Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coach and New Expectations
Great comments. I am an old guy, so while I want to be patient to see us win, time is running out for me to see a winner.

I see some/most are giving the new guy a few years to win anything, that is reasonable.

I saw one suggesting we blow up the roster thus rebuild and take time.

Again great comments.

For me at least 9 wins in 2019

Playoff win minimum in 2020

Win it all by 2021

My hope is we don't have anther 7 win or less season for 4th year in a row.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
As long as Mike Brown is the owner my expectations are in the toilet.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 07:31 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Great comments. I am an old guy, so while I want to be patient to see us win, time is running out for me to see a winner.

I see some/most are giving the new guy a few years to win anything, that is reasonable.

I saw one suggesting we blow up the roster thus rebuild and take time.

Again great comments.

For me at least 9 wins in 2019

Playoff win minimum in 2020

Win it all by 2021

My hope is we don't have anther 7 win or less season for 4th year in a row.

I get what you're saying about being an old guy and running out of time to see a winner. I just turned 68. And while I know I still have lots of time to watch our Bengals (as long as I stay healthy) I don't want to wait too long. How old are you Luv, if you don't mind my asking?
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 07:45 PM)BengalRed Wrote: I get what you're saying about being an old guy and running out of time to see a winner. I just turned 68. And while I know I still have lots of time to watch our Bengals (as long as I stay healthy) I don't want to wait too long. How old are you Luv, if you don't mind my asking?

I am 62, but with a family history of men gone by...62

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 07:49 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am 62, but with a family history of men gone by...62
Ouch. Here's hoping you buck the trend.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hear a lot of hyped fans for the Bengals future, a lot of renewed hope the change will end in great results. All fans hope for great things, but our individual expectations likely vary.

What are your expectations for a new coach and new coaching staff who is inheriting 2 HOF players in Green and Geno. They also have a veteran QB who is solid and cap friendly.

So, one year from today, what record and or results makes you happy?

2 years from now?

3 years from now?

I am just hoping for a chance to win a Playoff game, that wasn't going to happen under Marvin Lewis.

The chance is there now.

I think if we make some good moves in FA and have a decent Draft in a couple years we could be looking at a Playoff win.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 07:57 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am just hoping for a chance to win a Playoff game, that wasn't going to happen under Marvin Lewis.

The chance is there now.

I think if we make some good moves in FA and have a decent Draft in a couple years we could be looking at a Playoff win.

Hope seems to be the #1 answer overall

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hear a lot of hyped fans for the Bengals future, a lot of renewed hope the change will end in great results. All fans hope for great things, but our individual expectations likely vary. I expect coaches to make game plans based on the skills of the players.

What are your expectations for a new coach and new coaching staff who is inheriting 2 HOF players in Green and Geno. They also have a veteran QB who is solid and cap friendly.

2 years from now?

3 years from now?

I expect him to be able to manage the clock and make halftime adjustments.  I expect the best player to play, and this favoritism of veterans to stop.  I hope for some emotion and the ability to fire players up.  
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 08:27 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote:  I expect him to be able to manage the clock and make halftime adjustments.  I expect the best player to play, and this favoritism of veterans to stop.  I hope for some emotion and the ability to fire players up.  

Just to clarify, you don't care if they lose if the above is accomplished.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 08:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Hope seems to be the #1 answer overall

Gotta have hope, i only had false hope with Marv as our HC.

(01-12-2019, 08:27 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote:  I expect him to be able to manage the clock and make halftime adjustments.  I expect the best player to play, and this favoritism of veterans to stop.  I hope for some emotion and the ability to fire players up.  

Yeah, sure would be nice to have some of that journalistic jargon round here.

Yah know, adjustments.

Marv was like a snail, not really the motivating type. One thing i have to keep saying that could be the big change that not many are talking about is Marv has always stuck his nose into the Offense and the OC's business where it didn't belong. It is not a coincidence that all of our OC's were the same when it came to closing out halves and games where they either didn't do what was working or played it safe. Let alone our poor 2nd half performances on Offense.

Have to step on teams throats, i do expect this to happen now maybe under Zac Taylor.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 08:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gotta have hope, i only had false hope with Marv as our HC.

Yeah, sure would be nice to have some of that journalistic jargon round here.

Yah know, adjustments.

Marv was like a snail, not really the motivating type. One thing i have to keep saying that could be the big change that not many are talking about is Marv has always stuck his nose into the Offense and the OC's business where it didn't belong. It is not a coincidence that all of our OC's were the same when it came to closing out halves and games where they either didn't do what was working or played it safe. Let alone our poor 2nd half performances on Offense.

Have to step on teams throats, i do expect this to happen now maybe under Zac Taylor.

There are many opinions are the right way to close out a half, aggressive/not aggressive.

I do hate prevent defenses at end of half or games. I also agree ML was a softy putting hos foot on the throat of a team we had down 20+ points while others like BB, MT will be throwing 50 yard bombs up 30 points. We ran the ball 3 teams with our back up QB on the field???

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 08:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: There are many opinions are the right way to close out a half, aggressive/not aggressive.

I do hate prevent defenses at end of half or games. I also agree ML was a softy putting hos foot on the throat of a team we had down 20+ points while others like BB, MT will be throwing 50 yard bombs up 30 points. We ran the ball 3 teams with our back up QB on the field???

No doubt, so many instances that we cannot even mention. Fred can come in here and argue how many times we threw it or what not but in the end you do what works and you have to be creative. It is not all about passing or running but being unpredictable and innovative in the way you play the game on both sides of the ball, not just Offense, Defense too.

I still remember that game against Peyton and the Broncos back in the day where Paulie G was disguising coverages and dropping LB'ers while blitzing others and it confused the smartest QB in all of football and we never seen that Defense again. These things are very frustrating, just do what works when it is working and when it is not, try something else, but always adapt. We might adapt now with Taylor.

One of my main expectations is for us to start to adapt and eventually once everything comes together we will have that shot at a title.
Reply/Quote
We've been on the outside looking in for so long now, so as weak/sad as it may sound, I just want a playoff win. I can't see beyond that point, and I care little else about what transpires before that. Just one damn win to break the curse. Then we go from there.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 02:25 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hear a lot of hyped fans for the Bengals future, a lot of renewed hope the change will end in great results. All fans hope for great things, but our individual expectations likely vary.

2 years from now?

3 years from now?
We won 6 games with a injury riddled team and lost to Steelers in last min in both games, took ravens to wire for almost sweep, we can compete for title and make playoffs 
Reply/Quote
I think 9 wins is asking a lot of a team that is not very good and will be adjusting to new coaching/systems. I just want to see them play with urgency, be competitive, and continue making the type of moves that will make them a true contender in the hopefully near future.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 09:41 PM)HuDey Wrote: I think 9 wins is asking a lot of a team that is not very good and will be adjusting to new coaching/systems. I just want to see them play with urgency, be competitive, and continue making the type of moves that will make them a true contender in the hopefully near future.

I don't think its asking too much. We have a good mix of veterans who are accustomed to winning and great young talent. We are more than one piece away but with some improvement on the line and LBs I think we can be competitive for the playoffs again, barring significant injuries. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 09:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: We won 6 games with a injury riddled team and lost to Steelers in last min in both games, took ravens to wire for almost sweep, we can compete for title and make playoffs 

That is what is nice, now we know if we make the Playoffs we got a shot.

(01-12-2019, 09:41 PM)HuDey Wrote: I think 9 wins is asking a lot of a team that is not very good and will be adjusting to new coaching/systems. I just want to see them play with urgency, be competitive, and continue making the type of moves that will make them a true contender in the hopefully near future.

I expect around 9 wins in the first year under Taylor if we are not injury riddled.

We don't know if we are a good team or not right now, we could be if everyone comes together, yah never know. Marv hampered this team with his poor in game adjustments if he even made them, poor in game management and messing with the Offense. We will see what Taylor brings to the table in these areas and i bet it is better as it couldn't be much worse.

I just want to see who our new DC and Defensive coaches are, namely the new LB coach.

Haslett was downright horrible since he got here and i am so happy he is gone.
Reply/Quote
I don't want to put any expectations on a coach without seeing what the roster is like after the draft but I don't see any reason why my expectations should not be high aslong as we make the proper tweeks to the roster ( cough LB and RT). I hope for at least a playoff win next year.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2019, 09:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is what is nice, now we know if we make the Playoffs we got a shot.

I expect around 9 wins in the first year under Taylor if we are not injury riddled.

We don't know if we are a good team or not right now, we could be if everyone comes together, yah never know. Marv hampered this team with his poor in game adjustments if he even made them, poor in game management and messing with the Offense. We will see what Taylor brings to the table in these areas and i bet it is better as it couldn't be much worse.

I just want to see who our new DC and Defensive coaches are, namely the new LB coach.

Haslett was downright horrible since he got here and i am so happy he is gone.

Actually stay healthy and home field advantage is more important in playoffs than coaching, 
Reply/Quote
I think this is a rebuild (or should be). If that is the case, the playoffs are not a realistic goal in year one. If this is a reload around the current core, the playoffs are not a realistic goal.
Reply/Quote