Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No 1 Need in 2022 Draft
(10-03-2021, 03:11 AM)Sanforbd Wrote: First round? Please not a
Center. Tell me the last time the Pats spent first round draft capital on a center.

Also…. Remember how this went last time?!!

Who cares about the Pats? They’re barely even relevant anymore.

But anyway, a guy like Frank Ragnow (the C we actually wanted) was absolutely worth a 1st round pick.

And you can play the “look what happened last time” card with almost any position. Thankfully we didn’t use that mentality when it came to drafting a WR in the top 10 just because of Ross. We would have missed out on a total stud in Chase.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Running Back.

Center

Guard.

Linebacker.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 02:28 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Running Back.

Center

Guard.

Linebacker.

RB in the 1st? Please no. And I completely disagree LB is a top need. Logan Wilson is looking like a Pro Bowler, ADG has a ton of potential, Pratt is at least solid, and then we have Bailey, who we haven’t even seen enough of yet to really know what we have in him.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 02:40 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: RB in the 1st? Please no. And I completely disagree LB is a top need. Logan Wilson is looking like a Pro Bowler, ADG has a ton of potential, Pratt is at least solid, and then we have Bailey, who we haven’t even seen enough of yet to really know what we have in him.

If you can get a potential gamechanger and pick later in the draft, you pull the trigger on a 1st rd RB. 

D line is fine if we keep the same people on 1 year contracts this year. Getting another above average LB with this secondary? Bruh.
Reply/Quote
First round? OL.
Second round? OL.
Third round? OL.

Free agency? OL.

We're potentially losing a tackle at the end of the season which leaves us with one who has an injury history. We need to upgrade our guards and our center. And that's not even addressing the depth issue.

It's looking like we're getting back to drafting better, which is great. But we've got a long way to go before we get that line back to being a decent unit.
Reply/Quote
Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa is the top ranked Center at this point.
His highlight video is pretty impressive.
Reply/Quote
Offensive line and secondary.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 03:24 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa is the top ranked Center at this poin.
His highlight video is pretty impressive.

Yes please. Iowa puts out the best O-linemen in the country.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 02:46 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: If you can get a potential gamechanger and pick later in the draft, you pull the trigger on a 1st rd RB. 

D line is fine if we keep the same people on 1 year contracts this year. Getting another above average LB with this secondary? Bruh.

How can you say something like that and with a straight face, call yourself a fan or knowledgeable about this team?

I seriously think you just troll to death.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 03:39 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: How can you say something like that and with a straight face, call yourself a fan or knowledgeable about this team?

I seriously think you just troll to death.

Okay fine man. Let's keep running on Mixon for 6 games/year.
Reply/Quote
Well, it is gonna depend on where we pick & what we do in FA. I'd say the biggest needs remain:

1) OL. Center for sure. There is a highly rated guy from Iowa. Beyond him, I do not think there is a first round worthy pick. Reiff has been good, but is a FA, so a tackle could be needed. At guard, we'll see how Carman does, and Spain has been good, but he is a FA as well. C. Possibly RT and G. We can save $6 mil by cutting Hopkins. $3 mil for XSF. Considering the importance I place on Burrow, I'd be inclined to cut XSF/Hopkins, take that $$ & pay some combo of Reiff/Spain, or another proven OT/G 8n FA, and draft the kid from Iowa to play C.

2) Shutdown corner. Though playing a ton of zone, it might not be AS critical. And I'd like to see how Waynes does the rest of the year. He is $5 mil of dead cap if cut, but makes $16 mil. Again, have to see how things shake out with Waynes. If we pick late, not sure this is an option.

3) DT. Ogunjobi, Tupou, and BJ Hill are all FAs. Reader & Shelvin are NTs. A 3T might be needed. Though 5here is often good value here in rounds 2-4.

4) Safety. Bates & Allen are FAs. If we lock Bates up, not as much.

5) LB. Pratt & ADG have been better, but a stud next to Wilson might be fun.

6) TE. Beyond CJ, we don't have much.

7) RB. A backup/successor to Mixon. Bigger back/Perine upgrade.

8) WR. A quick, jitterbug KR/PR type who can backup Boyd in the slot. Or another speed guy hesides Chase. Not in the first or second, though.

9) DE. I am assuming Ossai ends up OK.
Reply/Quote
We go BPA in the 1st, no matter what position it is (except QB)
In the 2nd & 3rd rounds we get a Centre and a RT depending if Reiff stays then BPA with the rest of the draft
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 09:53 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The last thing the Bengals need is a first round RB. The value just isn’t there.

True, but the point of picking much later than recent history is real....That is why I said LB for depth and developmental talent.  If they are picking at the end of Rd 1, it will be the 5th or 6th best CB or OT.  

I actually really like what we have in D'Ante Smith, and one guy that has played a few snaps and graded out VERY well (which is a total surprise to me) is Isiah Prince.  Don't forget they also have Adeniji.  

Sure, if the talent is there I will add to the offensive line and maybe a top flight center is there as well.  I have no idea how they feel about Hill other than they were willing to let Price go before Hopkins even took a snap.  

With respect to Hopkins, he has played pretty well and I think will only get better as he gets back 100% from the injury.  
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 09:20 PM)Synric Wrote: Offensive Line. Center is struggling but RT and LG are free agents. Not to mention 3Ts are both free agents.

All of these are needs until they sign people before the draft, yes.
Also CB could be if Waynes doesn't get to the level he's being paid for.
TE could also be a big need if Uzomah isn't re-signed. I think he'll re-sign though if offered.
Safety too if Bates leaves.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 09:07 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Cornerback.

Thoughts?

It is way too early for this discussion. We have no idea how the team looks in April of 2022.

1. Does Reiff play well and stay healthy and we sign him to a new contract?
2. Does Carman develop?
3. Do we sign anyone in FA to fix weaknesses?
4. Do we have long term injuries of concern to worry about in 2022?

Just too many variables to have an idea of what we will need.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I was looking back at our previous drafts and, I hadn't thought about it until I actually saw it on paper, but the Bengals haven't drafted a cornerback with a selection higher than the 5th round since 2016, when we selected WJIII in the first round.

And, granted, that was the 3rd of 3 first round picks the Bengals had spent on cornerbacks in a 5 year span, but all three of those guys are gone now (and only 1 really ever lived up to his billing as a 1st round corner anyway, before he promptly left as soon as he could).

I would really like to see the Bengals draft a cornerback in the 2nd round this coming year. I still think the first round should be dedicated to replacing Spain, Hopkins or Reiff though(Reiff and Spain are free agents and all 3 are getting older. Hopkins may still be recovering from his injury or he may just be washed.)
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2021, 09:17 PM)jason Wrote: Yep... Hopkins has gotten by for years just by being the shiniest turd on the O line. With improvements all around him, we can see that he's not so good.

takes a while for big guys to get 100% off leg injuries.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2021, 09:54 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is way too early for this discussion. We have no idea how the team looks in April of 2022.

1. Does Reiff play well and stay healthy and we sign him to a new contract?
2. Does Carman develop?
3. Do we sign anyone in FA to fix weaknesses?
4. Do we have long term injuries of concern to worry about in 2022?

Just too many variables to have an idea of what we will need.

Right OL still a need with Reiff a 1 year rental.  You could slide Carman outside or just draft a tackle if hes playing well at OG.

too early to know who needs replaced... Most likely be replacing someone we lose in Free Agency
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2021, 02:28 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Running Back.

Center

Guard.

Linebacker.

Why RB or LB?

Wilson is playing really well, and Pratt is solid too. Pratt is still under contract through next year and Wilson through 2023.
As for RB, Mixon is 3rd in the league in rushing behind only Henry and Chubb. He's also under contract through 2024.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
For RT, everyone's forgetting that D'Ante Smith is essentially redshirting this year.

I don't see him NOT starting in 2022, either at LG or RT, but have a strong feeling it will be RT (those arms).

As I've said on Twitter, right now, I'm all in Sauce, Stingley or a C (Linderbaum works for me), depending on where we end up drafting (and I don't think we'll be high-enough for Stingley, unless we trade up).

For the Gs, my picks are one of the LSU Gs, Munford or Bruss from Wisconsin, if they come out.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote