Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nervous? Not Joe
I've said this before and this is the last time I'll say it before Burrow begins his career.

Imagine hating on the QB who broke almost every single record in CFB. If you aren't happy with this pick you either need to become a bandwagon fan or quit watching football. Burrow is the QB you dream about in your sleep.

Don't be a Fred in life... be slightly more optimistic.

Good night.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 11:01 PM)LSU Tiger Wrote: Steelers/LSU fan here, coming in peace because I love Joe Burrow.

I love him so much I want him to light it up with y'all.

Anyone saying he was "bad" in 2018 or was a one year wonder did not watch Joe Burrow play in 2018 (which, by the way, was his first year as a starter, in what happens to be the toughest conference in college football).

The offense in his first year was stale, outdated, power toss type offense. Nevertheless, he showed flashes in the first part of the season (Ole Miss game for example).

But something clicked for him after the Alabama game. After that game (so, the final four of the season) his stats:

81/121, 1167 yards, 10 PTDs, 3 RTD, 1 INT. What does that normalize over a 15 game season?

304/454, 67%, 4,376 yards (9.64 ypa), 59 total TDs, 4 INTs.

What were his actual stats in 2019?

402/527, 76.3%, 5671 yards (10.8 y/a), 65 total TDs, 6 ints

While obviously he improved in 2019 (in addition to the modernization of our offense), it's silly to pretend he just came out of nowhere. He was playing at this level for the last 4 games of his first year as a starter.

Y'all can look up the numbers yourself, so I'm not telling you anything new, but the naysayers I've seen around here relying on "one hit wonder" did not watch him in 2018. I knew he'd be great in 2019 (though not as great as he ended up) based on his Fiesta Bowl performance alone. I texted my college buddies after his Texas game that he should be a Heisman contender.

Complaints about his arm strength are overblown. He is hyper accurate, and fit it into insane windows with regularity in college. He's not Mahomes arm strength, but he's not Chad Pennington either.

He's ultra competitive. He's confident. He's a leader. He's everything you want in a QB.

Could he bust? Sure. But there's nothing about him that would lead me to believe he will.

Really rooting for him to dominate with y'all.

I really appreciate you coming in here to post that.
Reply/Quote
Me too.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 11:18 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I really appreciate you coming in here to post that.

Of course. I'm rooting for him.

Ultimately, the draft is a crapshoot. He could bust. Anyone could.

But there's a difference between getting lucky and calling bust and having some real evidence to predict bust. And over the last 19 games of his college career, he has done nothing to point in that direction. 

It'd be sort of like me predicting a Hall of Fame career. It could happen. But there's absolutely nothing to base that prediction on.

When you're drafting players, you have to project. And everything you project on, he has in spades. That doesn't mean it is a guarantee.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 11:01 PM)LSU Tiger Wrote: Steelers/LSU fan here, coming in peace because I love Joe Burrow.

Anyone saying he was "bad" in 2018 or was a one year wonder did not watch Joe Burrow play in 2018 (which, by the way, was his first year as a starter, in what happens to be the toughest conference in college football).

The offense in his first year was stale, outdated, power toss type offense. Nevertheless, he showed flashes in the first part of the season (Ole Miss game for example).

But something clicked for him after the Alabama game. After that game (so, the final four of the season) his stats:

81/121, 1167 yards, 10 PTDs, 3 RTD, 1 INT. What does that normalize over a 15 game season?

While obviously he improved in 2019 (in addition to the modernization of our offense), it's silly to pretend he just came out of nowhere. He was playing at this level for the last 4 games of his first year as a starter.

Y'all can look up the numbers yourself, so I'm not telling you anything new, but the naysayers I've seen around here relying on "one hit wonder" did not watch him in 2018. I knew he'd be great in 2019 (though not as great as he ended up) based on his Fiesta Bowl performance alone. I texted my college buddies after his Texas game that he should be a Heisman contender.

Complaints about his arm strength are overblown. He is hyper accurate, and fit it into insane windows with regularity in college. He's not Mahomes arm strength, but he's not Chad Pennington either.

He's ultra competitive. He's confident. He's a leader. He's everything you want in a QB.

Could he bust? Sure. But there's nothing about him that would lead me to believe he will.

BuT jOe BrAdY!!!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 12:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: BuT jOe BrAdY!!!!

Joe Brady modernized the offense. I think he's a brilliant mind and coach.

But Burrow made it happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY75swVleFU

Joe Brady had nothing to do with that, and the dozens of plays like it throughout the season.

Burrow had "it" in college, whatever it is, and you can't teach that.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 12:22 AM)LSU Tiger Wrote: Joe Brady modernized the offense. I think he's a brilliant mind and coach.

Joe Brady had nothing to do with that, and the dozens of plays like it throughout the season.

And I still contend (as I arguably watch the most LSU games/content of anyone on this board) that Ensminger is the one with the plan and the scheme; Brady just introduced some plays and finer points, but he is just a part of why LSU was so successful last year: Ensminger changing the scheme from heavy run to more pass, really has made a difference.

It's why Brennan will have a superb year this year; not 60 TDs, but 35 is definitely within the realm of possibility and 35 is a damn good number for the NCAA.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 10:42 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And I still contend (as I arguably watch the most LSU games/content of anyone on this board) that Ensminger is the one with the plan and the scheme; Brady just introduced some plays and finer points, but he is just a part of why LSU was so successful last year: Ensminger changing the scheme from heavy run to more pass, really has made a difference.

It's why Brennan will have a superb year this year; not 60 TDs, but 35 is definitely within the realm of possibility and 35 is a damn good number for the NCAA.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 12:22 AM)LSU Tiger Wrote: Joe Brady modernized the offense. I think he's a brilliant mind and coach.

That's a relief, because as a fanbase we've been blaming coaches for all sorts of failures for the past 4+ years, that's for sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 10:42 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: And I still contend (as I arguably watch the most LSU games/content of anyone on this board) that Ensminger is the one with the plan and the scheme; Brady just introduced some plays and finer points, but he is just a part of why LSU was so successful last year: Ensminger changing the scheme from heavy run to more pass, really has made a difference.

You've met your match. I was actually fortunate to both be at the Peach Bowl and Natty this past year. I always joke how bitter I'd be for the rest of my life if COVID shut everything down like a week before the natty.

I have the O/U on Brennan TDs at 30 (if a full season is played). 35 is what I'm guessing as well.

I don't think you're giving Brady enough credit though. Brady taught Ensminger and the team the Saints scheme, concepts, and nuances. It's not a system Ensminger had ever played in or called. At the same time, though, Ensminger was the one calling most of the plays, and its clear that he understands it enough to keep it going masterfully. My bigger question for LSU this year is how well teams adapt with a year to study, but with all of LSU's offensive athleticism, only a few teams really have a shot.
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2020, 11:01 PM)LSU Tiger Wrote: Steelers/LSU fan here, coming in peace because I love Joe Burrow.

Best post I have ever seen from a Steeler fan. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 02:43 PM)LSU Tiger Wrote: You've met your match. I was actually fortunate to both be at the Peach Bowl and Natty this past year. I always joke how bitter I'd be for the rest of my life if COVID shut everything down like a week before the natty.

I have the O/U on Brennan TDs at 30 (if a full season is played). 35 is what I'm guessing as well.

I don't think you're giving Brady enough credit though. Brady taught Ensminger and the team the Saints scheme, concepts, and nuances. It's not a system Ensminger had ever played in or called. At the same time, though, Ensminger was the one calling most of the plays, and its clear that he understands it enough to keep it going masterfully. My bigger question for LSU this year is how well teams adapt with a year to study, but with all of LSU's offensive athleticism, only a few teams really have a shot.

Oh definitely; I'm not even close to being a top LSU watcher lol, but Andrew Whitworth is my favourite player ever so by proxy, I'm an LSU fan (and always have been), but I REALLY started watching the team a lot, in 2018 (I can't stand Les Miles, the spineless loser and he turned me off from watching the team {unless they were on CBS} for a good 3-4 years) and that UCF game put any doubt in my mind about Burrow. I wanted him in the 3rd round this year, until he went off lol.

And yes, Brady did add a lot of plays and nuance, but (I wrote a post like this earlier this week with the stats) the tide started to shift in terms of Run V Pass, in 2018, before he came in. The offense was significantly more-efficient in 2019 though, than it had been the previous 2 years and the numbers are staggering.

I think there will be a drop-off this year (if at the very least, because Myles isn't Joe), but the Tigers have gotten better at TE (even he is a FR, I expect Gilbert to be a beast for the next few years), basically are the same at OL (lost everyone, but the line is good-enough) and WR and RB hasn't gotten much worse. Another year to refine things and with Chase/Marshall being a bit more-seasoned, look out!
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2020, 03:33 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Oh definitely; I'm not even close to being a top LSU watcher lol, but Andrew Whitworth is my favourite player ever so by proxy, I'm an LSU fan (and always have been), but I REALLY started watching the team a lot, in 2018 (I can't stand Les Miles, the spineless loser and he turned me off from watching the team {unless they were on CBS} for a good 3-4 years) and that UCF game put any doubt in my mind about Burrow. I wanted him in the 3rd round this year, until he went off lol.

And yes, Brady did add a lot of plays and nuance, but (I wrote a post like this earlier this week with the stats) the tide started to shift in terms of Run V Pass, in 2018, before he came in. The offense was significantly more-efficient in 2019 though, than it had been the previous 2 years and the numbers are staggering.

I think there will be a drop-off this year (if at the very least, because Myles isn't Joe), but the Tigers have gotten better at TE (even he is a FR, I expect Gilbert to be a beast for the next few years), basically are the same at OL (lost everyone, but the line is good-enough) and WR and RB hasn't gotten much worse. Another year to refine things and with Chase/Marshall being a bit more-seasoned, look out!

A little birdie is telling me Chase may be a late opt-out. LSU has lost far too much to contend for a title again this year if true (it was already near insurmountable as is), but we'll be back next year. So much damn young talent.

Gilbert should be phenomenal. 
Reply/Quote