Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New LB coach-Al Golden
(01-16-2020, 10:24 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's difficult to hire a position coach that hasn't recently been fired.

Cuz, you know, why else are they looking for a job?

Coaches can occasionally take the same position in another organization, but I wouldn't call it common.

So the only way you're not hiring someone who hasn't been fired that season or at least recently is if you take an assistant coach and make him a position coach or you convince a coach to come to your team at the same position.

I don't really see this hiring as an issue. Hopefully, he does well here.

He doesn't have all that much to work with though. It'll be hard to really judge him for a bit.

Need to bring in someone like Jamie Collins, Danny Travathan, Littleton, Van Noy or somebody in FA.

Love Germaine Pratt for the future, Vigil should be re-signed as he improved once he got back from injury but yeah, need help.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 09:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'll admit, that's not really the sort of hire I was hoping for.  I was hoping for a formerly successful DC that had failed in his attempt at being a HC, that was needing a job to redeem himself..

one like you mention would be tooooooo expensive for elmer!!

Reply/Quote
Not a hire to move the needle, but it's not a bad hire either. This guy did well at TEMPLE. Now, that program is decent enough. He took over at Miami after the scandal, and did ok. He might do ok, we could've done worse for sure.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor continues to show he can put together a high grade coaching staff.

Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 09:54 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Great. Another s*** hire by Zac Taylor and Co. Whatever

Talk about writing a guy off before he even gets off the plane.....
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 09:54 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Great. Another s*** hire by Zac Taylor and Co. Whatever

And you're basing this on?...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Golden is a moron. This is yet another crappy hire by Lac.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 08:41 PM)pally Wrote: Al Golden was most recently the LB coach for the Lions.  He was fired from that job at the end of their season along with the entire defensive staff.  Previously he was the Univ of Miami's head coach

let the complaining begin

I am actually quite happy with this signing.  Getting fired in the NFL (or college) if you are simply part of someone's staff isn't uncommon.  I think he has a lot of experience.  What happened to him at Miami, taking over a team with massive sanctions (all incurred before he was hired) was a tough task.  He is originally from PSU, so maybe a coach from LBU is a good idea?

And as far as his time in Detroit.  His Lions took GB to overtime (allowing just 20 points, I believe) the last week of the season in a VERY important game for GB to get the #2 seed, and his team had nothing to play for.  Looks like Patricia blamed his defensive staff instead of looking in the mirror.  

Welcome, Al.  
Reply/Quote

(01-17-2020, 08:01 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Zac Taylor continues to show he can put together a high grade coaching staff.

Ninja

Who were you guys hoping for?

Or did you have no clue who you wanted and decided to just complain about whoever we hired?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 12:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who were you guys hoping for?

Or did you have no clue who you wanted and decided to just complain about whoever we hired?

I was really pulling for this guy:

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 09:58 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'd rather have kept Haslett...

Oh heeellllllllllll NO!!!
Reply/Quote

How so? Tell us why it's a shit hire.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 08:01 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Zac Taylor continues to show he can put together a high grade coaching staff.

Ninja

How is this a bad hire?
Reply/Quote
I’m more concerned with our line backing personnel versus who’s coaching them. People always hate our linebacker coaches when the unit stinks versus questioning the personnel. The Bengals haven’t been able to draft a decent linebacker in forever and typically sign washed up free agents way past their prime. Tobin and his scouts need to re-evaluate how they scout linebackers. Teams around the league continue to draft good linebackers in later rounds and the Bengals can’t. It makes me wonder who’s decision it was to resign Preston Brown. Maybe Tobin made the call on Brown and midway through the year Taylor said this guy can’t play we should cut him because I’m going to bench him or vice versa.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 12:23 PM)sandwedge Wrote: How so? Tell us why it's a shit hire.

These are the same garbage replies I got when I was screaming about the Capt. Lou Albano and Jim Turner. Bad coaches with bad track records. Uninspiring hires. Golden was just fired by the Lions. The Lions. For doing what we expect him to do well here. "Why is he a bad hire?"

Freaking tell me why he's a GOOD one. Please. 

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 12:32 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: These are the same garbage replies I got when I was screaming about the Capt. Lou Albano and Jim Turner. Bad coaches with bad track records. Uninspiring hires. Golden was just fired by the Lions. The Lions. For doing what we expect him to do well here. "Why is he a bad hire?"

Freaking tell me why he's a GOOD one. Please. 

If you are using getting fired by one team as a marker of success, who are you going to hire that has been coaching in the NFL any length of time. They've all been fired at one time or another....
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 12:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Who were you guys hoping for?

(01-17-2020, 12:26 PM)sandwedge Wrote: How is this a bad hire?

Give me someone that didn't just get fired from the 31st ranked defense in 2019?

31st overall
26th scoring
28th in 3rd down conversion rate allowed
5th most penalties
2nd most 1st downs allowed per game

I'm sorry, but I don't want any coaches off of that defense. Give me someone who was a good LB coach in college this year instead on a defense that had to face running QBs. You'll need it for when you play Lamar Jackson 2 times a year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'll just leave it at my inspiration for anyone the bengals have hired in the past 20 years.. They might have hired a decent janitor or two.. Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2020, 12:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If you are using getting fired by one team as a marker of success, who are you going to hire that has been coaching in the NFL any length of time. They've all been fired at one time or another....

That's not true, for starters. Frequently, coaches get fired due to the Peter Principle. 

Golden ascended the coaching ladder, it became obvious he wasn't a head coach, so he climbed back down to a spot that should be his comfort zone (linebackers) and he was still spit out by the freaking Lions after one year.

Reply/Quote
For those asking why some might not be exactly enthusiastic about the hire, the numbers are a little concerning. Now, these stats are not a reflection of the LB position alone, but they do explain why they shat-canned the staff.

-31st in yards allowed
-26th in points allowed
-26th in first downs allowed
-21st in rush defense

Now here's where it gets really concerning, and is more focused on the position.

-The top 3 leaders on the team in tackles were all defense backs. (This is BAD)
-The leader in tackles of the LB group only had 63 TOTAL
-2 of their 3 starters ranked as followed on PFF: 80th, 83rd OUT OF 88!

Note: In about 10 seconds of googling I saw the position group labeled as having a "nightmare season for Detroit linebackers" and earning a F grade from a local beat writer.

Who knows maybe he'll be a good hire. And I'm not pretending to be remotely knowledgable about the Lions or that these numbers paint the whole picture. Just thought I'd add some context to why some may be weary of thus hire.

I mean, let's be honest, on paper this doesn't look ths best does it? Can you really blame people for their doubts?
Reply/Quote