Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Bengals QB?
(11-13-2019, 12:02 PM)Mer Wrote: So was protesting against a country that has made you a multi-millionaire for playing a sport. There were much better ways to raise awareness that wouldn't have caused all the controversy and he'd probably still be employed in the NFL. He brought the negative publicity on himself.

2 points....

- What he did wasn't "wrong" or against the law. There is a ton of hypocrisy on this subject, starting with the fact that this country was born out of protestation and in your face rebellion.

From that perspective, what he did was as American as it gets. Besides that, how many fans at the stadium or at home aren't paying attention or respecting the anthem when it's playing? But, a couple of black dudes do it in the name of police brutality and all of a sudden people are grasping at their pearls? F that!

Where he completely lost me was the pig socks he wore. I felt like lumping every member of law enforcement into what a few people did is exactly the type of stereotyping he was fighting against. 

Side note: I was 2 feet away from Mr. "Great American" himself, Bill Cunningham, at a Reds opening day a few years ago at a WLW party on the Reds party deck that I was invited to. Through the ENTIRE anthem Bill was sat down, already wasted, and yelling at the top of his lungs for Seg Dennison to come over and see something funny on his phone. That is 100% truth and no BS. Did anyone say anything to him? Nope!

That doesn't mean I agree with Kaep's stance, just that I agree with his right to do it. I also agree with his employer's right to fire or not rehire him although, technically, he fired  himself when he opted out of his own contract.... a fact swept under the rug by the media.

- I hear people say "other" or "better" ways all the time. Be specific. What ways would be better, further conversation, keep the issue in the public eye, etc. etc.? I would say his venue and form of protest couldn't have been more strategic as far as protests go. Was it productive? Not sure how to quantify that. But, it is still being talked about years later.

How's  occupy Wallstreet going in terms of progress or notoriety? It's not, because nobody cares. Why? Because it was out of the public eye in an area most of the country doesn't see.

Hate his message, fine. I get it. But the method and timing was spectacular and as American as it gets, IMO.
Reply/Quote
Should the Bengals kick the tires on Kaepernick. I believe that the Bengals fans would break the bank buying beers to throw at him on the sidelines. It seems that MB always goes to extreme to piss off the fans with his FA signings, this could be his coup d'etat. Then he would go down as not only the most hated man in the Cincy are but the most hated of all time.
Reply/Quote
The only question I have is this: Is Colin Kaepernick better than the other three quarterbacks on the Bengals’ roster?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Noooooooooo
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 05:57 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Should the Bengals kick the tires on Kaepernick. I believe that the Bengals fans would break the bank buying beers to throw at him on the sidelines. It seems that MB always goes to extreme to piss off the fans with his FA signings, this could be his coup d'etat. Then he would go down as not only the most hated man in the Cincy are but the most hated of all time.

I’m not so sure about that. As a people we’re fairly forgiving but I don’t think Colin Kaepernick is a good “fit” here — or unfortunately anywhere else in the NFL. The three year, well, let’s just call it a “layoff” for lack of a better term is significant. Being in shape and being in physical and mental football condition are two different things. Besides, not facing a real defense for all that time is important too.
Reply/Quote
Issue with Kaepernick is he's Toxic doesnt matter I'd you agree with his protests or not. The Bengals are having a hard enough time selling tickets without adding him to the mix.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 06:03 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not so sure about that. As a people we’re fairly forgiving but I don’t think Colin Kaepernick is a good “fit” here — or unfortunately anywhere else in the NFL.  The three year, well, let’s just call it a “layoff” for lack of a better term is significant.  Being in shape and being in physical and mental football condition are two different things.  Besides, not facing a real defense for all that time is important too.

That's the thing. You're talking about a 32 year old that hasn't played NFL football in nearly 3 full seasons ! You just don't run back out on the field and take right off. I'd guess it's gonna take him quite some time to get back up to speed.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 05:57 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The only question I have is this: Is Colin Kaepernick better than the other three quarterbacks on the Bengals’ roster?

He hasn't suited up in 3 years, but when he was playing, be was better than the new guy and the Dolegalalala dude for sure.

People have an agenda with Kaepernick, and that's ok... I get it. So they like to say that he's a scrub that got benched because he couldn't play. They ignore the fact that he led the 49ers to the Super Bowl, and was one play away from winning it. He was also one play away from going back the next year. They also ignore the fact that that team eroded around him following 2013 season. Harbaugh was replaced by a boob named Thomsula... That sounds like some word Bobby Boucher's mom would use...

Anyway, I'm not in favor of signing him, but I don't think he's some talentless scrub either. Greg Roman worked the same magic with him that he is with Lamar right now.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 06:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: That's the thing. You're talking about a 32 year old that hasn't played NFL football in nearly 3 full seasons ! You just don't run back out on the field and take right off. I'd guess it's gonna take him quite some time to get back up to speed.

just tried of reading about keap a QB that hasn't played in 3 years.....

I hope he gets signed starts and does bad so we don't have to hear about him any more..
(don't care what team signs him) 

But if our goal is to find out what we have in finley signing keap doesn't make much sense.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 06:19 PM)jason Wrote: He hasn't suited up in 3 years, but when he was playing, be was better than the new guy and the Dolegalalala dude for sure.

People have an agenda with Kaepernick, and that's ok... I get it. So they like to say that he's a scrub that got benched because he couldn't play. They ignore the fact that he led the 49ers to the Super Bowl, and was one play away from winning it. He was also one play away from going back the next year. They also ignore the fact that that team eroded around him following 2013 season. Harbaugh was replaced by a boob named Thomsula... That sounds like some word Bobby Boucher's mom would use...

Anyway, I'm not in favor of signing him, but I don't think he's some talentless scrub either. Greg Roman worked the same magic with him that he is with Lamar right now.

having an elite defense im sure didn't have anything to do with the 49ers in the superbowl that year....

He could play and played well that year... But didn't seem to put the work in the next offseason and rapidly declined... to the point he was benched...

At this point though hes not worth the hassle hes has basically blackballed himself out of the league
Reply/Quote
The team will be at the workout

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 06:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: having an elite defense im sure didn't have anything to do with the 49ers in the superbowl that year....

He could play and played well that year... But didn't seem to put the work in the next offseason and rapidly declined... to the point he was benched...

At this point though hes not worth the hassle hes has basically blackballed himself out of the league

That elite defense definitely did play a roll in his success. The same way that Zimmer and Guenther's elite defenses played a roll in Andy Dalton's early success. Not having that elite defense, Frank Gore, Crabtree, Davis, and a great coaching staff played a roll in his demise too... Sound familiar? Most teams with great defenses, and playmakers seem to go far. It's not coincidence.

The Broncos had a great team on both sides of the ball, and a all time great QB in 2013... They were donkey punched by the LOB in the Super Bowl. Kaepernick's 49ers damn near beat them 2 weeks prior.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
No, no, hell no, a thousand times no. This team has a rookie head coach who doesn't need the headache of a below average QB under center that is more drama then Antonio Brown. Roll with Finley, and see what you have and if he isn't the answer you get a guy in the draft. Kaep is into his 30's and his last few seasons in the league were pretty bad, 3 years sitting on the couch probably didn't sharpen those skills, his time came and went.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I don't see the issue. Kneeling really isn't that big of deal anymore given what those same people who took offense to it are willing to turn their blind eye to currently as it relates to patriotism and being pro America.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The only issue I have with Kaep is i dont think hes a very good QB. He had some success when San Francisco was good, but it seemed like defenses figured him out and then once the team fell off he looked terrible. With our offensive line Im thinking he would look pretty bad. The kneeling seemed to piss off fans, but it wasnt really an issue for me.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 06:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't see the issue. Kneeling really isn't that big of deal anymore given what those same people who took offense to it are willing to turn their blind eye to currently as it relates to patriotism and being pro America.

It's impressive that these identical threads haven't made it to pnr yet... I get why people don't like Kaepernick. I don't like Joe Mixon. Personally I think breaking a girl's face is FAR worse than anything that can be done during a national anthem. People can point out that employers have the right to not hire someone for protesting on the job, but those same people should try catching a battery charge, and trying to look for employment afterwards... Lemme know how that works out for them.

I don't want him here, but I don't see the sense in piling on and slandering the guy. This team has employed more than one criminal over the years.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Reminder that if you all want to discuss kneeling in general then then that discussion is for PnR and not Jungle Noise.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 06:41 PM)jason Wrote: That elite defense definitely did play a roll in his success. The same way that Zimmer and Guenther's elite defenses played a roll in Andy Dalton's early success. Not having that elite defense, Frank Gore, Crabtree, Davis, and a great coaching staff played a roll in his demise too... Sound familiar? Most teams with great defenses, and playmakers seem to go far. It's not coincidence.

The Broncos had a great team on both sides of the ball, and a all time great QB in 2013... They were donkey punched by the LOB in the Super Bowl. Kaepernick's 49ers damn near beat them 2 weeks prior.

overall though  there is no point in us looking....   Signing him might  give us a vet option till years end.. but hes already 32 not a long term answer. we need to be looking for that long term answer.

and I don't think ZT is a good enough playcaller to design an offense for keap...

This team doesn't need any distractions till they can figure out how to win.
Reply/Quote
Get it in writing that he won't kneel and I'm at least receptive to the idea.

I'm not getting into the particulars of the whole kneeling thing. I'd just rather not have to listen to all the drama.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Bengals coach Zac Taylor did not wish to comment on whether the team would have scouts there, but the Enquirer reported Wednesday afternoon that sources confirmed Cincinnati will be looking at how Kaepernick performs during the workout.

https://www.whio.com/sports/report-bengals-will-evaluating-colin-kaepernick-workout/GaAmxqWi39aiTEU8YdURMK/

Guess they are trying to chase fans away. If they sign this punk I’m done being a fan
Reply/Quote