Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Coaches generally like to draft a QB...
(12-31-2018, 04:20 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hard telling how it all plays out. Those teams all needed a QB last year and went elsewhere.

Fair point. Definitely need to fix the o-line, but we could (theoretically) do so via free agency. We don't need as much as we did last year.

Shoot, I think Dalton would be a perfect replacement for Drew Brees. Not saying he'd play at that level (who does?) but I could see Dalton playing much better under a Sean Payton. Whether we keep Andy or not, it'd be nice to see him play for an offensive minded coach.

I believe this has been a major part of the problem not just for Dalton but all our players. What would Mixon be this season on the Rams, Saints, Chiefs, Bears, and others ?

What would Ross do ? Am I saying he's Tyreek Hill in the making ? NO But I can't help but wonder what a more competent coaching staff could do with a lot of guys we have.

Marv says lineup and run wing right 24 left on 2, do it or die with little regard for anything else.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe this has been a major part of the problem not just for Dalton but all our players. What would Mixon be this season on the Rams, Saints, Chiefs, Bears, and others ?

What would Ross do ? Am I saying he's Tyreek Hill in the making ? NO But I can't help but wonder what a more competent coaching staff could do with a lot of guys we have.

Marv says lineup and run wing right 24 left on 2, do it or die with little regard for anything else.

Too much of Marvin's core philosophy always seemed to be line up and beat your man and don't worry about trying to confuse the opponent, which is what today's league is built on.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:51 PM)McC Wrote: Too much of Marvin's core philosophy always seemed to be line up and beat your man and don't worry about trying to confuse the opponent, which is what today's league is built on.

Right, it's bullrush em, out perform em or die. Little regard for tailoring to players strengths, game plans to exploit opponents weakness, taking their strength away and so on. 

Lineup and out execute em. Or we'll get guys that can, no disguise, no motion, no trickery.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right, it's bullrush em, out perform em or die. Little regard for tailoring to players strengths, game plans to exploit opponents weakness, taking their strength away and so on. 

Lineup and out execute em. Or we'll get guys that can, no disguise, no motion, no trickery.

That's where all the we just have to play better crap comes from.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:57 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right, it's bullrush em, out perform em or die. Little regard for tailoring to players strengths, game plans to exploit opponents weakness, taking their strength away and so on. 

The problem is they didn't replace guys that didn't execute quickly enough.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Think a new coach will want to take a QB at 11? There should be some there. Potentially Haskins and we know how much the Bengals like OSU guys.

I know we need Offensive Line and LB and that QB wasn't a major problem, so I see it as not initially improving the team. Also, I know that most drafted QB's don't pan out.

But, I think there's a chance we go QB and rebuild depending on who the coach is.

We don't like OSU guys Pistons, the last draft was the first time we got a few that i can remember.

Price and Hubbard, think we have avoided OSU guys too much myself.

I wouldn't take a QB at 11 unless we got a couple good Lineman in FA. Linebacker and the trenches need to be
addressed or it won't matter. That is unless Pollack can do the near impossible and coach up this soggy shit
sandwich he has to work with.

But if we did grab a couple Lineman and a good Linebacker in FA i would be for this, just doubt we do it.

Herbert sure looks like a talent, not sure if Haskins is that guy, could be i just don't know.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe this has been a major part of the problem not just for Dalton but all our players. What would Mixon be this season on the Rams, Saints, Chiefs, Bears, and others ?

(12-31-2018, 04:51 PM)McC Wrote: Too much of Marvin's core philosophy always seemed to be line up and beat your man and don't worry about trying to confuse the opponent, which is what today's league is built on.

(12-31-2018, 05:05 PM)McC Wrote: That's where all the we just have to play better crap comes from.

Man, i am just happy right now. This form of coaching just has no chance in the NFL of today. Rock On

Now lets get someone innovative and aggressive with some of that "journalistic jargon" yah know. Mellow
Reply/Quote

Yeah, well we know who confused who, don't we??   LMAO
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Think a new coach will want to take a QB at 11? There should be some there. Potentially Haskins and we know how much the Bengals like OSU guys.

I know we need Offensive Line and LB and that QB wasn't a major problem, so I see it as not initially improving the team. Also, I know that most drafted QB's don't pan out.

But, I think there's a chance we go QB and rebuild depending on who the coach is.

I'm all set to watch Haskins in The ROSE BOWL on New Years Day.  We actually have Big 10 Champ playing Pac 10 Champ as it should be.  

I think Haskins is going to be a great NFL QB.  Not just good, but great.  Super Bowls and Pro Bowls career.  I like Dalton, but Haskins might play at a higher level.  

Not sure new coach will draft QB.  Not sure Mike Brown will let new coach have a say in any draft picks. Mike Brown such a control freak and why in past top coaches never considered coming to Bengals under Mike. I'm hoping no Hue, and new coach allowed to have power to fix the Bengals sliding back into Bungles.  I'm hoping player moves to start winning again , be it Dalton or a new QB. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
A new coach would be an idiot to not want Dalton to be his QB next year. There will be no quarterback, free agent or rookie, that would be an upgrade for next season. This coming from someone that has been critical of Dalton, at least more critical than Dalton's fanboys (no offense).

But before even thinking of a new QB, they have to go out and spend money to get a legit tackle and guard for the right side. Right side of the line is first priority above all else, then look at LT as well maybe through draft again. Regardless, o-line is top priority for next year, then basically 2 to 3 new linebackers as well for that giant hole.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
You get most bang for your buck with a fresh face at QB, but the risk is much higher. But what are we risking? I don’t think this team is ready to compete for a few years, but maybe they can catch lightning In a bottle. I’m fine with either scenario, but the HC they choose might be pretty telling.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:35 PM)kevin Wrote: I'm all set to watch Haskins in The ROSE BOWL on New Years Day.  We actually have Big 10 Champ playing Pac 10 Champ as it should be.  

I think Haskins is going to be a great NFL QB.  Not just good, but great.  Super Bowls and Pro Bowls career.  I like Dalton, but Haskins might play at a higher level.  

Not sure new coach will draft QB.  Not sure Mike Brown will let new coach have a say in any draft picks. Mike Brown such a control freak and why in past top coaches never considered coming to Bengals under Mike. I'm hoping no Hue, and new coach allowed to have power to fix the Bengals sliding back into Bungles.  I'm hoping player moves to start winning again , be it Dalton or a new QB. 

Haskins has the arm for the NFL, but the mobility of a Ben or Rivers. Only time will tell, but it will come down to his decision making in regards to the defenses thrown at him, which is usually the thing that breaks a good college qb in the pros.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:38 PM)Millhouse Wrote: A new coach would be an idiot to not want Dalton to be his QB next year. There will be no quarterback, free agent or rookie, that would be an upgrade for next season. This coming from someone that has been critical of Dalton, at least more critical than Dalton's fanboys (no offense).

But before even thinking of a new QB, they have to go out and spend money to get a legit tackle and guard for the right side. Right side of the line is first priority above all else, then look at LT as well maybe through draft again.  Regardless, o-line is top priority for next year, then basically 2 to 3 new linebackers as well for that giant hole.

The Chiefs had Alex Smith and drafted Mahomes. Basically same situation as we were in.

That said, they have a better all-around roster than us.

There's plays where Dalton scrambled and threw it out of bounds. Mahomes may have threw a TD on the same play.
Reply/Quote
I also put LB above line. By a good margin to. Our LB core is worse off than the line.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:40 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: You get most bang for your buck with a fresh face at QB, but the risk is much higher. But what are we risking? I don’t think this team is ready to compete for a few years, but maybe they can catch lightning In a bottle. I’m fine with either scenario, but the HC they choose might be pretty telling.

I think they can compete next season for the playoffs for sure. They need to have good coordinators, and will have to go out and spend money and/or make trades for the o-line and linebackers, but mainly the o-line. But if they stick to their ole rusty guns in going cheap in free agency and sticking with the draft, then it will be tough imo. edit: One last thing, also have to have a ton more luck in avoiding injuries.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:38 PM)Millhouse Wrote: A new coach would be an idiot to not want Dalton to be his QB next year. There will be no quarterback, free agent or rookie, that would be an upgrade for next season. This coming from someone that has been critical of Dalton, at least more critical than Dalton's fanboys (no offense).

But before even thinking of a new QB, they have to go out and spend money to get a legit tackle and guard for the right side. Right side of the line is first priority above all else, then look at LT as well maybe through draft again.  Regardless, o-line is top priority for next year, then basically 2 to 3 new linebackers as well for that giant hole.

I agree on all accounts Millhouse. :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Chiefs had Alex Smith and drafted Mahomes. Basically same situation as we were in.

That said, they have a better all-around roster than us.

There's plays where Dalton scrambled and threw it out of bounds. Mahomes may have threw a TD on the same play.

I have no issue drafting a QB, especially if there is a Mahomes in this draft. I am just talking about the 2019 season though in regards to those saying to get rid of Andy as well.

Reply/Quote
I'm curious to see how AD does now that the Albatross is history.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 06:46 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I have no issue drafting a QB, especially if there is a Mahomes in this draft. I am just talking about the 2019 season though in regards to those saying to get rid of Andy as well.

I'd draft a QB and still start Dalton this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 02:37 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Daniel Jones from Duke looks really good.  Solid all around quarterback.   He will be picked top 10 this draft.

I agree that Jones does look the part. I could see him and Haskins being top 10 picks. The Bengals have enough positions to fill, that they should just pick best available player. Dalton can play next year and new Coach can work on other areas. 2020 draft will have more QB options. 
Reply/Quote