Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Up: Da Bears
Taylor vs Nagy... Lol what a matchup.
Reply/Quote
This thread is interesting to me because I live in southern Illinois but the same distance from here to either Chicago or Cincinnati. Since the Rams went back to L.A., the closest NFL city to here is now Nashville at just over 200 mi.

The Bear's game is a difficult one to predict but one thing is sure. The Bengals can't gift-wrap a T.D. for them like they did the Vikings yesterday.
Reply/Quote
Andy is not limited on ability to do deep throws. The issue was horrid blocking. He had to get the ball out fast (and was doing it in under 2 seconds) because that was all the time he had. If we generate the type of pressure we did yesterday the result will also be the pass game going short. Remember, however, that they CAN run. We will need to do to Montgomery what we did to Cook.

And hopefully we let Burrow call more plays and turn him loose more. The Bears secondary is not that good at stopping explosive plays.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 11:17 AM)Sanforbd Wrote: I’ve sold real estate on the Southside for 15 years, worst neighborhoods in the country, never been harmed or threatened. But solid narrative.

It's probably a more solid narrative than your narrative about slitting your wrists before moving to Ohio.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 09:52 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: People may think this was an exaggeration, but they nailed the Bears fans.  I've experienced them on many an occasion at games up in Detroit.  They're obese, mustachioed, drunken fools who bray endlessly and wreak of onions and "sassages."  The SNL skits were kind.  

[Image: tenor.gif]

Never stops being funny to me...

When two of my fav things combine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_mu-qloPQk&ab_channel=Geekster
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 01:41 AM)Joelist Wrote: So we now go to Chicago (I live here, it is a crap city) to face off with the Bears. Compared to the Vikings there are some similarities and some differences:

1) Bears OL is suspect - Peters got hurt tonight as did another Tackle.

2) Montgomery is a VERY underrated back.

3) The Bears defensive front is decent but not as strong as Minnesotas.

4) They have speed at WR but no one like Jefferson; they are stacked at TE though.

5) As tonight showed, they are VERY susceptible to big pass plays.

Assuming we clean up the blocking back issue, the offense should be able to run and pass on them and score. Defensively if we have a DL performance like we did today the Bears will be stymied offensively. And of course, the big thing will be Zac Taylor vs. Matt Nagy. Will Zac actually call a good game? Only the future knows...

Very winnable game if we can contain the TE's and Montgomery. Hilton will be key on Defense along with our pass rush.

I think we can score over 30 on these guys. Need better play from our Center, if we have to start Trey Hill so be it.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 10:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's mentality my friend. The mentality brought here by the likes of Vonn Bell, Trey Hendrickson, Mike Hilton and Jessie Bates. There is no quit in these guys. We've all seen Bengals defenses under Marvin that would have folded after the 4th down failure and resulting change of momentum. Not this one, Bengals Defense is going to be the talk of the NFL in the next few weeks. When Waynes comes out and replaces Apple, it will only be better. And for those who lamented getting rid of Lawson, while I liked Carl, I predicted he would be injured this year and Hendrickson is as advertised.... He was a complete beast yesterday.

I think Lawson could have been a part of this group, as he seemed to be a team-guy (but as you pointed out, was oft-injured and Hendrickson is a durable as a clydesdale.   But your overall point is dead on.

I will add that eliminating guys like Dunlap and maybe even WJIII (who quickly fired shots at the organization when he left), has left a group of guys that are dialed in to winning and have that relentless motor.  

Defense was my biggest question mark heading in to this season, but that was a nice start to showing they are heading in the right direction.  

Even though Apple had a couple struggles, I feel a lot better with him and Phillips as the depth pieces compared to a year ago.  
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 01:41 AM)Joelist Wrote: So we now go to Chicago (I live here, it is a crap city) to face off with the Bears. 

(09-13-2021, 07:10 AM)SladeX Wrote: I grew up in Evanston. No love for the North? 

(09-13-2021, 10:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I lived in Chicago and I'm fine...maybe I am a true badass?

(09-13-2021, 11:17 AM)Sanforbd Wrote: I’ve sold real estate on the Southside for 15 years, worst neighborhoods in the country, never been harmed or threatened. But solid narrative.

I watched a good part of Sunday's game at Havana on Clark Street.  Great food.

I was in town with my daughter who was at the Pitchfork Music Festival.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 10:03 AM)Sled21 Wrote: We've all seen Bengals defenses under Marvin that would have folded after the 4th down failure and resulting change of momentum. Not this one, 

Please, for the love of god, stop with these silly comments.

Immediately after that 4th down failure the Bengals defense gave up 30 yards and a td in just 4 plays.  Next Viking possession they drove 65 yards on 11 plays for another td.  Then when we had the Vikings pinned at their own 5 yard line with less than 2 minutes left our defense let them drive for the game-tying score. 

I do not want to bash our current defense.  They played better than I expected and helped us win the game.  But it is silly to compare this defense to the top units under Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 01:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Please, for the love of god, stop with these silly comments.

Immediately after that 4th down failure the Bengals defense gave up 30 yards and a td in just 4 plays.  Next Viking possession they drove 65 yards on 11 plays for another td.  Then when we had the Vikings pinned at their own 5 yard line with less than 2 minutes left our defense let them drive for the game-tying score. 

I do not want to bash our current defense.  They played better than I expected and helped us win the game.  But it is silly to compare this defense to the top units under Marvin.

Please, for the love of God, stop with these silly comments without actually reading a post.  Did I say the top Marvin defenses? I said we've all seen defenses under Marvin that completely folded when adversity hit. If you don't agree with that, you must have missed a few years of football.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 12:47 PM)740Bengal Wrote: Taylor vs Nagy... Lol what a matchup.

Nagy made the playoffs twice with Mitch Trubisky as his QB.  I ain't saying he's Bill Walsh, but the guy has done something to separate himself from ZT.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 09:31 AM)Takedown Wrote: We stopped Cook, we'll stop Montgomery. I'm worried about their TE's and Fields packages.

I heard on one of the NFL shows that it had been two years since Dalvin Cook was held under NINETY yards rushing in a game.  He had 61 against the Bengals, including one 17 yard run.  So, he had 44 yards on 20 carries outside of that.  

This defense needed to be much better at stopping the run to be competitive in the AFC North.  That was a heck of a start.  
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 01:38 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Lawson could have been a part of this group, as he seemed to be a team-guy (but as you pointed out, was oft-injured and Hendrickson is a durable as a clydesdale.   But your overall point is dead on.

I will add that eliminating guys like Dunlap and maybe even WJIII (who quickly fired shots at the organization when he left), has left a group of guys that are dialed in to winning and have that relentless motor.  

Defense was my biggest question mark heading in to this season, but that was a nice start to showing they are heading in the right direction.  

Even though Apple had a couple struggles, I feel a lot better with him and Phillips as the depth pieces compared to a year ago.  

True, I really liked Lawson, my only complaint with him is if you go back through his professional and college years, he seems to be on an injury schedule. He was due to be injured this year, and has been. It's just crap luck. 

As to Dunlap and WJIII, yeah, while I would not go so far as to say they were a locker room cancer their last year here, they definitely were malcontents. I found Bate's comments very interesting.  He talks about how smart the new free agents and draft picks are, and how Lou has an open door and communicates very well what he wants, and every single one of them have bought it.  Maybe certain ex players just weren't smart enough to grasp what they were asked to do, and that's why they were unhappy. Dunlap was unhappy in this system, Hendrickson and Hubbard are on fire with it. And all the DT's, even the brand new guy, are getting after it. Larry O said in his interview when asked about Hill's 2 sacks after just getting here, and he said "a players going to play regardless"
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 02:57 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Please, for the love of God, stop with these silly comments without actually reading a post.  Did I say the top Marvin defenses? I said we've all seen defenses under Marvin that completely folded when adversity hit. If you don't agree with that, you must have missed a few years of football.

You missed my main point. Our defense DID collapse after that 4th down play. They allowed the Vikes to score on 3 of their last 4 drives (including one starting at their own 5 yard line with less than 2 minutes left) and completely blew a 14 point lead.

And if you were just talking about prior Bengal defenses in general why mention Marvin Lewis? We saw more sustain defensive success under Lewis than any coach in Bengal history.
Reply/Quote
We stopped Cook who is one of the best backs we will stop Montgomery no problem. Protect Burrow and it should be an easy win, Dalton still sucks . I've never been to Chicago but based on the 70 shootings that it has every weekend I'd rather visit Cincinnati all day long.
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 09:48 AM)Sled21 Wrote: True, I really liked Lawson, my only complaint with him is if you go back through his professional and college years, he seems to be on an injury schedule. He was due to be injured this year, and has been. It's just crap luck. 

As to Dunlap and WJIII, yeah, while I would not go so far as to say they were a locker room cancer their last year here, they definitely were malcontents. I found Bate's comments very interesting.  He talks about how smart the new free agents and draft picks are, and how Lou has an open door and communicates very well what he wants, and every single one of them have bought it.  Maybe certain ex players just weren't smart enough to grasp what they were asked to do, and that's why they were unhappy. Dunlap was unhappy in this system, Hendrickson and Hubbard are on fire with it. And all the DT's, even the brand new guy, are getting after it. Larry O said in his interview when asked about Hill's 2 sacks after just getting here, and he said "a players going to play regardless"

Dead on.

This was the big test for me this year with the coaches.  Aside from injuries, which hit all teams and can't really be controlled, they now have the young, high-motor, intelligent (to their system) guys they wanted with little to no holdovers.  

It's only week 1, but that first game was pretty huge and a tough draw.  Thank God they got the Vikes at PBS, where they are still yet to win a game.  
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 08:59 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Nagy made the playoffs twice with Mitch Trubisky as his QB.  I ain't saying he's Bill Walsh, but the guy has done something to separate himself from ZT.

They would have been 5-11 at best if in the AFC North
Reply/Quote
(09-14-2021, 11:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You missed my main point. Our defense DID collapse after that 4th down play. They allowed the Vikes to score on 3 of their last 4 drives (including one starting at their own 5 yard line with less than 2 minutes left) and completely blew a 14 point lead.

And if you were just talking about prior Bengal defenses in general why mention Marvin Lewis? We saw more sustain defensive success under Lewis than any coach in Bengal history.

YET they went on to play exceedingly well in OT and created a massive, game-changing turnover.  They didn't fold. 
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2021, 01:46 AM)Sanforbd Wrote: A shit city? Chicago is one of the best cities in the world. I’d slit my wrist before I’d move back to Ohio.

Doesn't Chicago have more murders every year than the entire state of Ohio? 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bear fan checking in, in peace.

The Bears, oh man, so many problems with this team. Shocked the run game got off against the Rams. The Bears OL is definitely a weak spot. They are down to Plan D at LT. Whoever will be playing LT will be a stiff. The RT, not much better. The interior OL at this point is pretty solid.

The game plan against LA was pretty simple, establish the run the PA off that. The reason for quick releases by Dalton, outside of the rush, the Rams play cover 2 and were not going to let anything behind them. The short stuff was there all game and Nagy took it.

Nagy talked all summer about the speed at WR, but would not even take a shot downfield. That has to happen no matter what. Nagy is pretty weak. He is more worried about being cute than being consistent. Montgomery should be the focus even though Cincy D will be stacking up to stop him. Nags will abandon the run quicker than you think.

Bears D, was putrid. Eddie Jackson has become an overpaid, marshmallow. He doesn't lay the wood and he just doesn't seem to care. He got paid. The corners are weak and poor.

The DL, there is some talent there but........they are also paid. Mack has underachieved for a year now and he didn't do squat Sunday night. Quinn, worthless, overpaid, tripped into half a sack. Hicks is dominant when he wants and Nichols is coming on.

Fields will see some action but not consistently. Bears O doesn't score enough to scare anyone. I see Bengals 27 - Bears 17.

Good day people.
Reply/Quote