Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Next weeks feature, crow.
This sure beats the old days when we had to try to convince ourselves that big FA signings were bad.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 08:28 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I think the issue is Bell AND Bates, as opposed to much else. That does leave us with a hole right now... but we did draft with this in mind, and FA also isn't over yet.

Like you say, OT is (on paper) a better investment and clearly the wiser one. We may even be back to back Super Bowl champs had we had a decent OL the past two years. We really aren't missing a lot, but OL was definitely what we were missing. FO knocking it out of the park imo.

OT is a better investment than safety, period. Give me an all pro OT over an all pro safety every day of the week. Way more valuable, especially when you have a legit QB.

Bengals aren’t done filling out the secondary. I trust Lou and co. will do a great job.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 10:27 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: OT is a better investment than safety, period. Give me an all pro OT over an all pro safety every day of the week. Way more valuable, especially when you have a legit QB.

Bengals aren’t done filling out the secondary. I trust Lou and co. will do a great job.

I don't disagree, I'm just making the point that we can expect people to currently be a little concerned about the Safety position. There's a chance that doesn't work out as we'd like, but I mirror trusting the FO on this one.
Reply/Quote
It's amazing all the hand wringing over Bates leaving, considering all the legit bashing he took over the last two years for allegedly playing not to get hurt. He turned it on in the playoffs, but regular season he really was nothing special, right?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:36 AM)Sled21 Wrote: It's amazing all the hand wringing over Bates leaving, considering all the legit bashing he took over the last two years for allegedly playing not to get hurt. He turned it on in the playoffs, but regular season he really was nothing special, right?

He was really good the back half of this year, but not as good in the POs as last year. At least that was what my eyes told me. Bates is really good.....every other year.

PFF Regular season: Playoffs
2022: 76.8; 50.4
2021: 56.1; 90.0
2020: 90.1; n/a
2019: 61.2; n/a
2018: 79.9; n/a 

Brown is more consistent: 
2022: 75.8; 66.8 (no sacks)
2021: 75.4; 68.7 (2 sacks)
2020: 76.5; 75.0 (no sacks)
2019: 72.0; 76.9 (no sacks)
2018: 67.8; 68.9 (no sacks)

I think Hendrickson got him for a sack last year, and we might have gotten the other one as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: They aren't coming from a culture of winning..... 

One of the key's to the Bengals turn around is their free agents came from teams with playoff success, their draft picks came from college playoff and championship teams.

Signing players from the Bears etc who has never contributed to a team who won more then 4 games is losing a little of that wining culture mindset. 

Damien Harris played at Bama and NE bro....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Have to bump this thread as it was falling into the 2nd page of JN...

Cannot have that. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 06:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Have to bump this thread as it was falling into the 2nd page of JN...

Cannot have that. Mellow

Thanks Nate the great!
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:08 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: He was really good the back half of this year, but not as good in the POs as last year. At least that was what my eyes told me. Bates is really good.....every other year.

PFF Regular season: Playoffs
2022: 76.8; 50.4
2021: 56.1; 90.0
2020: 90.1; n/a
2019: 61.2; n/a
2018: 79.9; n/a 

Brown is more consistent: 
2022: 75.8; 66.8 (no sacks)
2021: 75.4; 68.7 (2 sacks)
2020: 76.5; 75.0 (no sacks)
2019: 72.0; 76.9 (no sacks)
2018: 67.8; 68.9 (no sacks)

I think Hendrickson got him for a sack last year, and we might have gotten the other one as well.

Just shows you how good Hendrickson is as a pass rusher, when he wants to get to the QB he is coming...

No matter who the LT is.

(03-16-2023, 06:56 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Thanks Nate the great!

You are welcome Bengalbug. Smirk
Reply/Quote
I’ll be out of town tomorrow for work, so I likely won’t be able to spend much time. But I wanted to revisit the sky is falling crowd.

Since the melt down last week.

The bengals have brought back Pratt
Brought in a top 10 LT (everyone has an opinion on exactly how good he is, but top 10 is almost universally accepted)
Replaced one safety position, with the other already on the roster.
Brought in/back two depth pieces for the OL
Have a second FA visit with a tight end that would replace the hurst loss

I still envision a RB signing in time, but not rush on this.
I also have a gut feeling that they will bring in rock ya sin on a 1-3 year deal.

They did all this without over paying any position with big extensions looming for burrow, Higgins (maybe), Wilson and chase.

Am I missing anything? Has the sky fallen?
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2023, 10:33 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Has the sky fallen?

Nope!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 11:29 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I don't disagree, I'm just making the point that we can expect people to currently be a little concerned about the Safety position. There's a chance that doesn't work out as we'd like, but I mirror trusting the FO on this one.

Yes logically it is of some concern.  However, as secondary is supposed to be Lou specialty, I look forward to seeing what he can do with the new/elevated guys.
Reply/Quote