Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New model - Jacksonville?
(12-12-2017, 01:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ha ha ha.......my apologies good sir.

In all seriousness, there are some good ideas there.  We GOTTA address the C position.  The draft will not cure all that ails us.  We MUST be a serious player in FA if we wish to right the ship in one offseason.  If not, this will take a total rebuild.

They need to draft for needs after addressing the holes they can with FA.  I haven't looked at who's available where, but LB, FS, and at least 3 oline positions are a definite need.

Agree !

We absolutely must be a serious player in FA for the core that still here to have any chance AT ALL !

At least 2, probably even 3 top level guys ! You can't fix the O-line and fill couple other holes all in one draft, no way no how !

And Dalton, AJ, Geno and so on are running out of time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Didn't they sweep the AFCN this season? And blowout Baltimore?

Whatever they're doing works.
Reply/Quote
We don't need new o-line recruits, we need the player we have properly trained. We had first rounders, but not coached up, other teams take players and help them get ready for NFL. play. Our players come here, and just watch the game, thats why we think the choice we made are duds. These players are told that everything is going ss planned. Look at the players that have moved to other teams, they are now doing fine.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 06:03 PM)SYLVIA Wrote: We don't need new o-line recruits, we need the player we have properly trained. We had first rounders, but not coached up, other teams take players and help them get ready for NFL. play. Our players come here, and just watch the game, thats why we think the choice we made are duds. These players are told that everything is going ss planned.  Look at the players that have moved to other teams, they are now doing fine.

Which former Bengal OL are doing well with other teams, that weren't doing well here?  I'm not talking about Whitworth, Zeitler, or Steinbach, they were all studs here.

The only ones that even come to mind were Evan Mathis , who had a short run of success in Philly, and Nate Livings who played a season with Dallas.  Not like either of them went on to become household names with other teams.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 05:02 PM)Benton Wrote: Didn't they sweep the AFCN this season? And blowout Baltimore?

Hell we should model Chicago then, but only if they can beat the Browns,

As to the OP:

LBs, we need LBs. We struck gold with Burfict; however, he's about 1 knee injury or 1 concussion, or 1 illegal hit away from being a non-factor. He should be able to go out there and support; not lead. And it is ironic as Marvin is the LB whisperer, I've always said he is too confident in what he can get out of a LB.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 06:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which former Bengal OL are doing well with other teams, that weren't doing well here?  I'm not talking about Whitworth, Zeitler, or Steinbach, they were all studs here.

The only ones that even come to mind were Evan Mathis , who had a short run of success in Philly, and Nate Livings who played a season with Dallas.  Not like either of them went on to become household names with other teams.

Marshall Newhouse is actually having a solid season with the Raiders.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 06:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Marshall Newhouse is actually having a solid season with the Raiders.

Does he count?  He wasn't drafted and developed by the Bengals, even though he did play for the Bengals, on a short stint.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 01:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There's been a lot of doom and gloom on these boards for at least the past month or so, and I wanted to change the focus to something that might be more hopeful.

The purpose of this thread is to see if perhaps trying to imitate the Patriots and Steelers isn't the best option and instead maybe the Bengals should look at a more similar team who has gone from zero to hero - the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Jacksonville, like Cincinnati, doesn't have an elite QB. Most would say Bortles is actually worse than Dalton.
Their LT, like Cincinnati, has been terrible. Actually, Cam Robinson has been worse than Ogbuehi according to PFF (39.3 vs 40.3 rating).
They even lost their prized WR Allen Robinson to injury in the first game of the year.

Yet the Jags sit at 9-4 with a nice win over the beloved Seahawks.
How did they do it? The rushing attack and an aggressive, smothering defense.
They drafted an elite RB talent in Leonard Fournette. They have a highly rated Center and RT.
They have solid to dominant defensive players at nearly every spot. Most were drafted by Jacksonville but they brought in a few key FAs that really elevated them.
Calais Campbell, AJ Bouye, Barry Church all this year. Malik Jackson in 2016. And they traded for Marcell Dareus this year in the middle of the season.

This is the type of team the Bengals should look to mimic if they can't get an elite QB.
The Bengals have the running backs already in Mixon and Gio.
They have a dominant 3T with Atkins, and two good edge rushers in Dunlap and Lawson.
They look to have a budding star in William Jackson III. The light might finally be coming on for Darqueze Dennard too. Iloka and Williams are both solid, but both IMO are SS.
Burfict is a monster at LB when he's able to play.

So what do the Bengals need?
1) A head coach that emphasizes aggressiveness and attacking the LOS.
2) An offensive coordinator that makes this offense prioritize the rushing attack.
3) At least two dominant OL. Guards and Centers look to be strong in this upcoming draft. There are also a handful of OTs that could be good LTs but potentially elite RTs.
4) A 3-down LB. I believe this can come from FA in the form of Zach Brown or Preston Brown. There are also some quality players in the draft like Josey Jewell.
5) A true FS that is instinctual and can cause turnovers. The Bengals DBs don't cause enough of them. I believe this draft class has some good safety candidates.
6) 1-2 pass rushing threats, preferably a DT. The draft looks to have good pass-rushing DTs at the top of the draft, but not many mid-to-late round prospects to groom. If the Bengals go DT in the draft, they probably should do so on Day 1 or Day 2.

I believe that if done properly, all of the above can be accomplished within this coming offseason and the Bengals can compete again. Even moreso if McCarron and/or Dalton could be moved for additional early-round draft picks. However, at least one of the above needs will likely have to be acquired in FA because the Bengals only have so many early-round picks (expected four in Rds 1-3 unless trades happen).

Note - I did not list WR because I believe with LaFell gone and a staff that can properly assess and utilize John Ross, the Bengals receiving game will be improved. I also did not list TE because I believe the Bengals have adequate TE options for a run-focused offense much like the Jags.

What are your thoughts on this approach? Do you think the Bengals could morph into a run-first team and get back to competing once again?

Got it!

Sadly, Mike Brown doesn't get it and never has and never will.

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 04:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Remembering back, there were many of us that were on the draft Alex Mack bandwagon.  Just about as many that were on the draft Pat Elfine bandwagon.  

And still, the highest drafted Center of the Mike Brown era?  Jonathan Luigs 3rd round, played 0 downs for the Bengals.

if I remember correctly..
it was rd #2....
Alex Mack was there....I too wanted him but NO.
they took LB Mauluga
many were happy....but not me....
Reply/Quote
I agree the Jags are well built now...
but I don't care who ya follow...
if we don't fix our o-line we're screwed...
we have to get a quality OG & OC in this draft or in FA....
we just have to...
if it's in the draft I say do this in rds 1 & 2....
get quality starters....
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 04:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, my memory was a little fuzzy.  However, my assertion still stands.  

Do you see any bad mofos on that list?  Me neither.

It's time for this team to break the cycle, and draft a damn Center that will be the rock of the line for the next 10-12 years.

Absolutely. Center no later than Rd 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 09:11 PM)Steve Wrote: if I remember correctly..
it was rd #2....
they took LB Mauluga

Maualuga looked like a beast at USC. He looked like the incredible hulk out there. When he fell to us it looked like a stroke of luck...

But...he fell for a reason I suppose.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 09:11 PM)Steve Wrote: if I remember correctly..
it was rd #2....
they took LB Mauluga

Mack went #21 overall to Cleveland.  The Bengals took Maualuga in the 2nd round.  The popular opinion was that San Diego was going to take Maualuga with the 16th pick, but he fell.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 04:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ok, my memory was a little fuzzy.  However, my assertion still stands.  

Do you see any bad mofos on that list?  Me neither.

It's time for this team to break the cycle, and draft a damn Center that will be the rock of the line for the next 10-12 years.

This team very badly needs a center ! In fact IMHO it's a very top priority, if not #1 at least #1A
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 01:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ha ha ha.......my apologies good sir.

In all seriousness, there are some good ideas there.  We GOTTA address the C position.  The draft will not cure all that ails us.  We MUST be a serious player in FA if we wish to right the ship in one offseason.  If not, this will take a total rebuild.

They need to draft for needs after addressing the holes they can with FA.  I haven't looked at who's available where, but LB, FS, and at least 3 oline positions are a definite need.
Like all the OP's points and yours too. My despondency comes from knowing who sits in the big chair in the Front Office. This man likely has to be forced to change his underwear because he so set in HIS out of date ways. Otherwise, I say this is a good plan.  Go For It!
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 05:02 PM)Benton Wrote: Didn't they sweep the AFCN this season? And blowout Baltimore?

The worst thing for the Steelers was to have the Patriots lose to the Dolphins.

The Patriots have lost 2 games in a row only 5 times since 2003.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 09:44 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: This team very badly needs a center ! In fact IMHO it's a very top priority, if not #1 at least #1A

our 1st rd pick will probably be #9
can't take a Center there....
that's why I say
TAKE THE BEST O-LINE PLAYER ON THE BOARD AT #9
 that is OG Nelson.....who's raked in the top 10 on most mocks....
to me it's a no brainer....
WE HAVE TO FIX THIS LINE.....
& this draft class is not great for OT's...but it is for interior lineman....
that's why I say in rds 1 & 2 lets go OG & OC
fix our interior line....  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 09:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Maualuga looked like a beast at USC. He looked like the incredible hulk out there. When he fell to us it looked like a stroke of luck...

But...he fell for a reason I suppose.

slightly off topic but....
I use to be on the cincy Enquirer bengals board long ago...after we drafted Maualuga ....we had a contest on there picking the def rookie of the yr that yr.....many picked Maualuga.....I picked his USC LB mate who went to Houston....I cant remember his name now... but anyway....after they announced who won,  I posted on there that I won that contest as I was the only one who picked him......
& it seemed like the entire board was pissed at me for getting it correct....
hahahahahahha
SMH.....
I was shocked at how not one person congratulated me.....just jeers & booos.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2017, 01:19 PM)Wyche Wrote: Sounds good to me, but you forgot the necessary axing of Piano Man.

I don't know about axing him but I would like to take a few shots at him with the handle.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 09:14 PM)Steve Wrote: slightly off topic but....
I use to be on the cincy Enquirer bengals board long ago...after we drafted Maualuga ....we had a contest on there picking the def rookie of the yr that yr.....many picked Maualuga.....I picked his USC LB mate who went to Houston....I cant remember his name now... but anyway....after they announced who won,  I posted on there that I won that contest as I was the only one who picked him......
& it seemed like the entire board was pissed at me for getting it correct....
hahahahahahha
SMH.....
I was shocked at how not one person congratulated me.....just jeers & booos.... Hilarious

That was Brian Cushing.  Wasn't his great play due to PED's?  I forget what happened to him exactly.

Edit: I just looked it up. Apparently he is still on the team. I guess I just haven't heard much from him lately.
Reply/Quote