Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nick Mangold
(02-26-2017, 12:20 AM)jj22 Wrote: It'd be a fit. But I get the sense they like Bodine. Move him to RG and give him opportunity to replace Z if they don't want to give up on him. Hopefully they are open to upgrading the center position. If not with Mangold, then the draft or another legit free agent.

Bodine's weakness(es) would still be there at Guard. Maybe a bit less catastrophic though. Let's ask Andy what he thinks about the situation. LMAO
Reply/Quote
At this point in their careers Bodine is probably a better player than Mangold. So PASSSSS.

We dont need a washed up vet. We need a long term solution at C.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 01:12 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: As a Kettering resident I say YES! From the Archbishop Alter Knights to the Ohio State Buckeyes to the Cincinnati Bengals would rock. Nick Mangold is the experienced center the Bengals haven't had since Rich Braham. Besides, there's a salad at a local restaurant named for him.

(02-26-2017, 12:51 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Which restaurant?

(02-26-2017, 02:43 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Doubleday's.  

One of my good good friends owns Doubledays. He grew up with Nick and AJ Hawk and the 3 are lifelong great friends. I've met Nick a few times. Once in college and a few times when he was in town. Was invited to go to Vegas with my friend, Nick, Mark Sanchez, Steven Jackson, and a few other guys but it was last minute and I couldn't go. I've also played Xbox with him a few times online. All of those guys: Nick, AJ, and my buddy are GREAT guys.

Side note: My friend told me that AJ absolutely LOVED being home and on the Bengals and LOVED Marvin. Spoke very very highly of him.

Not sure if Nick is on the Bengals radar. I would guess not, but it would be another awesome story for Nick and the area. I can't say enough how quality of a person Nick Mangold is.

Both Doubledays locations are outstanding with some of the best food in the area. My friend does a fabulous job, knows the restaurant business, and genuinely cares about the quality of food and that the guests are happy. There's plenty of AJ Hawk and Nick Mangold stuff in their Centerville location.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 07:09 PM)Derrick Wrote: Bodine's weakness(es) would still be there at Guard. Maybe a bit less catastrophic though. Let's ask Andy what he thinks about the situation. LMAO

Moving to G may help.  He wouldn't have to worry about line calls and since he wouldn't have to worry about snapping the ball, he could concentrate on firing out or sinking his anchor.  Plus, he wouldn't have the massive 3-4 NT's he struggles so much with lined up directly over him.  He could be a serviceable starter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 07:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: Moving to G may help.  He wouldn't have to worry about line calls and since he wouldn't have to worry about snapping the ball, he could concentrate on firing out or sinking his anchor.  Plus, he wouldn't have the massive 3-4 NT's he struggles so much with lined up directly over him.  He could be a serviceable starter.

Same way i feel. As much as we don't like Bodine at Center he could be a decent backup Guard at the very least.

He isn't weak, he just has shorter arms for a Center and like you said struggles against big NT's and snaps the ball low.

This would take away his shortcomings.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 04:08 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you have never had DiSalvo's, you would realize that it is hard NOT to put a ton of it away... ThumbsUp

To be fair, he has siblings of all shapes and sizes.  I give Holly a ton of credit for simply owning who she is and going out there and giving it all she had in football and powerlifting.  

If anyone has ever had a pizza from Marions then you would know that NY and Chicago style pizza can suck it!!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 07:37 PM)PDub80 Wrote: One of my good good friends owns Doubledays. He grew up with Nick and AJ Hawk and the 3 are lifelong great friends. I've met Nick a few times. Once in college and a few times when he was in town. Was invited to go to Vegas with my friend, Nick, Mark Sanchez, Steven Jackson, and a few other guys but it was last minute and I couldn't go. I've also played Xbox with him a few times online. All of those guys: Nick, AJ, and my buddy are GREAT guys.

Side note: My friend told me that AJ absolutely LOVED being home and on the Bengals and LOVED Marvin. Spoke very very highly of him.

Not sure if Nick is on the Bengals radar. I would guess not, but it would be another awesome story for Nick and the area. I can't say enough how quality of a person Nick Mangold is.

Both Doubledays locations are outstanding with some of the best food in the area. My friend does a fabulous job, knows the restaurant business, and genuinely cares about the quality of food and that the guests are happy. There's plenty of AJ Hawk and Nick Mangold stuff in their Centerville location.

Mrs. Fan_in_Kettering loves their potato pasta soup -- but that's too many carbs for me.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 08:51 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: If anyone has ever had a pizza from Marions then you would know that NY and Chicago style pizza can suck it!!!!

Amen -- Avogadro's Number times!
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 07:15 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: At this point in their careers Bodine is probably a better player than Mangold. So PASSSSS.

We dont need a washed up vet. We need a long term solution at C.

Mangold has forgotten more about how to play C than Bodine will ever know. He is still better right now also.

As for long term solution, we still have to draft someone anyway, might as well have someone who knows how to play the position show him.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 12:36 AM)phil413 Wrote: Well then sign him as a backup and make Bodine work for it.  Worst case scenario they've got a vet backup.

we already have a backup.. waste of money.. spend it better somewhere else
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 09:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: we already have a backup.. waste of money.. spend it better somewhere else

That is just it. They wont spend it. Say they are saving it for future contracts and then not re-sign them
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 09:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: we already have a backup.. waste of money.. spend it better somewhere else

Mangold on one leg at 50 years old is better than Blodine......and that back up you speak of can't even supplant THAT turd.  If it's Wisnewski (sp?), then so be it.  Get some damn body that can friggin block up the middle and snap the damn ball consistently.  I'm tired of watching pockets shaped the exact opposite of how they should be because Blodine is getting his ass handed to him.....and take that turd position coach with him.  GTHO outta town.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 08:51 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: If anyone has ever had a pizza from Marions then you would know that NY and Chicago style pizza can suck it!!!!

Had many a pie from Marion's.....makes trips to the inlaws worth it. Tongue

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 09:10 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Mangold has forgotten more about how to play C than Bodine will ever know. He is still better right now also.

As for long term solution, we still have to draft someone anyway, might as well have someone who knows how to play the position show him.

Exactly, because we know Ludwig Van can't teach anyone for shit.....his own handpicked proteges are utter failures.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 07:53 PM)Whatever Wrote: Moving to G may help.  He wouldn't have to worry about line calls and since he wouldn't have to worry about snapping the ball, he could concentrate on firing out or sinking his anchor.  Plus, he wouldn't have the massive 3-4 NT's he struggles so much with lined up directly over him.  He could be a serviceable starter.

Nasty Nate "Ole`" Livings 2.0. Mellow

Reply/Quote
I'll drive to NYC to pick him up, make it happen!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 04:08 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you have never had DiSalvo's, you would realize that it is hard NOT to put a ton of it away... ThumbsUp

To be fair, he has siblings of all shapes and sizes.  I give Holly a ton of credit for simply owning who she is and going out there and giving it all she had in football and powerlifting.  

Oh I'm not knocking her/them at all. My brother played against her and worked for their Dad in some capacity for a little while.

I'm just sayin the food wouldn't stand a chance. You need a lot of calories to be an Olympian power lifter.
Reply/Quote
Fun to discuss but there is no chance this happens. Look at our OL. There is no way the team feels comfortable with Og and Fisher. Whit and Zeitler might be going somewhere else. That means Boling and Bodine are the only "sure things". Scary really.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 11:58 AM)BleedNOrange Wrote: Fun to discuss but there is no chance this happens.  Look at our OL.  There is no way the team feels comfortable with Og and Fisher.  Whit and Zeitler might be going somewhere else.  That means Boling and Bodine are the only "sure things".  Scary really.

What the Bengals do will give us a window into how they feel the upcoming season will go:

1 ) Are they happy with Bodine? We see he grades terrible. We know he needs to go...but I've yet to see an indication from the team that Center needs addressed.
2 ) Are they going to keep one of Whitworth or Zeitler? Seems like a no-brainer to keep one or both, but Zeitler is likely out of their price range. Whitworth will get offers from contenders. IF they let them both go, it signals a rebuild and I doubt that rebuild includes a Center with 11 years of wear and tear on the body.
3 ) Do they think they can compete this year? If they do, Mangold makes a ton of sense.
4 ) Do they think Mangold can still play? He only played in 8 games last year. He was really durable before that, but he's getting old for a Center.
5 ) Do they think they can find a better Center in the draft?
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 10:18 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Mangold on one leg at 50 years old is better than Blodine......and that back up you speak of can't even supplant THAT turd.  If it's Wisnewski (sp?), then so be it.  Get some damn body that can friggin block up the middle and snap the damn ball consistently.  I'm tired of watching pockets shaped the exact opposite of how they should be because Blodine is getting his ass handed to him.....and take that turd position coach with him.  GTHO outta town.....

I don't see any downside to "kicking the tires" on Nick Mangold. His blocking technique has been superb since he anchored the offensive line here at Archbishop Alter High School. I've never met a dumb Alter graduate, either, so it means Nick has some brains.

Speaking of Alter, I attended an Alter-Fairmont game and I'll never forget the Alter field goal kicker nailing one right down the middle of the uprights from over fifty yards out. Even the Fairmont fans stood and clapped.
Reply/Quote