Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New DC frontrunner?
(02-20-2019, 03:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So he needs a great QB to succeed?

How about the Dolphins? He mentored Tannehill for what 4 years? Tannehill is close to being waived or traded now.
Maybe a decent QB.  That doesn't seem too outrageous.

You have obviously made up your mind about Zac Taylor.  You have created a narrative and now you're running around fitting everything into it. Fine by me.  Go on with it.  Maybe a dozen more threads are in order.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
My fear is that he doesnt work out and we hold on to him for too long and waste the talent that we have—slipping us back into the 90s. We need to figure this out now, before its too late. Give him a chance. I hope he nails it—on offense specifically. Then in the next year we can make a run. But if he puts out a lousy product on offense this year, i dont want to see us keep him around. I think this line of thinking is perfectly reasonable.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ughh.. why do i have to be a bengal fan?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 03:58 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Ughh.. why do i have to be a bengal fan?

This is the question that haunts us all.

But fear not.  The payoff is coming.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 03:58 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: Ughh.. why do i have to be a bengal fan?

You're the one getting yourself all worked up over nothing. There is no guarantee that had we hired an experienced HC he would have succeeded. We pretty much had experienced DCs and OCs here before and how did that work out?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 03:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: So he needs a great QB to succeed?

How about the Dolphins? He mentored Tannehill for what 4 years? Tannehill is close to being waived or traded now.

I think it's unfair to judge a position coach solely on the production of his players. I especially think it's unfair to judge a position coach for the production of an offense when he's not the coordinator. A QB coach probably has input on who the QB might be, but there are probably 3 people above him in the organization who have more control. So is Tom Brady's coach better than Joe Flacco's coach? My point is that there are so many other things a position coach does that it's hard for us to judge how good of a head coach he might make. 
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
I'd just like to remind the gawking rabble that I am fully on board with Zac Taylor. Love the hire.

His stock isn't going up any with this staff fiasco, but it's still on terra firma with me.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 04:33 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: I think it's unfair to judge a position coach solely on the production of his players. I especially think it's unfair to judge a position coach for the production of an offense when he's not the coordinator. A QB coach probably has input on who the QB might be, but there are probably 3 people above him in the organization who have more control. So is Tom Brady's coach better than Joe Flacco's coach? My point is that there are so many other things a position coach does that it's hard for us to judge how good of a head coach he might make. 

Let's just wait and see what happens, friends. 

Reply/Quote
2019 Bengals Slogan - "Let's Wait and See. Maybe We'll be Surprised?"
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 04:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 2019 Bengals Slogan - "Let's Wait and See. Maybe We'll be Surprised?"

So you preferred to stay with Marvin and his staff? You cant have it both ways you know.

I prefer the unknown....

...boldly going where no man has gone before. Lol
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
It's funny when you think about it.

No one in the world, save Syrian refugees and Sears employees, has more right to be negative a&&holes than Cincinnati Bengals fans.

But most of the time, it's not negativity. We're almost always right.

The accuracy % of the average Bengal fan who says "Yeah, this probably isn't going to work" is astronomically high.

We're right until we're proven wrong.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 04:54 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: It's funny when you think about it.

No one in the world, save Syrian refugees and Sears employees, has more right to be negative a&&holes than Cincinnati Bengals fans.

The accuracy % of the average Bengal fan who says "Yeah, this probably isn't going to work" is astronomically high.

Actually there was a high number of negative fans who were wrong many years when we made the playoffs.  Year after year they would predict that our luck had ran out and we would miss the postseason.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 04:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 2019 Bengals Slogan - "Let's Wait and See. Maybe We'll be Surprised?"

Wait, I thought the slogan was "Well, there's always next season!" 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote

Sounds pretty reasonable.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 02:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Side note:  in his lone season as a HC and calling plays, Sam Wyche was 1-11 at IU, and was hired as the Bengals' HC the following year.  He was also a QB coach prior.  He had exactly 5 years coaching experience TOTAL before becoming the head man in Cincy.  Only 4 years as a QB coach in SF, and 1 year at IU.  He was a grad assistant at S. Car. before playing for the Wheeling Ironmen.

Good thing he had a DC who would go into the Hall of Fame for his coaching ability.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 04:52 PM)Synric Wrote: So you preferred to stay with Marvin and his staff? You cant have it both ways you know.

I prefer the unknown....

...boldly going where no man has gone before. Lol

You know, Taylor and a staff of inexperienced coaches with mediocre track records wasn't the ONLY option to get rid of Marvin...
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 04:54 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: It's funny when you think about it.

Exactly! The homer optimists have been wrong for 27 years!

Yet when I point out the questionable track record of these coaches...and how not being able to hire a DC is a red flag...I get met with all kinds of hostility.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 05:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good thing he had a DC who would go into the Hall of Fame for his coaching ability.

Yep....and it's also a good thing that Sammie was the first one to give him the title of DC, wouldn't you say? Pretty sure Dick was a lowly DB coach when he accepted the job.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 05:33 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Exactly! The homer optimists have been wrong for 27 years!

Yet when I point out the questionable track record of these coaches...and how not being able to hire a DC is a red flag...I get met with all kinds of hostility.

You surely aren't referring to me as a homer. LOL 

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 05:12 PM)grampahol Wrote: Wait, I thought the slogan was "Well, there's always next season!" 

It has been for my entire life as a fan! LMAO

Reply/Quote