced, and I can't seem to find any part number on the housing.  The engine says Briggs and Stratton Magnetron, around the pull cord vents, and there is nothing else I can find to identify the model of the engine.  The Google machine hasn't been much help, nor has the B&S website.  There was one filter I found on B&S that stated it was for model years around that time, but the item pictured is not the same shape.  Does anyone have any knowledge on how I can find one?
https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Filter-Washable-Pack-20x30x1/dp/B07V8LHH7Z/ref=asc_df_B07V8LHH7Z/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459706200221&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4548506729535347806&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1017873&hvtargid=pla-956046085320&psc=1
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Try this link for the air filter.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-5088K-Air-Filter/dp/B00114PCEI/ref=asc_df_B00114PCEI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=351606580515&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14588004529126000853&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009675&hvtargid=pla-759240095425&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=71965060518&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=351606580515&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14588004529126000853&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009675&hvtargid=pla-759240095425

I would also recommend running some fuel stabilizer through, to help clean out any residue on the small parts in the carburator.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2021, 05:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Filter-Washable-Pack-20x30x1/dp/B07V8LHH7Z/ref=asc_df_B07V8LHH7Z/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=459706200221&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4548506729535347806&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1017873&hvtargid=pla-956046085320&psc=1

Interesting thought.  This might have to be the fall back idea if I can't find a genuine replacement part.  Thanks for the idea.

(06-20-2021, 05:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Try this link for the air filter.

https://www.amazon.com/Briggs-Stratton-5088K-Air-Filter/dp/B00114PCEI/ref=asc_df_B00114PCEI/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=351606580515&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14588004529126000853&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009675&hvtargid=pla-759240095425&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=71965060518&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=351606580515&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14588004529126000853&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009675&hvtargid=pla-759240095425

I would also recommend running some fuel stabilizer through, to help clean out any residue on the small parts in the carburator.

Thanks for the link.  This looks like the one I mentioned that is shaped differently, but I noticed in the comment section that someone had trimmed the triangular section to make it fit their needs, which sounds similar to the shape difference I have.  So this might work.  I did notice in the lower section of similarly searched items that you can buy this filter AND the housing which was labeled as a filter upgrade.  I'm starting to think I need to email the fine people at B&S customer service to see what they can tell me.  Perhaps that upgrade kit will fit as a direct replacement.

As for the stabilizer, I always use it in my small engine gas.  There is a spray from PB Blaster that is intended to spray into the cylinder before starting, then into the air intake while running to help clear out deposits, and I planned to do that at the same time as the filter change.  I actually hit the auto parts stores looking for some today with no success, so I will probably stop by Wally World (Walmart) tomorrow for a can.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2021, 08:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Interesting thought.  This might have to be the fall back idea if I can't find a genuine replacement part.  Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for the link.  This looks like the one I mentioned that is shaped differently, but I noticed in the comment section that someone had trimmed the triangular section to make it fit their needs, which sounds similar to the shape difference I have.  So this might work.  I did notice in the lower section of similarly searched items that you can buy this filter AND the housing which was labeled as a filter upgrade.  I'm starting to think I need to email the fine people at B&S customer service to see what they can tell me.  Perhaps that upgrade kit will fit as a direct replacement.

As for the stabilizer, I always use it in my small engine gas.  There is a spray from PB Blaster that is intended to spray into the cylinder before starting, then into the air intake while running to help clear out deposits, and I planned to do that at the same time as the filter change.  I actually hit the auto parts stores looking for some today with no success, so I will probably stop by Wally World (Walmart) tomorrow for a can.

I'm pretty sure that the new shaped filter and housing will fit right onto the older B&S engines.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
There's lots of small engine videos that explain the basics of tearing them down and rebuilding, but you probably don't have to go to that extent. 
Check out this woman..She explains them pretty darn well..
https://youtu.be/IFujsymF2HY
There's plenty of others as well..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Oh yeah..don't ever use gas with alcohol in it. Always use alcohol free gasoline in small engines.  I've been running my mower for 5 years trouble free with zero alcohol gas.. Stabilizer especially over long periods of little use or at the very least go out once a week and start it up if you forget stabilizer..and change the oil more often than every ten years..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I had back to back Briggs and Stratton engines probably going back ten years. They always took the same filter. The front had like a criss cross white front with a blue rim around it. Or maybe it’s all blue. Rectangular. The other side is just the folds of the filter.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Filter helps a lot, but they're not always absolutely necessary. If I have my rathers I'll always use one, but I've run them without. More important is the jet in the carb ,fuel line, ignition system type stuff and they're all pretty simple to replace.  I'd replace the jet, ignition and probably the fuel delivery system, hoses, gaskets, rubber gromets, that kind of stuff. It's cheap stuff. 

Reply/Quote
I forget the brand, but years ago I was gifted an ancient push mower. First thing I did was try and tune it up, and found the filter was pretty much just gas-smelling dirt. I took the case to a local Mom&Pop Hardware Store and they helped me match up the closest one, suggesting I trim off any excess.

I used that mower for a good six or seven years before I wrapped a metal cable around the blade and seized the mower.

Short version: find something too big and trim it.
Reply/Quote
Bottom line is if it's running really rough a new filter ain't gonna do a whole lot other than let more oxygen to the fuel mixture. New ignition and carb jet will probably go a whole lot further to help matters. The jet is a matter of 4 bolts and ignition probably even fewer..
If it'll run without the filter it'll run with one on it. Filter just keeps most of the crud from reaching the jet..
If all you're looking to do is change the filter you might as well just stuff a rag in there and call it a day..
By the way..Murray is notorious for being the cheapest of the cheap models. Briggs and Stratton makes a bunch of different engine models from top of the line industrial applications down to the cheapest Walmart models and the Murray name is one of the cheapest.
There's basically two companies that make all lawn mowers all branded under different names.   

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 07:08 AM)grampahol Wrote: Bottom line is if it's running really rough a new filter ain't gonna do a whole lot other than let more oxygen to the fuel mixture. New ignition and carb jet will probably go a whole lot further to help matters. The jet is a matter of 4 bolts and ignition probably even fewer..
If it'll run without the filter it'll run with one on it. Filter just keeps most of the crud from reaching the jet..
If all you're looking to do is change the filter you might as well just stuff a rag in there and call it a day..
By the way..Murray is notorious for being the cheapest of the cheap models. Briggs and Stratton makes a bunch of different engine models from top of the line industrial applications down to the cheapest Walmart models and the Murray name is one of the cheapest.
There's basically two companies that make all lawn mowers all branded under different names.   

Then they are the best of the bunch, since it has ran for 20+ years without a hiccup on almost zero maintenance, then started on the first pull after a dozen years untouched on a shelf.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 06:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Then they are the best of the bunch, since it has ran for 20+ years without a hiccup on almost zero maintenance, then started on the first pull after a dozen years untouched on a shelf.

Yeah, I've had some old Murray mowers that I basically treated like hand held bush hogs. I can't vouch for the newer Murray mowers, but the older ones were tough as nails.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What can I say? Sometimes you get a great model built on a Wednesday when everyone is thinking about their jobs and sometimes you get a Monday model when everyone is still hung over from the weekend.. Personally I've had zero luck with Murray anything. 

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2021, 05:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Try this link for the air filter.

(06-20-2021, 08:32 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Interesting thought.  This might have to be the fall back idea if I can't find a genuine replacement part.  Thanks for the idea.

(06-20-2021, 09:11 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the new shaped filter and housing will fit right onto the older B&S engines.

So I pulled the trigger on the filter/housing combo, and you were correct that it fit the engine perfectly.  If anyone else runs into that problem in the future, this is the solution.

Thanks to all for the recommendations!
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2021, 08:48 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So I pulled the trigger on the filter/housing combo, and you were correct that it fit the engine perfectly.  If anyone else runs into that problem in the future, this is the solution.

Thanks to all for the recommendations!

Alright!  Glad to hear that it worked out for you.  Most times a new plug, air filter, and de-gumming of the carb will bring most older mowers back to life.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2021, 05:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Alright!  Glad to hear that it worked out for you.  Most times a new plug, air filter, and de-gumming of the carb will bring most older mowers back to life.

Haven't started it yet, as the gas can is empty, but I do expect that it will be a world of difference being able to breath again...
Reply/Quote
Once you get it going run some Seafoam thru it.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2021, 07:08 AM)grampahol Wrote: If all you're looking to do is change the filter you might as well just stuff a rag in there and call it a day..

Truer words...
Reply/Quote
Go get some alcohol free gas and stop running it (alcohol) in small engines..That'll solve a lot of problems itself..

Reply/Quote