Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nice game, Jackson Carman
(01-23-2023, 08:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For as much as I have run the guy into the ground for not living up to expectations thus far in his career, it is only fitting that I give him credit for not only filling in for Jonah Williams, but playing surprisingly well.

Great job, keep up the good work.

Yes sir Sunset. Been a long time coming. Maybe he should just play on the left side? lol
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yes sir Sunset. Been a long time coming. Maybe he should just play on the left side? lol

I really think that the leadership change in the OL room has made the difference, for several of these guys.  Having veterans with winning mindsets goes a long way in making young players more confident, more eager to succeed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really think that the leadership change in the OL room has made the difference, for several of these guys.  Having veterans with winning mindsets goes a long way in making young players more confident, more eager to succeed.

Ted Karras might be the most underrated grab in FA of all time and might bring us the Lombardi.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 01:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hear you, but Volson played LT in college and made the switch. I wonder if his back injury was the real issue and if he is now healthy.

It is not a knock on Carman, some can do it like Whitt, some can't. I am just thrilled he played great yesterday, hopefully a confidence builder for him. Our RT and RG also played very well yesterday as did our center on a bad knee.

Just a great OL game.

Volson was originally a G that converted to T late in his college career iirc, but folks can feel free to correct me on that.  Really, his body type is more suited to G, where Carman is more of a natural T due to his height and length.

Carman also graded significantly higher as a rookie than Volson did this year(56.3 to 51.6).  Volson has had a lot of struggles this year, but started showing improvement down the stretch as he got more and more in game reps.  
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: Volson was originally a G that converted to T late in his college career iirc, but folks can feel free to correct me on that.  Really, his body type is more suited to G, where Carman is more of a natural T due to his height and length.

Carman also graded significantly higher as a rookie than Volson did this year(56.3 to 51.6).  Volson has had a lot of struggles this year, but started showing improvement down the stretch as he got more and more in game reps.  

Jackson Carman 6'5" #317 32.5" arm length

Cordell Volson 6'6" 315 33.875" arm length

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:01 PM)Whatever Wrote: Volson was originally a G that converted to T late in his college career iirc, but folks can feel free to correct me on that.  Really, his body type is more suited to G, where Carman is more of a natural T due to his height and length.

I still find it pretty amazing how well Cordell has played coming from such a small college (North Dakota State).

Ted, Alex, La'el and Jonah deserve a lot of credit along with Pollack and the OL coaches.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Jackson Carman 6'5" #317 32.5" arm length

I was wondering about that part of Whatever's post myself. Volson clearly looks to have a much wider wingspan than Carman.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I still find it pretty amazing how well Cordell has played coming from such a small college (North Dakota State).

Ted, Alex, La'el and Jonah deserve a lot of credit along with Pollack and the OL coaches.

I know Burrow is getting the ball out faster than just about anyone in the league
right now, but idc, this is still impressive for a 4th round rookie.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
I know Burrow is getting the ball out faster than just about anyone in the league
right now, but idc, this is still impressive for a 4th round rookie.

Sure is, and he almost seems like a vet out there. You can tell he was helping Carman. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ted Karras might be the most underrated grab in FA of all time and might bring us the Lombardi.

I was about to say something similar. Ted is an amazing player, and he seems like a great dude.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really think that the leadership change in the OL room has made the difference, for several of these guys.  Having veterans with winning mindsets goes a long way in making young players more confident, more eager to succeed.

Indeed

I've been really hard on Carman and Adeniji for that matter. They both played very good yesterday as did Scharping. The Oline hit a Grand Slam Joe
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 12:46 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Hell ol buddy, I think we've ALL given JC the business at one point or another.

I'm happy for him, and I hope he can keep it up. In his interview with Lap, he gave all of the credit to playing next to Volson. He was very humble. I'm thinking he's maybe matured a lot (he's only 23 isn't he?), and the back is now in good shape. I was frankly a little shocked at how much he gushed over Cordell helping get him up to speed. This team is something else, and it's rubbing off on every one of them. Even one of our favorite whipping boys. New Dey indeed.

His short answers and brevity was always a thing with him (remember his interviews around him being drafted), but one needs to WATCH him when Lapham interviews him: he lights up, is smiling and while the answers are still brief, they aren't as brief as when the beat guys talk to him.

I think last year just painted him in a bad light and he was dogged by the press as a result. Thus, all of his, "low effort/laziness," bad attitude, etc., could be that he just doesn't feel comfortable talking to the media.

When talking to Lapham though, a guy who I've never heard bash Carman (he's told it like it is, but not gone out of his way to bash him) and a former lineman, his attitude immediately switched up.

I feel this is a case of what is told/shown to us, is done with an agenda attached (at times) and that has added to the Carman stigma (and he doesn't want to play along with it, so he looks like a cold fish whenever he's interviewed).

Just let the guy go out there and play. He may need to still mature, but he's getting better.

(01-23-2023, 01:19 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I hear you, but Volson played LT in college and made the switch. I wonder if his back injury was the real issue and if he is now healthy.

It is not a knock on Carman, some can do it like Whitt, some can't. I am just thrilled he played great yesterday, hopefully a confidence builder for him. Our RT and RG also played very well yesterday as did our center on a bad knee.

Just a great OL game.

RT, not LT :)

Volson just has skills more-suited to G (slower, not great at kicking out, struggles with lateral movement) but not size/physical traits (he fits anywhere, IMO, save for C), while Carman has physical traits more suited to G (shorter arms, bigger body, super strong), but skills-wise, he's still good for T (good at kicking out, moves decent laterally and read something that his hand usage and the like is fine for T, but not for G).

His problem was always consistency, but he's been quite consistent for 2 straight games now, one against arguably the best D in the NFL.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Reverse that.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Jackson Carman 6'5" #317 32.5" arm length

I stand corrected.
Reply/Quote
Carman done a fine job.Give credit where credit is due.
Reply/Quote

Jackson Carman has 33.25 inch arms.

I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 05:01 PM)Synric Wrote: Jackson Carman has 33.25 inch arms.

I was going off of the NFL draft profile, for both players.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 10:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: WATCH THIS!!!  Great stuff, SP.  The Adeniji pull....Do we think Collins makes that play?  No.  He doesn't have that kind of speed and mobility.  The Chase block on Shaq Lawson....Did I just see Ja'Marr block a 270 lb man so hard he left the ground and didn't give him an inch?  My God, Chase is a beast.  And the Carman "Snow Plow" was awesome.  Dude doesn't lack for strength, that is for sure.

HUGE KUDOS to the Bengals for hiring an additional offensive line coach (forget his name) that was tasked with more time developing the backups during practice as they usually don't get the snaps outside the first team line.  It is apparent that was time and money very well spent.  Also props for Duke swiping Sharping from the Texans PS as they tried to do some clever maneuvering.   

This 2 minutes of film is just outstanding.  

The last segment made me chuckle. 
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 05:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I was going off of the NFL draft profile, for both players.

Yea its just one of those random mistakes that will be on his profile forever.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
In Sunset's defense about sources, sometimes reliable sources post conflicting info. I was chatting on the phone with a buddy in Cincy a few days ago and he was worried about the pass rush dealing with Allen's size and with Henderson's wrist injury. I said that I wasn't worried because he's not much bigger than Burrow. I knew that Allen is 6'5" 237 pounds because it seems that every announcer says it three times in any NFL game, even if the Bills aren't playing. I also knew that Burrow is 6'4" but we both looked up his weight while on the phone. He went to NFL.com, which has Burrow at 215 pounds, but I already had nflreference.com which had him at 221. They're usually pretty accurate, but we sided with the Bengals and NFL.com on this one. I'm thinking NFL.com is current, the other was last year or going into pre-season.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote