Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Bengals QB?
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Dalton is a better QB than CK. This move would elevate a very poor season to disaster proportion. Just draft a young and exciting QB in 2020.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 02:29 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Dalton is a better QB than CK.  This move would elevate a very poor season to disaster proportion.  Just draft a young and exciting QB in 2020.

Well...Dalton will be gone next year. Maybe they bring in Kaep and see what he has and then he's the starter next year while a rookie sits for 8 games.

I think it's a bad idea. I expect them to do things that are bad ideas.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 06:46 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote:  Kaep is into his 30's and his last few seasons in the league were pretty bad,

(11-13-2019, 06:57 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: it seemed like defenses figured him out and then once the team fell off he looked terrible. 

His last season ('16) he was playing for a 2-14 team without a single WR any of us could name right now and he still posted a 90+ passer rating with 16td (in 11 games) and 4 ints.

(11-14-2019, 12:16 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Game day photos of attendance around the league say otherwise. A lot of the empty seats are season ticket holders unable to off load via StubHub. Empty seats even at Steelers, Green Bay and Ravens. 

Those seats are not empty because of kneeling.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 02:31 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...Dalton will be gone next year. Maybe they bring in Kaep and see what he has and then he's the starter next year while a rookie sits for 8 games.

I think it's a bad idea. I expect them to do things that are bad ideas.

If the Bengals draft Tua or Burrow, he will start day 1.  The days of sitting QB in the NFL is becoming less frequent.  But you are correct, it probably is better to use alogical explanations  regarding decisions by the Bengals.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 02:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: His last season ('16) he was playing for a 2-14 team without a single WR any of us could name right now and he still posted a 90+ passer rating with 16td (in 11 games) and 4 ints.

Those seats are not empty because of kneeling.

Yep... It's ok to not like the guy, but people are being disingenuous or actually never watched him play. They should just come out and say it's because of the anthem. He was still good player in 2016.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 11:43 AM)shanebo Wrote: Just heard Adam Schechter talking about this on local (Philly) radio.  He called BS on the NFL.  Workout is scheduled for Saturday, which is the busiest day of the week for teams prepping for Sunday games.  No one he's talked to plans to go, not even the local teams or teams on bye.  Which is why Kaep sarcastically called out the NFL, tweeting that he "can't wait to see the head coaches and GMs on Saturday" -- he knows there most likely won't be any head coaches or GMs there.  (He apparently tried to reschedule for a Tuesday, the typical "off" day, but NFL said no.)

Think about it.  Kaep has been unemployed and available for the past 3 years.  If any team had been remotely interested in him, they had numerous opportunities to bring him into their own facilities and at their own convenience to work him out.  NFL is simply staging this "workout" so they can say "we really tried, unfortunately no one is interested in you.  Not our fault."  Schechter speculated that Kaep probably won't even show up unless the NFL provides him with a list of 15-20 team reps who plan to be there.

Now I am not a Kaep fan -- I don't like his attitude, I don't think he's that good of a QB, and I certainly don't think he's worth the trouble that he stirs up -- but this is just wrong.

Hardly.

Name me the last time that the league has coordinated a workout for any one player.  To my knowledge, it's never happened.

Schedule it on a Tuesday?  Why, most front offices hold workouts at their own facilities to try out players.  They won't show on Tuesday either.

No team has brought him in for a workout since he's been out of the league.  So, there's obviously zero interest from ANY team.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 02:58 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: No team has brought him in for a workout since he's been out of the league.  So, there's obviously zero interest from ANY team.

This just is not true.

The reason the NFL set up this workout is because multiple teams have contacted the league office about Kaepernick.
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 02:22 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Kaepernick has been better than a lot of other QBs that have made NFL rosters over the last 3 years. He should not have been blackballed over his peaceful protest.  But nothing can be done about it. There is no way to force a team to sign him.

No way the Bengals even consider him.

He wasn't blackballed for peaceful protest, he was blackballed because his talent didn't outweigh the distraction/media attention.

It's similar to Tim Tebow. Tebow was good enough to be a backup somewhere, but having Tebow as a backup wasn't worth the ESPN trucks being camped at every practice and constant talk of "should Tebow be starting". 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 03:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He wasn't blackballed for peaceful protest, he was blackballed because his talent didn't outweigh the distraction/media attention.

It's similar to Tim Tebow. Tebow was good enough to be a backup somewhere, but having Tebow as a backup wasn't worth the ESPN trucks being camped at every practice and constant talk of "should Tebow be starting". 

Right, Eric Reid is still playing....I wonder what the difference is.... Hmm 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 02:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: His last season ('16) he was playing for a 2-14 team without a single WR any of us could name right now and he still posted a 90+ passer rating with 16td (in 11 games) and 4 ints.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/234081/colin-kaepernicks-biggest-problem-performance-not-politics

Quote:Kaepernick's greatest NFL successes came as part of the San Francisco 49ers' read-option scheme from 2012-14. In those three years, he rushed for 1,578 yards -- more than any quarterback other than Russell Wilson and Cam Newton. His success -- he threw more than twice as many touchdown passes (50) as interceptions (21) -- helped him compile the eighth-best Total Quarterback Rating in the NFL (70.2) over that period.

Even then, Kaepernick was one of the league's least-accurate quarterbacks. His 60.1 completion percentage ranked No. 23 in the NFL, and his percentage of off-target throws -- judged on video by ESPN Stats & Information -- ranked No. 18 (17.6 percent).

Those issues intensified in 2015 and 2016 amid the 49ers' coaching turmoil and talent drain. Since the start of the 2015 season, Kaepernick ranks last in the NFL among 35 qualified passers in off-target percentage (22.6). His completion percentage ranks No. 32 at 59.1. He still was one of the NFL's most productive rushing quarterbacks, ranking No. 4 in total yardage over those years, but it didn't mitigate his passing deterioration.

All passers miss throws, but Kaepernick over the past two seasons has done it as much or as more as anyone. It's hardly surprising that teams didn't rush to sign him in the opening days of free agency. Realistically, he's vying for the kind of veteran backup job that often doesn't get filled until after the draft or later. That deal is going to be worth a fraction of the $14 million he earned last season.

The concerns of Lee and others are not completely unfounded. There is precedent for NFL teams passing over players who engage in social activism. The sudden end to punter [/url]Chris Kluwe's career in 2013, [url=https://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/56119/chris-kluwe-release-the-role-of-advocacy]a year after he waded into the issue of marriage equality, comes to mind.

But fair or not, those decisions are made on a sliding scale. The better player you are, the less teams will heed their off-field concerns. Kluwe hadn't kicked well, compared to the rest of the league, in 2012. Kaepernick has been one of the league's least accurate quarterbacks for two years.

When given a choice between players with relatively equal projections in terms of production, teams are likely to choose the one who brings what they perceive to be less controversy. What happens on the field is always the most important factor. So it goes.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 03:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Right, Eric Reid is still playing....I wonder what the difference is.... Hmm 

Exactly. Reid did the same thing, but less of the media focus was on him. 

So, less distraction and risk for signing him. Talent > distraction in his case.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 01:42 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: False. He didn't lose the starting job before he began his protest. 

Yes he did.....

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 03:54 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yes he did.....

He did, but he was starting again in 2016... He started the whole thing in the preseason while he was backing up Blaine Gabbert or someone.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 06:33 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: having an elite defense im sure didn't have anything to do with the 49ers in the superbowl that year....

He could play and played well that year... But didn't seem to put the work in the next offseason and rapidly declined... to the point he was benched...

At this point though hes not worth the hassle hes has basically blackballed himself out of the league

.....and Frank Gore running crazy out of the backfield.

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 03:56 PM)jason Wrote: He did, but he was starting again in 2016... He started the whole thing in the preseason while he was backing up Blaine Gabbert or someone.

Yep. He lost the camp battle with Gabbert, but retook the job about week six. When he was in Harbaugh's system, I liked him. After that, he wasn't much. He never really had much touch on the ball, and mostly had a sub 60% completion percentage. 

The protest part is his right. I won't comment on my thoughts of the when and how he chose to do it, but lets just say I was for signing Eric Reid when he visited here. Risk vs reward....

Reply/Quote
(11-13-2019, 06:59 PM)jason Wrote: It's impressive that these identical threads haven't made it to pnr yet... I get why people don't like Kaepernick. I don't like Joe Mixon. Personally I think breaking a girl's face is FAR worse than anything that can be done during a national anthem. People can point out that employers have the right to not hire someone for protesting on the job, but those same people should try catching a battery charge, and trying to look for employment afterwards... Lemme know how that works out for them.

I don't want him here, but I don't see the sense in piling on and slandering the guy. This team has employed more than one criminal over the years.

I got a lot of shit on here for being against the Joe Mixon pick. To his credit, he has been in no trouble since.....

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 04:00 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: .....and Frank Gore running crazy out of the backfield.

I was watching highlights of him for a second yesterday... I'd forgotten that Randy Moss was on the 49ers his last year in the league.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2019, 04:10 PM)jason Wrote: I was watching highlights of him for a second yesterday... I'd forgotten that Randy Moss was on the 49ers his last year in the league.

Shhhhiiiidddddd .....I had too!

Reply/Quote
I've got a Villanueva jersey in my digital cart just waiting if they sign this guy.
Reply/Quote