Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coaches generally like to draft a QB...
(12-31-2018, 02:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: There are a lot of teams in the playoffs with QB's on rookie deals. IF you can have a cheap QB play well...that really helps the salary structure in investing the money elsewhere.

True, what do Chicago, Baltimore, Houston, and Rams have in common? QBs on rookie deals and top 10 defenses (technically Baltimore has Flacco but he's not starting). The Bengals are a long way from a top 10 defense. Unless we go through a couple years of rebuilding the defense and getting a good DC, I feel a rookie QB will be wasted at this point.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:39 PM)Jojo the Circus Boy Wrote: True, what do Chicago, Baltimore, Houston, and Rams have in common? QBs on rookie deals and top 10 defenses (technically Baltimore has Flacco but he's not starting). The Bengals are a long way from a top 10 defense. Unless we go through a couple years of rebuilding the defense and getting a good DC, I feel a rookie QB will be wasted at this point.

Wait on the dude from Clemson and fix the lines and LBers first.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:39 PM)Jojo the Circus Boy Wrote: True, what do Chicago, Baltimore, Houston, and Rams have in common? QBs on rookie deals and top 10 defenses (technically Baltimore has Flacco but he's not starting). The Bengals are a long way from a top 10 defense. Unless we go through a couple years of rebuilding the defense and getting a good DC, I feel a rookie QB will be wasted at this point.

IN the games Marvin was DC, our defense was 6th in the NFL

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote

The problem with a 2-3 year rebuild...is Atkins and Green will be 32-33 by the time it's done.

IF we decide to rebuild, we have to consider trading atleast some of our quality veterans for picks.

A guy like Dunlap is really solid, but doesn't really move the needle much on a mediocre team.

I keep Geno though as he's HOF quality.
Reply/Quote
Not sure how I feel about this. I see positives and negatives to moving on from Dalton. On one hand, it'd be very nice to see a totally fresh start. On the other hand, Dalton could provide some stability for a year or two, and it'd be nice to see him with a brilliant offensive mind for a change.

It doesn't sound like this is a great QB class, but seeing how we're picking 11th, we might be able to get one of the top 2 QB's if we elect to go that route. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The problem with a 2-3 year rebuild...is Atkins and Green will be 32-33 by the time it's done.

IF we decide to rebuild, we have to consider trading atleast some of our quality veterans for picks.

A guy like Dunlap is really solid, but doesn't really move the needle much on a mediocre team.

I keep Geno though as he's HOF quality.

Dunlap would be the guy to trade. He's the youngest and means the least in the grand scheme of things. 

Like you said, Atkins is HOF worthy. Also, I think the players would revolt if Green were traded. That said, I think Green would revolt if Dalton were cut. People underestimate how close those 2 are.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure how I feel about this. I see positives and negatives to moving on from Dalton. On one hand, it'd be very nice to see a totally fresh start. On the other hand, Dalton could provide some stability for a year or two, and it'd be nice to see him with a brilliant offensive mind for a change.

It doesn't sound like this is a great QB class, but seeing how we're picking 11th, we might be able to get one of the top 2 QB's if we elect to go that route. 

Giants, Jags, and Broncos all ahead of us and all need a QB 

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure how I feel about this. I see positives and negatives to moving on from Dalton. On one hand, it'd be very nice to see a totally fresh start. On the other hand, Dalton could provide some stability for a year or two, and it'd be nice to see him with a brilliant offensive mind for a change.

I think there's to many holes to be jumping on a rookie QB unless we're going nuclear with entire new staff and team.
Reply/Quote
Build the team (trenches) and then plug in the future qb. This is a weak qb draft. Not the year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Think a new coach will want to take a QB at 11? There should be some there. Potentially Haskins and we know how much the Bengals like OSU guys.

I know we need Offensive Line and LB and that QB wasn't a major problem, so I see it as not initially improving the team. Also, I know that most drafted QB's don't pan out.

But, I think there's a chance we go QB and rebuild depending on who the coach is.

first things first...

Lets find a coach...

Then see who he brings on as assistants.... And based on what we know of them we can start to speculate what will happen in Free agency.

Which if we do decide to go after QB we probly deal our current one away.

So probly should wait on these predicitions.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:26 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Give Dalton another year under a new head coach and test the waters next year.  2020 is looking like a better QB class.

IDK, folks said the exact same thing the year Tribisky came out.

Don't waste picks on folks like Tribisky, Mahomes, and Watson

Wait until next year and get one of the Rosen, Darnold, or Allen studs. 

WTS, I have no problem sticking with Andy unless we can get a first Rd pick for him. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
OL and LB have to be fixed first. Then TE then you can start thinking about optional items.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Wait on the dude from Clemson and fix the lines and LBers first.

If Lawrence keeps playing the way he has been, he's likely a top 10 pick.  So that'd require us to have another shitty season or two (isn't he a freshman?).
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 03:01 PM)pally Wrote: Giants, Jags, and Broncos all ahead of us and all need a QB 

I would think Bucs need a QB also.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 03:36 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK, folks said the exact same thing the year Tribisky came out.

Don't waste picks on folks like Tribisky, Mahomes, and Watson

Wait until next year and get one of the Rosen, Darnold, or Allen studs. 

WTS, I have no problem sticking with Andy unless we can get a first Rd pick for him. 

I hear ya, but people also probably said the EJ Manuel/Geno Smith draft was crap, too.  I will say every year people claim they won't reach for a QB until they start reaching for QBs.  
Reply/Quote

With a system like KC and LA run, Dalton would be more than adequate. It's hard to dispute that he's much better in a faster tempo as well. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 03:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I hear ya, but people also probably said the EJ Manuel/Geno Smith draft was crap, too.  I will say every year people claim they won't reach for a QB until they start reaching for QBs.  

As I said: I have 0 problem rolling with Andy; however, those stating we must go oline in the first have not reviewed the draft class. If you think it's a poor year for QB, just take a look at Oline. 

There should be value at LB/DT 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 03:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: I have 0 problem rolling with Andy; however, those stating we must go oline in the first have not reviewed the draft class. If you think it's a poor year for QB, just take a look at Oline. 

There should be value at LB/DT 

Well the main point you made is that people were fine passing on 3 QBs who are in the playoffs now because the draft after them was going to be better, so that's something to keep in mind.  The 2017 QB class wasn't as good as what was coming down the pipe, yet the top 3 QBs from that class are currently leading some tip top teams.  Wacky.

I honestly haven't thought at all about this upcoming draft class (I know zilch about college football, so I never do until it comes time to talk the draft).  I'd wager one of them taken in the top 3 round behind Dalton for a year could be a logical move.  I don't even mind taking one in the 1st, but again...I'm just spitballing here.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 03:01 PM)pally Wrote: Giants, Jags, and Broncos all ahead of us and all need a QB 

Hard telling how it all plays out. Those teams all needed a QB last year and went elsewhere.

(12-31-2018, 03:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I think there's to many holes to be jumping on a rookie QB unless we're going nuclear with entire new staff and team.

Fair point. Definitely need to fix the o-line, but we could (theoretically) do so via free agency. We don't need as much as we did last year.

(12-31-2018, 03:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: With a system like KC and LA run, Dalton would be more than adequate. It's hard to dispute that he's much better in a faster tempo as well. 

Shoot, I think Dalton would be a perfect replacement for Drew Brees. Not saying he'd play at that level (who does?) but I could see Dalton playing much better under a Sean Payton. Whether we keep Andy or not, it'd be nice to see him play for an offensive minded coach.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 03:42 PM)Big Boss Wrote: If Lawrence keeps playing the way he has been, he's likely a top 10 pick.  So that'd require us to have another shitty season or two (isn't he a freshman?).

Trade up ?

I'm asking for a lot I know
Reply/Quote