Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
No Back-Up QB on The Roster AT THIS TIME
Ok, Bengals dropping Allen has already been posted. Yet the day before they cut Browning and the next day put him on the Practice Squad. This leaves just Joe Burrow to suit up for Steelers and you Know they won't be that stupid.

Now the Bengals picked up a Guard, a TE and a DT cut from other teams. Maybe Bengals are making Salary Cap moves to make these Add Ons, or not.

Now they could just move Browning up from Practice Squad. They would still need a QB on the Practice Squad.

No matter how you look at it, Bengals have to add a QB now. Does Allen come right back as Browning did, or are the Bengals looking at a QB that now has no team and would make a great back-up to Burrow. Or do they just bring in anybody as 3rd string practice squad on the cheap to make money room for other players.

The Bengals are indeed making many moves as teams cut players, so there may be kind of a Big Name QB surprise coming as Burrows Back-Up. I have no problem with them promoting Browning ton suit up against Steelers but they would still have to add a #3 QB to the practice squad in case of injuries.

The Bengals will NOT suit up only one QB to take on Steelers. More Bengals Moves are Coming.

PS : I do not see Bengals changing the starting LG, and also adding a G, DT , TE, and also dropping Browning one day and bringing him back the next day and dropping Allen as BENGALS confused and in trouble. NO, I see this as a Super Bowl team trying to get even better as they use teams now cutting players as Free Agency Round 2. This Front Office has Changed. That they made the moves needed to Win in The Play-Offs for first time in 30 years. That they even sold Stadium Name Advertising taking Paul Browns name off, but bringing in more Money to improve the team as just about every NFL team does. The Paul Brown Stadium move shows THIS is a whole new Front Office on doing things. After 30 years of losing, it was more than needed. So Bengals being more ACTIVE during player cuts before season to me is not Panic, but just The New and Improved way of doing things, as Super Bowl season shows
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
...They are resigning Allen once they move their guys to IR today. They have basically already said it was just a procedural move to make room on the roster. You probably should have read the Brandon Allen thread.
Reply/Quote
Relax. Players are soon to be moved to IR which allows Allen to be signed back.
Reply/Quote
I think they are just waiting for a few players to clear to the IR. This is just roster management nonsense right now. If a player is kept on the final 53 man roster, they can be put on the IR to return list after 4 games. If you IR a player before the 53 man roster cut down, they are unavailable for the entire year.

If I had to guess, they chose to release Michael Thomas and Brandon Allen because they're veterans who are not subject to waivers, so they can't be "stolen" from another team the way a young player like Kendrick Pryor (who was prepared to join our practice squad before JAX claimed him) can.

They almost certainly have a verbal agreement with the Thomas's and Allen that, once the players that are injured clear to the IR, they'll be re-signed.

The players I think we're looking at putting on the IR are Khalid Kareem, Cam Taylor-Britt and perhaps Isaiah Prince. Wilcox is a possibility too.
Reply/Quote
I’m not going to read the gigantic wall of text, Kevin. Brandon Allen is coming back, the team already announced this.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:09 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think they are just waiting for a few players to clear to the IR. This is just roster management nonsense right now. If a player is kept on the final 53 man roster, they can be put on the IR to return list after 4 games. If you IR a player before the 53 man roster cut down, they are unavailable for the entire year.

If I had to guess, they chose to release Michael Thomas and Brandon Allen because they're veterans who are not subject to waivers, so they can't be "stolen" from another team the way a young player like Kendrick Pryor (who was prepared to join our practice squad before JAX claimed him) can.

They almost certainly have a verbal agreement with the Thomas's and Allen that, once the players that are injured clear to the IR, they'll be re-signed.

The players I think we're looking at putting on the IR are Khalid Kareem, Cam Taylor-Britt and perhaps Isaiah Prince.

But don't rule out that Browning beat Allen out of his job.  Or that some other QB could be coming to Cincy.  But you could be right and Allen gets resigned after being cut.   As of now Burrow is the only QB to suit up against Steelers, so we know Bengals are going to make some kind of move.  Even if they promote Browning, they will need to need to add a practice squad QB.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Tell me you don't understand how the new IR rules work without telling me you don't know how the new IR rules work.

:)
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:16 AM)kevin Wrote: But don't rule out that Browning beat Allen out of his job.  Or that some other QB could be coming to Cincy.  But you could be right and Allen gets resigned after being cut.   As of now Burrow is the only QB to suit up against Steelers, so we know Bengals are going to make some kind of move.  Even if they promote Browning, they will need to need to add a practice squad QB.

They wouldn't have signed Browning to the practice squad if they were going to have him be the primary backup at QB.

Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Drew Plitt anxiously looks at phone..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
:lol:

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:33 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Drew Plitt anxiously looks at phone..

"Hey, Drew, why do you keep looking at your phone?"

"What? Oh, hey, guys, ha ha. I'm ... uhhh ... I'm just playin' some Flappy Bird over here. That's all. Ha ha."
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I'm with you Kevin but Allen is coming back.
Reply/Quote
Still…if I were Allen, I’d have to be a bit nervous. As of right now, he is not part of any team and in limbo. HE has to be thinking, “what if another QB they like a lot better ends up being cut?”

Think of it, your boss tells you that for the next few days, you will not be employed so they could hire other people.
But, come back Friday and things will work out. Uh-huh!

As far as salary dumps, if they were worried about that, Huber would be gone and Chrismann would be the Punter.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:42 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Still…if I were Allen, I’d have to be a bit nervous.  As of right now, he is not part of any team and in limbo.  HE has to be thinking, “what if another QB they like a lot better ends up being cut?”

Think of it, your boss tells you that for the next few days, you will not be employed so they could hire other people.  
But, come back Friday and things will work out.  Uh-huh!

As far as salary dumps, if they were worried about that, Huber would be gone and Chrismann would be the Punter.

Cuts are done. Allen is coming back, guys. 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:29 AM)PhilHos Wrote: They wouldn't have signed Browning to the practice squad if they were going to have him be the primary backup at QB.

Rolleyes

true that

Joe likes Brandon's presence on the sideline as his backup. He likes the feedback he gets from him and how he communicates.   If heaven forbid, he gets injured, Brandon replaces him FOR THAT GAME.  There is zero guarantees that Brandon would actually be the long-term backup if Joe couldn't go.  The PS rules give them the flexibility to keep Brandon as the game day back up and Browning as a potential longer term back up

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Wall of Text crits you for 9000
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:59 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Cuts are done. Allen is coming back, guys. 

That's what most think.  But, unless you're with the team, you are unemployed.  Lots can happen in 48 hours.  What if there was a split decision among the Bengals powers that be as to who might be better for the team as a back up QB?  One side convinced the others to go in a different direction?

I know I'm playing devil's advocate here.  But, strange things happen when trying to put together an NFL football team.

See Alex Leatherwood, Laquan Treadwell or Josh Gordon..among others.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 12:42 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: That's what most think.  But, unless you're with the team, you are unemployed.  Lots can happen in 48 hours.  What if there was a split decision among the Bengals powers that be as to who might be better for the team as a back up QB?  One side convinced the others to go in a different direction?

I know I'm playing devil's advocate here.  But, strange things happen when trying to put together an NFL football team.

Seriously? Allen will be back on the roster.  Leatherwood and Gordon were not strange surprises, the entire world followed their pitfalls and issues for a long time...

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:59 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Cuts are done. Allen is coming back, guys. 

That's what most think.  But, unless you're with the team, you are unemployed.  Lots can happen in 48 hours.  What if there was a split decision among the Bengals powers that be as to who might be better for the team as a back up QB?  One side convinced the others to go in a different direction?

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 12:42 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: That's what most think.  But, unless you're with the team, you are unemployed.  Lots can happen in 48 hours.  What if there was a split decision among the Bengals powers that be as to who might be better for the team as a back up QB?  One side convinced the others to go in a different direction?

I get that you're trying to employ a thinking exercise here, but Allen is coming back. There is nothing to suggest otherwise, other than "weird things can happen." Who knows, maybe Burrow will retire today, citing the fact that he has lost desire to play football. And then, maybe, he will go play baseball. And THEN, maybe, he will come back a few years down the road. I do get what you are trying to say, though. We aren't with the team, so we can't really know, but there is no reason to think that they have actually cut him for real. 

Anyways, Brandon Allen will be QB2. Lol. Leatherwood, Treadwell and Gordon are not really comparable. Leatherwood was a historically bad starter, Treadwell was so bad he couldn't get on the field and Gordon was a drug addict. Allen is just a QB2. 
Reply/Quote