Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coaches generally like to draft a QB...
(12-31-2018, 02:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think we make Hue the HC and he rings up Carson Palmer, Cody Kessler, and RGIII.

What's Deshon Kizer up to?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:48 PM)SladeX Wrote: I'm curious to see how AD does now that the Albatross is history.

Same here.

(12-31-2018, 06:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd draft a QB and still start Dalton this year.

I agree. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:59 PM)jason Wrote: What's Deshon Kizer up to?

Yesterday, I believe, he was pooping all over the field in a Packer uniform.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 07:02 PM)McC Wrote: Yesterday, I believe, he was pooping all over the field in a Packer uniform.

Dear God... I didn't watch a single game yesterday, but I saw that score come across.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:51 PM)McC Wrote: Too much of Marvin's core philosophy always seemed to be line up and beat your man and don't worry about trying to confuse the opponent, which is what today's league is built on.

(12-31-2018, 04:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right, it's bullrush em, out perform em or die. Little regard for tailoring to players strengths, game plans to exploit opponents weakness, taking their strength away and so on. 

Lineup and out execute em. Or we'll get guys that can, no disguise, no motion, no trickery.

I remember just a few years ago everyone was complaining about Hue being "too cute" with all his different formations and multiple motions.  

"We need to forget all this complicated stuff.  To be a good team you have to line up and beat teams instead of trying to trick them".
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:43 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I think they can compete next season for the playoffs for sure. They need to have good coordinators, and will have to go out and spend money and/or make trades for the o-line and linebackers, but mainly the o-line. But if they stick to their ole rusty guns in going cheap in free agency and sticking with the draft, then it will be tough imo. edit: One last thing, also have to have a ton more luck in avoiding injuries.

Yeah, they have weapons and can make the playoffs, but I don’t think they have the depth to really make a run. By that time your core guys are climbing 30s. Just want to see them have a good strategy to win the SB, not just be a playoff team. They’re flirting with Father Time somewhat so they have to get it right very soon or sell high and build a winner two or three years from now.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
DeShawn Watson was sacked 62 times this year while posting a passer rating of 103.1. Do we think Texan's fans would have rather went with the top Olineman (Garret Bolles) on the board?

Either yo need a QB or you don't. Stop all the "well the trenches" BS. Tyrod Taylor had the same trenches as Baker Mayfield. Lamar Jackson had the same trenches as Flacco
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: DeShawn Watson was sacked 62 times this year while posting a passer rating of 103.1. Do we think Texan's fans would have rather went with the top Olineman (Garret Bolles) on the board?

Either yo need a QB or you don't. Stop all the "well the trenches" BS. Tyrod Taylor had the same trenches as Baker Mayfield. Lamar Jackson had the same trenches as Flacco

That's all true, but there isn't one of those kind of guys in this draft.

Mayfield was better because anyone is better than Tyrod.  Lamar did what he did because of his legs, obviously and that Edwards dude, who is a good runner, found lots of running lanes because of defenses being so wary of Jackson.  Flacco didn't present that threat, so defenses played them differently.

And I'm pretty sure the Texans would really love to see Watson not get sacked 62 times.

If it's a special player, you take the QB.  If he's a maybe, maybe not, and you are way more than a QB away, why risk it?  The key is to be open to taking a QB but not be married to the idea.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
The upcoming draft is not loaded with QB talent. They should not force a QB pick.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:40 PM)Synric Wrote: The upcoming draft is not loaded with QB talent. They should not force a QB pick.

Nor is it loaded with oline talent, but many feel that is what we must do. 

Personally I think the value is at DT. Perhaps take Baker Mayfield Trace McSorley later in the draft. 

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:17 PM)Deanlj69 Wrote: I think 1 year max. This March his contract allows for a release with no cap implications. He is not well thought of outside Cincinnati

Yes he is, if released he will be a starting QB on another team
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nor is it loaded with oline talent, but many feel that is what we must do. 

Personally I think the value is at DT. Perhaps take Baker Mayfield Trace McSorley later in the draft. 

The defensive line value is there and I wouldn't hate the pick. Top picks like 11 is about finding a difference maker and less filling a hole.  

...I like Cody Ford at right tackle in the second round.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Think a new coach will want to take a QB at 11? There should be some there. Potentially Haskins and we know how much the Bengals like OSU guys.

I know we need Offensive Line and LB and that QB wasn't a major problem, so I see it as not initially improving the team. Also, I know that most drafted QB's don't pan out.

But, I think there's a chance we go QB and rebuild depending on who the coach is.

We have bigger problems than QB, this is a weak QB draft on top of that.

Until we rebuild the O-line we could have Joe Montana back there and it won't make much difference

Im all for rebuilding the line and Linebackers in this draft then looking to 2020 and a new QB
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 03:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: I have 0 problem rolling with Andy; however, those stating we must go oline in the first have not reviewed the draft class. If you think it's a poor year for QB, just take a look at Oline. 

There should be value at LB/DT 

it is thin but we are in play for top two tackles I think, might move up and get Williams from Alabama, Middle backer is thin after a couple top players go probably in top 10, with teams maybe reaching for QBs, maybe Williams will slide to 11.  I think we go after Foster from Steelers if he is not resigned with draft being weak on tackles. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:53 PM)corpjet Wrote: We have bigger problems than QB, this is a weak QB draft on top of that.

Until we rebuild the O-line we could have Joe Montana back there and it won't make much difference

Im all for rebuilding the line and Linebackers in this draft then looking to 2020 and a new QB
How would DeShawn Watson do behind our line?

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 10:53 PM)corpjet Wrote: We have bigger problems than QB, this is a weak QB draft on top of that.

Our Oline was bad. But it wasn't historically bad.

Joe Montana would have done fine behind that line.

And, if we draft a new QB this April, he'll do fine behind what we have (plus some additions in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds) as well.

QB is the hardest position to fill in the NFL.

If there's one worth taking at 11, you do it.

That's just how the NFL works now.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:13 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Our Oline was bad. But it wasn't historically bad.

Joe Montana would have done fine behind that line.

And, if we draft a new QB this April, he'll do fine behind what we have (plus some additions in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds) as well.

QB is the hardest position to fill in the NFL.

If there's one worth taking at 11, you do it.

That's just how the NFL works now.

There absolutely will be one at 11...but odds of developing him into an elite QB are probably like 25%.

You take the best OT at 11 and you're probably looking at 40% odds he becomes elite and maybe 65% Good. And 75% he becomes average. And he probably plays and helps us next year.

Which route do you go?

I think taking a QB signals rebuilding.

I'm not totally against it. It depends on what the overall plan is.
Reply/Quote
I go with offensive line early in the draft and also with Marvin gone hopefully we get an offensive coach who actually devises a scheme that compliments our personnel - far too often we seem to run plays designed for no one in particular. Mixon for example constantly had run plays with no lead blocker and a line that just did not hold blocks or give him holes with any consistency. How about a real lead blocker? How about giving him enough carries to get into grooves?
Reply/Quote
The quickest path to winning seems to be developing a good offensive line and then use Mixon running the ball and catching it couple with deep throws to Green and Boyd in the slot. Those things take a good line...so I agree with you Joe.

I'd love to see us use 4-5 WR's at times too with Mixon spread out as a WR. The Steelers do this a lot and it's a great look.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 11:08 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How would DeShawn Watson do behind our line?

We can't get DeShawn Watson.

QB is not a big need for this team.  that is why we will not take one in the first round.  Guys like Watson are RARE.

Of the 25 QBs drafted in the first round since we took dalton in 2011 only FIVE have a better career passer rating than Dalton.  Almost half (11 of 25) have a career passer rating in the 60's or 70's.
Reply/Quote