Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nice game, Jackson Carman
Watching some clips from Brian Baldinger and others, and Carman is just ridiculously strong. It’s obviously only one game, but all hope might not be lost with him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Carman has always been physically overpowering and really pops out on tape when you watch him. Once he gets his hands on someone, he can really drive them back. He just struggles with his consistency otherwise. He'll have a play like that and then get dominated on the very next play, leading to a hold or a sack.

He played fantastically yesterday, though. I was very happy with watching him.
Reply/Quote
It's interesting how shifting from guard to college position of tackle seemingly has made a difference for his success. We also can't discredit what we don't see, practice. For all we know, he's made great strides since last year. Not taking a starting spot from the big-three FAs or Jonah, nor losing out to Volson, doesn't mean he was in the coaching doghouse or sucking. It just means they preferred other starters but still valued him.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 11:51 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: It's interesting how shifting from guard to college position of tackle seemingly has made a difference for his success. We also can't discredit what we don't see, practice. For all we know, he's made great strides since last year. Not taking a starting spot from the big-three FAs or Jonah, nor losing out to Volson, doesn't mean he was in the coaching doghouse or sucking. It just means they preferred other starters but still valued him.

Playing guard last year meant he had to learn to speed up his hands. That's going to make him a better tackle as well.
Reply/Quote
I’m really happy for the kid! May he continue his pancaking ways!!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 11:48 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Carman has always been physically overpowering and really pops out on tape when you watch him. Once he gets his hands on someone, he can really drive them back. He just struggles with his consistency otherwise. He'll have a play like that and then get dominated on the very next play, leading to a hold or a sack.

He played fantastically yesterday, though. I was very happy with watching him.

Carman was really done no favors as a rookie with being made to switch sides and positions.

OL is tough to develop because of the limited number of padded practices in the NFL.  I think the consistency issues can be ironed out with more meaningful reps.
Reply/Quote
We may be able to avoid OT early in the draft given this development.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Going all the way back to Clemson, Jackson's biggest issue is consistency. He's usually good for one false start per game. He just loses concentration occasionally, but when he's dialed in he's absolutely good enough to start at LT in the NFL. Yesterday showed that. Happy for the kid, hope he gets a chance to continue showing what he's capable of.
Reply/Quote
If Carman plays the rest of the playoffs like he played Sunday, he might have just warranted keeping around for 2023 season.
There have been many (including myself) who thought Carman was set for a release from the team after this season given how often he'd been inactive this year. Now, it looks like it might be D'Ante Smith at risk.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 08:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For as much as I have run the guy into the ground for not living up to expectations thus far in his career, it is only fitting that I give him credit for not only filling in for Jonah Williams, but playing surprisingly well.

Great job, keep up the good work.

Hell ol buddy, I think we've ALL given JC the business at one point or another.

I'm happy for him, and I hope he can keep it up. In his interview with Lap, he gave all of the credit to playing next to Volson. He was very humble. I'm thinking he's maybe matured a lot (he's only 23 isn't he?), and the back is now in good shape. I was frankly a little shocked at how much he gushed over Cordell helping get him up to speed. This team is something else, and it's rubbing off on every one of them. Even one of our favorite whipping boys. New Dey indeed.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 10:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: WATCH THIS!!!  Great stuff, SP.  The Adeniji pull....Do we think Collins makes that play?  No.  He doesn't have that kind of speed and mobility.  The Chase block on Shaq Lawson....Did I just see Ja'Marr block a 270 lb man so hard he left the ground and didn't give him an inch?  My God, Chase is a beast.  And the Carman "Snow Plow" was awesome.  Dude doesn't lack for strength, that is for sure.

HUGE KUDOS to the Bengals for hiring an additional offensive line coach (forget his name) that was tasked with more time developing the backups during practice as they usually don't get the snaps outside the first team line.  It is apparent that was time and money very well spent.  Also props for Duke swiping Sharping from the Texans PS as they tried to do some clever maneuvering.   

This 2 minutes of film is just outstanding.  

The assistant OL coach Derek Frazier obviously has helped.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 12:46 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell ol buddy, I think we've ALL given JC the business at one point or another.

I'm happy for him, and I hope he can keep it up. In his interview with Lap, he gave all of the credit to playing next to Volson. He was very humble. I'm thinking he's maybe matured a lot (he's only 23 isn't he?), and the back is now in good shape. I was frankly a little shocked at how much he gushed over Cordell helping get him up to speed. This team is something else, and it's rubbing off on every one of them. Even one of our favorite whipping boys. New Dey indeed.

It's the Ted Karras effect.  Having a strong and vocal leader like Ted to be one's captain and mentor has to be a fantastic bonus for the young guys, compared to what they had to learn from last year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The key is being consistent.. KC will be a good test to start to see if he can be consistent
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 12:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's the Ted Karras effect.  Having a strong and vocal leader like Ted to be one's captain and mentor has to be a fantastic bonus for the young guys, compared to what they had to learn from last year.

Yes, very good point. Karras has been a wonderful pickup. 

Reply/Quote
The whole line looked good. Amazing 3 new starters.

And the run blocking looked more physical.

I'm not in the give up on Jonah camp, but clearly Jonah hasn't played great this year.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 12:22 PM)Whatever Wrote: Carman was really done no favors as a rookie with being made to switch sides and positions.

OL is tough to develop because of the limited number of padded practices in the NFL.  I think the consistency issues can be ironed out with more meaningful reps.

I hear you, but Volson played LT in college and made the switch. I wonder if his back injury was the real issue and if he is now healthy.

It is not a knock on Carman, some can do it like Whitt, some can't. I am just thrilled he played great yesterday, hopefully a confidence builder for him. Our RT and RG also played very well yesterday as did our center on a bad knee.

Just a great OL game.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 11:46 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Watching some clips from Brian Baldinger and others, and Carman is just ridiculously strong. It’s obviously only one game, but all hope might not be lost with him.

He played well against the Ravens, and just killed those Bills. I'm happy he found himself out there.
We aren't in a position where we can afford to miss on high picks. We need them to play so we can afford to keep some of our better players.
Reply/Quote
So pumped for all of the Bengals players, coaches and team personnel - but especially for the offensive lineman that were questioned and doubted so much this week and the defense to perform that way against the Bills offense. And very promising to see Carman perform at LT. That's huge for them if that continues from Carman. Still continue to build on it via future drafts but Carman showed what he can do .
Reply/Quote
And it was his birthday to boot.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:20 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And it was his birthday to boot.

That is great to see Frank really giving the young man props. Not just "hey, good game", but a lot of handshakes, a little embrace, and words of encouragement in his ear. I'm happy for Jackson, I hope can continue to play this well. We're going to need it.

Reply/Quote