Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nice game, Jackson Carman
Carman drove a Raven completely off the field in the wildcard round and played very well (considering the circumstances) yesterday against the Bills. I do not think Jonah would have played any better.

Adeneji played well on the right side too.

If you do not think the OL has good depth watch yesterday's game.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 09:54 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: https://twitter.com/kelseylconway/status/1617505161600966656?s=46&t=Kp_C0QbaWgR030MgYSwUQg

Lawd have mercy!!!!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Carman should have been arrested for abuse of the helpless. He was literally driving people clear off the field of play. Strong man.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really think that the leadership change in the OL room has made the difference, for several of these guys.  Having veterans with winning mindsets goes a long way in making young players more confident, more eager to succeed.

Have to agree with this statement   
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 02:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really think that the leadership change in the OL room has made the difference, for several of these guys.  Having veterans with winning mindsets goes a long way in making young players more confident, more eager to succeed.

Definitely
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but since we have him under contract next year (5th year option), perhaps try Jonah at RT? He may play better not being on the blind side. Or try him at guard (where I think he is built for), but who do you move for him?
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 04:14 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
I know Burrow is getting the ball out faster than just about anyone in the league
right now, but idc, this is still impressive for a 4th round rookie.

Yet there are some here that believe PFF grades are the bible......
Reply/Quote
I finally got to see Lapham's interview with the o-line. Carman was ecstatic talking about getting to play next to Volson, and said he was his favorite person to play football with ever. Called him a total professional. I think these two brutes have developed their own chemistry and decided that next to each other they can just bully about any D line they want to.
Reply/Quote
Was super impressed with Carman this past weekend. Obviously, he has to stack gamedays together.

Carman is an inch taller, and 15 lbs heavier than Jonah. His arms are about an inch shorter, so that evens itself out. But Carman is clearly ready to be nasty. Him driving the Ravens player out to the parking lot and then the block on the Bills lb Sunday was absolute monster stuff.

Jackson Carman also moves much better than Jonah.... who, if I recall, has given up more sacks this season than any other starting Tackle in the league with 12. He gave up 10 last season. Williams isn't trending up and has often been injured.

Full disclosure, I didn't love the Jonah pick when the Bengals selected him in the 1st. So, I am fully aware that I'm eagerly waiting for another player to step into that role and do well. Needless to say, I was bummed when they took his 5th year option. Burrow and this offense deserves better than an avg at best LT.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 12:49 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: The assistant OL coach Derek Frazier obviously has helped.

Good point.  I mentioned that in another thread.  I think the Bengals hiring him and having him focus on developing the guys that aren't getting all the snaps in practice was huge.  
Reply/Quote
Shaq Lawson was a perfect matchup for Jackon Carman for his first start at Tackle. Lawson isnt a guy that's gonna explode off the line and flatten around the edge and that's what we are worried about with Carman. Frank Clarke will be a harder matchup.

Carman had a great game. He kept his head on a swivel and did a nice job with Volson to pick up the twists up front. He even saved Joe Burrow from a QB mistake not recognizing a DB blitz on the Chase TD.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Carman made Angry Runs this morning on Good Morning Football but didn't win the scepter. Still cool to see him featured.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2023, 07:47 PM)M.W. Wrote: Carman drove a Raven completely off the field in the wildcard round and played very well (considering the circumstances) yesterday against the Bills.  I do not think Jonah would have played any better.  

Adeneji played well on the right side too.

If you do not think the OL has good depth watch yesterday's game.

OL has/had great depth and mainly from experience. What was forgotten by so many is that regardless how bad this OL played last year what was more important was NOT making the moment too big and they certainly did not with the number of reps these guys had a year ago. Experience is far more important than just a skill set in this league.

Now, do players need to get better and adjust to what they're not good at (as teams will attack those joints)? Absolutely but being experienced and comfortable out on the field and having a QB trusting you is enormous.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 10:57 AM)higgy100 Wrote: OL has/had great depth and mainly from experience. What was forgotten by so many is that regardless how bad this OL played last year what was more important was NOT making the moment too big and they certainly did not with the number of reps these guys had a year ago. Experience is far more important than just a skill set in this league.

Now, do players need to get better and adjust to what they're not good at (as teams will attack those joints)? Absolutely but being experienced and comfortable out on the field and having a QB trusting you is enormous.

Are you sure about that?  Cedric Ogbuehi has a lot of experience in the NFL, but still has yet to unveil a supremely honed skill set required to be good at his position.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 11:04 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Are you sure about that?  Cedric Ogbuehi has a lot of experience in the NFL, but still has yet to unveil a supremely honed skill set required to be good at his position.

He hasn't even been in Cinci. since 2018. Talking about Cinci. these past couple years.
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Before the season started many were wanting to trade Jackson for peanuts. How mad would we be if we took a late round pick for him and he shined at LT for another team?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The guys got some athleticism, distinctly recall a play where he blocked off the line and then circled left to push block another guy immediately.
He’s got some nasty and I hope like hell him and the big Vol can become a lethal left side for us for a long time.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 10:24 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Was super impressed with Carman this past weekend. Obviously, he has to stack gamedays together.

Carman is an inch taller, and 15 lbs heavier than Jonah. His arms are about an inch shorter, so that evens itself out. But Carman is clearly ready to be nasty. Him driving the Ravens player out to the parking lot and then the block on the Bills lb Sunday was absolute monster stuff.

Jackson Carman also moves much better than Jonah.... who, if I recall, has given up more sacks this season than any other starting Tackle in the league with 12. He gave up 10 last season. Williams isn't trending up and has often been injured.

Full disclosure, I didn't love the Jonah pick when the Bengals selected him in the 1st. So, I am fully aware that I'm eagerly waiting for another player to step into that role and do well. Needless to say, I was bummed when they took his 5th year option. Burrow and this offense deserves better than an avg at best LT.

There’s conflicting reports on his arm length. Pretty sure the shorter measurement was the wrong one.

Reply/Quote
(01-24-2023, 10:24 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Was super impressed with Carman this past weekend. Obviously, he has to stack gamedays together.

While I kind of agree with your assessment on Jonah, I think this year was the first year he trended downward. PFF wise (whatever that is worth): 70.1 to 77.1 to 61.2. The OL & Burrow were horrid early on, and almost completely predictable by formation. And then Jonah played through a dislocated kneecap. 

When making the call on the 5th year, our other options were Adeniji who looked terrible at guard, Carman, who looked terrible at guard,, and Smith, who has barely played. A big time FA is gonna be pricey and there is no guarantee we could land one. 

Jonah will have next year to prove he is a franchise level LT. Collins will have a year to bounce back to form. And Carman & Adeniji will have another year to improve & challenge them if they falter. Smith or a drafted OT as well. 
Reply/Quote