Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
No seriously, make Roddie White a Bengal
He's a Steve Smith in the making.

Being cut by his beloved franchise. He's enraged. He can channel that rage and at the very least fill the void.

My man crush on Marvin Jones aside guys, this guy could be a steal. Just looking at him in his younger days. So much potential for this offense.
Reply/Quote
He could also be a Laverneus Cole in the making......
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 08:19 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: He could also be a Laverneus Cole in the making......

Laverneus Coles was a mediocre/good #2 in his career.

Roddy White was an All-Pro and one of the better #1 in the NFL at the peak of his career.

Now I am not saying that I want Roddy White, because I don't. I would prefer Boldin if they're going for a short term vet WR. That doesn't change the fact that Coles and White are in vastly different situations.

Plus nobody is going to offer White a 4 year deal like the Bengals did with Coles. Kind of a clown statement to equate a 1-year prove it deal to the Coles deal.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 08:19 AM)Sabretooth Wrote: He could also be a Laverneus Cole in the making......

With that logic... Imagine if the Broncos thought that way after getting Andre Caldwell in free agency.  They wouldn't have got Emmanuel sanders.  And probably wouldn't have won a Super Bowl. 

Hindsight is 20/20 but you need to focus onlooking forward and not backwards. Every team gets burned, it's something you gotta live with - just part of the game.

28m/4 years is completely different than 1-2y on a 2m or 5m deal. The bengals can protect themselves (to an extent) and still try and make this a better football team
Reply/Quote
It's hard to take anything seriously when you misspell Roddy. He's never shown to be close to Steve Smith in demeanor or skill set.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 09:45 AM)Okeana Wrote: It's hard to take anything seriously when you misspell Roddy.  He's never shown to be close to Steve Smith in demeanor or skill set
Seriously? Go do some research.... I went ahead and did it for you. Pretty close in career accolades. Also for a 5 year stretch roddy white was arguable the best WR in the nfl. Has he lost a step? Sure- but don't say he has never been close to Steve smiths skill set. That's laughable.

4× Pro Bowl (2008–2011)
First-team All-Pro (2010)
NFC Receiving Yards Leader (2010)
NFL Receptions Leader (2010)
NFL Alumni Wide Receiver of the Year (2010)
NFC Offensive Player of the Month (October 2010)
Falcons playoff record for receptions in a game (11)
Atlanta Falcons all-time career leader (Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving Touchdowns)
Atlanta Falcons Touchdowns leader (63)

5× Pro Bowl (2001, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2011)
2× First-team All-Pro (2001, 2005)
Second-team All-Pro (2008)
NFC champion (2003)
NFL Receiving Yards Leader (2005)
NFL Receiving Touchdowns Leader (2005)
NFL Receptions Leader (2005)
NFL Alumni Wide Receiver of the Year (2005)
AP NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2005)
PFWA NFL Comeback Player of the Year (2005)
Carolina Panthers all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards, receiving touchdowns, punt return yards and punt return touchdowns
NFC Offensive Player of the Month (October 2005)
Reply/Quote
First, who tf is Roddie?

Second you posted his career accolades like that matters for this season, with that same mindset lets go sign TO or Jerry Rice.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:28 AM)lone bengal Wrote: I don't get what his past accomplishments have to do with type of player he is now. I'll agree he used to be a good player but now he's 34 and had a terrible year last season playing along side one of the best receivers in the game.    Steve Smith was still playing at a high level when the ravens signed him. I would be ok with maybe singing him cheap but my expectations would be low for him.  

I was responding to this....

47 minutes ago 

It's hard to take anything seriously when you misspell Roddy. He's never shown to be close to Steve Smith in demeanor or skill set.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:23 AM)Element Wrote: First, who tf is Roddie?

Second you posted his career accolades like that matters for this season, with that same mindset lets go sign TO or Jerry Rice.

Just for the sake of hypothetical conversation, and ignoring personality and all of that, while Rice's age of 53 is certainly too late, I honestly think that TO could stand a pretty good chance of putting up at least 2015 Sanu numbers (30 catches, 400 yards) coming off his couch right now.

He didn't retire because of performance, he retired because of personality and burning bridges. Don't forget he put up 72 / 983 / 9 (in 14 games) in 2010 with the Bengals as his last year in the NFL. He was 37 then. Think about that, at the age of 37 in a non-full season, he put up a season that would be Marvin Jones' career year. Don't think he could pull off a 2002 Jerry Rice where he put up 1200 yards at the age of 40, but I think TO could get you at least Sanu production.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:23 AM)Element Wrote: First, who tf is Roddie?

Did I ever say we should sign him in that post?  All I was doing was showing he has been as good as Steve smith before.  That's all.  Thanks.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:34 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Just for the sake of hypothetical conversation, and ignoring personality and all of that, while Rice's age of 53 is certainly too late, I honestly think that TO could stand a pretty good chance of putting up at least 2015 Sanu numbers (30 catches, 400 yards) coming off his couch right now.

He didn't retire because of performance, he retired because of personality and burning bridges. Don't forget he put up 72 / 983 / 9 (in 14 games) in 2010 with the Bengals as his last year in the NFL. He was 37 then. Think about that, at the age of 37 in a non-full season, he put up a season that would be Marvin Jones' career year. Don't think he could pull off a 2002 Jerry Rice where he put up 1200 yards at the age of 40, but I think TO could get you at least Sanu production.

30/400/2?

I think he could too.  As could roddy white.  That is not 6.5m per year production
Reply/Quote
Old washed up, and another example of naming people we have heard of rather than actual players who can help.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 11:04 AM)Au165 Wrote: Old washed up, and another example of naming people we have heard of rather than actual players who can help.

So was Terrance Newman... 5 years later he is still starting at cb for min.

Just because a guy isn't a superstar doesn't mean he can't help.  I don't care if it's roddy white or mike Wallace.  We need to replace two receivers production.  I truly believe toddy white could replace sanu for at least a year.  We are not asking everyone to be superstars. 

I said it before, jerricho cotchery is not a great wide receiver.  But he played a valuable part for the panthers.  Owen Daniels is also probably old and washed up in your mind but he also played a valuable part for the Broncos.  

Keep an open mind.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 11:12 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: So was Terrance Newman... 5 years later he is still starting at cb for min.

Just because a guy isn't a superstar doesn't mean he can't help.  I don't care if it's roddy white or mike Wallace.  We need to replace two receivers production.  I truly believe toddy white could replace sanu for at least a year.  We are not asking everyone to be superstars. 

I said it before, jerricho cotchery is not a great wide receiver.  But he played a valuable part for the panthers.  Owen Daniels is also probably old and washed up in your mind but he also played a valuable part for the Broncos.  

Keep an open mind.

Here? In JN?

[Image: Mike_tysons_laughing-12385.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 09:51 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Seriously? Go do some research.... I went ahead and did it for you.  Pretty close in career accolades.  Also for a 5 year stretch roddy white was arguable the best WR in the nfl. Has he lost a step?  Sure- but don't say he  has never been close to Steve smiths skill set.  That's laughable.

4× Pro Bowl (2008–2011)
Atlanta Falcons all-time career leader (Receptions, Receiving Yards, Receiving Touchdowns)

NFC champion (2003)
Carolina Panthers all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards, receiving touchdowns, punt return yards and punt return touchdowns

Lol for all your typing and fandom hasn't addressed what I said.  A skill set isn't stats or results it the style and attitude a receiver plays with and these two players have vastly different skill sets.  If you want a veteran receiver than pick up a guy like Boldin who has proven to be productive and offers something to a team.  I compare White to Chad Johnson in terms of his value late in his career and maybe he can prove me wrong, but I want us to sign talent not names.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 01:09 PM)Okeana Wrote: Lol for all your typing and fandom hasn't addressed what I said.  A skill set isn't stats or results it the style and attitude a receiver plays with and these two players have vastly different skill sets.  If you want a veteran receiver than pick up a guy like Boldin who has proven to be productive and offers something to a team.  I compare White to Chad Johnson in terms of his value late in his career and maybe he can prove me wrong, but I want us to sign talent not names.

an easy way to look at this would be

can roddy white replace sanus production..... Very easily....

Now what price whould RW cost.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 11:12 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: So was Terrance Newman... 5 years later he is still starting at cb for min.

Keep an open mind.

two completely different positions and circumstances.  Your not discussing why White would be different in this circumstance just listing high profile names on winning teams.  Cotchery hasn't had any huge fall off and accepted his role on teams long ago.  Likewise Owen Daniels is putting up similar production as he has in the past and this only accounts for their receiveing stats.  Intangible things like Run blocking also comes into play.  While White may be able to put up similar numbers as sanu as a third receiver does he offer the same option plays as Sanu ?  Who is the better run blocker in our scheme and what effect will switching play books and quarterbacks have on a veteran who declined in a system he was comfortable with.  Your not thinking logically your only pandering to your fandom.

How many of the other free agent and draft receivers have you researched to determine that White is the best option for the team or could it be that you simply know his name.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 01:20 PM)Okeana Wrote: two completely different positions and circumstances.  Your not discussing why White would be different in this circumstance just listing high profile names on winning teams.  Cotchery hasn't had any huge fall off and accepted his role on teams long ago.  Likewise Owen Daniels is putting up similar production as he has in the past and this only accounts for their receiveing stats.  Intangible things like Run blocking also comes into play.  While White may be able to put up similar numbers as sanu as a third receiver does he offer the same option plays as Sanu ?  Who is the better run blocker in our scheme and what effect will switching play books and quarterbacks have on a veteran who declined in a system he was comfortable with.  Your not thinking logically your only pandering to your fandom.

How many of the other free agent and draft receivers have you researched to determine that White is the best option for the team or could it be that you simply know his name.

Clearly you don't read.  I said I don't care if it's roddy white or mike wallace.  I don't care who the bengals pick but we have a WR void. 

They could sign whomever they think will fill the need best.  With that said, white could easily replace sanu production. 

White, colston, Andre Johnson, Kerley, boldin... All similar receivers at route running at this point,  slot possession guys.  It doesn't matter to me.  But white was the topic here because of the OP.  

Who isn't washed up?  Since you seem to know all.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 01:49 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Clearly you don't read.  I said I don't care if it's roddy white or mike wallace.  I don't care who the bengals pick but we have a WR void. 

They could sign whomever they think will fill the need best.  With that said, white could easily replace sanu production. 

White, colston, Andre Johnson, Kerley, boldin... All similar receivers at route running at this point,  slot possession guys.  It doesn't matter to me.  But white was the topic here because of the OP.  

Who isn't washed up?  Since you seem to know all.  

Boldin.  Cheaper than both of your options with better results in his career and his longevity.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 09:51 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Seriously? Go do some research.... I went ahead and did it for you.  Pretty close in career accolades.  Also for a 5 year stretch roddy white was arguable the best WR in the nfl. Has he lost a step?  Sure- but don't say he  has never been close to Steve smiths skill set.  That's laughable.

4× Pro Bowl (2008–2011)

NFC champion (2003)

All valid accomplishments. Any in the last 5 years? His last good year was 2012. He might produce better with less targets, but he isn't the same guys as 10 years ago.
Reply/Quote