Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
No O Line Help Is Bad News
My question is what happens if Williams gets injured at left tackle this year? Are we in the same position as last year? I would like more depth along the offensive line.

That said, LB was a big need. I'm glad they picked two. Picking an edge player makes sense. I would like more depth along the oline though. Hopefully the 6th and 7th bring someone with value.. Another edge player couldn't hurt either...

We didn't have enough draft picks to fill all our needs though. Gotta take what you can get.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:49 PM)kevin Wrote: Mike Brown said of Montoya and Zeitler, " Why should I pay a Guard ".  Mike Brown also let Whitworth go.  

Paul Brown understood the need for O Line Blocking.  Mike Brown never has, never will.

So what is happening in this draft is the same old, same old.   As good blockers go off the board, the Mike Brown Bengals still feel they don't need Blocking.  On this, Mike Brown has always been wrong.

This just is not true at all.

Mike Brown made Levi Jones and Willie Anderson the highest paid OT duo in the NFL.  He used the franchise tag bon Stacey Andrews.  He also paid well enough to keep Whitworth and Bobbie Williams here through multiple contracts.

Over the previous 5 drafts the Bengals used 3 first round picks, a second, and a fourth on O-line.

Two years ago Mike traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league.

Don't understand why some fans keep repeating this myth.
Reply/Quote
Possibly 3 new starters on O line this year, and we haven't addressed it? Should we just draft O linemen?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:10 PM)The Real Deal Wrote:

There was marked improvement at the end of the season.

Relax

There was weaker opponents end of season and how Bengals went from no wins to 2 wins.  This O Line against good teams, forget about it. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:02 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'll give you Jonah, but XSF is nothing to write home about.

Which would be a total upgrade from completely terrible. Which is what our OG’s have mostly been since Zeitler and Boling left.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Which would be a total upgrade from completely terrible. Which is what our OG’s have mostly been since Zeitler and Boling left.

It's sounding like XSF is being penciled in at RG to replace Miller. They're basically the same player.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:13 PM)kevin Wrote: There was weaker opponents end of season and how Bengals went from no wins to 2 wins.  This O Line against good teams, forget about it. 

Our defense was a WAY bigger concern than our O-line. We were never going to be able to adress all of our needs this offseason. Like someone else said, you have a healthy Jonah, hopefully Jordan (who I believe is super young) takes a big step, fred johnson can compete and xsf is serviceable. Hart improved tremendously from 2 years ago to last year. Maybe he takes another step. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:17 PM)kevin Wrote: The worst O Line in NFL got no help in Rounds 1 thru 5.  That's not a good thing.

1. Jonah Williams is the new addition to the OL.
2. The team had to fix other areas (QB, WR, & LB).  Mission accomplished.
3.  The entire roster can't be 'fixed' or overhauled in one draft.
Reply/Quote
Jesus. The line improved a TON over the last half of the season, and they add Jonah Williams and XSF. Fred Johnson should be an upgrade at RT.

Andy Dalton was an O- lines worst nightmare. No ability to navigate the pocket and no ability to extend and make plays when things break down. The O- line will be fine with Burrow at QB.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true at all.

Mike Brown made Levi Jones and Willie Anderson the highest paid OT duo in the NFL.  He used the franchise tag bon Stacey Andrews.  He also paid well enough to keep Whitworth and Bobbie Williams here through multiple contracts.

Over the previous 5 drafts the Bengals used 3 first round picks, a second, and a fourth on O-line.

Two years ago Mike traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league.

Don't understand why some fans keep repeating this myth.

On Montoya, Zeitler, in Mike Browns own words, " Why Should I Pay An Offensive Guard ".    Paul Brown knew, not Mike.   So no surprise the still Mike Brown Bengals saw no need to draft O Line when it has been the worst O Line in NFL the last 3 seasons, 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:13 PM)kevin Wrote: There was weaker opponents end of season and how Bengals went from no wins to 2 wins.  This O Line against good teams, forget about it. 
Weaker opponents like he Patriots? Or the fact that all five of the last teams they played had better records? By all measurements, the Bengals were the worst team in all of those games. The OL is not great but did show some pretty good improvement.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Which would be a total upgrade from completely terrible. Which is what our OG’s have mostly been since Zeitler and Boling left.

Miller got paid more in free agency than Su'a-Filo.  Su'a-Filo got cut by the Titans in '17 and has been a back up ever since.

I hope all the talk about how he will be better in our scheme is true, but I don't really see an upgrade at all.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:20 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's sounding like XSF is being penciled in at RG to replace Miller. They're basically the same player.

XSF graded out a little higher last year. Albeit it was less than half the snaps.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:22 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Except for 1st round LT Jonah Williams.

Is he gonna play 3 spots at once?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:35 PM)kevin Wrote: What is a smokescreen is thinking the worst O Line in NFL the last 3 years needed no help.  They got much needed LB Tackling, but they have blown it on not getting any Blocking.  This O Line is a 2 win season O Line that could luck into a 4 win season.  Not many wins with this awful O Line, even if Williams comes on strong there are too many weak areas up front. 
I don't see it the same as you. This isn't the same line as last year.

You can't have high draft picks and award winners at every position.

LT--J Williams...upgrade
LG--XSF...upgrade
C--T Hopkins...solid
RG--M Jordan...trending up
RT--F Johnson...looked decent

I think guys just need to take a breath, step back and realize that the Bengals will draft, pickup and trade for upgrading back-ups...WHO DEY!!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:23 PM)kevin Wrote: On Montoya, Zeitler, in Mike Browns own words, " Why Should I Pay An Offensive Guard ".  

Link?

He paid to keep Bobbie Williams here.  I bet if you see the entire quote it will include something about Zeitler being the highest paid OG in the league.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:25 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Is he gonna play 3 spots at once?

Were we going to fix 3 spots at once? Especially in rounds 2-7?

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:25 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Is he gonna play 3 spots at once?

I think that's a silly question because it suggests the Bengals would have drafted 3 starting OL these last few days.  That's not realistic.  We took the potential franchise QB and needed help at other positions (LB included).
Reply/Quote

Add in Jonah and XFS.

Also The second half of the season Fred Johnson’s pass block grade was 78.4.
The coaching staff did a great job in figuring out the players strengths and playing to them.

Would I have liked to have seen more competition drafted, sure. But It isn’t quite as dire as you see it.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:22 PM)Fullrock Wrote: Andy Dalton was an O- lines worst nightmare. 

This is hilarious considering for years people told me Dalton made the O-line look better with his quick delivery.
Reply/Quote