Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New DC frontrunner?
(02-20-2019, 05:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You know, Taylor and a staff of inexperienced coaches with mediocre track records wasn't the ONLY option to get rid of Marvin...

So you wanted rid of Marvin but only if they got the coaches you wanted? You haven't even given the new coaches a chance to fail. You are calling people Homer optimists because we would actually like to see what happens before we jump on the everyone sucks wagon.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 05:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good thing he had a DC who would go into the Hall of Fame for his coaching ability.

It's interesting when you go back and look at the Bengals under Sam, especially when it comes to the DC talk.

Sam gave LeBeau his first shot at DC and they were together for all 8 years. During that time, Lebeau's defenses ranked 15th or lower 6 times...while the offense ranked 5th or higher 6 times. The offense under Wyche carried those teams, while the defenses usually did just enough to hold their own. 

I could envision something similar with this regime...with an offense that puts up yards and points, and a defense that is at least good enough to keep them in games.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 05:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good thing he had a DC who would go into the Hall of Fame for his coaching ability.

Right, because Sam went to the SB on the strength of the defense.  SMH.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 05:40 PM)Synric Wrote: So you wanted rid of Marvin but only if they got the coaches you wanted? You haven't even given the new coaches a chance to fail. You are calling people Homer optimists because we would actually like to see what happens before we jump on the everyone sucks wagon.

Is this where we have gotten to?  Is it our world now where optimist is a dirty word?  Jebus, go on and take me now.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Found this on CincyJungle about Anarumo's stint as Interim DC in Miami. Take what you want from it.

Quote:Anarumo, In his first game as defensive coordinator, the defense registered six sacks, forced four turnovers and allowed just 10 points to the Tennessee Titans (Oct. 18, 2015). He previously spent eight seasons as the defensive backs coach at Purdue (2004-11).

12 game stat Highlights

Rushing defense improved from 160.5 per game to 108.9 per game (with 6 games holding the opponent to less than 100
Sacks improved from 0.25 to 2.3 per game
Passing yards given up per game went from 239 to 243 per game
Interceptions improved from .73 per game to .83
So aside from YPG increasing by 4, it seems like Miami's defense responded better after he replaced Coyle. Much like our defense improved after Austin got fired. And if I remember correctly, the Dolphins had a lot of injuries that year. They had a few stinkers like giving up 30+ to the Pats, Bills, Jets, and Giants but generally, their defense improved by a decent margin. I don't think he would be a bad hire but then again, I'm going off this small sample. I still believe if the Bengals don't significantly upgrade the LBs (not just drafting Devin White, but investing money in FA), it won't matter who we hire cause teams will just attack the middle of the field again. If we do upgrade LBs, who knows how this guy could do with his own system.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 02:35 PM)Synric Wrote: Easy with position position coaches you look at the players they drafted and coached up. 

Aubrey Pleasants has been able to coach a group of veterans in his 2 years though they all played at a high level. Lou Anarumo has a couple names like Xavier Howard and really turning Rashad Jones into that great safety but outside of those guys the rest has been mediocre.

As defensive coordinators neither one of these guys look good but if you're going by resume experience wins... especially since Lou Anarumo has actual experience setting up run fits as an interm DC.

So yes Anamuro resume is easily better and by how Aubrey Pleasants named dropped off after the Bengals interviewed him apparently he wasnt that impressive.

Lol okay man. When you said "resume" what you were really talking about was 1 pro bowler Anarumo supposedly developed in his 7 years as a DB coach (Xavier Howard made his first pro bowl after Anarumo left) - and his experience as an interim DC, when Miami actually got worse under him? 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 04:00 PM)McC Wrote: This is the question that haunts us all.

But fear not.  The payoff is coming.

Definitely would be nice. ?

(02-20-2019, 04:10 PM)sandwedge Wrote: You're the one getting yourself all worked up over nothing. There is no guarantee that had we hired an experienced HC he would have succeeded. We pretty much had experienced DCs and OCs here before and how did that work out?

I absolutely agree. We needed someone with an offensive mind the way the game is going. Im happy with the reasoning by the FO in making the hire. I’m hopeful it’ll work out. But its also possible it doesnt. Zach has shown some signs of not knowing what he’s doing, but its also possible that he does and that he will be successful. Best not to think about it too much and just see what happens. See what these coaches can do and what kind of team they can put together—then evaluate later.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 07:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol okay man. When you said "resume" what you were really talking about was 1 pro bowler Anarumo supposedly developed in his 7 years as a DB coach (Xavier Howard made his first pro bowl after Anarumo left) - and his experience as an interim DC, when Miami actually got worse under him? 

Best way to find out about a potential new DC is simply ask the players he coached about him,they will give you all the true info you need because they know the guy better than anybody,so all you tweet pros get on it and post something on here about what a player has told you.I am waiting.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 07:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lol okay man. When you said "resume" what you were really talking about was 1 pro bowler Anarumo supposedly developed in his 7 years as a DB coach (Xavier Howard made his first pro bowl after Anarumo left) - and his experience as an interim DC, when Miami actually got worse under him? 

Except they didnt get worse under him they got better.

How is this even an arguement? Pleasants has 2 years...Two.... experience as a Corner coach he doesnt even coach the safeties.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 06:03 PM)McC Wrote: Right, because Sam went to the SB on the strength of the defense.  SMH.

Sam's offense struggled in the postseason.  In 4 games they averaged 251 yards and scored only 7 tds.

He was able to win 2 playoff games because LeBeau's defense held the Bills and Seahawks to 237.5 yards per game and a total of 2 tds.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 08:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sam's offense struggled in the postseason.  In 4 games they averaged 251 yards and scored only 7 tds.

He was able to win 2 playoff games because LeBeau's defense held the Bills and Seahawks to 237.5 yards per game and a total of 2 tds.

Do they get to 12-4 and home field advantage without the offense?  And Boomer had a bad shoulder for the playoffs in '88.  No one but you would ever suggest Le Beau carried that team.  And you're just arguing to argue.  I'm done with this.  Argue with yourself.

And one more time--Sam hired the DB coach to coordinate the defense.  So, either way, Sam is still behind it all, much as you hate him for some odd reason.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 05:36 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: You surely aren't referring to me as a homer. LOL 

What’s up Homie?

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 08:15 PM)Synric Wrote: Except they didnt get worse under him they got better.

How is this even an arguement? Pleasants has 2 years...Two.... experience as a Corner coach he doesnt even coach the safeties.

There's more to a resume than just experience. You came at me with that. I just responded. 

Pleasant only has 2 years of experience, but it's QUALITY experience. The same type of experience that got Zac Taylor named HC of our team.

This is classic quality vs quantity. Anarumo has 7 years where he's done practically nothing on bad teams.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 09:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There's more to a resume than just experience. You came at me with that. I just responded. 

Pleasant only has 2 years of experience, but it's QUALITY experience. The same type of experience that got Zac Taylor named HC of our team.

This is classic quality vs quantity. Anarumo has 7 years where he's done practically nothing on bad teams.

How many times have you argued against coaches under Belicheat saying just because they come from New England wont make them a good coach? Yet you are arguing 2 years under Wade Phillips is better than 7 years as a defensive backs coach and a internm DC position. Sorry you cant have it both ways.

Have to agree to disagree I guess shakes lol.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 10:11 PM)Synric Wrote: How many times have you argued against coaches under Belicheat saying just because they come from New England wont make them a good coach? Yet you are arguing 2 years under Wade Phillips is better than 7 years as a defensive backs coach and a internm DC position. Sorry you cant have it both ways.

Have to agree to disagree I guess shakes lol.

Lol Belichick's guys have a well-known bad track record. So just because I don't like Belichick's guys doesn't mean I'm a hypocrite if I like guys who were part of successful systems elsewhere. 

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4393007]

But yeah, agree to disagree.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
It's always hard to evaluate coordinators coming from New England because the Head Coach is possibly the greatest X-O coach in NFL history and actively involves himself in designing both the offense and defense. He was the one who trashed a couple of modern defenses by having his offense play old school Chicago Bears smash mouth football and also the one who made the Rams look like amateurs through brilliant defensive changes.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 08:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sam's offense struggled in the postseason.  In 4 games they averaged 251 yards and scored only 7 tds.

......and because we ran the ball down opponents' throats and kept the offenses off of the field.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 09:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: There's more to a resume than just experience. You came at me with that. I just responded. 

.....but the defense did improve under him at Miami.....the stats above show that.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Louie Amarosa's interview is today and I expect shortly thereafter we'll have an announcement that he's been hired. Even though I'm down here in Florida and I am going to do my level best to find true north and fart in the press conference's general direction.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2019, 10:00 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....but the defense did improve under him at Miami.....the stats above show that.

Sacks and turnovers up, a 26% reduction in rushing yards allowed, only an increase of 4 ypg allowed in passing.  Seems like an overall improvement, to me.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote