Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
No O Line Help Is Bad News
(04-25-2020, 04:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Were we going to fix 3 spots at once? Especially in rounds 2-7?

No and I do like the 2 LB’s and I had LB as a bigger need than OL. It doesn’t change the fact that this Oline will still more than likely be really bad. Look at the guard situation. There wasn’t enough picks to fix everything and I’m not knocking the front office this year, they’ve done a great job improving the team. That doesn’t change the fact that the Oline probably will be really bad.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:05 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I'm definitely calling him XSF from now on.  All those apostrophes are a pain to type.  

You think he's worse than what we'll get from a 5th round rookie? How many 4-7 round line man don't pan out each year?
Reply/Quote
Good. At least an OT to start 6, which is like a Pick 5 Blocker, since start of 6.

I don't know if Bengals look at this site, but it was time to raise hell wanting at least a Blocker to start 6. All First Team from Kansas OT, THAT IS GOOD NEWS.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:29 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think that's a silly question because it suggests the Bengals would have drafted 3 starting OL these last few days.  That's not realistic.  We took the potential franchise QB and needed help at other positions (LB included).

How does that suggest drafting 3 starters? He does play 1 of those 3 spots. I’m not knocking the teams strategy as there were many holes to fill. I’m just saying that the guard roster is terrible and that the tackle position as a whole is mediocre at best. I’m not just talking starters but the total rotation.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:35 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Also The second half of the season Fred Johnson’s pass block grade was 78.4.

1.  PFF grades are pretty meaningless.

2.  Johnson played less than a game and a half against two teams that ranked 19th and 32nd in sacks.  All the hype over him is exactly like Christian Westerman.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:35 PM)kevin Wrote: What is a smokescreen is thinking the worst O Line in NFL the last 3 years needed no help.  They got much needed LB Tackling, but they have blown it on not getting any Blocking.  This O Line is a 2 win season O Line that could luck into a 4 win season.  Not many wins with this awful O Line, even if Williams comes on strong there are too many weak areas up front. 

They got help in the 6th. Good pick. Happy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is hilarious considering for years people told me Dalton made the O-line look better with his quick delivery.

You ever watch a game or you just comment blind?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Were we going to fix 3 spots at once? Especially in rounds 2-7?

No and I do like the 2 LB’s and I had LB as a bigger need than OL. It doesn’t change the fact that this Oline will still more than likely be really bad. Look at the guard situation. There wasn’t enough picks to fix everything and I’m not knocking the front office this year, they’ve done a great job improving the team. That doesn’t change the fact that the Oline probably will be really bad.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:17 PM)kevin Wrote: The worst O Line in NFL got no help in Rounds 1 thru 5.  That's not a good thing.

No,  the Dolphins drafted a fair number of offensive linemen. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:25 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Is he gonna play 3 spots at once?

Doesn't have to. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:42 PM)TheSweetness Wrote: You think he's worse than what we'll get from a 5th round rookie? How many 4-7 round line man don't pan out each year?

The draft is a crap shoot.  Ogbeuhi was a failed first round pick, remember?  Fisher was a failed second round pick.  They set us back for years.  There are 6th and 7th round O Linemen starting in the NFL right now.  
Reply/Quote
Let me be happy Smack

Our OL got better at the end of the season. We're adding a first rounder to it (Jonah). We added depth, possibly a starter (XSF).

I disagreed with a lot heading into the draft that we had to have a starter on the line. So far, I'm happy with it.

We got a starting QB. We got a guy who can start at WR, especially if AJ isn't 100%. We got a guy who might start at LB. And outside those first three rounds, who could we have drafted in the fourth or later that would've replaced someone we've already got? Anyone we took after the third was going to be a project.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:49 PM)Fullrock Wrote: You ever watch a game or you just comment blind?

So you are saying Dalton does not get rid of the ball quicker than most QBs in the NFL?

You watched the games and that is what you think?

Want to make a sig bet on it?
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:28 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Were we going to fix 3 spots at once? Especially in rounds 2-7?

Damn.  I forgot all about that rule that if you don't draft 3 O-linemen then you are not allowed to draft any.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you are saying Dalton does not get rid of the ball quicker than most QBs in the NFL?

You watched the games and that is what you think?

Want to make a sig bet on it?

He does have a quick release. I'm not debating that. 

The best QB's have the ability to navigate the pocket to avoid pressure. Dalton had zero of that. Dalton also made very few plays when things broke down. He was content on throwing the ball away rather than looking to make plays down the field in the few instances he was able to escape a breaking down pocket. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  PFF grades are pretty meaningless.

2.  Johnson played less than a game and a half against two teams that ranked 19th and 32nd in sacks.  All the hype over him is exactly like Christian Westerman.

Interesting that more and more NFL teams are using analytics similar to PFF to evaluate guys. It’s ok to be stuck in the past, Fred. But please don’t expect everyone else to stay there with you.

Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:47 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: How does that suggest drafting 3 starters? He does play 1 of those 3 spots. I’m not knocking the teams strategy as there were many holes to fill. I’m just saying that the guard roster is terrible and that the tackle position as a whole is mediocre at best. I’m not just talking starters but the total rotation.

I surmised you were suggesting 3 new players were needed from the draft since you said Jonah can't fill 3 spots at once.  Agreed, the OL still needs work, but that will have to wait.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 05:01 PM)Fullrock Wrote: The best QB's have the ability to navigate the pocket to avoid pressure. Dalton had zero of that. Dalton also made very few plays when things broke down. He was content on throwing the ball away rather than looking to make plays down the field in the few instances he was able to escape a breaking down pocket. 

This just is not true.  Dalton made lots of plays outside the pocket.

This is kind of like the myth that Dalton is the worst at throwing deep or that he gets more balls batted down.  Fans watch highlights of QBs completeing all their deep passes and making a bunch of wild plays outside the pocket.  But if they watched every play of every game they would see a lot of good QBs missing on deep passes, getting their passes batted down at the line of scrimmage or reacting to pressure by throwing the ball away or taking a sack.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 05:03 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: Interesting that more and more NFL teams are using analytics similar to PFF to evaluate guys. It’s ok to be stuck in the past, Fred. But please don’t expect everyone else to stay there with you.

There is a huge difference between using objective stats and PFFs subjective rating system.  I am as in favor of using objective stats and analytics as anyone it is just their rating system is a joke.

If NFL teams had any respect for PFF rankings then their highest rated OT would not have been the 8th one off the board in the third round.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 05:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true.  Dalton made lots of plays outside the pocket.

This is kind of like the myth that Dalton is the worst at throwing deep or that he gets more balls batted down.  Fans watch highlights of QBs completeing all their deep passes and making a bunch of wild plays outside the pocket.  But if they watched every play of every game they would see a lot of good QBs missing on deep passes, getting their passes batted down at the line of scrimmage or reacting to pressure by throwing the ball away or taking a sack.

You are dead wrong. Dalton was one of the worst at making plays when stuff broke down. Period. 
Reply/Quote