Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Nugent will cost us at least 1 game this year
I really don't understand how mike still has a job with us. It has been proven time and time again that you can't count on him. Case in point last night. Now before anyone says " but it's preseason, it doesn't really matter", exactly. Nugent comes in to the first preseason game, absolutely no pressure. and Of course he blows it, and we lose the (albeit preseason) game by a point.

What has to happen for marvin and company to finally move on.
Reply/Quote
It is probably his last year here. He is a FA next year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 01:26 PM)Goalpost Wrote: It is probably his last year here.  He is a FA next year.

It should have been his last year, last year.

We will Lose at least one game, where it comes down to nugent. 

even if he is a FA next year, what if the one game he costs us, is for a playoff spot, or home field advantage in the postseason? what if it is more than one game he blows for us? 
Reply/Quote
I said during the off season that we need to move on from Nugent. He was a good kicker at Ohio State, but about average in the NFL. A field goal last night would have won the game. To me, the kicker is very important to the final outcomes of games.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I had to laugh when the announcers were talking about how he was hitting 50-yarders in warm-ups, and then he promptly misses one under 50 yards.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 01:35 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I said during the off season that we need to move on from Nugent. He was a good kicker at Ohio State, but about average in the NFL. A field goal last night would have won the game. To me, the kicker is very important to the final outcomes of games.

I was serisouly on board using a 6th or 7th round pick on a kicker. Just beyond over nugent 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 01:40 PM)Big Boss Wrote: I had to laugh when the announcers were talking about how he was hitting 50-yarders in warm-ups, and then he promptly misses one under 50 yards.

[Image: nurse-funny-233x300.jpg]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I didn't even realize that he's only had one good season in Cincy, and even 87% isn't amazing. Everything else is in around 80. I doubt they move on from him, but I'd keep an eye on the Saints kicking situation. Barth has had a solid career and Forbath minus last year has put up great numbers. You'd hate to have to mess with chemistry, but if Nuge has a bad preseason you'd have to consider one of those pros over Hocker...the guy the Saints gave up on last year.
Reply/Quote
Besides the Panthers game, I really can't seem to think of a game where Nugent lost us a game or missed a clutch field goal.

I mean, Seahawks game he did great in. Yet no one gives him credit for making a field goal with literally no time on the clock and then kicking another to win the game.

You're not gonna get better than Nugent with the NFL market. You're really not.

Plus. It's preseason. Chill out.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 02:49 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Besides the Panthers game, I really can't seem to think of a game where Nugent lost us a game or missed a clutch field goal.

I mean, Seahawks game he did great in. Yet no one gives him credit for making a field goal with literally no time on the clock and then kicking another to win the game.

They let Josh Brown go, who is now a top-5 kicker & way better than Nuge, and was better than him when we had him. The dont draft any kickers & dont sign any worthy free agents to challenge him. Nuge doesnt suck, but he isnt even above average. Point is, they dont even try to upgrade that spot when they should be. 
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 03:03 PM)Millhouse Wrote: They let Josh Brown go, who is now a top-5 kicker & way better than Nuge, and was better than him when we had him. The dont draft any kickers & dont sign any worthy free agents to challenge him. Nuge doesnt suck, but he isnt even above average. Point is, they dont even try to upgrade that spot when they should be. 

Josh Brown was a mistake to let go. No doubt about that.

But there's little to no market right now. There's Graham and Scobee. Both have DEFINITELY lost more games than they've won. We all remember Graham. And Scobee was just terrible last year.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 02:49 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Besides the Panthers game, I really can't seem to think of a game where Nugent lost us a game or missed a clutch field goal.

Yeah, i keep hearing all of this Nuge hate but this is what i keep remembering. I don't remember the guy costing us
games like Shayne Graham or anything. Sure, Josh Brown should of beat him out here and that is on the coaches but
Nuge is better than some guy we would have no faith at all in. Little late for this.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 03:03 PM)Millhouse Wrote: They let Josh Brown go, who is now a top-5 kicker & way better than Nuge, and was better than him when we had him. The dont draft any kickers & dont sign any worthy free agents to challenge him. Nuge doesnt suck, but he isnt even above average. Point is, they dont even try to upgrade that spot when they should be. 

That will piss me off to no end until I die. I was LIVID the day the organization let josh brown go. The guy beat the steelers in Pittsburgh and clinched us a playoff spot only weeks before Mike Brown's bengals let him go in favor of a mediocre Buckeye  Whatever   
Reply/Quote

Yeah, um... Watch that kick again. He doinked it in by the grace of the football gods. Easily coulda shoulda woulda been a miss. Not exactly clutch when you get very lucky
Reply/Quote
Who doesn't hold their breath every time he lines up?

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 03:52 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yeah, um... Watch that kick again. He doinked it in by the grace of the football gods. Easily coulda shoulda woulda been a miss. Not exactly clutch when you get very lucky

I get why some don't like Nuge cause some of his makes even make me cringe.

I like a kicker who is straight down the middle everytime and if he misses one or two long ones or some in the wind so be it.

But when you have an easy kick you shouldn't be moving the ball right towards the left upright everytime.

But i still would keep Nuge over Graham or Scobee.
Reply/Quote
I like Nuge as a person a lot.

Reply/Quote

-Last year against the Broncos, Nugent missed a 45 yarder in a game that they ended up losing by 3. I believe a win there would have given the Bengals a 1st round bye. If he made it, it'd be OT, not a win, but still...

-The Carolina game you mentioned in 2014.

-In 2013, the Bengals lost in OT against the Ravens. Nugent missed a 42 yarder in the 2nd quarter of that game, which would have presumably made the OT a nonfactor. If they won that game, the Bengals would have had a first round bye since they would tie NE's 12-4 record, and beat NE that year.

....so yeah, good for about a loss a year for the last three years, and probably cost the Bengals a first round bye twice.  The last three years, he has ranked 23rd, 27th, and 23rd in FG %.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Denver last year.....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2016, 02:24 PM)phil413 Wrote: I didn't even realize that he's only had one good season in Cincy, and even 87% isn't amazing.  Everything else is in around 80.  I doubt they move on from him, but I'd keep an eye on the Saints kicking situation.  Barth has had a solid career and Forbath minus last year has put up great numbers.  You'd hate to have to mess with chemistry, but if Nuge has a bad preseason you'd have to consider one of those pros over Hocker...the guy the Saints gave up on last year.
Agree ^^^^^^^

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote