Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
No O Line Help Is Bad News
You can sell me on 3/5 of the OL and there's enough talent to find someone to play RG, could be Price for all we know. It would certainly be nice even though I doubt it happens. Hart really is the only blemish on the OL. I know, I know.. his PFF grades from the last half of the season but I am not trusting that. We all saw the SF, Pittsburgh, and Jacksonville games where he got obliterated. I'm not trusting the kid we drafted from Kansas as well but it would not surprise me if he's able to give Hart a run for his money. Now if you were to tell me Hart might move inside to RG, then maybe. It worked for Flowers so it could work for Hart too but I doubt that's in the plan.

I do think it's possible we bring in Jason Peters to play RT as we were linked to him and we let Fred Johnson gain some seasoning at RG. Johnson is apparently a better fit at guard anyway despite playing well at tackle. That scenario would really be nice. And let's keep in mind that Burrow with his ability to escape pressure and move in the pocket means the OL will get some help as they won't have the pressure of playing as flawlessly as they had to with Dalton under center. So I don't think it's a grave situation and Burrow will get killed, but we definitely still need help without a doubt and I hope we use the waiver wire to our advantage when cuts are made.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 11:55 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: I do think it's possible we bring in Jason Peters to play RT as we were linked to him and we let Fred Johnson gain some seasoning at RG. Johnson is apparently a better fit at guard anyway despite playing well at tackle. That scenario would really be nice. And let's keep in mind that Burrow with his ability to escape pressure and move in the pocket means the OL will get some help as they won't have the pressure of playing as flawlessly as they had to with Dalton under center. So I don't think it's a grave situation and Burrow will get killed, but we definitely still need help without a doubt and I hope we use the waiver wire to our advantage when cuts are made.

Jason Peters would be a good option even if for some depth.  Yes he is 38 but so is Whitworth.  It would be nice to have a 9 time Pro Bowl tackle on the team.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This just is not true at all.

Mike Brown made Levi Jones and Willie Anderson the highest paid OT duo in the NFL.  He used the franchise tag bon Stacey Andrews.  He also paid well enough to keep Whitworth and Bobbie Williams here through multiple contracts.

Over the previous 5 drafts the Bengals used 3 first round picks, a second, and a fourth on O-line.

Two years ago Mike traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league.

Don't understand why some fans keep repeating this myth.

And using the franchise tags on Andrews was stupid. I wish you would stop bringing it up.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:13 PM)kevin Wrote:
There was weaker opponents e
nd of season and how Bengals went from no wins to 2 wins.  This O Line against good teams, forget about it. 

Such a BS comment. This the freaking NFL and no such thing as weak competition

Give Hart credit, he improved and was  a solid RT by the end of last year

Johnson showed at minimum he is a good swing LT and RT

Jonah is healthy

Remove any team's starting RT and stud WR for all 16 games and the offense will suffer
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Mike Person or Kelvin Beachum would be solid affordable pickups as well.
Reply/Quote
Looks like Callahan says it will be open competition on the right side of the line. Must mean somebody is already penciled in as the starter at LG. Wonder if it’s Jordan or XSF?
Reply/Quote
?? 

Jonah will solidify the LT spot. 
XSF is better than many seem to think. Jordan should see a leap this year. 

Hopkins is obviously our Center and Hart wasn't too bad. He needs to be upgraded ofc but it wasn't in the cards for the draft this year. 

Hart wasn't the reason the OL was bad So he deserves a bit of a chance. Now next year we can look to improve the OL or anywhere we think. We needed Def help and serious depth. We got that now.
Reply/Quote
DUKE TOBIN SSUCCKKSSS!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 02:10 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Looks like Callahan says it will be open competition on the right side of the line. Must mean somebody is already penciled in as the starter at LG. Wonder if it’s Jordan or XSF?

I think it's Jordan.  They badly want him to be the guy.  He's got the length and work ethic.  He just needs to get a bit more grown man strength to handle NFL d-linemen.  He wasn't intended to be a starter last year and got pressed into action after Boling left and Redmond got suspended.  That's a big learning curve for a player of his caliber.  

Boling was better than him as a rookie, but he still wasn't great.  He also was not intended to be a starter as a rookie.  Travelle Wharton was at the top of the depth chart at LG until he got injured in the preseason.  

I'm hoping that MJ can follow Boling's trajectory.  Clint was excellent once he adjusted to the pro game.  A year of experience and an offseason of a NFL strength program may make Jordan into a guy we can depend on for the foreseeable future.  

I think the right side is XSF's to lose.  I don't see the rookie taking it from him, and I feel like Fred Johnson is a player that they view as an OT for sure.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 04:00 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Jonah Williams will be starting LT.  Xaver Su'a'filo, Guard, was signed in free agency.  I expect we'll add some others next two picks and UDFAs.

You called it. Adiniji has promise. I also like the kid we signed from Iowa State as a UDFA. 

Williams and Suo Filo are already an improvement. We'll be better than last year. I hope that's good enough. 

You gotta give props to Duke, Zac and the coaching staff. I think they really did stick to their board. And we got quite a haul of talent.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2020, 03:58 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: So, bringing in new starters for 1/3 of your Offensive Line to you isn't doing anything for the Line?

Please Please Please stop forgetting that they are basically bringing in another 1st Round Left Tackle Pick to their OL already!!!
A #11 pick with a year of NFL experience, a consummate Pro, who didn't give up a single Sack at LT for ALABAMA his Senior Year.

In Xavier, he was a 2nd round Draft choice with 4 years experience playing with one of the Best rushing teams in the league the last 3 years. He did a heck of a job every time his number was called. Their Rushing numbers were even better when he was in there than before Williams got injured.

Michael Jordan gets the chance to turn a corner with a year under his belt, I've seen his Off season workouts. He should be Improved.

Supposedly, Billy Price is injury free for the first time in an off season and his workouts have been reported as Beastly.

There will be vast improvement to the OL and I'm sure the Bengals coaching staff knows more than we do about the state of their OL than any of us do at this point.

Here’s the thing...XSF isn’t really much better than John Miller. He might actually be worse at RG given he’s played primarily LG.

Jordan may come along but they are putting a lot of faith in someone who was abysmal for most of the season last year to take a big step forward.

Hart could be upgraded too but was better than the OGs.

At this point, it’s mostly about having faith it all works out because it doesn’t look like it will on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2020, 05:06 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: You called it. Adiniji has promise. I also like the kid we signed from Iowa State as a UDFA. 

Williams and Suo Filo are already an improvement. We'll be better than last year. I hope that's good enough. 

You gotta give props to Duke, Zac and the coaching staff. I think they really did stick to their board. And we got quite a haul of talent.

I agree they will be better than last year.  But Zac inherited such a shit show that I think it will take another draft or two to fix it.
Reply/Quote