Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Bengals QB?
Taking politics out of the equation, Colin Kaepernick seems to be the perfect specimen for a Mike Brown image rehab project. Mikey Boy loves a flashy quarterback and he has a soft spot for hard cases like the late Chris Henry who, let me remind you, was brought back to the Bengals over Marvin Lewis’ objection. However, the three year layoff seems a bit long to me — but to our octogenarian owner three years is a drop in the bucket.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 01:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Taking politics out of the equation, Colin Kaepernick seems to be the perfect specimen for a Mike Brown image rehab project.  Mikey Boy loves a flashy quarterback and he has a soft spot for hard cases like the late Chris Henry who, let me remind you, was brought back to the Bengals over Marvin Lewis’ objection.  However, the three year layoff seems a bit long to me — but to our octogenarian owner three years is a drop in the bucket.

Agree that Mikey loves his rehab projects, but I think better candidates would be Winston, Mariota, or Newton, all of whom look to be available in the offseason.  
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 02:01 PM)shanebo Wrote: Agree that Mikey loves his rehab projects, but I think better candidates would be Winston, Mariota, or Newton, all of whom look to be available in the offseason.  

I would include Philip Rivers and Eli Manning on that list.

You’re right but Mikey Boy doesn’t seem to care about taking the best player available in the draft nor is he a decent trade partner. I like how you think; getting an available veteran quarterback seems more pragmatic than taking on a flyer on the hottest college sensation in the draft. Besides, I believe taking Chase Young early and building a shutdown defense around him is a better long-term strategy.
Reply/Quote
Kaepernick has been better than a lot of other QBs that have made NFL rosters over the last 3 years. He should not have been blackballed over his peaceful protest.  But nothing can be done about it. There is no way to force a team to sign him.

No way the Bengals even consider him.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kaepernick has been better than a lot of other QBs that have made NFL rosters over the last 3 years. He should not have been blackballed over his peaceful protest.  But nothing can be done about it. There is no way to force a team to sign him.

No way the Bengals even consider him.

I'd comment on this but ehh, it's been said and it would be getting into P&R territory.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 12:02 PM)Mer Wrote: So was protesting against a country that has made you a multi-millionaire for playing a sport. There were much better ways to raise awareness that wouldn't have caused all the controversy and he'd probably still be employed in the NFL. He brought the negative publicity on himself.

Oh well... We have a guy who broke a woman's face on the roster. Did I agree with his method of protest? No. Do I care about his or anyone else's political views? No. I also don't think he should be blackballed for them either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 11:43 AM)shanebo Wrote: Just heard Adam Schechter talking about this on local (Philly) radio. He called BS on the NFL. Workout is scheduled for Saturday, which is the busiest day of the week for teams prepping for Sunday games. No one he's talked to plans to go, not even the local teams or teams on bye. Which is why Kaep sarcastically called out the NFL, tweeting that he "can't wait to see the head coaches and GMs on Saturday" -- he knows there most likely won't be any head coaches or GMs there. (He apparently tried to reschedule for a Tuesday, the typical "off" day, but NFL said no.)

Think about it. Kaep has been unemployed and available for the past 3 years. If any team had been remotely interested in him, they had numerous opportunities to bring him into their own facilities and at their own convenience to work him out. NFL is simply staging this "workout" so they can say "we really tried, unfortunately no one is interested in you. Not our fault." Schechter speculated that Kaep probably won't even show up unless the NFL provides him with a list of 15-20 team reps who plan to be there.

Now I am not a Kaep fan -- I don't like his attitude, I don't think he's that good of a QB, and I certainly don't think he's worth the trouble that he stirs up -- but this is just wrong.

Lions and Dolphins are attending the work out...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
If they do sign him, whoever runs this place has my permission and I’m asking you to just go ahead and delete my account!
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 11:43 AM)shanebo Wrote: Just heard Adam Schechter talking about this on local (Philly) radio.  He called BS on the NFL.  Workout is scheduled for Saturday, which is the busiest day of the week for teams prepping for Sunday games.  No one he's talked to plans to go, not even the local teams or teams on bye. 

Multiple teams, including the "local" falcons will have people there.

(11-13-2019, 11:43 AM)shanebo Wrote: Think about it.  Kaep has been unemployed and available for the past 3 years.  If any team had been remotely interested in him, they had numerous opportunities to bring him into their own facilities and at their own convenience to work him out.  NFL is simply staging this "workout" so they can say "we really tried, unfortunately no one is interested in you.  Not our fault." 

Actually it was reported that multiple teams had contacted the league offices about Kaepernick.  Teams were cautious about taking the lead in possibly bringing him back, so the NFL decided to do a "league sponsored" workout so that none of the teams could be singled out as pushing for his return.

The fact that the league did it on such short notice indicates that they are not all that interested in Kaepernick looking good.

No team will sign him as an "instant fix" for just this year, they don't expect to be able to sign him and immediately plug him into the starting role on a new offense.  
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 12:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: if we bring in keap and he sucks it up... at least we wont have to hear about Keap anymore so just for that im for it now.  just so everyone will shut the hell up about a qb that was benched 3 years ago and cried his way home...

Brown family doesn't have to worry about fans not showing if they sign Kaepernick either..
Reply/Quote
I don't know if my heart could handle crapernick
Reply/Quote
I personally hope they sign him just to see the reactions lol. This season is a complete abortion anyway so why the hell not?
Reply/Quote
They won't sign him. They wouldn't sign Eric Reid because he wouldn't guarantee he would stand during the anthem.
Reply/Quote
If pumpernickel was so great why hasn't any team claimed him? He has probably hurt the image of the NFL more than he's ever going to help it. As a Vietnam Veteran, I put my life on the line to give him the right to protest and express his opinion  as he see's fit. But,now he's broke and trying to say he still believes what he's doing is right,but he also disgusts me and thousands of Veterans across this land. I stand for the flag and kneel for the cross!
I feel sorry for a person who takes the ***** way out of a situation that's bigger than he is!
Reply/Quote
He didn't look very good the last few times he played. Eric Reid was a central figure in the protest as well, but he still plays. That's because he's good at his job.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 05:06 PM)firstand10 Wrote: If pumpernickel was so great why hasn't any team claimed him? He has probably hurt the image of the NFL more than he's ever going to help it. As a Vietnam Veteran, I put my life on the line to give him the right to protest and express his opinion  as he see's fit. But,now he's broke and trying to say he still believes what he's doing is right,but he also disgusts me and thousands of Veterans across this land. I stand for the flag and kneel for the cross!
I feel sorry for a person who takes the ***** way out of a situation that's bigger than he is!

He gets a check from Nike. It's ok to not like the guy, but he's probably not broke.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 05:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: He didn't look very good the last few times he played. Eric Reid was a central figure in the protest as well, but he still plays. That's because he's good at his job.

I'm not sure how true that is.  I can't imagine most people who oppose the whole kneeling thing can name anyone but Kaepernick.  I've never done any deep research on this, but it always seems like people get worked up over the idea of Kaepernick being in the NFL again when as you've pointed out there are other kneelers that just went on with their careers.

At any rate, I never grasped why the people who dislike him the most also make a point to say he isn't in the NFL because he stinks at football. You'd think they'd find pride in saying that he'd still be in the NFL if they didn't stand up and tell the NFL that they wouldn't support an organization that employs him. Kaepernick would still be in the NFL today if we didn't stand up and let Goddel and his cronies know that America won't tolerate that sort of disrespect! That sounds a lot better than Kaepernick isn't in the NFL because he's not good, the fact that he (in the opinion of some) disrespects (insert what is being disrespected here) has nothing to do with it.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 12:26 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: What does protesting against a country that made him a multi-millionaire have anything to do with it?

Let's say people were shooting dolphins and I didn't agree with it, but I was a multi-millionaire. Am I allowed to protest that people are shooting dolphins?

Regardless, he's an old version of Lamar Jackson. He went to the superbowl and threw for 300 yards. He's better than anything else out there on the bench.

Raising awareness and controversy go hand in hand in many cases. This is not a good post, you are misinformed.

I don't know, using a private employers resources to vent your personal opinions on national TV might be offensive to some owners, players, fans.  Might get you fired.  I've owned businesses and if an employee started agitating about their personal political, social beliefs in my business I'd fire them immediately whether I agreed with them or not.  They can have their free speech on public property, their own property or elsewhere, but not my place where I'm trying to make a buck.  Same goes for Kapernack, a  man who cashed in big time over his arrogant and offensive on field behavior.  Lots of people were offended by him.  NFL attendance has nose dived due entirely to his "movement".
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 05:28 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: NFL attendance has nose dived due entirely to his "movement".

No it hasn't.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 05:28 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: I don't know, using a private employers resources to vent your personal opinions on national TV might be offensive to some owners, players, fans.  Might get you fired.  I've owned businesses and if an employee started agitating about their personal political, social beliefs in my business I'd fire them immediately whether I agreed with them or not.  They can have their free speech on public property, their own property or elsewhere, but not my place where I'm trying to make a buck.  Same goes for Kapernack, a  man who cashed in big time over his arrogant and offensive on field behavior.  Lots of people were offended by him.  NFL attendance has nose dived due entirely to his "movement".

So is he out of the NFL because he stinks at playing football and isn't fit to carry a clipboard, or is he out of the NFL because he made Paul Brown stadium empty? This is like the head of some sort of domestic abuse group stating that it is a fact that Bengals game attendance is so poor this year because the Bengals have Joe Mixon on the team.
Reply/Quote