Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Lou postings.....
(09-20-2021, 02:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great game last night by the way in the 36-35 Ravens win over the Chiefs. 

Funny how the Ravens made the stop when they had to on defense last night, hence getting the victory. And this is against one of the most unstoppable offenses in the NFL.

So yeah, the Bengals defense did some good things yesterday for sure but they also whiffed in places too and at the end didn't do enough. If they made the stop and gave the offense a chance we could've been 2-0, but we will never know. 

Alot of attention and money was put in this defense offseason, ALOT.... I expect the stops to be made from a very good defense against a very mediocre offense in these situations.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 02:39 PM)GodFather Wrote: Funny how the Ravens made the stop when they had to on defense last night, hence getting the victory. And this is against one of the most unstoppable offenses in the NFL.

So yeah, the Bengals defense did some good things yesterday for sure but they also whiffed in places too and at the end didn't do enough. If they made the stop and gave the offense a chance we could've been 2-0, but we will never know. 

Alot of attention and money was put in this defense offseason, ALOT.... I expect the stops to be made from a very good defense against a very mediocre offense in these situations.

I was bitching about a few plays they missed yesterday too but the D played good enough for the win if they would have had any help. 

If Lou gets the blame when they play poorly then he deserves some credit when they play well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 02:39 PM)GodFather Wrote: Funny how the Ravens made the stop when they had to on defense last night, hence getting the victory. And this is against one of the most unstoppable offenses in the NFL.

If we fall on that fumble we win too. I mean our Defense gave us more than one shot, they gave our Offense lots of chances to win.

They got us the win against the Vikings too. Our Offense needs to step it up namely Burrow the RB's in blitz protection and the OL.

Wasn't our Defense's fault we lost against the Bears that is for damn sure.
Reply/Quote
Lou definitely deserves some credit. But we have put a ton of resources towards the defense so the entire organization needs some credit for building the roster. Although almost all of our secondary is a free agent after this year so we'll see how long it lasts. I think this defense is gonna keep alot of games manageable and atleast give the offense a chance. I'm not sure where they finish but in the 10-15 range sounds right. I think when we play those really good offenses that's when we'll get a look at Lou's coaching ability and how he schemes against them.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:42 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The defense looks good so far, but let’s not start any crow eating threads just yet. Dalton was ripping us apart yesterday before the injury, Mooney let a TD go right through his hands in the end zone, and we have some elite QB’s on our schedule. We really haven’t been tested that much so far.

Some of the QB’s we’ll see the rest of the season…

Rodgers
Lamar (x2)
Herbert
Mahomes

If Lou’s defense is still balling out after facing those guys I’ll give him all the props in the world.

100% this...
Reply/Quote
I agree the defense is playing well right now. My gripe from Sunday, defense-wise is the taunting penalty on Bell. I know that may seem knitpicky on my side but it just bugged me. Gotta be smarter than that man, they called it for US, so you gotta know they’re gonna call it for them. Could have gotten off the field there, as I believe that was third down, and we just shoot ourselves in the foot. I know it’s a game of emotions and I love having passionate players, but c’mon man! The BEST way to taunt… is to whoop their ass on the scoreboard!
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 01:16 PM)TJ528 Wrote: However, the argument was the offensive side of the ball didn't need the money invested like the defense so everyone was cool with $200M being invested on the D over the past 2 seasons.  

I guess we now see what happens when you neglect the offensive upgrades neede (IE offensive line) 

We signed a RT this off season, drafted a RG in the 2nd Rd and drafted two other lineman in the draft, and resigned Spain at LG. To say we neglected the offensive line in the off-season is very questionable. Also during the Taylor era all of our 1st and 2nd Rd picks have been on offense.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:24 PM)J24 Wrote: We signed a RT this off season, drafted a RG in the 2nd Rd and drafted two other lineman in the draft, and resigned Spain at LG. To say we neglected the offensive line in the off-season is very questionable. Also during the Taylor era all of our 1st and 2nd Rd picks have been on offense.

J24, okay so neglected may have been strong.  However, so the Bengals give Reiff $7.5M to come in and play right tackle.  Good use of money.  So I mean we still have $12M in cap room but does the Front Office go out and get another OL, no they pocket that money.  

As far as drafting a RG in the 2nd round and 3 more OL in the 4th round.  Would you trust putting any of those 4 OL out there on the field right now?  Frank Pollack sure as hell doesn't because none of them are starting.  

If the Bengals would've been proactive like the Chargers this off season, you wouldn't be seeing Joe Burrow flat on his ass from his OL giving up a sack.  

Hell to go even further with this cheap organization, maybe if they dont cut Gio and ask him to take a pay cut, just maybe we have a RB that'll pick up a damn blitzer. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:31 PM)TJ528 Wrote: J24, okay so neglected may have been strong.  However, so the Bengals give Reiff $7.5M to come in and play right tackle.  Good use of money.  So I mean we still have $12M in cap room but does the Front Office go out and get another OL, no they pocket that money.  

As far as drafting a RG in the 2nd round and 3 more OL in the 4th round.  Would you trust putting any of those 4 OL out there on the field right now?  Frank Pollack sure as hell doesn't because none of them are starting.  

If the Bengals would've been proactive like the Chargers this off season, you wouldn't be seeing Joe Burrow flat on his ass from his OL giving up a sack.  

Hell to go even further with this cheap organization, maybe if they dont cut Gio and ask him to take a pay cut, just maybe we have a RB that'll pick up a damn blitzer. 

I would have cut XSF and Hopkins and signed Zietler(RG) and Lidsney© to replace them. That's what a smart GM would have done . Also I don't think I would have a problem with either Smith or Carmen playing this year.

As for Bernard I think Evans is good enough to replace him they just need to give him snaps.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:31 PM)TJ528 Wrote: J24, okay so neglected may have been strong.  However, so the Bengals give Reiff $7.5M to come in and play right tackle.  Good use of money.  So I mean we still have $12M in cap room but does the Front Office go out and get another OL, no they pocket that money.  

It's funny you post this about the OL because the OP of this thread was waving the poms poms around this offseason about the OL and mocking anyone who questioned it. And here we are again, the poms poms are out after 2 games on the defense... prematurely just like the OL in the offseason. 

Let's take a wait and see approach before we go acclimating how great any unit is doing on this team until it does so consistently. If the defense can stop the Chargers, Chiefs, Browns, Ravens...then it will be well deserved. Against the Bears? Hardly.....
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:39 PM)J24 Wrote:  I would have cut XSF and Hopkins and signed Zietler(RG) and Lidsney© to replace them. That's what a smart GM would have done . Also I don't think I would have a problem with either Smith or Carmen playing this year.

As for Bernard I think Evans is good enough to replace him they just need to give him snaps.

The problem is that Frank Pollack doesn't believe that Evans is good enough to replace Gio. 

I mean should we take the word from the OL coach and Running Game coordinator that everyone called the savior/best acquisition of the off season?   

I mean if Evans was a better option don't you think Pollack would've made him active and deactivated Perine?  Just sayin
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:39 PM)GodFather Wrote: It's funny you post this about the OL because the OP of this thread was waving the poms poms around this offseason about the OL and mocking anyone who questioned it. And here we are again, the poms poms are out after 2 games on the defense... prematurely just like the OL in the offseason. 

Let's take a wait and see approach before we go acclimating how great any unit is doing on this team until it does so consistently. If the defense can stop the Chargers, Chiefs, Browns, Ravens...then it will be well deserved. Against the Bears? Hardly.....

Totally with you.  I like what the D's done through 2 games with the exception of Apple, dumb ass penalties, and 3rd down conversions.  

However, we'll see what they do once we get to the 2nd half of this schedule.

If the Bengals had any chance of being near .500 they had to do it on the front side of this schedule.  I could see this team losing 6 or their last 7games easy. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 01:51 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Dude, we held Montgomery to 61 yards on 20 carries. That's with a rookie QB playing most of the game; that's with the Bears having a significant lead most of the game. That's a helluva job they did.

We win the game yesterday if our offense doesn't wait til 5 minutes left in the game to do something.

Or turn the ball over 4 times..... Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:32 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Board just doesn't seem the same without all the "Lou sucks" posts..... Ninja
Anarumo has his guys to fit his system, who have bought it, and now are a top 10 unit. Good for him....

Not ready to crown them (or him) just yet. 

Unless I was watching the wrong game I watched Andy Dalton pretty much undress our D right up until he got injured running all over us.
Reply/Quote
The defense actually played strong outside a few games down the stretch last year even with the injuries. I was hoping we'd see it elevate of that run and it has, which I think is because of a couple things. Wilson stepping up has really helped, but also the massive talent influx in the middle has really been key to the improved run defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As I said in the other thread, we've looked good against some favorable matchups.  Nicely done so far, but if we can avoid giving the Steelers' offense a "get right" game I'll be more impressed.

Really? Minn has a good offense and our horrible performance on offense with 4 turnovers to give up just 14 points to the Bears by defense is impressive 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: As I said in the other thread, we've looked good against some favorable matchups.  Nicely done so far, but if we can avoid giving the Steelers' offense a "get right" game I'll be more impressed.

although the we let the red beard rip us a new one while he was in. I bet if he finished, they would have easily destroyed us by 20 points 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:27 PM)kalibengal Wrote: although the we let the red beard rip us a new one while he was in. I bet if he finished, they would have easily destroyed us by 20 points 

They actually didn't do much even with Dalton after the 1st drive. They should have gone 3 and out immediately into their second drive but the "taunting" call kept it going and even then it was pretty pedestrian in terms of Dalton. Some penalties on the drive may have made it seem like it but they adjusted well overall after the 1st drive.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 03:39 PM)J24 Wrote:  I would have cut XSF and Hopkins and signed Zietler(RG) and Lidsney© to replace them. That's what a smart GM would have done . Also I don't think I would have a problem with either Smith or Carmen playing this year.

Free agency is a 2 way street. You cant sign a FA who
Doesnt want to play here. The Bengals were interested in Zeitler. But he wasnt interested in the Bengals
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 05:25 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Really? Minn has a good offense and our horrible performance on offense with 4 turnovers to give up just 14 points to the Bears by defense is impressive 

The defense played well, but we also lucked into playing a rookie QB off the bench who didn't have 1st team reps because Dalton, who was playing well against us, was hogging them all.

We will see what Pittsburgh does.  As I said, if we can avoid making their offense look good I'll approve.
Reply/Quote