Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New NFL consideration for Bills-Bengals game and
(01-04-2023, 10:13 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: uhhh lol no

Ditto!
Reply/Quote
Most realistic would to let things play out after this Sunday assuming the Bills play the Patriots. Best case for the league Chiefs beat the Raiders so there is no 1 seed controversy. Bengals beat the Ravens so the AFC north is settled then you would just have the 2 seed controversy. If they don't play maybe if the Bills and Bengals meet in the playoffs they could play at a neutral site ?
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:52 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Most realistic would to let things play out after this Sunday assuming the Bills play the Patriots. Best case for the league Chiefs beat the Raiders so there is no 1 seed controversy. Bengals beat the Ravens so the AFC north is settled then you would just have the 2 seed controversy. If they don't play maybe if the Bills and Bengals meet in the playoffs they could play at a neutral site ?

The teams need to go into this week knowing a plan. There could be no reason for the Bengal's to even play starters against the Ravens. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:52 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Most realistic would to let things play out after this Sunday assuming the Bills play the Patriots. Best case for the league Chiefs beat the Raiders so there is no 1 seed controversy. Bengals beat the Ravens so the AFC north is settled then you would just have the 2 seed controversy. If they don't play maybe if the Bills and Bengals meet in the playoffs they could play at a neutral site ?

Bills have the tiebreaker over KC and were #1 until this week.  So there is #1 seed controversy even if KC wins.

if the bills had won against us and win their last game playoffs go thru buffalo
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:18 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The teams need to go into this week knowing a plan. There could be no reason for the Bengal's to even play starters against the Ravens. 

Understandable no perfect solution. Call me crazy but I want the league not to say anything and just want to beat the Ravens so there's no controversy for the North. Losing to the Ravens twice or having a no contest wouldn't sit well with me plus others would think were frauds you know how they love hating on the Bengals. Totally get your point the Ravens and Bengals would play starters and risk injury for no reason. 
Reply/Quote
No to random number generator and no to coin flip. Let's not forget that if they go this route, whoever loses can and most likely will field complaints about it being rigged unless there is full transparency and even then conspiracy theorists are going to have a field generator.

If they do not resume the game, they need to either declare a tie or no contest (I'd prefer a tie, personally) unless a team forfeits.

And if the Bills do forfeit this Sunday, they should forfeit the Bengals game as well.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 11:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Bills have the tiebreaker over KC and were #1 until this week.  So there is #1 seed controversy even if KC wins.

if the bills had won against us and win their last game playoffs go thru buffalo

Your right my bad , even more reason that they have to play this game at some point.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 10:04 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: They could just flip a weighted coin for the game and call it like that. At the time the game was called, the Bengals had a 57% win chance according to Joe Goodberry. That would be more realistic than just a random number generator.

The fact that the Bengals were leading 7-3 has no bearing on what will happen the rest of the game.

The very next play might be a Bills blitz where Burrow's arm is hit while he throws, it's a pick-6 for the Bills, and Burrow is injured.

A game is 60 minutes, not 9 minutes. It's ridiculous calling the game for one team or the other. I would despise the NFL if they did that. A no-contest (which hurts the Bills, Bengals, Ravens and helps the Chiefs) or a resumed contest (which might help the Dolphins if Tua gets a week off to recover) are the only options that exist. 
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1610657605591961600?s=46&t=IRZjCnle095RafxAQNWYew
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 12:16 PM)Bbeagle Wrote: The fact that the Bengals were leading 7-3 has no bearing on what will happen the rest of the game.

The very next play might be a Bills blitz where Burrow's arm is hit while he throws, it's a pick-6 for the Bills, and Burrow is injured.

A game is 60 minutes, not 9 minutes. It's ridiculous calling the game for one team or the other. I would despise the NFL if they did that. A no-contest (which hurts the Bills, Bengals, Ravens and helps the Chiefs) or a resumed contest (which might help the Dolphins if Tua gets a week off to recover) are the only options that exist. 

I agree. If the game was deeper into play, then we could potentially talk about this. However, a little over halfway through the first quarter with a four point margin is nowhere near close enough to have that discussion. I am personally fine with a no contest. If the NFL goes this route, I won't be complaining. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 12:16 PM)Bbeagle Wrote: The fact that the Bengals were leading 7-3 has no bearing on what will happen the rest of the game.

...What?

Having a lead absolutely has a bearing on what will happen the rest of the game. They literally have a term for it, called "game script."

Teams in the lead run the ball more, can play more aggressively on defense (because they know their opponent has to pass to catch up) and it means they can make more mistakes and still win.

No one is saying the Bengals would definitely win based on that first 9 minutes, but they definitely would have affected how the rest of the game was going to go, especially since the Bengals were already picking up easy yardage in their second drive before the game was halted.

Quote:A game is 60 minutes, not 9 minutes. It's ridiculous calling the game for one team or the other. I would despise the NFL if they did that. A no-contest (which hurts the Bills, Bengals, Ravens and helps the Chiefs) or a resumed contest (which might help the Dolphins if Tua gets a week off to recover) are the only options that exist. 

They may be the only options that you have deemed "fair," but they most certainly are not the only options that exist. Not even close. There are many other possibilities that could be explored.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 01:29 AM)casear2727 Wrote: playoff seeding....Random Number Generator.

If there is a situation in which declaring a no contest between Bengals and Bills that results in a seeding issue after Sunday's games - a random number will be drawn to determine a game to remove from KC's schedule to even out the number of games to 16 amongst the Bills, KC and Bengals..... thoughts?

I guess i don't hate it as much as just going by percentages and giving the Chiefs the #1. It does still screw the Ravens. 

As far as the generator goes, it's not exactly equal since they have 13 wins and only 3 losses.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 01:40 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: I don't like the "IF" scenario here. "If there is a seeding issue." Let's be honest. There is already an issue. This wait and see approach is unprofessional by the NFL. Our approach against the Ravens changes knowing the outcome of last night's game, which was cut short to the unfortunate tragedy.

My suggestion since I've only offered my useless bickering? Since resuming the game seems demonizing to a lot of people, flip a damn coin. We're leaving it to chance regardless with a number generator... At least we know where we stand going in against Baltimore.

Yep. And it doesn't account for where they would be IF the Bengals had beat Buffalo. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 01:47 AM)casear2727 Wrote: The NFL does not want teams to play any differently in their last game.  Play the games to win, afterwards see if there are any issues, subtract one game from any team involved in a conflict that has played 17 games, the winning percentage and tie breakers will determine seeding.  Very simple, no moving games, adding weeks, etc.

There is talk that Buffalo may forfeit this Sunday.  If so, and we win and KC loses, the Chiefs have an 80% chance of having to drop a win from their schedule and we are the #1 Seed.

Man, there are so many crazy things that can happen...

Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 12:34 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: ...What?

Having a lead absolutely has a bearing on what will happen the rest of the game. They literally have a term for it, called "game script."

Teams in the lead run the ball more, can play more aggressively on defense (because they know their opponent has to pass to catch up) and it means they can make more mistakes and still win.

No one is saying the Bengals would definitely win based on that first 9 minutes, but they definitely would have affected how the rest of the game was going to go, especially since the Bengals were already picking up easy yardage in their second drive before the game was halted.

They were up by 4 points with three full quarters still left to play.  

I'm not so sure that margin would have greatly affected things. Because again, literally anything could have happened on the very next play. Burrow could've thrown a Pick 6 and suddenly the Bills were leading by 3.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 12:57 PM)Big Boss Wrote: They were up by 4 points with three full quarters still left to play.  

I'm not so sure that margin would have greatly affected things.  Because again, literally anything could have happened on the very next play.  Burrow could've thrown a Pick 6 and suddenly the Bills were leading by 3.

its like people havent been watching any games this year lol
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 12:27 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I agree. If the game was deeper into play, then we could potentially talk about this. However, a little over halfway through the first quarter with a four point margin is nowhere near close enough to have that discussion. I am personally fine with a no contest. If the NFL goes this route, I won't be complaining. 

This is why I like the "weighted" coin flip option. Determine the winner based on win percentages at the time the game was stopped. 57% for Cincy and 43% for the Bills. Generate the winner randomly based on those percentages. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 12:57 PM)Big Boss Wrote: They were up by 4 points with three full quarters still left to play.  

I'm not so sure that margin would have greatly affected things.  Because again, literally anything could have happened on the very next play.  Burrow could've thrown a Pick 6 and suddenly the Bills were leading by 3.

It would not have a massive impact on the game's outcome, but it would have some impact. That's why the win chance was only 57%.

Also the pick 6 thing is a bad argument because, let's say it's 0 to 0. A pick 6 means the Bills lead by 7. But with a 4 point lead, the lead is only 3. So the Bengals come back and score a field goal it's now even, whereas in the 0-0 scenario they're down more than a field goal in that same scenario. That's a significant difference and has major implications for the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:24 AM)Bbeagle Wrote: This weekend: KC LOSS, BUF WIN, CIN WIN... Bills #1, KC #2, Bengals #3 seeds. (Bengals possibly 'robbed' of #1 seed)
Playing the Bills/Bengals game could result in the Bengals getting the #1 seed. Bills don't want to play.

This weekend: KC WIN, BUF WIN, CIN WIN... KC #1, Bills #2, Bengals #3 seeds. (Bills possibly 'robbed' of #1 seed)
Playing the Bills/Bengals game could result in the Bills getting the #1 seed. Bengals don't need to play.

The NFL needs to decide before Saturday whether the Bills/Bengals game is being resumed.

Because without it being resumed,

Bills do not control their own destiny anymore to getting #1 seed - they need help from the Raiders. And if KC wins, Bills are #2, and have no reason to play vs. Patriots on Sunday, they can rest.

Bengals won the division against the Ravens. They have the #3 seed locked up regardless of the result on Sunday. Bengals can rest.

Both the Bills and Bengals will NOT rest their players if there is a resumption of the Bills/Bengals game in Week 19.

I believe the Bengals have a tiebreaker on the Bills if they tie in record, so if the Bills lose and Bengals win, Bills go to 3rd seed, Bengals go to 2nd seed, so the Bills do have something to play for
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 01:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: This is why I like the "weighted" coin flip option. Determine the winner based on win percentages at the time the game was stopped. 57% for Cincy and 43% for the Bills. Generate the winner randomly based on those percentages. 

now we are really is out there with weight a coin flip... if we want to go by %, I give this idea 99% chance of not happening
Reply/Quote