Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nick Mangold
(02-25-2017, 10:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: That guy is Piano Man.....he lobbied hard for Bodine from what I recall.  Need I say more?

As to the OP......if you're looking to improve this team.....you absolutely make a run at Mangold or Wisniewsky ( jeez I'll have to learn to spell that one ) if you don't.....it shows your priorities.  Telling times we're embarking on.  If they don't look at either of these cats....they're either delsuional about Blodine....or they are just plain cheap.

I feel like I'm beating a  Dead Horse for the 1,000 time. But I strongly feel we're at a crossroads this off season. Our core players aren't exactly in their final years, but in the same breath they aren't getting any younger. It's hard to keep a team together for ever, injuries occur, players leave via free agency, and their output just trails off.

If Mike and Marvin truly do want to win now is the time - period !! They don't have the time to just "build thru the draft".

Sign Z, Whit and Kirk for crying out loud. Cut the dead weight and the loser A. Jones ! And go sign a real FA or two and prove you are trying to win.

It's time
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Makes too much sense as a cut vet that grew up like what an hour away? I'd sign him to start at center and his sister to backup guard.
Reply/Quote
It'd be a fit. But I get the sense they like Bodine. Move him to RG and give him opportunity to replace Z if they don't want to give up on him. Hopefully they are open to upgrading the center position. If not with Mangold, then the draft or another legit free agent.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
No way.. as PFF stated the guy is a shell of himself.. been going downhill for last 4 years... old... and i believe graded lower than our starter now.. so that should answer that question..
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 12:28 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: No way.. as PFF stated  the guy is a shell of himself.. been going downhill for last 4 years... old... and i believe graded lower than our starter now.. so that should answer that question..

Well then sign him as a backup and make Bodine work for it.  Worst case scenario they've got a vet backup.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 06:57 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Please Mike Brown could we sign Mangold, a legit Center? He is from Kettering and I would love to see Dalton get over 2 seconds to throw before pressure comes up the middle.

Do it for Bengals Nation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a Kettering resident I say YES! From the Archbishop Alter Knights to the Ohio State Buckeyes to the Cincinnati Bengals would rock. Nick Mangold is the experienced center the Bengals haven't had since Rich Braham. Besides, there's a salad at a local restaurant named for him.
Reply/Quote
Don't forget that not only did Piano Man lobby for Bodine he also lobbied for and got Eric Ghiacuc. Then there was "Nasty Nate" Livings who was awful at LG, and so on and so on.
Reply/Quote
Even though this is a typical Bengal pickup old/cut/used to be good, all the reasons everyone has mentioned I don't think it will happen. For a few hours there I thought there was no way this guy is NOT a Bengal this year. The more I think about it the less I think they will sign another O lineman that's up there age wise with Whit. The only reason they won't sign Whit has to be his age. They have the money, Whit is the leader of this team. Hope I'm wrong. If we do sign him will next year turn into another AJ Hawk/Dansby/Harrison pick where we ***** about the fact that we just sign old/cut/used to be good players? Maybe that's the question we should be asking ourself. I think he's still an upgrade but are we just fooling ourselves again.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 12:28 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: No way.. as PFF stated  the guy is a shell of himself.. been going downhill for last 4 years... old... and i believe graded lower than our starter now.. so that should answer that question..

Sad, but true.  I would have loved to have Mangold in his prime.  His family is still in Centerville.  His mom was a swimmer at Wright State.  Good people.  But I fear his time as a NFL starter has passed.

Does that mean I stick with Bodine?  Hell, no.  I draft a Center and push for the starting job this year, or at the very least have his replacement next year.  

He had a massive bench press number, but an interior lineman needs to be able to squat a house and have longer arms...that just isn't Russell.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 01:12 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: As a Kettering resident I say YES! From the Archbishop Alter Knights to the Ohio State Buckeyes to the Cincinnati Bengals would rock. Nick Mangold is the experienced center the Bengals haven't had since Rich Braham. Besides, there's a salad at a local restaurant named for him.

Which restaurant?
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 12:51 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Which restaurant?

If I had to bet, I would say Mama Disalvo's...every time I am there, I see his family...
Reply/Quote
As much as I love the idea of either Mangold or Wisznewski, neither will happen. Our shit show of an OLine coach hand picked damn near the worst center in the league. If he's good enough for Alexander, then you know Brown isn't going to move on from him either.

Besides the Bengals approach to free agency, their coach is the biggest issue. We have an OLine coach who hand selects players but cannot coach them up. So we get stuck with poor production until the end of their contracts because Mike Brown does not like having dead money. Then, we stifle young talent and let them waste on the bench because whoever makes the most, plays the most. It gets old hearing about our fantastic depth when the coached keep plodding out the same suck ass starters that should have been replaced already.

IF the Bengals actually decide to move on from Bodine, it will be with a draft pick from this year (cheap) or a player that gets cut next year (cheap + saves comp pick). The reality I see is that Bodine will probably still be here for a couple of more seasons because he can be re-signed (cheap).
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 12:51 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Which restaurant?

Doubleday's.  
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 08:32 PM)Housh Wrote: Let that sink in

We traded UP for Bodine

Someone in the scouting department knew for a FACT Bodine was good lol

I bet that guy still has a job

Seeing as how there are only 6 or 7 scouts, and a couple of them are not full time with the team, then yeah, I'd say they do.  My guess is it was Alexander's annual mid to late round gem of 2014.  Supplementing the coaching staff's duties with a larger scouting load prohibits them from maximizing time spent on working with players to improve their skills.  The FO's aversion to hiring a more robust scouting department is Marge Schott-esque.  But even Marge won a title.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 10:23 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: There is no doubt in my mind that not only will they not go after either of these guys, they will give some kind of lame excuse acknowledging the fact that Bengals fans want them but their system works better. We will get a project center that Alexander loves with a comp pick in the 6th rounds that hangs around somehow for 4 or 5 years without playing.

(02-25-2017, 10:26 PM)Wyche Wrote: It is SO frustrating man.....

Johnathan Luigs, Eric Ghiuichuc, TJ Johnson, is that you??? Ninja
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 01:08 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If I had to bet, I would say Mama Disalvo's...every time I am there, I see his family...

I bet him and Holley can straight up put some lasagna away.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 10:46 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I feel like I'm beating a  Dead Horse for the 1,000 time. But I strongly feel we're at a crossroads this off season. Our core players aren't exactly in their final years, but in the same breath they aren't getting any younger. It's hard to keep a team together for ever, injuries occur, players leave via free agency, and their output just trails off.

If Mike and Marvin truly do want to win now is the time - period !! They don't have the time to just "build thru the draft".

Sign Z, Whit and Kirk for crying out loud. Cut the dead weight and the loser A. Jones ! And go sign a real FA or two and prove you are trying to win.

It's time

Sadly, with 1 year on his contract...I don't think Marvin is going to play a bunch of rookies and young players and develop them. Coaches typically play veterans as they have experience and make less mistakes. Playing young players would be developing them for the next coach.

We won't be rebuilding until we have a bunch of young guys playing.

The core is still intact. I don't think we need a major overhaul. Upgrade at Center. Bring in a good RB or LB like Foster in the draft...and I think we can win 10 games.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 03:01 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I bet him and Holley can straight up put some lasagna away.

If you have never had DiSalvo's, you would realize that it is hard NOT to put a ton of it away... ThumbsUp

To be fair, he has siblings of all shapes and sizes.  I give Holly a ton of credit for simply owning who she is and going out there and giving it all she had in football and powerlifting.  
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 03:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Sadly, with 1 year on his contract...I don't think Marvin is going to play a bunch of rookies and young players and develop them. Coaches typically play veterans as they have experience and make less mistakes. Playing young players would be developing them for the next coach.

We won't be rebuilding until we have a bunch of young guys playing.

The core is still intact. I don't think we need a major overhaul. Upgrade at Center. Bring in a good RB or LB like Foster in the draft...and I think we can win 10 games.

He never plays them anyway. He could have 5 years left on his contract and we will still have high picks, and other guys that clearly outperform some starters riding the bench for a couple years. Besides everyone knows Mikey will extend Marvin for another year to avoid the BS lame duck year.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 07:37 PM)Housh Wrote: This is actually the type of deal we make without fail.

But what if for some reason the FO thinks Bodine is good and doesn't feel they need another center?

You mean the same ****heads (and PA) who thought Ogeebogee was good?
That's scary Sick
Reply/Quote