Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nick Mangold
(02-26-2017, 07:37 PM)PDub80 Wrote: One of my good good friends owns Doubledays. He grew up with Nick and AJ Hawk and the 3 are lifelong great friends. I've met Nick a few times. Once in college and a few times when he was in town. Was invited to go to Vegas with my friend, Nick, Mark Sanchez, Steven Jackson, and a few other guys but it was last minute and I couldn't go. I've also played Xbox with him a few times online. All of those guys: Nick, AJ, and my buddy are GREAT guys.

Side note: My friend told me that AJ absolutely LOVED being home and on the Bengals and LOVED Marvin. Spoke very very highly of him.

Not sure if Nick is on the Bengals radar. I would guess not, but it would be another awesome story for Nick and the area. I can't say enough how quality of a person Nick Mangold is.

Both Doubledays locations are outstanding with some of the best food in the area. My friend does a fabulous job, knows the restaurant business, and genuinely cares about the quality of food and that the guests are happy. There's plenty of AJ Hawk and Nick Mangold stuff in their Centerville location.

Given the circumstances, I would bet that he is 100% on the Bengals radar.  He was released and should be a great vet presence in the middle of the line.

At this point,

I'm re-siging Whit, franchising Zeitler and taking 2 interior lineman in the draft so we can let Z walk next year if he needs to.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 09:41 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: we already have a backup.. waste of money.. spend it better somewhere else

No they don't. Johnson is a RFA. Bodine is the only C under contract right now.

Also, Mangold didn't allow a single sack in 2015 and only one QB hit. I can't find the link about his 2016 performance, but I could have sworn I read he also didn't allow a sack in 2016 for the games he played. Even if he's "declining", Mangold is still better than Bodine.

I'd sign Mangold to a two-year deal, as I think he's got that much time left in him. Draft a player this year or next year, as Bodine is not going to improve. He's had three years to improve and is still in the bottom tier in the league in terms of starting centers.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 01:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No they don't. Johnson is a RFA. Bodine is the only C under contract right now.

Also, Mangold didn't allow a single sack in 2015 and only one QB hit. I can't find the link about his 2016 performance, but I could have sworn I read he also didn't allow a sack in 2016 for the games he played. Even if he's "declining", Mangold is still better than Bodine.

I'd sign Mangold to a two-year deal, as I think he's got that much time left in him. Draft a player this year or next year, as Bodine is not going to improve. He's had three years to improve and is still in the bottom tier in the league in terms of starting centers.

I'd be happy with that strategy.
Reply/Quote
Mnagold even if in decline is better than anything we have on the roster for the position
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 10:19 AM)Wyche Wrote: Had many a pie from Marion's.....makes trips to the inlaws worth it. Tongue

Yeah no doubt. Tastes so good with beer. Most pizza does but there is just something different about it
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 10:18 AM)Wyche Wrote: Mangold on one leg at 50 years old is better than Blodine......and that back up you speak of can't even supplant THAT turd.  If it's Wisnewski (sp?), then so be it.  Get some damn body that can friggin block up the middle and snap the damn ball consistently.  I'm tired of watching pockets shaped the exact opposite of how they should be because Blodine is getting his ass handed to him.....and take that turd position coach with him.  GTHO outta town.....

You speak what every logical Bengals fan thinks
Reply/Quote
I would take saturday over bodine.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 10:38 PM)Jpoore Wrote: I would take saturday over bodine.

Bodine was built for Saturdays not Sundays!!!
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 01:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: No they don't. Johnson is a RFA. Bodine is the only C under contract right now.

They can match any offer for Johnson, so he is still on the team.. Mangold graded lower than Bodine last year in his play.. on a down hill spiral.. i don;t want to overpay for a old veteran whose performance is suspect.. if you are to pay and replace at least get someone that is performing at a better level than what you have for the right cost. 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: They can match any offer for Johnson, so he is still on the team.. Mangold graded lower than Bodine last year in his play.. on a down hill spiral.. i don;t want to overpay for a old veteran whose performance is suspect.. if you are to pay and replace at least get someone that is performing at a better level than what you have for the right cost. 

Where is this grade? I don't pay for anything like PFF premium or anything so I haven't been able to find any 2016 grades for centers. Also, what is the criteria for grades for centers? Did Bodine grade better than Mangold simply because he played more games? Or did Mangold really allow that many pressures and was that much worse in the run game?

(And no, I'm not trying to be a tool for asking this. I genuinely want to know because I can't find the info myself)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Where is this grade? I don't pay for anything like PFF premium or anything so I haven't been able to find any 2016 grades for centers. Also, what is the criteria for grades for centers? Did Bodine grade better than Mangold simply because he played more games? Or did Mangold really allow that many pressures and was that much worse in the run game?

(And no, I'm not trying to be a tool for asking this. I genuinely want to know because I can't find the info myself)

Those are good questions, and I'd also add that he may have been playing injured the 8 games he did play in, which could have had a bearing on his score. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 01:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Where is this grade? I don't pay for anything like PFF premium or anything so I haven't been able to find any 2016 grades for centers. Also, what is the criteria for grades for centers? Did Bodine grade better than Mangold simply because he played more games? Or did Mangold really allow that many pressures and was that much worse in the run game?

Well just the year before Mangold rated 10 spots higher than Bodine so that guy is nuts. 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 04:36 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Well just the year before Mangold rated 10 spots higher than Bodine so that guy is nuts. 

That kind of gets into the whole discussion of Mangold. If he in fact was below Bodine in performance in 2016, is that due to a continuing trend (downward spiral) or just an anomaly?

I'd take the gamble that's it was just an anomaly (if true at all), sign Mangold to a 2-year deal, and demote Bodine.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I saw it in a article from PFF.. they mentioned he has been on a down spiral and injuries and bad play last year is part of his release.. I still take Bodine over him... i think we can send our money better than on a 33 yr old.. that will probably still be a backup... 
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 10:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I saw it in a article from PFF.. they mentioned he has been on a down spiral and injuries and bad play last year is part of his release.. I still take Bodine over him... i think we can send our money better than on a 33 yr old.. that will probably still be a backup... 

All they can do is bring him in for a workout, and give him a physical.  If ankles were the primary injuries, it should be relatively easy to design a workout to determine if they are fully healed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 09:38 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: All they can do is bring him in for a workout, and give him a physical.  If ankles were the primary injuries, it should be relatively easy to design a workout to determine if they are fully healed.

I personally don't see anyone, save for one or two guys, riding the pine to Blodine.  He's THAT bad.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-28-2017, 03:20 AM)bengalhoel Wrote: Bodine was built for Saturdays not Sundays!!!

Assuming sarcasm but in case not i was talking about jeff saturday. I woukd take him over bodine
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 10:22 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Assuming sarcasm but in case not i was talking about jeff saturday.  I woukd take him over bodine

Yeah, just trying to be funny and not succeeding. I am the Mike Brown of comedy!
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2017, 02:23 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yeah, just trying to be funny and not succeeding. I am the Mike Brown of comedy!

no it was funny and true. He iant built to play on sundays
Reply/Quote
Seeing as Bodine allowed constant pressure up the middle, was useless in the run game and also had constant issues just snapping the ball correctly I don't trust any "grading" claiming that Mangold was worse.

This is just the latest exploit from Piano Man. Generally he's okay at working with tackles (Og being the exception so far) but his track record on interior linemen and particularly on Centers is pretty bad.
Reply/Quote