Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New DC frontrunner?
(02-20-2019, 12:07 PM)Okeana Wrote: if you're excited about this defensive coordinator candidate I don't even know what to say.  The rest of this rambling is irrelevant nonsense 

no where did I say I was excited about any of these hires...  just saying you asked for change and you got it so DEAL WITH IT

or Stop crying when you got what you asked for,.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 11:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No it doesn’t. Teams can turn around quicker in the NFL than any other league.

Not when you don't have a Defensive staff and it's a week away from March and you've missed the e/w/seniorbowl and maybe the combine. We aren't going from worst to first and no one even on this board thinks so.

There's a reason for the lack of urgency in getting the staff set. That reason is the focus is on 2020. Even Hobson says the focus is on 2020 and beyond. So this isn't no secret.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 12:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: People act like it hasn’t always been like that.

Oh it has, it was just a bad attempt at a joke on my part haha.
Reply/Quote
I have to be honest here, I'm not real impressed with some of the people ZT has brought in for the DC job so far. This worries me a bit. I admit I don't know as much about the in and out's of Football as they do, or hell even some of you all on here, but I've watched enough over 30 years to learn a thing or 2. If a 50 something yr old DB coach has never been a DC in the league before, he's not some hot and rising upcoming all the sudden. What do I know though? JDR might not have been a great fit, but surely he's better then this guy.

I just have to wonder, is the guy they really one on another staff and just looking for a stop gap for this up coming season, since they had a late start to this off season? Could they be looking for a guy just to fill the job for 1 year at this point and go after their guy next off season? If they tank this year they would also have a higher draft pick next year as well.

I just would hate to think if this turns out as bad as it looks like it could, and it not being planned this way, that our new HC made some really bad judgement calls to start his tenure here.

Again what do I know compared to them, they may know something we(or just me) don't know and we have or are going to have the staff of a future SB winner.

I just know 1 thing for a fact, and that is I've been a Bengal fan for over 30 years and in that time I've seen nothing but mediocre/poor teams ran here since Wyche left

It's been time for a change for quite some time, but I was/am really hoping it for once to be to the better, not to the worse.

I just hope our HC knows what he's doing in the bigger picture of it all.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 12:27 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: no where did I say I was excited about any of these hires...  just saying you asked for change and you got it so DEAL WITH IT

or Stop crying when you got what you asked for,.

This has nothing to do with the topic.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 10:08 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Let's be honest folks, if the Steelers hired a QB coach to be their HC and they didn't have a DC this late in the game we would be laughing our arses off.

Right or wrong isn't the point, but we'd be laughing.

Probably but they would still be good no matter what. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 12:28 PM)jj22 Wrote: Not when you don't have a Defensive staff and it's a week away from March and you've missed the e/w/seniorbowl and maybe the combine. We aren't going from worst to first and no one even on this board thinks so.

There's a reason for the lack of urgency in getting the staff set. That reason is the focus is on 2020. Even Hobson says the focus is on 2020 and beyond. So this isn't no secret.

Completely untrue. We wouldn’t be paying two sets of coaches if this was the case.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 12:59 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Probably but they would still be good no matter what. 

Yes. Because they have a great front office and winning organizational culture.

We have none of that.

Players put on a Steelers jersey and instantly become better. Here, guys either tend to stay the same or regress...with the exception being some improving.
Reply/Quote
Wait, so now we're punting 2019?

WTF is going on here?
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 01:21 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Wait, so now we're punting 2019?

WTF is going on here?

We can't say 2019 is going to be a waste of time, but I'd have more faith in us surviving a bad DC hire if 2018 wasn't a wasted season "because Terryl Austin."
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 12:42 PM)Goncrazzy Wrote: I have to be honest here,   I'm not real impressed with some of the people ZT has brought in for the DC job so far.   This worries me a bit.   I admit I don't know as much about the in and out's of Football as they do,  or hell even some of you all on here,   but I've watched enough over 30 years to learn a thing or 2.    If a 50 something yr old DB coach has never been a DC in the league before,  he's not some hot and rising upcoming all the sudden.  What do I know though?    JDR might not have been a great fit,  but surely he's better then this guy.

I just have to wonder,  is the guy they really one on another staff and just looking for a stop gap for this up coming season,  since they had a late start to this off season?   Could they be looking for a guy just to fill the job for 1 year at this point and go after their guy next off season?   If they tank this year they would also have a higher draft pick next year as well.  

I just would hate to think if this turns out as bad as it looks like it could,  and it not being planned this way,  that our new HC made some really bad judgement calls to start his tenure here.

Again what do I know compared to them,  they may know something we(or just me) don't know and we have or are going to have the staff of a future SB winner.

I just know 1 thing for a fact,  and that is I've been a Bengal fan for over 30 years  and in that time I've seen nothing but mediocre/poor teams ran here since Wyche left

It's been time for a change for quite some time,  but I was/am really hoping it for once to be to the better,  not to the worse.

I just hope our HC knows what he's doing in the bigger picture of it all.

I hear ya.....but to the bolded....I put up Sam's 1st staff in a thread about him here.  Nearly all of them were 1st timers, and Sam himself was a former QB coach who had never called plays at the NFL level.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-What-if-I-told-you

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 01:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: I hear ya.....but to the bolded....I put up Sam's 1st staff in a thread about him here.  Nearly all of them were 1st timers, and Sam himself was a former QB coach who had never called plays at the NFL level.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-What-if-I-told-you

Yep, and Sam pegged a 47 year old secondary coach as his new DC, who had no prior DC experience. 
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 01:39 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yep, and Sam pegged a 47 year old secondary coach as his new DC, who had no prior DC experience. 

...who turned out to be one of the greatest of all time. 

You never know what a guy can do until he does it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 01:41 PM)McC Wrote: You never know what a guy can do until he does it.

Yeah, but isn't that what Browns fans have said about the past 45 QBs they've started since 1998?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 01:48 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, but isn't that what Browns fans have said about the past 45 QBs they've started since 1998?

Absolutely.  True will be true, whether it works out for the best or the worst.  It wasn't a prediction, just a statement of common sense.  Common sense, it's that thing people used to treasure.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 10:21 AM)Synric Wrote: Defensive coordinators install the defense that is run and call the plays/coverages. So what you're saying is Wade Phillips is better than Kevin Coyle and Vance Joseph.

Those pass defense rankings are a testament to the entire defense not 1 position coach. Passing defense involves the entire defense if a team has a better defensive line they will have a better pass rush which effects the passing defense rankings. Look at the Bengals they got a solid year in 2018 from their DB group but their linebackers were so bad it drops their Pass defense numbers.

I respond with a whopping "well, duh". But you know what started this? You said Anarumo has a better resume than Pleasant.

Since we're not allowed to look at relevant rankings to their position groups - or team success - or coaches they've worked under, why don't you tell me what the heck you were talking about when you said "resume". I'll tell you what teams look at. They look at team success, coaches worked under, and success of the position group. Shit, those things are precisely why Zac Taylor got the HC gig. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 01:51 PM)McC Wrote: Absolutely.  True will be true, whether it works out for the best or the worst.  It wasn't a prediction, just a statement of common sense.  Common sense, it's that thing people used to treasure.

Alas, it is only common sense and sensibility that keeps me from being caught with my pants down when the Bengals flop.  I'll be cautiously optimistic about this guy, assuming he is our DC...I don't see how he could turn down the gig, though.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 12:28 PM)jj22 Wrote: Not when you don't have a Defensive staff and it's a week away from March and you've missed the e/w/seniorbowl and maybe the combine. We aren't going from worst to first and no one even on this board thinks so.

He said that? I wonder how AJ Green, Atkins, Dalton, Dunlap etc would feel about that, given their ages.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 01:56 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Alas, it is only common sense and sensibility that keeps me from being caught with my pants down when the Bengals flop.  I'll be cautiously optimistic about this guy, assuming he is our DC...I don't see how he could turn down the gig, though.

I kinda suck at predicting things outside my control, so I just figure the less predicting I do, the less chance I have for egg on my face.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2019, 01:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He said that? I wonder how AJ Green, Atkins, Dalton, Dunlap etc would feel about that, given their ages.

I also wonder how the new HC would feel about it.

Hobs says a lot of stuff.  Outside of treasuring comp picks, how much of it ends up being true? Didn't he also have Simmons as the leading HC candidate?

Reply/Quote