Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volson name starting LG
(09-02-2022, 10:37 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: If someone is going to call that nonplussed, then I wonder what they think of Burrow's reaction. Completely low energy, barely a smile. Of course, we know that this is just how Burrow is, so people will say "yeah, but that is different." He is also a fantastic QB, so people don't even think of this. I'm sure if he sucked, folks would be saying "yep, he just seemed ungrateful from the beginning."

Burrow already knew he was coming here though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 10:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow already knew he was coming here though.

Well, this is kind of my point. That doesn't mean he can't be fired up about it actually happening. Anyways, I don't care about it at all and I get that he is an even-keeled guy and he knew he was coming here, but his reaction is still very stagnant and my point is that if he was bad, I have a gut feeling that there would be people who would bring up that reaction to point out he lacked fire or some stupid shit. 
Reply/Quote
If the bengals really are in win now mode, they start Scharping at LG as soon as they feel he has grasped the playbook.

This isn’t the Cordell Volson show, it’s the Bengals super bowl show
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 12:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: If the bengals really are in win now mode, they start Scharping at LG as soon as they feel he has grasped the playbook.

This isn’t the Cordell Volson show, it’s the Bengals super bowl show

The coaching staff obviously sees things differently than you do.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-confirm-cordell-volson-wins-starting-lg-job/ar-AA11ou8o?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e5d2465b440d458eafd328b14dfdab44

Quote:“He ascended the whole training camp period. He played well, practiced well,” offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “He continually got better. He showed the things we want to see from a starting guard for us. He’s tough, he’s physical, he’s dependable … He’s earned that job

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 12:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The coaching staff obviously sees things differently than you do.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-confirm-cordell-volson-wins-starting-lg-job/ar-AA11ou8o?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e5d2465b440d458eafd328b14dfdab44

That’s because Volson knows the playbook already. Once Scharping catches up, he’ll grab hold of that spot and won’t look back
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 01:26 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: That’s because Volson knows the playbook already. Once Scharping catches up, he’ll grab hold of that spot and won’t look back

If he's all that, then why did Houston let him go?
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 01:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If he's all that, then why did Houston let him go?

They drafted Kenyon Green.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 02:08 PM)Whatever Wrote: They drafted Kenyon Green.

Thankfully. I was nervous he'd slip to us.... 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 02:17 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No offense, but that sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. OL is a position where you need to get 5 guys to gel, and play together as a unit. Rotating players in and out like that would be counterproductive. They need continuity.

(09-02-2022, 08:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Correct. Volson needs all the reps he can get, he is the part of the future of this team if he grows into a solid guard. I suspect we will see Scharping only if Volson struggles.

(09-02-2022, 08:29 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Changing out personnel in the way you describe is a huge tip to the defense as to what is about to happen.  I think that is a bad idea.  OL need to be proficient in both aspect of blocking, if Volson is still developing as a pass protector, then he needs to work harder to bring that facet of his game up to par.  The best way for that to happen is continuity with the players on each side of him.

Yeah, just need Volson to grow as the starter with the great mentors all around him. I think he will.

He will probably struggle early in pass protection but we should help him out and he should improve big time as the 
year goes on. Should start out a bit rough going against Heyward in company but the next 2 games after aren't near
the challenge so he could smooth out in that time while gaining all these much needed reps against NFL starters.

(09-02-2022, 09:54 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I see a kid so happy in that video he is about it tears. Of course he wants to play here, went to the SB his rookie season.

Same thing I saw. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 01:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: If he's all that, then why did Houston let him go?

Not really an argument
Reply/Quote

Well... it's Houston. Not everything they do must necessarily make sense.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 02:44 PM)hollodero Wrote: Well... it's Houston. Not everything they do must necessarily make sense.

Exactly
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 04:21 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Exactly

I am more concerned that we are 31st on the waiver wire and we still got him.

It is one thing for one team (Hou) to make a big mistake on a player.  It is another thing for 30 teams to pass on him after he is released.

But I am still glad we made a move for the O-line. Never expected to find a starter on waivers, so I am satisfied with Scharping for depth.
Reply/Quote

James Harrison says "hi."
Reply/Quote